Bono quotes and quotes on DATA and AFRICA, NEEDED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamswildhoney

ONE love, blood, life
I need quotes from Bono and other ppl on the state of Africa right now! Im doing a speech on DATA and AIDS IN AFRICA for my class and I need more quotes and stats. I already look on datadata.org and got a lot of info but I need more! CAN YOU GIRLS help me!:wink:

From Oprah's:

I just want to just do-- I've got-- you know, we've got a spotlight on us. You're doing incredible things in Africa, and I have to talk to you about that. But, you know, I'm doing and I've-- I-- I'm just doing what everyone else would do if they had the time and the money. You know, because people-- U2 fans have given me a great life. I'm a spoiled rotten rock star. My kids, they don't have to worry about where they're going to school or paying their medical bills. In return-- there's kind of deal, I think. One, don't bend over, and two, you know, use this spotlight to shine on-- on-- on bigger problems that we-- that they can...
But at a certain point, I just felt, you know, God is not looking for alms, God is looking for action. And-- and there's a-- you know, there's problems-- you can't fix every problem, but the ones that you can, we've got to. There's people--two and a half million people are going to die of AIDS next year. We have the drugs. And I want to say, "Look, these are in Europe or America." These are-- these drugs-- see them as advertisements for American innovation and technology. And if you get those drugs to the poor places and you save lives, I think you're gonna make it a lot more difficult for extremist groups to whisper, you know, evil-minded ideas about America.
I like this one:
See, I-- I-- a mother-- you don't have to explain to a mother that the-- the life of a child in Africa has the same value as her child. You don't have to explain that. You might have to explain--you might have to explain, you know, people who come to-- you know, people who buy CDs. You might have to explain to-- you know, to-- to men, but not to women. This is the right show to say that.
WINFREY: One of the things-- one of the things I've heard you say is that this generation's gonna remember-- be remembered for the Internet...

BONO: That's right.

WINFREY: ...the war on terror and?

BONO: And how we let an entire continent, Africa, burst into flames while we stood around with watering cans, or not. And I think it's exciting to be part of a generation that actually says, no, now in-- with-- the world is a smaller place, distance cannot decide who is our neighbor to love. You know, love thy neighbor. It's not about distance anymore. And we can't afford not to. The world is too close, but there-- the fires that start in-- in Afghanistan, they reach our door.

On Thursday morning, Paul O'Neill and Bono make another visit which clearly affects them deeply; an orphanage and hospice run by the order of the Missionaries of Charity. Sister Benedicta, a German nun, takes them round the wards and down narrow alleys where dozens of patients - some emaciated, some disabled, but all dignified - wait for the heavily overburdened clinic to treat them.

Visitors are warned that they may be disturbed by what they see, but a ward of orphans with cerebral palsy - looked after by a bright-eyed 20-year old volunteer from Michigan - seem so happy that it is cheering rather than disheartening to see them. "I don't think I have ever had so much fun as I have in this room," she says, as the children clap their hands and beam at the press.

Bono comments that the hospice gives the patients a great deal of dignity, and Sister Benedicta - who is making a tremendous impression on him and Mr O'Neill - replies: "We don't have to tell you anything; just to show you the faces and hearts of these people." Later, he describes her as the "Mike Tyson of nuns".

ps: Bono and his tiles for people...Sister Benedicta="Mike Tyson of nuns".:D

Back
Top Bottom