Funky Free Stylin'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
So I read this article in the LA Times about Morleigh and a film she made...

Concept is anything but pedestrian
May 1, 2003

By Chris Pasles, Times Staff Writer

Where most of us see a crosswalk, choreographer and filmmaker Morleigh Steinberg and butoh dancer Oguri see opportunity.

The two have been working together since the early 1990s, documenting Oguri's severe style of dance in various environments, including Joshua Tree's desert and, now, the City of the Angels. Steinberg came up with the idea of showing Oguri moving through two busy Los Angeles intersections. The result is the 11-minute dance film "Xing," which will be screened Friday at
the Getty Center during Dance Camera West.

"The concept was dancing within the timing of crossing a street and having your audience be people in cars, waiting for the light to change," said Steinberg, a founder of ISO Dance and former member of Momix Dance Theater who began working in film in 1994. It took a little time to think through the idea and find the right locations, she said. The film was shot in one day.

"Nothing was choreographed beforehand," Steinberg said. "Oguri doesn't choreograph, he improvises. But the shots are very specific and the direction is very specific. He knows that he has to get from point A to point B, but I don't mind how.

"The choreography is done in the edit: linking movements, how one shot ends and goes into the next. It's a wonderful way to make a dance. But it's not easy. The movements are different. They're not consecutive. But that brings life to the film and to the dance."

About 10 minutes into Oguri's dance at one of the intersections, Van Nuys Boulevard and Riverside Drive in the Valley, unexpected happened: The police arrived.

"I hear some voice," said Oguri, a native of Japan who has been a Los Angeles resident since 1990. " 'What are you doing?' And I looked and there were the police. I said, 'Yes, I'm dancing here.'

"I have in my head, 'Oh, if I say, I'm filming,' it would be a very clear answer for them. But I'm a dancer. I have a responsibility for my dance.

"It was really a scary moment," said Steinberg. "The whole day was scary. I felt we were escaping the cops all day. We didn't have any permits.

"But these were the nicest cops in Los Angeles. They could have thrown him in jail. He was in the middle of the street. I don't think legally you're allowed to hang out there."

Still, the incident had its silver lining: "When I saw that," Steinberg said, "I knew that was the ending."

...That got me thinking about Morleigh and Edge and dancing so how about the theme for this week being The Evanses and Edge showing off his slick moves. All other photos welcomed, too.

Lookie what I found!
2-picture3.gif

popmart feet!! isn't that the part of popmart mexico city...during some song...? i swear it is! i know i've seen that before! and i know i kept rewinding the tape to watch it again...:shifty:

edge dancing with larry:
3375663523232%7Ffp6%3A%3Dot%3E2328%3D7%3A%3A%3D66%3B%3Dxroqdf%3E2323385%3C578%3B3ot1lsi

be back with more pictures in a little bit

ok this is not part of the theme but I just found this picture yesterday. I cut out a few other people :evil:

I think Edge looks sooooo hot here :combust:

Attachments

• airportedge.jpg
    airportedge.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 157
ok this is not part of the theme but I just found this picture yesterday. I cut out a few other people :evil:

Attachments

• airportedge.jpg
    airportedge.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 108

Attachments

• airportedge.jpg
    airportedge.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 97
ok my computer did something funky and it posted this a few times. oops.

no clue how that happened. :shrug: but he looks hot so who cares.

Attachments

• airportedge.jpg
    airportedge.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I've always wanted this picture in color. I love Red Rocks Edge. So I did a little playing around with a program I have. I didnt spend too much time on it but it was the shirt I was going for.

Here's black and white
3375666%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3237%3E686%3E4%3A%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324862%3C737%3Bnu0mrj

with a little color
3375666%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Enu%3D3237%3E686%3E4%3A%3A%3Ewsnrcg%3D32324862%3C7535nu0mrj

dsmith2904 said:
So I read this article in the LA Times about Morleigh and a film she made...

Concept is anything but pedestrian
May 1, 2003

By Chris Pasles, Times Staff Writer

Where most of us see a crosswalk, choreographer and filmmaker Morleigh Steinberg and butoh dancer Oguri see opportunity.

The two have been working together since the early 1990s, documenting Oguri's severe style of dance in various environments, including Joshua Tree's desert and, now, the City of the Angels. Steinberg came up with the idea of showing Oguri moving through two busy Los Angeles intersections. The result is the 11-minute dance film "Xing," which will be screened Friday at
the Getty Center during Dance Camera West.

"The concept was dancing within the timing of crossing a street and having your audience be people in cars, waiting for the light to change," said Steinberg, a founder of ISO Dance and former member of Momix Dance Theater who began working in film in 1994. It took a little time to think through the idea and find the right locations, she said. The film was shot in one day.

"Nothing was choreographed beforehand," Steinberg said. "Oguri doesn't choreograph, he improvises. But the shots are very specific and the direction is very specific. He knows that he has to get from point A to point B, but I don't mind how.

"The choreography is done in the edit: linking movements, how one shot ends and goes into the next. It's a wonderful way to make a dance. But it's not easy. The movements are different. They're not consecutive. But that brings life to the film and to the dance."

About 10 minutes into Oguri's dance at one of the intersections, Van Nuys Boulevard and Riverside Drive in the Valley, unexpected happened: The police arrived.

"I hear some voice," said Oguri, a native of Japan who has been a Los Angeles resident since 1990. " 'What are you doing?' And I looked and there were the police. I said, 'Yes, I'm dancing here.'

"I have in my head, 'Oh, if I say, I'm filming,' it would be a very clear answer for them. But I'm a dancer. I have a responsibility for my dance.

"It was really a scary moment," said Steinberg. "The whole day was scary. I felt we were escaping the cops all day. We didn't have any permits.

"But these were the nicest cops in Los Angeles. They could have thrown him in jail. He was in the middle of the street. I don't think legally you're allowed to hang out there."

Still, the incident had its silver lining: "When I saw that," Steinberg said, "I knew that was the ending."

I would love to see that film! :hyper:

Back
Top Bottom