Please read - regarding picture posting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irelandwhispers

War Child
This was from another thread, but I felt it was important enough to create a separate thread for.

dsmith2904 said:
Okay, I just read this on MrTheEdge.com and thought it should be shared...

<--4-22-03--> Ok this isn't meant to offend anyone in the least so read it with
my best intentions in mind, but as of late i have found it harder and harder to
get into my own site when i need to. I would love to think that it's because
me and Edge just have SO many visitors that my server exploded but i think it's most
likely due to the fact that people are directly linking like crazy to the
pictures in the galleries. PLEASE, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, save the pics and
upload them elsewhere for use on your sites and/or for posting on forums or
livejournals. I hate that it has come to this but it's only fair to the other
people who are trying to gain access and cannot because there are 400 billion
pictures being directly linked to all over the web. thank you for your
cooperation!! and forgive me for being such a demanding hag of a webmistress!
much love ------- sarah

I know that I am utterly guilty of pillaging Sarah's site and its fab galleries and am very sorry to be causing her problems for that. With this, and the disappearance of Kristie's site and the possible disappearance of erised's site, we need to figure out a way to save Edge pics so we all can view them but no one's bandwidth is destroyed. I know a lot of people here save pics onto their personal servers/drives and can upload pics but non-premium members cannot view attachments and you can only attach something one time. Is there a free and easy way we can all start combining the Edge pics we have (on disk, from the Web, scans, etc) and have them be accessible to all? Hopefully this way we can continue to have really great, 20+ page long Edge days and save erised's gorgeous stills and not crash MrTheEdge.com on a weekly basis.

Thanks!!

Saving pics onto snapfish and linking from there works. You can have your account for a year without buying anything, so all these pics should last for a year...by then, we'll want new pics anyway. I know a lot of people don't like snapfish, but that isn't an excuse to steal bandwidth. I know I get pretty ticked off when I can't get to my own small, free site because it's been viewed too many times or too much has been downloaded. Maybe we ought to start a joint PLEBA snapfish account, or five PLEBA accounts (one for each band member, one for general U2 pics). There has to be a valid e-mail address, and somebody would have to volunteer their name to sign up for the account, etc. Then the password could be posted so all PLEBAns can get into the account and upload and/or view pics. Don't rely on snapfish to always be working, though...save pics to your hard drive to help back them up, so if the account gets closed for any reason all isn't lost. Sometimes snapfish goes down. Another issue I wonder about is whether you can have the same snapfish account open on more than one computer at a time. :shrug: I'm not sure about all this. I'm just trying to help get some brainstorming going.

If people are linking from their own personal webspace, they won't necessarily show up as attachments. The ones I post are more or less in my own small web space (that's why I don't post a whole lot of pics), and I don't even believe I can post attachments if I want to since I'm not a premium member.

Please post any comments you have. We have to find a solution, because free image hosting is practically nonexistent any more. I have seen a lot of image hosting sites disappear lately, and the ones that do exist are not accepting new members.

There is already a PLEBA Boomspeed account created by Kitty. It's very small when there are all PLEBAns uploading pics cos 1K is very few space, but it doesn't shrink pics at least. :shrug:

Another idea would be to do something sort of like Elvis is doing with the subscriptions...we could get some money together to buy some web space to link from.

Help me out here, will ya?

FallingStar said:
There is already a PLEBA Boomspeed account created by Kitty. It's very small when there are all PLEBAns uploading pics cos 1K is very few space, but it doesn't shrink pics at least. :shrug:

Is there info about this account? The people who don't have web space or snapfish/boomspeed accounts need to be made aware of this info.

I don't think colllectiong money is such a good idea, cos I think many won't donate mone online (which was also a big problem for Elvis). And if ppl were willing to give money i think they would want to have their own site anyway.....:shrug:

I don't know, but that's what i think...

irelandwhispers said:

Is there info about this account? The people who don't have web space or snapfish/boomspeed accounts need to be made aware of this info.
There was a thread about it in PLEBAns.

User name: pleba. Password: pics.

After having my webshits page shut down with over 1000 pics on it, and losing accounts at several others, I bit the bullet and paid 6 bucks a month to get a boomspeed account with a 100MEG limit and unlimited posting. It is such a relief to finally know I wouldn't lose my pics, unless they shut their server down one day, which could happen. Before that I'd had a boomspeed account shut down, then a second one, then I paid. If you have one and get shut down, they will offer you a deal of $2 per month the first 3 months. If anyone wants to pay, it's a good and safe deal, and not that expensive. I know 3 other girls here who have paid.

Boomspeed will eventually shut down your free account, especially if you go over your limit and stay there. From what I've seen and what others have said, they seem to have audits/purges about every 3 months. They just had one a few weeks ago, so if you sign up for a new free account now, you are probably safe until June. I hate to put you up to this, but if you get shut down and don't decide to pay, you could always start a new one with a new email if you lose it. If you do pay, it is worth it, and I am very happy with mine. The only problem is you don't get thumbs so when you have a lot of files like me, they can get hard to look through! If anyone wants to subscribe, overall boomspeed is a good thing.

Right now, I have set up a free PLEBA boomspeed account for all girls to use. There's a thread about it in PLEBAns. There isn't much room, so delete what you aren't currently using (if it's yours!) It's at http://www.boomspeed.com/ and click on manage your existing account. Then put in username pleba and password pics. I thought this would be a good thing for girls who need to post a pic or host a sig or avatar and I hope it holds out. If you want to try your own boomspeed account, click on 'get a free 1 MEG account' and start one. It's easy. Don't even bother with all the questions, all you need is your name, email and password. Boomspeed DOES NOT shrink like snapfish and it's easier to work because you can always remember your addys without copy and pasting ( SO slow at snapfish!) A boomspeed addy is always the boomspeed address, plus your username, plus file name, .jpg/gif.
This is all I can suggest for now, if you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

*edit - I was typing mine while Falling Star's post came up, sorry about the double info! Thanks Falling Star!

Last edited:
mine too souly :mad:

Kitty, new members can't sign up for a new account aymore. they deleted mne and i can't get a new account. Too many ppl trying to register...

They have that sometimes. Keep trying, in a few days, they will let you sign up again (with a different email address) I know because I've seen it happen before ;)

Pic sources have been so frustrating for me and a lot of us. My wish is to one day have a domain and a HUGE website that can't be shut down with tons of space we can all use to upload our pics and get a url that will not be a red x!

One more site, http://www.clubphoto.com will let you post if you pay $14.95 a year, but they shrink your pics and limit your bandwidth. If you don't have an enormous collection you might want to check into them.

A long time ago, Elvis was saying he was going to have us upload pics and have the largest online source of U2 pics on this site and we could post them here. Maybe we should bring that back up on the suggest forum and see what's come of it!

Last edited:
A long time ago, Elvis was saying he was going to have us upload pics and have the largest online source of U2 pics on this site and we could post them here. Maybe we should bring that back up on the suggest forum and see what's come of it!

:up: thats a good idea :yes:

:uhoh: He will have enough work with all the other Interference stuff. Me won't ask....:reject:

Snapfish is slow but it works. Out of laziness I will admit I directly link most of my pics from other sites, but I do use my snapfish account as well. It's free and you don't need to give them any credit card info unless you buy something from them. Which could be something as small as film development or film, right? So I personally would not want to do a group type of thing because I can easily save it to snapfish and post from there. Yes it's slow and I have no idea how much slower it is for dial up users but it works.

Thanks for the tip on Villiage photos JamJar! I just signed up...testing....

image.asp

viewimage.asp

Last edited:
Jam Jar said:
one other place i go to for some of my stuff is Village Photos it's free, and you can store mp3s, gifs, and more..

I think I remember investigating village photos...either they weren't accepting new sign-ups or they changed it to a pay account, or maybe both? I do remember seeing that name among the free image hosting sites I investigated, though. Free image hosting is getting very, very scarce. I wouldn't be surprised if Boomspeed stopped new user signups too.

A problem with having Interference host all the pics might be copyright infringement. Those who took photographs might see their images and require us to remove them from the site.

Thanks for all the input, guys! We've got to stop stealing bandwidth. It's not cool.

:( What did I do wrong Jam? I got the properties and added the tags, has this ever happened for you? :(

Why not just sign-up for a Premium Membership???

This was ONE of the reasons I created Premium Memberships... it will allow you to attach (and relink attached images within the forum).

There is no limit per person of how many images, but there is a 100kb file size limit which is pretty large for a picture.

The only thing is I've made it so that these images can NOT be displayed anywhere but on this forum. This was needed to prevent bandwidth theft.

Here is an example of an image which was already attached by someone in another thread in PLEBA:

attachment.php

Right click on it, view the properties... see the link.

By becoming a Premium Member you get what you need for picture storage AND you help support the site....

not to mention.. it's pretty inexpensive, especially considering I haven't placed a limit on how many pics any one person can attach.

arw9797 said:

erised has a site?

tells you how much I know
:reject:

Not a web site, per se... I have web space (that's provided by my employer) that I use to upload pics and stuff to post here on PLEBA...

:hmm: I suppose if I had organized all the pics, tossed in a few pretty graphics and provided a menu, I could've called it a web site.

Too late now... :sigh:

*uploads 133 pics at one time to snapfish*

I :heart: my high-speed connection. I'll try to post more pics from now on.

Elvis: Doesn't uploading pics to the Interference server or whatever use up too much bandwidth? Isn't that why the premium membership thing was started? (Forgive me...I haven't been at Interference that long and am fairly new to the web in general.)

ABOUT BOOMSPEED!!!

A short while ago I opened a free account on Boomspeed without reading there rules first. Well last Saturday my free account was disabled. I went to the Boomspeed message board and found out why my account was disabled and its because Boomspeed does not allow free account users to link images to other web sites. Free account users can only link there images to auction sites like Ebay. So several people in violation of the Boomspeed linkage rules, like myself, had there accounts disabled and the only way you could get your pictures back was to upgrade to the $6 account.
Now i have all my pics saved on disks so I wasent worried about not being able to get my pictures back but I really like Boomspeed because it doesn't shrink my images and its fast so I gave in and upgraded to the $6 account. I have a Snapfish account but I try not to go there because everytime I do i feel like ripping my hair out.

Anyway I advise you guys not to use the Boomspeed PLEBA acount because if the Boomspeed people find out that images are being linked from that account then the PLEBA account will be disabled.

SpanishEyes21 said:

Anyway I advise you guys not to use the Boomspeed PLEBA acount because if the Boomspeed people find out that images are being linked from that account then the PLEBA account will be disabled.

I thought the PLEBA account was paid for by the person that opened it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

irelandwhispers said:

I thought the PLEBA account was paid for by the person that opened it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The person that opened the PLEBA account opened a free account which does not allow direct linking of images to other web sites. Free acounts can only link to action sites.
But upgrading to the $6 account will allow the person to link anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom