making some slightly different u2 art.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
....that I wonder whether any one would be interested in seeing.

That is, when it gets done :rolleyes: :laugh:. What with holiday projects still to be done, and my more professionally [in subject matter & mediums] directed art-making projects in the forefront I can only spend so much time with doing these...

here's why they would be different.

WHen I was in my early-mid teens I copied directly from photos for my favorite bands/rock stars.

But as I grew in my art making abilities, I used photos only as references, to make art that looks very similar but not always 'photo-perfect.

When I had access to a vcr <till I got my own. 2 yrs back> used a special technique of stopping say a u2 vid just yesterday [but i've done non-music fandom/zine art, too] at fairly close time perform to refine my abilities to capture them better on paper.

In my other fandom zines SOme people only liked just about exact copies in art mediums, usually head/shoulder photos.

My art would be full figures to part figures with usually full backgrounds, to maybe waist high usually in physical /or strong pshychological expression, but drawn on my own with references to look at. I had enough readers who loved this type of ary to have editors ask me back to do stuff .

I am wondering would anyone be intersted in this type of art....u2 performing, though not eleaborate background, if any.?

In rock & roll I had seen The Who [origsanl & after} so mant times close-up and taken many photos of them-- I had my own mini-rteference library :D, plus magazine articles & photobooks of their concerts that I could draw them from 'scratch' without any materials in front of me. "just' my memories & art skills.

With u2, as I'ved:blahblah: bemoaned here -UNTIL BROOKLyn- I'd never been closer at concert say than ? 50? yards, or some what closer 25? yards BUT back of the stage seats.

I finally got a copy [ more than a day late and a dollar short-- feels like i missed the whole dinnerparty! :(}- the best of U2 vids 1990 - 2000! Remeber 'privaty Idaho by the B 52's? This was my own private droolfest, once the roomate left for the day/eve!

I worked to copy some of the Beautiful Day 'stills', to get more of the subtlities I mentioned above.

But then I spent from around 10PM till 4AM doing Imaginary Concert photography art based partly on the clothes they wore for NYC/Brooklyn and changes of my own.

I did them to '2 songs' "Yaweh" & LOPOE imagiing how they'd look doing those. I'm still working on them.

Would you be intersted in seeing them. I don't have interent acess and only web-based e-mail. I'm gonna do them for my own joy/pleasure,\ anyway, but i'd take dome work to get thhem onto INF. SO please let me know.

Last edited:
I suck as a figure drawer, so there's no way I could do pix of the guys. Some PLEBA girls are terrific figure drawers and have done some awesome U2 art. If I ever did any kind of "U2 art" it'd have to be inspired by one of their songs or whatever. Believe it or not I've never done a direct U2-inspired work. I think it is because my stuff is so instinctual. Also, we are into different art forms. They're musicians, I'm a visual artist. Some of my stuff *is* a protest against violence and injustice so it's sort of on the same wavelength, you might say. Anyway, I'm definitely interested in your work. I'm always trying to improve my stuff to keep it interesting and I always want to see other artists' stuff to learn something new. You have to keep it interesting or you'll get stale. That means staying a little restless.

Last edited:
now you reminded me, verte

verte76 said:
I suck as a figure drawer, so there's no way I could do pix of the guys. Some PLEBA girls are terrific figure drawers and have done some awesome U2 art. If I ever did any kind of "U2 art" it'd have to be inspired by one of their songs or whatever..... Some of my stuff *is* a protest against violence and injustice so it's sort of on the same wavelength, you might say.

I had actually wanted to mention the other type of U2 art I might do, Verte, in my original post but I was very much running out of time where i was on the computer earlier in the day. Now I'm at the netcafe. :D.

After this u2 concert stuff- somewhen down the road is the kind where while i might or might not have them somewhere in the image- it would be about interpetting a song or partial lyrics in a song. Right now 'm thinking one or two from the new album. But that's evn further down the road. I'll give myself plenty of time over the rest of the holiday season to work on the concert pieces, as another Christmas present to myself. I need all I can get :lol: !

Ah, I usually turn to poetry for my socio-political expression . I can turn out good poetry {IMHO, but some real serious lit/poetry friends of mine love most of my infrequent stuff} within one to several hours, or a day or two- espcially when something wonderous or absolutely horrid has/or is about to happen.

Art often takes longer for me. Though there have been times where i've been able to turn out at least some quality sketches fastish for socio-political expression.

BTW???? who has done good U2 figure art here. I,ve only seen head/shoulders art here. Please enlighten moi.

Back
Top Bottom