Lola's at it again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well even if they WERE taxed 90%, they're still probably making ten times as much as any of us and we manage.

Sorry I thought you meant TLC the channel, not the group :lol:

U2Kitten said:
Thanks for the explaination, biff.

I got the 'as high as 90%' from stories abou the Beatles ("Should 5% appear too small, be thanksful I don't take it all"), and from a TLC Behind the Music where one of the girls stated one of the reasons they went bankrupt was because they were in the '90% tax bracket.' Guess they were exaggerating.

Remember the Beatles are in the UK not Ireland. There was a period of time, not sure what it's like now, that many artist left England on what they called tax exile because if they stayed out of the country for a certain period of time they didn't have to pay taxes in England. This was because the tax structure was horrible and could easily have been up to 90% tax.

As for charitable deductions, I don't know what Ireland's provisions are for charitable deductions but you cannot assume that just because we have tax breaks for that in America that Ireland has anything similar.

As for Lola, she could have ended this at any time by returning the stuff. I for one think U2 was right to stick to their guns and not be embarrassed into giving up. Personal betrayal is a very big deal to them and that combined with the fact that their initial attempt to settle matters was met with the threat of the book publishing is why they persued this. Just because they are rich doesn't mean they should just roll over and take that to avoid potentially embarrassing press. They stuck to their principle in spite of how silly the press painted the whole thing and I admire them for it. Just look at how many ridiculous law suits are brought that get settled out of court not because the defendants are guilty but because they don't or can't handle the negative press. It's good to see someone stand firm in the face of ridiculousness and win. Don't forget that in spite of her bitching U2 has waived her repayment of their legal fees which the court awarded them so the debts she has are her own legal fees. If they were really the unfeeling bastards she has attempted to paint them as they would be knocking down her door to get her to pay up. As someone else stated earlier I guess she hasn't had any luck pedalling her story to the tabloids. My guess is that either what she had left to say amounted to nothing or the fact that it is 20 years out of date made it not worth the money she wanted.

Dana

rihannsu said:

As for Lola, she could have ended this at any time by returning the stuff. I for one think U2 was right to stick to their guns and not be embarrassed into giving up.

Also, it was not just about who the stuff belonged to, but the defamation suit. If U2 lost, she would be able to then sue them for defamation. Losing the property in the original civil suit meant she has no legal grounds to sue them for defamation.

U2 avoided a potentially damaging civil suit (financially and as far as PR) when Lola lost her case and the appeal.

U2Kitten said:

Read the post, the girls from TLC. (Chilly, Lisa left eye, I forget the other one's name)

Maybe they did blow all their money. I'm just saying one of them claimed they were in the 90% tax bracket, so I assumed such a thing existed. Maybe it was just an excuse.

T-bone... dont'ask me how I know this :uhoh:

U2Kitten said:

Did you know Bono didn't even acknowledge the African Well Fund, which online fans started in his honor, until one of them met him at an airport and brought it up? Then some kind of statement was issued. I would have expected him to publically praise the charity and match the funds. If ordinary working folk can raise 18,000 for 18 wells, why wouldn't he match it, if he cares as much as he says? I was very disappointed about that.

Not sure where you heard that but none of the 10 people that started AWF have ever met Bono at an airport. I can assure you of that. And Bono has acknowledged AWF in a written statement to the organization in 2003.

Also, while AWF was inspired by Bono's work and is heavily supported by U2 fans, it is not affiliated with U2. If he did match anything, I would think he would not want it publicized much like any of U2's charity contributions are not publicized.

Last edited:
Maybe it wasn't a founding member but just a donor. I remember the post well. The person met him at an airport, asked him about it, and he didn't seem to have heard of it until she explained. Then soon after came the acknowlegement. I doubt it ever would have come if not for the chance meeting. I really don't think Bono actually gives a hoot about the charity. It seems like something he'd be praising all over the world, but he never mentions it. I really think this shows just how not quite so sincere he really is. :reject:

rihannsu said:

Remember the Beatles are in the UK not Ireland. There was a period of time, not sure what it's like now, that many artist left England on what they called tax exile because if they stayed out of the country for a certain period of time they didn't have to pay taxes in England. This was because the tax structure was horrible and could easily have been up to 90% tax.

Dana

Duh, I KNOW that! I was stating that even if Irish artists have to pay 43% now it's still better than what US and UK artists have had to pay all along, and I used the Beatles as an example. I am well aware of all the UK stars living in tax exile, Jagger and Plant two of the most notorious.

U2Kitten said:
Maybe it wasn't a founding member but just a donor. I remember the post well. The person met him at an airport, asked him about it, and he didn't seem to have heard of it until she explained. Then soon after came the acknowlegement. I doubt it ever would have come if not for the chance meeting. I really don't think Bono actually gives a hoot about the charity. It seems like something he'd be praising all over the world, but he never mentions it. I really think this shows just how not quite so sincere he really is. :reject:

Maybe he just didn't hear of it? And why does Bono have to talk about something in order to sincerely do something about it? He wrote a statement, means he acknowledges it and he's thankful for that... isn't that enough? What DO you want? Him mentioning AWF in every single speech? On tours before One being mentioned?

Do you sincerely think that Bono hasn't got anything better to do?

U2Kitten said:

So . . . just what did he do that has turned you so sour against him? :(

if U2 did actually publicise any of the amounts the have donated privately to charities in the past....people would criticise them for boasting about it and probably accuse them of doing it for publicity or what not...same as many people accused Bono and Bob Geldof of doing Live 8 for publicity and ego boost.....particularly the British press love accusing celebrities of that :madspit:

and i agree with comment earlier about no matter how much money Bono gives away privately, the amount of time and effort put in by him, plus the money he may give privately, could no where near match the achievements he has gained through his lobbying and campainging of politicians, and also of creating worlwide awareness of these problems

if bono gave all his money away then it would not be beneficial to him..obviously! no one is that stupid...especially when he has a family to support....and even if he did give a large sum of it away....its only a fraction of what is needed to deal with the massive problems he is working with. it may be a short term fix for a tiny bit of the world but its not just money that is needed to create change. what about educating people to about disease, sex and life skills, and change political attitudes and the way we trade with third world countries etc.

i can see why people outside the U2 circle would see Bono as a hypocrite, and in a way i thought that at first (and about the whole band not just Bono). but i also thought well who in their right mind would want to lose that much money in tax??? U2 work hard for their money, as a lot of people in this world do. would you be happy if you had to pay that much tax? they are just trying to run a business.

and on the Lola thing....which i only just remembered that this thread was about her and her silly ramblings :reject:
well i dont really need to comment....all i will say is she is LAME. why is she STILL going on about this???

she needs to build a bridge and get over it.....preferably the bridge should lead to somewhere far far away from here!!!

and the beat goes on....:corn: :lmao:

(no disrespect personally meant to nikkyjade - I just find this whole discussion hilarious because NO ONE here knows the truth about what actually happened between Cashman and PM.

U2Kitten said:

WTF? He's talked about wells and clean water for Africans in every one of his speeches I've heard him give in the past several years. You can call him a hypocrite and insincere, but it's obvious you haven't been paying one lick of attention to what he's been saying and doing lately.

Of course he wouldn't know about the charity until he was told. Kind of like most people don't give a shit about Africa until Bono mentions it. Funny how that works. Now we have proof that Bono HAS officially acknowledged the AWF, what more do you want?

I'd like to add my own two cents here:

Being a citizen of East Africa, I have been to Kenya and Uganda besides living in Tz all my life before coming here, and I knew Bono from all the news coverage of him doing his utmost to eradicate our debt as well as do as much as he could towards getting clean water to Uganda.

To be honest, he's the one celeb who has put his money where his mouth, unlike plenty of others who are into Africa just because it's the cool thing to do these days.

:up:

Jamila said:

(no disrespect personally meant to nikkyjade - I just find this whole discussion hilarious because NO ONE here knows the truth about what actually happened between Cashman and PM.

Since you seem to be the authority on everything Bono why don't you enlighten us with your infamous wisdom...:| :eyebrow:

Babydoll said:
I'd like to add my own two cents here:

Being a citizen of East Africa, I have been to Kenya and Uganda besides living in Tz all my life before coming here, and I knew Bono from all the news coverage of him doing his utmost to eradicate our debt as well as do as much as he could towards getting clean water to Uganda.

To be honest, he's the one celeb who has put his money where his mouth, unlike plenty of others who are into Africa just because it's the cool thing to do these days.

:up:

A coworker of mine who is from East Africa too mentioned this to me. She did not know anything about U2 but was very aware of Bono's hard work in Africa.

Jamila said:
I just find this whole discussion hilarious because NO ONE here knows the truth about what actually happened between Cashman and PM.

Uh, yeah we do. Cashman tried to cash in on some stuff she alleges was given to her by the band, PM's attorney issued her a document claiming the items did not belong to her and should be returned, she considered that defamation and wanted to bring suit against U2, a court ruled twice that the items do in fact belong to U2, thus the defamation suit is null and void.

Civil court cases aren't celebrity gossip. There are official transcripts, legal documents, and court rulings.

I guess some people are just easily amused.

As to the "gossip" aspect of this, I still feel that Cashman is looking around for a deal with a tabloid, or even hoping that PM themselves will quietly pay her off to keep her silence. Look at these comments. She has said very much the same thing in each of her recent interviews:

"They feared the things I didn't say more than the things I did....I know a lot of personal information about the band that no one else would know.

"But I know they were angry about even the small details I included in the book. I believe they were concerned that I might spill more details in the future and wanted to silence me.

There's still an implied threat here, IMO.

biff said:
I guess some people are just easily amused.

As to the "gossip" aspect of this, I still feel that Cashman is looking around for a deal with a tabloid, or even hoping that PM themselves will quietly pay her off to keep her silence. Look at these comments. She has said very much the same thing in each of her recent interviews:

There's still an implied threat here, IMO.

yea you're right, first she was after the bands money,and now she can't get any of that she'll take any money she can get... :tsk: some people...

nikkyjade said:
if bono gave all his money away then it would not be beneficial to him..obviously! no one is that stupid...especially when he has a family to support....

Anita Roddick, founder of the Body Shop, declared years ago she would give away her whole fortune and leave nothing to her children. I can't remember the whole quote but it was on the lines that she had made her way in the world and created her own destiny and she wanted her children to do likewise and not just inherit a living.

Sounds reasonable.

Jamila said:

From what I remember from Lola's book (and no, I didn't buy it :rolleyes: ) her real bitch was with Principle, not the members fo the band as such. I'd like to know what goes on in the shadowy background too :wink:

Liesje said:

WTF? He's talked about wells and clean water for Africans in every one of his speeches I've heard him give in the past several years. You can call him a hypocrite and insincere, but it's obvious you haven't been paying one lick of attention to what he's been saying and doing lately.

OF COURSE he does!! He's the one who brought it up! That is what inspired the African Well Fund! THAT is why I find it so sad and strange that he never acknowledged it until after someone put him on the spot, he never mentions it in any of his speeches, and I am sure he doesn't donate, or he'd make an open plea for others to do the same.

Of course he wouldn't know about the charity until he was told. Kind of like most people don't give a shit about Africa until Bono mentions it. Funny how that works. Now we have proof that Bono HAS officially acknowledged the AWF, what more do you want?

Well, no, it was all over the internet, and the AWF had sent stuff to management about it when they gave him the wells a s a present, waybefore he ever acknowledged it. The problem I have with his 'acknowledgement' is that he only did it after he was put on the spot. I really thought coming from the hearts and small purses of fans it would mean a lot more to him than that.

And as far as 'putting his money where his mouth is', NO he doesn't. He puts his mouth where his mouth is, he talks about it all the time, but he doesn't give money.

Ever wonder why Bono doesn't sing "Gloria" anymore? "Oh Lord, if I had anything, I would give it to you..." Now he has so much but he isn't willing to give it away, so he feels guilty singing it!

I really don't want to feel like I'm "Bono bashing" here, but I do think you devotees need to see the other side to understand how non fans and most average people see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom