avril

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:
i hope bill goldberg shows up and spears lars... even if it were brittney and christina doing a duet of enter sandman... lars will still be the fakest piece of crap on that stage

stupid little weasel

aww cool off..there's still kazaa and morpheus and all these other napster-like programs, which *gasp* has metallica's stuff for download.

Re: I'm gonna disagree with the majority here

erised said:
When I was in high school and bored in my classes, I used to scribble down lyrics and have melodies for them going through my head. I have a whole binder full of "songs" that will never see the light of day, simply because I don't play any instruments.

Anyway, whether or not I like their music, I've always admired young people in the music business, especially if they write their own material (and who cares if it's co-written? How many other adult artists have co-written songs with others at one point or another?)... Maybe it's because I have a binder full of songs collecting dust in my attic :shrug: but I've always enjoyed seeing new teens in the music business. I personally feel that a lot of them get a bad rap simply because of their age.

I think a lot of young people, period, don't get enough credit for what they're capable of...

I dunno, I give Avril credit for her musical efforts. Her album may not be what I'm "into" in terms of music, but I still think it's quite an accomplishment for a girl her age.

:up: I feel the same way.

Originally posted by Tabby
I was never much of a fan, but I tolerated them until Lars had a big part in the killing of Napster.

Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i hope bill goldberg shows up and spears lars... even if it were brittney and christina doing a duet of enter sandman... lars will still be the fakest piece of crap on that stage

stupid little weasel

:laugh:

:applaud:

He was a real buttwipe to set out to destroy Napster. I knew people who would purposely downloaded Metallica songs just to piss him off even if they hated them! I never thought Napster was a threat anyway. The stuff you like, you'd buy anyway because you want the real thing for your collection, liner notes, cover art, lyrics, etc. Most of the things people downloaded they never would have bought anyway, so it wasn't robbing anyone. I liked it when U2 stuck up for Napster and Dave Grohl said Lars needed to stop whining about the quarter he might lose if someone downloaded a song!

Have you forgotten how cool and extensive Napster was? The other services don't compare. They don't have nearly the millions of things Napster had, and sometimes you have to fool around and put stuff in backwards or misspelled to find it. That sucks and so does Lars! I can't abide him :tsk:

Last edited:
Re: Re: I'm gonna disagree with the majority here

U2Kitten said:

:up: I feel the same way.

:laugh:

:applaud:

He was a real buttwipe to set out to destroy Napster. I knew people who would purposely downloaded Metallica songs just to piss him off even if they hated them! I never thought Napster was a threat anyway. The stuff you like, you'd buy anyway because you want the real thing for your collection, liner notes, cover art, lyrics, etc. Most of the things people downloaded they never would have bought anyway, so it wasn't robbing anyone. I liked it when U2 stuck up for Napster and Dave Grohl said Lars needed to stop whining about the quarter he might lose if someone downloaded a song!

Have you forgotten how cool and extensive Napster was? The other services don't compare. They don't have nearly the millions of things Napster had, and sometimes you have to fool around and put stuff in backwards or misspelled to find it. That sucks and so does Lars! I can't abide him :tsk:

:yes: That whole thing really pissed me off!

stupid little weasel!!

headache, i want to frame that quote about lars fredrickson. that is the funniest thing i've ever heard! it's great! i can't stand him, he just looks really creepy, and comes off as an asshole in interviews and such

the whole concept of singing about a skater boy and rhyming it with "see ya later boy" and making a point to spell everyhting like "stk8er boi" is just dumb, as far as i'm concerned. it's too much of an image, the whole "i'm a punk rocker" thing...the definition of punk is pretty much non-existant at this point, and i don't mean to bring in any arguments about what selling out means. it's just the way it rhymes that sounds so cheesy to me. and i have a difficult time thinking that a slef respecting musician would take such effort to making herself look like a cosmetics ad all the time

What do you mean Avril sucks??

Oh, and I bet you all hate Celine too?

/sarcasm ;)

Sapphire said:

In Britain, it's Bowie (rhymes with Woweee!)

:eyebrow:

He himself is British and pronounces it with a long "o," and I've never heard a British person when speaking about him pronounce it another way.

madamc said:
What do you mean Avril sucks??

Oh, and I bet you all hate Celine too?

/sarcasm ;)

I like My Heart Will Go On...but that's just cuz of Titanic.

Celine annoys me. I have two of her earlier tapes though...I used to listen to her way back when...:reject:

:scream: i'm going to start knocking in heads if i have to hear 'my heart will go on' ever again!

IWasBored said:
stupid little weasel!!

headache, i want to frame that quote about lars fredrickson. that is the funniest thing i've ever heard! it's great! i can't stand him, he just looks really creepy, and comes off as an asshole in interviews and such

Ha ha ha! :laugh: He is a weasel! The only ones just as weasely as him are Eminem and Chris Martin :barf: I'd like to lock all three of them in a cage and have them spar until they shred each other! :lmao:

..what's this thread about again?

*note the sarcasm*

let's get back to the main topic, shall we?

she doesn't write her songs by herself, but has a writing team. everytime she is shown with a guitar- she strums the frets :eyebrow: *sigh* her next record is going to apparently "rock harder than the last" and hell, she says "like" more than me. .
*sigh* sorry for the stinginess, someone who was a "punk" (tie, bracelets, avril and other "punks" or people who dress like them written all over her things..funny...since a few weeks ago she was a light pink obsessed, rap loving (talkig like one, too)- belly shirt wearing girly girl (complete with large amounts of make up and huge hoop earrings) ) came up to me today, defending avril..and it sickens me what she was saying. gross. ah well. silly people, silly silly....okay. i'll stop talking now. :blahblah:

Last edited:
BrittanyNova said:

Ha ha ha! :laugh: He is a weasel! The only ones just as weasely as him are Eminem and Chris Martin :barf: I'd like to lock all three of them in a cage and have them spar until they shred each other! :lmao:

watch it...isn't chris martin the coldplay guy? eminem can go though :down: but coldplay = good

IWasBored said:

the whole concept of singing about a skater boy and rhyming it with "see ya later boy" and making a point to spell everyhting like "stk8er boi" is just dumb, as far as i'm concerned. it's too much of an image, the whole "i'm a punk rocker" thing...the definition of punk is pretty much non-existant at this point, and i don't mean to bring in any arguments about what selling out means. it's just the way it rhymes that sounds so cheesy to me. and i have a difficult time thinking that a slef respecting musician would take such effort to making herself look like a cosmetics ad all the time

we h8 sk8ing in herrre 'cos it's so dirrrty!

edit: oh, and btw, did you mean lars ulrich instead of lars fredriksen, because i don't recall rancid coming in this thread. :sexywink: lars ulrich sucks ass.

Last edited:
IWasBored said:
watch it...isn't chris martin the coldplay guy? eminem can go though :down: but coldplay = good

Oh, you LIKE him?! :reject: :confused: Me and the girls on my Oasis board make fun of him all the time. Liam hates him and so do we, but I hated him first. I think Chris Martin looks just like Eminem only balding, scruffier and scummier. He is such a total spaz, have you seen the creepy faces he makes when he sings? I hate his voice too. He sounds like a constipated old woman when he goes "yoooooou- are" He's ugly I think. Sorry if I offended your honey pie, just don't see anything to like there. :shrug: :drunk:

Last edited:
did someone say lars fredrikson?? more importantly, did i??

and i don't like chris martin necessarily, i don't know anything about the guy, really. i just like colplay's music. i like liam gallagher, i like oasis. and do i really need to say that it's really shallow of you to hate martin just cos gallagher does. figures that this is coming from someone defending avirl's punk cred...

Last edited:
FUCK. i meant ulrich.

lars fredickson is cool. rancid kicks ass. rancid could eat avirl and blink 182 for a snack.

i like rancid a lot, one of my favourite bands. i HATE lars ulrich.

My 2 cents:

Metallica will go down in history as one of the best and biggest bands of the '80's and early '90's. Their influence in metal is so obviously tremendous that it almost goes without mention. That aside, they havent put together a coherent or solid album in the last 10 years. They're losing fans by the second it seems like. They've become almost as corporate as most of the horrible "musical artists" that are performing at their tribute (the example of all examples: leading the fight against Napster). We'll see what happens with this new album. If it bombs, their time in the spot light will most likely be over. They will still be remembered as one of the most influential metal bands ever, regardless of how well their new material is or how well it sells.

Avril Lavine will be forgotten in a few years, just like every other worthless pile of pop drivel out there. I may actually like some of her songs, because they're your average run of the mill pop songs, but that's just it. They're completely average. They arent punk at all, they arent even rock.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
My 2 cents:

Metallica will go down in history as one of the best and biggest bands of the '80's and early '90's. Their influence in metal is so obviously tremendous that it almost goes without mention. That aside, they havent put together a coherent or solid album in the last 10 years. They're losing fans by the second it seems like. They've become almost as corporate as most of the horrible "musical artists" that are performing at their tribute (the example of all examples: leading the fight against Napster). We'll see what happens with this new album. If it bombs, their time in the spot light will most likely be over. They will still be remembered as one of the most influential metal bands ever, regardless of how well their new material is or how well it sells.

Avril Lavine will be forgotten in a few years, just like every other worthless pile of pop drivel out there. I may actually like some of her songs, because they're your average run of the mill pop songs, but that's just it. They're completely average. They arent punk at all, they arent even rock.

don't worry- after hearing a few snippets of songs from St.Anger- i think it'll be great ^_^ i can't wait!!

Jam Jar said:

don't worry- after hearing a few snippets of songs from St.Anger- i think it'll be great ^_^ i can't wait!!

Where'd you hear them? I want to hear!

u2popmofo said:

Where'd you hear them? I want to hear!

at the Jump In the studio site- go to metallica. com and click on the jump in the studio link and sign up- they have a good amount of videos there that in some parts, you can hear the music. you might want to go soon, since this part of the site will go down soon (maybe even tomorrow!) and, i think that in the upcoming weeks there should be songs being played on the radio (Singles and whatnot)

what's her face at the metallica tribute:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: She's a joke!!!!

and I do agree Lars is very Anal about everything, guess the money went to his pretty lil head.

*bumps into old thread*

I don't really care for either Avril or Metallica ........ and as far as writing her own songs well ...didn't Brittney and Christina say the same thing?

Don't mean to dig up an old topic, but I read this article in the New York Times earlier this week, and I just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

-------------------------------------------

Given Up, a Dream Returns to Life
May 8, 2003

By NEIL STRAUSS

LOS ANGELES, May 7 ? Lauren Christy clearly recalls the day she decided to give up her dream of being a pop star. The year was 1999, and she was flying back to Los Angeles from London, where she had met a talent scout who was interested in signing her. Afterward the scout called her manager, Sandy Roberton, and said he wasn't interested. "But," he asked Mr. Roberton, "can I have a song of hers to use for Natalie Imbruglia's next single?"

Peeved over the insult and disappointed by being dropped by Mercury Records after releasing two albums, Ms. Christy decided on that plane ride that she was tired of trying to make it as a singer.

Her husband, Graham Edwards, who was in a band called Dollshead, had reached a similar conclusion for himself. Dollshead, which also included a new keyboardist named Scott Spock, had just been dropped by Refuge/MCA Records. All three were in their 30's, and it was time to give up the fantasies of stardom that they had held onto for years. Mr. Roberton suggested instead that they team up and write songs for other artists.

"We thought we'd be behind the scenes for the rest of our lives," Ms. Christy said. Mr. Spock felt the same way. "We made the decision that we were over it," he said. "Then, as soon as we were over it ? boom ? everything started happening."

That boom was Avril Lavigne. Adapting the name the Matrix, the three wrote and produced 10 songs with Ms. Lavigne, a complete unknown who was about to be dropped from her label. Three of those songs became No. 1 radio hits. Since then the Matrix has become the hottest pop-rock production team of the moment, the go-to people for record executives who think that an artist's CD-in-progress needs a sure hit.

This month the Matrix is working with Britney Spears, Ricky Martin and David Bowie. This month three new records with its productions are coming out: by the college-rock singer-songwriter Liz Phair, the female pop-rock act Lillix, and the sister-led group the Troys.

But the real Hollywood twist is that four years after shelving their dreams of pop stardom, these three are about to get another chance. Though the Matrix exists only as a songwriting and production team, a major label, Sony, called its members recently and offered to sign them as a band. Mr. Roberton said they were negotiating a deal with Sony; they are already auditioning female singers to front the band, which they plan to take on tour.

"Our manager kept saying, `You're going to be huge,' " Ms. Christy said, referring to the first years of the Matrix. "But things wouldn't happen for us. There used to be times where the three of us were sleeping on the floor."

Ms. Christy was speaking in the control room of the group's home and studio in the San Fernando Valley, where the three were sprawled out in black swivel chairs

Because of Ms. Lavigne's success, the Matrix has been associated with female artists making radio-ready pop with a slightly alternative edge. But the team's breadth is larger. Mr. Edwards has roots in 1980's British new wave, having played bass with Go West, Haircut 100, and Adam and the Ants. Mr. Spock was originally a jazz trumpeter from St. Louis, and Ms. Christy started as a ballet dancer in London but became a contemporary pop singer-songwriter.

As the Matrix, the group received its first break from Christina Aguilera, who recorded their song "This Year" for her Christmas album. Shortly afterward, Arista Records sent the producers a 16-year-old who record executives wanted to mold into a country-pop star like Faith Hill. That 16-year-old was Ms. Lavigne.

Mr. Roberton, the Matrix's manager, told Arista that if the label sent Ms. Lavigne to Los Angeles the producers would not commit to anything, but they would try working with her. When she arrived, Ms. Lavigne balked at the pop songs the Matrix presented at their first meeting. "She wasn't happy," Mr. Roberton said. "She didn't want to be Faith Hill; she wanted to be a rock singer. So they sent her to her hotel, and overnight they wrote `Complicated.' " Ms. Lavigne's other future hits, "Sk8er Boi" and "I'm With You," soon followed as they worked together in the studio.

"Somebody in the industry sat us down and said, `I'd bet my house that this song is going to go to No. 1,' " Ms. Christy said of "Complicated." "We just couldn't believe it. But he was right. Then the next two singles went to No. 1 as well. And our lives changed."

Mr. Roberton, whose company World's End manages some 60 other producers, said: "I call them my little Tamla Motown. They can just sit down and write a pop hit."

The group starts working this week with the Vancouver hip-hop act Swollen Members; next week it begins work with Mr. Bowie. It is scheduled to record with the British girl group Sugababes; it has recently written and produced six songs in Miami with Mr. Martin and has completed one of several songs that it is working on with Ms. Spears. A single it recorded with the folk-pop singer Jason Mraz is climbing the charts.

"Britney was great," Ms. Christy recalled. "She said, `I really loved that `I'm With You' song you did with Avril.' She knows she's not going to do a song like that, but she wanted something really melodic."

Melody is the forte of the Matrix, which took its name not from the movie but from the dictionary definition of the matrix as a womb. Its songs are meticulously conceived and arranged. Instead of reserving its hooks and melodies for the chorus, the Matrix sticks them everywhere, so that nearly every sung and instrumental section of a song is catchy. In many of its songs the melodies increase in presence and intensity until the song reaches such a powerful crescendo that it just breaks open, and a short, ambient, more studio-effect-driven passage follows before the hooks start building again. At the same time, as is the trend in Top 40 radio right now, its songs tend to rest on a head-bobbing pop-funk groove that is topped, when possible, by a touch of crisp guitar.

Though the Matrix is being talked about in the music business as if it were the pop-rock equivalent of the hip-hop hit-making producers the Neptunes, there has also been a backlash, with some music fans vilifying the Matrix as perpetuators of overproduced generic pop. Ms. Lavigne has tried to distance herself from the Matrix, possibly in an attempt to deflect criticism that she is a studio creation unable to write her own hit songs. "You can find people praising us, or calling us soulless drones," Mr. Spock said, referring to a barb from an online music magazine. "But we laugh at that because we pride ourselves on capturing emotion and aggression."

One of the Matrix's more unlikely recent collaborators was Liz Phair, one of the most important female singer-songwriters to emerge from the indie-rock underground in the 90's. "I definitely have taken some arrows, but it's not any that stick," Ms. Phair said of her fans' reaction to the news that she was recording with the Matrix. "I'm very confident about the record and why I worked with them."

Ms. Phair recorded four songs with the Matrix and, like many of the artists who work with them, she decided to use all of those tracks on her album. Also like others, she was originally attracted to the Matrix because of their work with Ms. Lavigne. "I remember hearing `Complicated' and being almost jealous," Mr. Phair recalled. "I thought, `Aw, that's what I want to sound like.' "

Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company

####

Back
Top Bottom