Does Bono Still Smoke?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Just wondering if he still does, even after his big cancer scare of circa-2000. I haven't really seen any pictures of him with a light, nor heard too much about it in recent years.

cant really help u on this one.

i remember he was doing an interview at a NY university before the release of HTDAAB and he lit one up on stage. last time i can remember.

bonosmokesym5.jpg

Malboro's in his pocket...

he's smoking here aswell
bonosmokebigdp5.jpg

so yea, I think he still smokes...

Galeongirl said:

he's smoking here aswell
[IMG]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2595/bonosmokebigdp5.jpg

so yea, I think he still smokes...

As terrible as it is and I don't want him too ... he does look really sexy there. Kinda french.

During the world exclusive HTDAAB article in Q from November 2004, it mentioned Bono's smoking.

Quote:

"It's never about competing with other bands," [Bono] says, lighting a cigarette. "We compete with ourselves, with the idea of not becoming crap like everyone else does. Because the only way you can justify living like this - with your fancy houses and no money problems - is surely not to be crap."

As Bono is cueing up his CD for a second time, Adam Clayton and Steve Lillywhite wander back. The latter has come to collect Bono for his final vocal of the record. He eyes Bono smoking, and smiles. "It makes a change for Adam and I to be watching over Bono's bad habits," he says.
"At least my habits are legal," replies Bono archly as he gets up.

The first is a VERY Bono quote, we've been hearing a lot out of the same cookie cutter, and I thought the second one was really funny. Meh, I guess it's old news by now, but it looks like he's still at it, and after this long God knows when he'll stop.

~A.j.~

I think he supposedly cut back a little. The doctor told him in 2001 he'd better stop or he will ruin his voice. At least you can see in Gg's picture that they are lights.

He so smart and talented, How could he be so foolish to keep smoking.

Unless, he quit recently and the weight gain is due to that.

another one..
bonolightingciggyweirdsweaterfk8.jpg

partygirlvox said:

As terrible as it is and I don't want him too ... he does look really sexy there. Kinda french.

he WAS looking kinda french there, was in france aswell I think...
NRJ awards 22 january 2005... he took the turtleneck off when he was inside tho.. accepted award in a black tee, and with a speech in French!
I found another one, from the other side
bononrjawardssmokelp8.jpg

I can't find the pic of him walking with the ciggarillio in his hand atm... maybe ask around in PLEBA and people have it...

fandangamoq, I hadn't heard that 2nd quote before :)

JCOSTER said:
I think he supposedly cut back a little. The doctor told him in 2001 he'd better stop or he will ruin his voice. At least you can see in Gg's picture that they are lights.

He so smart and talented, How could he be so foolish to keep smoking.

Unless, he quit recently and the weight gain is due to that.

I have to agree that it's really is a nasty habit and he really should give it up all together. And I also agree about your theory about him maybe having giving it up recently....it certainly would explain...errr....things....:shh:

;)

Pity he does...I wonder if that's part of what's killed his voice the last 10-15 years. What I wouldn't give to have the 80's Bono voice back.

CTU2fan said:
Pity he does...I wonder if that's part of what's killed his voice the last 10-15 years. What I wouldn't give to have the 80's Bono voice back.

Hmmm, I think I'd take 90s-00s raspier voice over his absolutely shittastic 80s vocal technique!

I'm guessing he still does, but not as much. There's not too many (if any) pics, probably because it's banned in so many places now, you're not even going to see him lighting up in his own pub!

Chizip said:
i dont understand why smoking is considered sexy

tar mouth :yuck:

Because its dangerous and rock and roll. And everyone says you shouldnt do it..

Yup, there's nothing sexier than destroyed vocal chords, heart disease, lung cancer and shorter life spans! :drool:

SpaceOddity said:
Yup, there's nothing sexier than destroyed vocal chords, heart disease, lung cancer and shorter life spans! :drool:

You can get most of those from alcohol abuse too, yet there isnt a thread asking when Bono is going to stop drinking is there?
Just an observation.

I don't really care if Bono smokes these days or not. But if I find out he's one of those smokers who treats the world like their personal ash tray and leaves their dirty butts all over the ground, then he and I are going to have words.

:madwife::

partygirlvox said:

You can get most of those from alcohol abuse too, yet there isnt a thread asking when Bono is going to stop drinking is there?
Just an observation.

Well, I'm not exactly a fan of his heavy drinking, either, so I would definitely say something similar. I'm just confused as to why you're supporting his smoking habits... there's absolutely nothing sexy about smoking with all of the proven health consequences. It's just insanely stupid - especially for singers, of all people.

I hold no love for tobacco, and it irritates me when people think it's "sexy," especially after witnessing the disastrous effects it's had on various people in my life. Sorry if I offended you...?

SpaceOddity said:

Well, I'm not exactly a fan of his heavy drinking, either, so I would definitely say something similar. I'm just confused as to why you're supporting his smoking habits... there's absolutely nothing sexy about smoking with all of the proven health consequences. It's just insanely stupid - especially for singers, of all people.

I hold no love for tobacco, and it irritates me when people think it's "sexy," especially after witnessing the disastrous effects it's had on various people in my life. Sorry if I offended you...?

No you didnt offend me! I just think its a matter of opinion - I agree that its a stupid thing to do and a dangerous thing to do, but I still find it sexy exactly because of the two latter reasons. I dont want him to die from it - but he does plenty of other dangerous things too and we can't stop him. Its a personal choice and I'm glad that he has stood his ground - if he wants to do it, he will.

partygirlvox said:

Just an observation.

Is he a known alcohol abuser ?

Big difference between being an alcoholic and those of us who like a cold beer on a hot day, or a glass of wine with dinner

My brother started smoking and I caught him with a pack of cigarettes the other day. You know what he said? "Well, Bono smokes."

:|

(He didn't start smoking because of Bono, by the way.)

toscano said:

Is he a known alcohol abuser ?

Big difference between being an alcoholic and those of us who like a cold beer on a hot day, or a glass of wine with dinner

Not that we're aware of...but some will say yes anyway because he sometimes gets seen with a drink in hand, or coming out of a pub, or admits to having a bit of drink before an infamous award show expletive incident, etc.

In fact, several months back someone came on here and asked if Bono was an alcoholic *because a person on another website* claimed he was! It was pointed out that the person in question often claimed things he/she couldn't back up, and one poster even pointed out that Bono couldn't keep up his globe-trotting activities if he was an alcoholic!

BTW, in an interview from last year, his wife said he was down to 3 cigarettes a day...so he does smoke, but not a heavy smoker.

Of course *some* folks carry on like he's a five pack-a-day man!

I've been hanging around here waaay to long... :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom