Mother's Day !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissMaCo

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Help ! I need your help ! Tomorrow's Mother's Day and because of a hard week, I still haven't found :)wink: ) a present for my mommy ! My brother and my sister have already taken the best ideas !:rant:
What are you going to offer to your mum ?
Give me ideas ! Pleeeeease !

In America we had it last month :huh: I started a Mother's Day thread for Ali and somebody told me in Ireland it was not the same day. I guess every country has a different one.

In Belgium we have mother's day the 2nd sunday of may and father's day the 2nd sunday of june. So next week it's father's day on election day!
Don't know about France though:shrug:

Well, in fact I've found something : beauty products, always a good thing for mothers I think !
Hey Greety, I have some friends in Belgium although I've never been there :slant: Where do you live exctly ? I have some friends in Namur and... well, I can't remember the other place...
People from Belgium are so friendly ! :hug:
C ya !
:wave:

MissMaCo said:
Well, in fact I've found something : beauty products, always a good thing for mothers I think !
Hey Greety, I have some friends in Belgium although I've never been there :slant: Where do you live exctly ?

Well I live in St-Truiden, just above the language-border in the flemish part of the country. About 35 kms from Li?ge. You know where that is?

People from Belgium are so friendly ! :hug:
C ya !

Aww:hug::cute: that is so sweet! I don't know if we all are, but a lot of ppl say that and they like coming here because of our hospitality. So thanks :wave:

She was very happy ! Don't you speak French in Belgium ?
I mean, my friends there speak French, so :shrug: Maybe there are spots in Belgium were French is not spoken. I speak English and I have to practise a lot because I've just passed my written exams to become an English teacher, but the toughest part is the oral part. At the end of the month I'll go to Poitiers (middle of France) and then in Toulouse (south of France) so as to take the oral exams. The weather is already hot here in Normandy, so I can't even imagine how hot it will be in the south ! :drool:
So ironic to take exams in a hot month ! :mad:
I hope I'll hear from you again !
If you don't mind, I'll put you in my buddies list, I don't really know what its real aim is except perhaps to see if you're on the forum at the same time as me : :up:
Have a nice new week !
Marie :wave:

well I know that mother's day in the UK is in march....but I couldn't tell you what date. Hang on.........

right. I've googled it, and mother's day in the UK and Ireland is the 4th Sunday of Lent:

Motherhood has been celebrated through the ages. The earliest tributes to Mother's Day date back to the annual spring festival the Greeks dedicated to Rhea, the mother of many deities, and to the offerings ancient Romans made to their Great Mother of Gods, Cybele. Christians celebrated a Mother's Day of sorts during a festival on the fourth Sunday in Lent in honour of Mary, mother of Christ. In 17th century England this day was expanded to include all mothers and called Mothering Sunday. In North America, the idea of Mother's Day was first suggested in 1872 as a day for women and mothers to join in promoting peace.

Since then, Mother's Day has spread and is now celebrated around the world, though not always on the same day.

England, Wales, Scotland, R.O. Ireland:
4th Sunday of Lent (always in March/April)

US, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, and most other countries that celebrate Mother?s Day: 2nd Sunday in May

and from a different website:

Think one Mother's Day a year simply isn't enough? American moms can get a second dose of attention a month later by celebrating France's Fetes des Meres on June 6. A French tradition that was inaugurated by Napoleon and made official in 1950, this day honoring mothers dates back to Ancient Greece and is found in several countries.

In France, the tradition calls for a variety of honors for mother. She might receive a gift from her children, or the children might let mom (or mere) relax, and, as all things in France, it usually culminates in a large dinner in mom's honor. These dinners are usually a major family affair.

The main thrust is that this is a day when, much like in America, mothers do not work and their families cater to their whims. Mothers here also usually get cards and flowers. Sometimes children write short poems for mom.

Why not offer your mom a chance for two Mother's Days in a year. She doesn't need to get another full-blown Mother's Day, but perhaps moms can get a nice dinner or even a poem. Just in the interests of exploring other cultures and customs, of course.

Thanks Bammo for this explanation. I had no idea it was so different in other places.

mothers do not work and their families cater to their whims. I like that but it usually doesn't work out for me that way. I still get to do the cooking:| but maybe that's for the best:wink:

I think Bono knows about these other dates though. A few years ago I read a radio-interview where his was talking with a US radiostation. A few days before Mother's day (then it was may8th, thursday) they had the mum in of one of the guys of REM and Bono had promised to call in.
They were talking about MDay and how that year (1998 I think) it co-incided with his and his daughter's birthday on may 10th. But he never said it was celebrated in march in Ireland. That's why I assumed it the same as we have it here.

It's good to know about other traditions in other countries though:yes:

Last edited:
MissMaCo said:
She was very happy ! Don't you speak French in Belgium ?
I mean, my friends there speak French, so :shrug: Maybe there are spots in Belgium were French is not spoken. I speak English and I have to practise a lot because I've just passed my written exams to become an English teacher, but the toughest part is the oral part. At the end of the month I'll go to Poitiers (middle of France) and then in Toulouse (south of France) so as to take the oral exams. The weather is already hot here in Normandy, so I can't even imagine how hot it will be in the south ! :drool:
So ironic to take exams in a hot month ! :mad:
I hope I'll hear from you again !
If you don't mind, I'll put you in my buddies list, I don't really know what its real aim is except perhaps to see if you're on the forum at the same time as me : :up:
Have a nice new week !
Marie :wave:

Hi Marie,

Yes, there's is a part of our country that doesn't have french as native language. The north (the majority) speaks flemish (=sort of dutch). I thought you were aware of that since you live so close by Belgium. So in Namur they speak french but I live just above that language- border in the north.
And in the east there is a small community that speaks german, so we are a bit of a melting pot:wink:

We do get french in school as second language (most schools anyway) but I'm afraid my english is much better than my french.

Thanks for putting me in your buddy list:hug: you are on mine too.
But you're right, us non-members can only see who is online, we can't pm. But if you'd like to mail me,you're welcome. My addy is

greet.moria@telenet.be

I might even practice on my french :wink:

So you are going to the south for your exams? I thought you mentioned you were going on holiday there. We'll be there one week (1st of august) and it is probably going to be HOT again. It certainly was last year!

PS MissMaCo,

Do you live anywhere near the places were the D-Day ceremonies took place yesterday?

Well absolutely, I live in Normandy, and as I've already said in another thread, yesterday was a very moving day, although I don't live in the EXACT place where all this happened.
My addy is missma76@hotmail.com
you can write in English or in French if you prefer to practise a little !
It's great you're going to the south of France for your holidays, where exactly ? I think it's gonna be a hot summer this year too cause it's already hot here ! :drool: :drool: :drool:
So hard to study when the weather's so fine ! :(
Have a nice day / evening !

MissMaCo said:

Well absolutely, I live in Normandy, and as I've already said in another thread, yesterday was a very moving day, although I don't live in the EXACT place where all this happened.

I missed that! In which thread did you post that??

It's great you're going to the south of France for your holidays, where exactly ? I think it's gonna be a hot summer this year too cause it's already hot here ! :drool: :drool: :drool:
So hard to study when the weather's so fine ! :(
Have a nice day / evening !

We're going to Besse-sur-Issole, a very small town about 20 km from Brignolles. It' about 45kms north of Hy?res (Mediterranian sea)
So it seems it will be very hot. Lovely in a car without airco!!! and it is a long drive (1100 kms) but we do it in 2 days,still...

Back
Top Bottom