An Open Letter To Principle Mgmt, (caution: long).

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Illumination70

The Fly
I'm not sure if I should post this letter in this area or at all because I'm REALLY ashamed of myself, but I don't know how to email Principle Mgmt & possibly too scared to contact the management firm.
I also feel since it happened almost 10 years ago it might be ok to open up & get this secret out of my system, so here it goes.

Dear staff at Principle Management,

Back in the mid 90's, I mailed countless resumes and greeting cards all under the advice from a now former adviser (who I blindly trusted) from my college who was probably was out to sabatage me along with other graduates he didn't want in the Entertainment Industry.
I know this sounds crazy, but I recenlty heard favortism & biased behavior happens all the time in colleges, universities and tech schools all the time.
As a result of this happening, I had no other choice, but to give up my dream of working in the entertainment industry.
I've also have accepted the so-called success stories I hear about from my former college are from allums who were probably the "Favorites".
In conclusion, I apologize for my HUGE mistake of bugging the Principle Management Staff & I'm DEEPLY ashamed at how naieve I was to trust someone I shouldn't have.

Sincerely,
Kristie Thill
(Illumination70)

I don't think you can e-mail them, but you can certainly snail mail to either of their locations. They definitely will not see it posted here. If you want someone to read it, I think you should go ahead and mail it. Don't be scared, they get tons of resumes, etc. from people all the time. Networking is just part of the biz.

The only problem with mailing them again is back in 1998, I received a letter from Principle management telling me to NEVER contact them anymore.
The funny thing is I remember the angry letter wasn't written by Sheila or Paul, but someone else (I can't remember her name). but I do remember it had brought me to tears because the last thing I want is the staff at Principle to think I'm some stalker type.

They get so many stalker-types I've heard they often come across as bitchy and rude in their responses. I've also heard that they never consider hiring fans. Harsh, but necessary in their business.

That's true, but I've heard groupie types often get hired over fans in the industry which makes my blood boil.
The sleeping around bit upsets me because why should I (or anyone else) compromise my standards & resort to sleaze.
I know that sounds a bit off topic, but I've heard of some desperate girls who slept around to get a job.
In fact, I even remember a former teacher shortley after I graduated from my college recommending me to do the slut thing because in his words "the industry wouldn't need your kind" & pointed at me while he said this.

Illumination70 said:
That's true, but I've heard groupie types often get hired over fans in the industry which makes my blood boil.
The sleeping around bit upsets me because why should I (or anyone else) compromise my standards & resort to sleaze.
I know that sounds a bit off topic, but I've heard of some desperate girls who slept around to get a job.
In fact, I even remember a former teacher shortley after I graduated from my college recommending me to do the slut thing because in his words "the industry wouldn't need your kind" & pointed at me while he said this.

I don't doubt it happens (or is attempted), but I don't think many groupies get into the management biz because they're groupies, and end up succeeding. I don't think the band has much to do with their management anyway. Principle Management is it's own identity and has other artists besides U2, so even if some chick tried to sleep with Bono, it's not really his decision to make. If you wanna break in, you've gotta network with the right people. Being pushy is fine, even if it pisses people off. They all had to be the same way to get where they are now. I think you have to go farther than just sending letters and resumes to management in general. Find someone who knows someone who knows someone that can meet with you. You have to get a foot in the door and sadly it doesn't usually happen based on qualifications listed on resumes and cover letters. PM is especially difficult because a LOT of those employees have been together for a long time and they're not exactly interested in fresh new ideas.

Don't let it destroy you. You gave it a shot and it didn't work. There's plenty of other management agencies out there...

Illumination70 said:
The only problem with mailing them again is back in 1998, I received a letter from Principle management telling me to NEVER contact them anymore.

um... maybe you shouldn't contact them again then....

i understand you want to apologise but if they've asked you specifically not to contact them then maybe the best way to show you're sorry is to do what they ask.

if you don't mind me asking (cause i'm curious), what exactly were you writing to them and how many letters did you send for them to react like that?

"...was probably was out to sabatage me along with other graduates he didn't want in the Entertainment Industry."

You give this guy too much power. He's an advisor at some college somewhere. He has no say in who gets into the music business and who doesn't.

I am sorry but something smells rotten with this whole sordid tale.

Perhaps Principle Management is tired of being contacted by people who haven't an ounce of experience in the industry calling/writing them up looking for a job just because of who they represent. Lower your expectations- start at the bottom like everyone else does instead of trying to start at the top and you could easily have a job in the industry doing something.

If all you want to do is be a personal assistant to one of the guys in the band or hang with the band well get in line 'cause that's what we'd all like to do. However I would never send a letter to their management company asking for ANYTHING. Not even a ticket let alone a job.

Just my two cents.

digsy said:

um... maybe you shouldn't contact them again then....

if you don't mind me asking (cause i'm curious), what exactly were you writing to them and how many letters did you send for them to react like that?

I'd say hell yeah to that first statement.

And she said "Countless" resumes and greeting cards. That's a scary prospect of how many there could actually have been. Obviously it was enough that they realized how many were coming from one person and it really bugged the hell out of all of them. I think she does owe an apology but she can't give one because that would require her to contact them again- which is what I think she really wants to do anyway. This thread was an awkward way of doing just that.

Sorry but this whole thing is just not cool to me at all.

As for the resumes I sent, I would send out one about 3-4 times a year (for 3 years) in order to keep them updated on what I was doing in the music industry.
Everytime I scored a job doing office work, video post-production or customer service in the industry, I was strongly advised by my career advisor to send them a resume ( which turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE).
As for lowering my expectations, I'm still trying the local places around town, but in Eastern, WA. one has to "click" with the in-crowd clique or a gal has to be very pretty (unfortunately, I'm not).
BTW, the other reason why I decide to post it here because it would've been a way to get it out in the open, learn and heal from it so I can move one.
My only hope is you all don't hate me for opening up.

Last edited:
I would maybe send one once a year instead of 3-4 times. Most places will hold onto resumes for a year, so getting 4 of them won't help b/c they'll see you're already on file and keep tossing the new ones. It is a good idea to keep sending them, 80% of all jobs are not advertised, but maybe do it a little less.

Back
Top Bottom