Bono to Be Honored for Humanitarian Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eberinu

The Fly
Bono to Be Honored for Humanitarian Work

U2 Lead Singer Bono to Be Honored for Humanitarian Work at 2004 King Center Awards

ATLANTA Dec. 2 ? U2 lead singer Bono will be recognized for his humanitarian work at an awards dinner hosted by the family of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr.

The Irish rock band's lead singer will be honored at the 2004 King Center "Salute to Greatness" awards dinner Jan. 17 in Atlanta.

"We are fortunate this year to honor Bono for exemplifying many of the qualities that my husband, Martin, indicated were imperative to moving our society into the beloved community of which he so often spoke," said Coretta Scott King, King's widow and the founder of the King Center.

Mrs. King pointed out Bono's work on behalf of Third World debt relief and on focusing attention on the AIDS crisis in Africa.

"He has focused mass public attention on the world's poorest continent and lobbied politicians around the globe to take action," she said in a statement.

On Saturday, Bono participated in a World AIDS day concert hosted by Nelson Mandela in Capetown, South Africa.

Awesome news! don't ya think? :D

>> ABC NEWS

Okay, I did something really impulsive so I hope it works out :reject:

I ordered a ticket to the dinner :hyper:

It was $200, but heck, it can be my x-mas present to me right? And I am working alot of overtime next week :reject: And I think the ticket is tax deductable because it counts as a donation to the King Center

I won't know till Monday if it's confirmed (they said they won't be processing credit card orders till Monday), but I'll let you guys know.

If anyone is interested, the number to order is (404)-526-8911 and the website info is at:

http://www.thekingcenter.org/holiday/stg.html

however, fyi, when I tried to order online, the link did not work when I clicked submit, that's why I did it over the phone.

Now I just have to think about getting a plane ticket :lol: There is no way I'm driving in Atlanta :no: I've been there twice and the traffic really scares me :reject:

I'm excited now :hyper: I hope I get a ticket :hyper:

Oh, and I asked the operator, Bono is going to be there :D

Wow, good work! I NEED another Bono road trip, but I'm gonna hold off for the tour (and stay in school, lol)....

oh, and I would LOVE a road trip to Atlanta! It's my favorite city to drive through!!!

Now I'm jealous :|

Gah! I would love to go, but I feel I must wait for the tour. Oh you have to tell us every detail!

:applaud:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
oh, and I would LOVE a road trip to Atlanta! It's my favorite city to drive through!!!

I love Atlanta but I'm always a nervous wreck trying to drive through the place. When I went to be Elevated in Atlanta in 2001, twice, the damn drive is something I could have done without. I think it takes U2 to get me to drive through the place.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

oh geez, i'd like to come with you!!!! but, USA is reallly far from Ireland... and i am run out of money...:sad: :sad: it sucks!!

so, have fun!!! i wish u the best!!! i send you all the luck possible in the world!!!! and keep us informed!!!

verte76 said:

I love Atlanta but I'm always a nervous wreck trying to drive through the place. When I went to be Elevated in Atlanta in 2001, twice, the damn drive is something I could have done without. I think it takes U2 to get me to drive through the place.:yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

I LIVE for the thrill of driving through Atlanta, muahahahaa!! It's my favorite part of driving to the Everglades. Believe me, on a 26 hour trip, you need SOME excitement, lol! A lot of major interstates cut through big cities in not-so-cool parts of town, but 14 lanes of I-75, right through amazing downtown Atlanta is awesome! Fortunately, I've only had to drive this leg once, and I found out the hardest part is just staying ON the right highway! But whenever I travel from Michigan to the Everglades, Atlanta is the one city I refuse to take the bypass around.

miss-U2 said:
oh geez, i'd like to come with you!!!! but, USA is reallly far from Ireland... and i am run out of money...:sad: :sad: it sucks!!

so, have fun!!! i wish u the best!!! i send you all the luck possible in the world!!!! and keep us informed!!!

I think my chances of meeting him might be slim though :(

http://www.thekingcenter.org/holiday/event/salute.html

I think for that, I would have to shell out the mega bucks to go to the "vip" reception or the "afterglow" reception - whatever that is :)

Anyway, they're supposed to call me tomorrow to confirm :)

I wouldn't worry about meeting him. If you get to see him speak, doing his thing, that is super cool! I am insanely jealous! :| :hug:

Last winter when I saw him twice on the Heart of America tour, just listening to what he had to say was far more meaningful than meeting him twice on those trips. I got to shake his hand, but then hundreds of crazy obsessed ladies older than my mother who apparently didn't care that he was in the US b/c of World AIDS Day just attacked him for autographs. It was one of those rare moments that you're ashamed to be a U2 fan. So yeah, my point is, if you have the chance to attend the event and hear him speak or get an award, DO IT!!!!!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I wouldn't worry about meeting him. If you get to see him speak, doing his thing, that is super cool! I am insanely jealous! :| :hug:

Last winter when I saw him twice on the Heart of America tour, just listening to what he had to say was far more meaningful than meeting him twice on those trips. I got to shake his hand, but then hundreds of crazy obsessed ladies older than my mother who apparently didn't care that he was in the US b/c of World AIDS Day just attacked him for autographs. It was one of those rare moments that you're ashamed to be a U2 fan. So yeah, my point is, if you have the chance to attend the event and hear him speak or get an award, DO IT!!!!!

Thank Liv :hug: You're right, that is the most important part :yes:

I wish all of you could go too :hug:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom