I gate crashed the Breakfast on Pluto premiere and...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Niamh_Saoirse said:
...got to talk to Bono again. :lol:

First, we were outside of the cinema and got a few pictures and after Bono went in, we noticed a little side door and sneaked in. Bono and Ali (she looked absolutely stunning as usual!) were upstairs having a drink and then came downstairs. When he was about to go into the room to watch the movie, I asked him if I could get my pic taken with him and he said: Oh, I'm so sorry but I really have to go or I'll miss the missus! lol Ali had gone in without him and he was trailing behind her. lol But he grabbed my arm and my hand and smiled. :drool:

I have a little video where you can hear him saying that, so I'll post it in a little bit.

Flavia

Well done hun, how long you in Dublin for.

My Sis and I are flying in next Friday, we have never been to Dublin before and cannot wait!

Lets just hope that B stays where he is for the time being and we can try and meet him.

Lisa

Jamila said:
Is gate-crashing legal?

And is it ethical?

Did Bono seem to appreciate it?

Just some legitimate questions to ask. :huh:

First, I wouldn't exactly call that gate crashing. It made for a catchy title.

Secondly, Bono was in a public setting. Flavia was clearly not the only fan there. And I didn't notice her being disrespectful by any definition of the word.

Third, Bono has always been good to his fans. He wouldn't show if anyone's presence there was a hinderance to his enjoyment of the night.

Just some answers from my point of view. :)

Most importantly, Flavia, I am so happy for you, girl! What an exciting and memorable night for you! :hug:

Just a quick note as I am on my break and work is mad today: for those who questionned my "gate crashing" the premiere, I thought I would let yous know I just used that term as a joke. Second, anybody could go in as the cinema continued with its business as usual and the people who had tickets for other screenings could go in through a side door, which is what I did. I just stood behind the journalists and talked to B when he was going into his screening room.

And the security guys saw me inside and didn´t say anything. They even said: Did you get talk to your man? Brilliant! That goes to show how relaxed things were.

I´ll post the whole story when I get home so you can put your mind at easy knowing that your beloved Bono wasnt being stalked by a crazy fan. *note the irony*

Niamh_Saoirse said:
And the security guys saw me inside and didn´t say anything. They even said: Did you get talk to your man? Brilliant! That goes to show how relaxed things were.

:up:

livi40 said:

It would be nice if people could ask questions like these without being attacked for playing devil's advocate.

And before anyone accuses me of being hypocritical (someone implied that Jamila might not be so opposed to gate-crashing if she were the one doing it herself), here's a little story:

In 1993, I was in Dublin with a group of other girls. With approximately 20 other people, we rented a bus that drove around Dublin looking at the various U2 sites -- Mount Temple, Ballymun, boyhood homes, etc.

The final stop on this tour was Bono & Ali's home. The bus parked outside of the gate and everyone got out. Most of us were huddled around hoping that someone might come by and open the gate so we could see (or possibly sneak) into the grounds. Some of us were looking to see if there was any possible way to scale the fence.

We all noticed that, at the top of this very tall fence, there are pieces of broken glass laid into the stucco. And it suddenly occurred to me (I was 18 at the time and perhaps a bit slow) that these were the steps that Bono and Ali felt were necessary to keep people like us OUT. At that same moment, I felt so ashamed for even being there and one of my friends and I got back on the bus and waited until the others tired of waiting.

It's one thing to stand near the red carpet at a premiere, get pictures and autographs, etc. The celebrity is expecting that. It's another thing to sneak into a side door and confront them after they've left the red carpet.

We all have our personal lines to draw. I drew mine in 1993. Please don't attack Jamila for asking valid questions. It's your right to disagree...but someone SHOULD be asking these questions.

Livi

there's a big difference between climbing over somebody's fence to meet them than getting an autograph at a movie premier....:yes:

That´s exactly what I was gonna say: one thing is to hang out outside their house (which I think it´s totally wrong) and a different one, trying to get to meet them at an event like this.

And as I said before, anybody could have gone in the same way I did because there were loads of people who were there to watch other films. As long as you didn´t jump the division between the media area and the rest of the hall, no one was gonna tell you anything.

MsGiggles said:

there's a big difference between climbing over somebody's fence to meet them than getting an autograph at a movie premier....:yes:

Yes...and I believe I said something to that effect:

"It's one thing to stand near the red carpet at a premiere, get pictures and autographs, etc. The celebrity is expecting that."

Livi

I´m living in Dublin because my bf is Irish. :D

And I know I didn´t do anything wrong because I know (and this can be confirmed by anybody who has met me in the past)how I behave when I´m around them: politely, respectfully and without freaking out.

Niamh_Saoirse said:
And I know I didn´t do anything wrong because I know (and this can be confirmed by anybody who has met me in the past)how I behave when I´m around them: politely, respectfully and without freaking out.

I think your avatar is a pretty good evidence of that... :yes:

Niamh_Saoirse said:
That´s exactly what I was gonna say: one thing is to hang out outside their house (which I think it´s totally wrong) and a different one, trying to get to meet them at an event like this.

And as I said before, anybody could have gone in the same way I did because there were loads of people who were there to watch other films. As long as you didn´t jump the division between the media area and the rest of the hall, no one was gonna tell you anything.

I think that there are a few things that have been said that may have prompted Jamila's questions. First of all, the use of the term "gate-crashing," whether said in jest or not, implies being in a place you were not supposed to be.

Also, in your initial post, you said: "First, we were outside of the cinema and got a few pictures and after Bono went in, we noticed a little side door and sneaked in." (Bold added for emphasis.)

The words "sneaked in" also indicate that this was not something that was intended to be. If they wanted people to go in through the side door, they would have made that obvious in some way. If it was truly all right, it wouldn't have been necessary to sneak in.

As I said before, each of us has our own line. I was simply saying that we shouldn't jump all over someone who asks questions that are entirely appropriate and SHOULD be asked.

Livi

No one is telling you not to ask questions. Everybody has the right to ask. Explanations have been given and as you can see there wasn´t any "dangerous" situation for Bono. If you have ever been to Dublin, you would know that the celebrity scene over here is not as it is in different countries, America for example. They do not organise parties, avant premiers etc as if the president of the United States was visting Afghanistan.

I just think you are blowing things out of proportion. If I had anything to hide, I wouldnt be explaining how things went last night.

Just chill.

Last edited:
Why is it necessary to attack people on here? People are so goddamn catty anytime someone meets the band. People need to get a freaking clue and stop acting like they are all high and mighty.

Flavia, I'm glad you got to meet Bono again! Wicked lucky. :) :hug:

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Just a quick note as I am on my break and work is mad today: for those who questionned my "gate crashing" the premiere, I thought I would let yous know I just used that term as a joke. Second, anybody could go in as the cinema continued with its business as usual and the people who had tickets for other screenings could go in through a side door, which is what I did. I just stood behind the journalists and talked to B when he was going into his screening room.

I´ll post the whole story when I get home so you can put your mind at easy knowing that your beloved Bono wasnt being stalked by a crazy fan. *note the irony*

I've got to get to work myself so I'll make this quick.

Now that more light is being shed on the situation, I think that helps. But at the time that the questions were being asked, none of this information was known and, in fact, the terms that were being used (gate crashing, sneaked in, etc.) all had very negative connotations.

The fact of the matter is, there ARE a lot of crazy fans out there. I actually knew of a fan who was blessed with the amazing opportunity to interview Bono. The interview took place in a restaurant setting. Bono had a cup of coffee and carrot stick(s) during the interview. Upon the conclusion of the interview, he left a little coffee and part of a carrot stick at his place. This fan drank the rest of the coffee, ate the rest of the carrot stick, and pocketed the coffee cup.

I'm not saying that this is anything like you or the way you are, please don't construe that. I'm simply saying that there are a lot of crazy fans out there and I think most of us ARE somewhat protective of Bono. God knows, none of us wants him to come to the same end as John Lennon.

I think that my whole point (I know, it takes a while for me to get there) is that it's amazing how quickly we jump all over someone who plays devil's advocate. Instead of looking at these as being valid questions and answering them accordingly, or even having a civilized discussion about them, so many immediately get defensive, post angry smilies, take the offensive.

We need to have people posting questions like this. And we need to have people posting their stories, their complete stories, to show others that there are appropriate times, places and means by which we can meet the band. CoeXisT...remember?

Livi

U2Girl1978 said:
Why is it necessary to attack people on here?

You're right...and I think that was my original point when everyone was attacking Jamila.

U2Girl1978 said:
People are so goddamn catty anytime someone meets the band. People need to get a freaking clue and stop acting like they are all high and mighty.

Hmm...that sounds like an attack!

Can we stop being hypocritical now?

Livi

livi40 said:

You're right...and I think that was my original point when everyone was attacking Jamila.

Hmm...that sounds like an attack!

Can we stop being hypocritical now?

Livi

Ahhh no that's not an attack. It's an observation of how people react with cattiness on here upon someone else meeting the band. If you can't be supportive of someone then don't bother posting.

ETA: This is Flavia's thread and how she went to the premiere. So let's leave it at that and not derail the thread. :)

Niamh_Saoirse said:
No one is telling you not to ask questions. Everybody has the right to ask.

On the contrary, many people attacked the person who was asking questions. What kind of message does that send?

Niamh_Saoirse said:
I just think you are blowing things out of proportion. If I had anything to hide, I wouldnt be explaining how things went last night.

Just chill.

I think everyone---EVERYONE---needs to just chill.

Livi

U2Girl1978 said:

Ahhh no that's not an attack. It's an observation of how people react with cattiness on here upon someone else meeting the band. If you can't be supportive of someone then don't bother posting.

ETA: This is Flavia's thread and how she went to the premiere. So let's leave it at that and not derail the thread. :)

Hmm. You might want to revisit your dictionary for definitions of "observation" and "attack." Using words like "goddamn" and "freakin" are not generally used in observations, but they are often part of attacks.

The questions, and my responses, are not cattiness about someone else meeting the band. Why is it that when someone asks questions, it's automatically assumed that they are only asking those questions because they're jealous? I have been fortunate enough to meet Bono, Edge and Adam more than once so jealousy really isn't the issue here.

"If you can't be supportive of someone then don't bother posting." So dissenting opinions that are expressed in an intelligent manner are not allowed? Sounds like censorship.

Livi

Back
Top Bottom