Ali 4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
e8a0e956.jpg

kellyahern said:

Hi!

I apologise for the delay in translating this article but things have been pretty hectic around here. And I apologise if this translation is not too goo, but I've drinking for the past our so that might have something to do with it! :wink:

"As I get older, I hope to still be like that man I see every morning walking past my house in Dublin to have a swim in the Irish Sea. In fact, the other day, in the middle of November, I swam in the sea for the first time." This confession comes from Ali Hewson while she is getting her make up on and it says a lot about this lady, about her vitality and her goals in life. Vigorous but quiet, she is an open woman who has never sought fame. Fame has been something that, so far, she has left for her husband, Paul, who we all know as Bono from U2.

Nevertheless, now she poses for pictures, gives interviews and travels the world doing campaign; campaign for her company, Edun (note: they posted Eden in the original article) and for the people of countries such as Peru, Tunicia or Lesotho. Still, she keeps a low profile and her feet on the ground. She chats with us about her kids' education, of how important it is to teach them how lucky they are, how to say "no" and teach them social values like the ones her parents have taught her. She is also intereste about life in Spain and she is a little taken aback about the rise in house prices and salaries. She even asks the members of the team if they are married and, when they confess that they are not because things are pretty difficult in Madrid at the moment, she asks about relationships in our city and proposes, among laughter from our team, to go to Ireland and try their luck.

Dynamic, simple and optimistic, Ali wants to set precedent with her company, but she doesn't let that goal get in the way of her other goals. Above all, to be a good mother. Her four kids experiences are as important, or even more, as her job and she tries to stay close to them through her mobile, a very discreet and ultra thin black Motorola.

She admits that she barely uses all its "extras", she just wants to use it to talk to her children, wherever she is in the world. Ali is a woman of simple tastes. Her favourite drink? Tea with a drop of milk to fight the cold that she didn't expect in our southern city.

Despite all the things she does, Mrs Bono takes time for herself and the ones around her in order to do things calmly, in a relaxed atmosphere. She doesn't seem anxious at all and never checks her watch. What she has to say, she expresses it with simple words and without giving it more importance than it has. She looks comfortable with herself and her life. And that's what makes her such an attractive woman and a role model for the modern woman: hard working, committed, wife and mother. She shows that it is possible to put all these aspects of life together without going crazy.

Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to ask her what's her secret to achieve that.

kellyahern said:

I'm not sure, I think the photo is from Pavarotti's wedding a couple of years ago.

Thanks for the translation Flavia :bow: :up:.

:hmm: yea edge wore the same shirt and NOT his beanie there..

thanks for the translation aswell Flavia :bow: they really make Ali sound as the great person I think she is!

:huh: I'm getting so many "Happy Birthday" e-mails! For goodness sakes people, IM NOT ALI!!!!! :banghead:

Is this not crystal clear?

Please contact me using the address below if you have any comments, questions, or concerns about this site or Ali Hewson. I welcome any additional content such as articles, quotes, soundbytes, images, or anything else you'd like to see here. I'll always do my best to respond within 24 hours of receiving your message. Please remember, this is an unofficial site; I am not in any way acquainted with Ali Hewson nor do I have any of her contact information or the contact information of any public relations representative.

Oh well, I suppose it's the thought that counts!

I hate responding to these messages b/c if I do, then I sound like a bitch but if I don't, then they never get a response and think Ali is a bitch.

Last edited:
LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
:huh: I'm getting so many "Happy Birthday" e-mails! For goodness sakes people, IM NOT ALI!!!!! :banghead:

Is this not crystal clear?

Oh well, I suppose it's the thought that counts!

I hate responding to these messages b/c if I do, then I sound like a bitch but if I don't, then they never get a response and think Ali is a bitch.

I'd just send back what you quoted here, with the last part in bold and a link to that page.

what a nice story.
thanks for the translation flavia !!

Hey Lies, I really appreciate you doing The Ali Hewson website.
I just had to post it here, I just love the site. Thank you very much.

hcbiggs2002 said:
I was looking at that, but coz I don't read/buy fashion magazines, unless they happen to have Bono/U2 articles in them, I wasn't sure that was the actual name of the magazine.
Thanks GG!:wave:

I don't read those either.. but I do have a very very girly sister, she even reads the FRENCH Elle!!! :coocoo:

I was sort of surprised to read the following story about Ali, and it came directly from Bono.

In an interview i was listening to (on a CD of U2 INTERVIEWS I recently purchased at Best Buy), Bono tells the story of how he made the song the "sweetest thing". He tells how he let Ali know that he wouldn't be able to make it to be with her on her birthday but he would bring her the song, and some other things he had gotten her. Then he says about the song: "I wanted it to be this sweet song, but it kinda went a bit wrong! hehe......... and she never listened to it again."

I was just a little surprised that she never listened to the song again. It isn't exactly as Bono had wanted it to be, this sweet love song, obviously!, (as anyone can tell from reading the lyrics), but maybe for her the lyrics were too honest? I'm not sure as a wife, I would have been too flattered by the song either. And she's such a doll.

SWEETEST THING:

My love, she throws me like a rubber ball
(Oh, the sweetest thing.)
But she won't catch me or break my fall.
Baby's got blue skies up ahead
But in this, I'm a raincloud
You know she wants a dry kind of love.

I'm losin' you, I'm losin' you
Ain't love the sweetest thing?

I wanted to run, but she made me crawl
Eternal fire, she turned me to straw.
I know I got black eyes
But they burn so brightly for her
I guess it's a blind kind of love.

I'm losin' you, I'm losin' you

Blue-eyed boy meets a brown-eyed girl.
You can sew it up, but you still see the tear.
Baby's got blue skies up ahead
But in this, I'm a rain-cloud,
Ours is a stormy kind of love.

Bono goes on to tell how just recently, when they were doing a remix of the song, Ali approached him about it and asked if the song was "hers" since he had given it to her. To this Bono agreed, and then she told him she wanted to make sure she would get the revenues ,"the cash" as Bono says, for anything made from the re-release of the song. This she would use for her Chernobyl cause. Bono goes on to say "Oh no!! we've been robbed!!!..........but rightfully so." and then he chuckles.

the sweetest thing remix was done around october 1998, so i'm guessing this interview was given around 1999, since they are also talking about starting to record their next album within the year which ended up being "all that you can't leave behind".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom