2001: The U2 Year in pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
At the Atlanta show, Bono told us that 2001 had been 'the best year this band has ever had.' It has been a banner year for our boys, so let's reflect on the glorious events of the last year and tell our favorite stories and post our favorite pics to carry the good feeling over into the New Year in hopes of more!

1c10865.jpg

4G41473.jpg

cs18453.jpg

cw72725.jpg

Ts41010.jpg

ih66566.jpg

l032403.jpg

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

Bono's birthday in Indianapolis, May 10

rs43728.jpg

Famous Zurich bullfight scene which became the cover of the DVD

zD33504.jpg

Bono topless in Copenhagen!

sd10345.jpg

Luckiest girl in Vienna

AV12940.jpg

Luckiest girl of all- Melissa in Montreal!

md39556.jpg

Larry's birthday in Providence Oct. 31

Nk88165.jpg

Emotional One in MSG

cX10611.jpg

SIGH! I could just sit here and document this wonderful year all day long, but I have to go. Please girls, keep this thread going as a tribute to a special year for a special band and the greatest fans in the world- US!

------------------
"Walk On, stay safe tonight"

THESE ARE AMAZING

what a fantastic thread.....

geez....i wish i had something to contribute...

but all i can give is praise and love!

I'm with Elizabeth on this one!
biggrin.gif
Nothing really to contribute, but this year has been amazing. All the magazine covers, the articles, the awards, the prasie! All for the best band in the world! Amen! Happy New Year everyone!

------------------
The Proud Owner of the ONLY Cardboard Larry!!!

September, streets capsizing, spilling over down the drain...shards of glass splinters like rain...but you could only feel your own pain... October, talking getting nowhere...November, December, remember. This will never happen again.

I bang things for a living! ~Larry

This was my first year with U2.

armsraised.jpg

intotheheart.jpg

U2grammy.jpg

dvdbook_5edit.jpg

u2photosflags.jpg

------------------
Laura
~~~
Something to do with politics, kids, freshness, and breakthrough.
And love.

(Joan Baez)

~~~
"The idea is to eroticize the male body instead of the female." - Bono

"Well, again, within that spirit of not-seriousness... To all intents and purposes, the mystery and power of the penis is, what will it become?" - Adam

"Penises, I'm inclined to believe... are good things." - Adam

[This message has been edited by On The Edge (edited 12-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by On The Edge (edited 12-30-2001).]

Thanks U2Kitten and On the Edge. These are great pictures. It has definatly been a great year for the band. Here's hoping that 2002 is just as good.

Oh, it certainly has been a great year for the band...and a great year to be a U2 fan. Here's to more excitement and mind-blowing U2 in the next year!

u2.jpg

-sula

It has been a dream year for U2! I don't know where to begin! It was a great tour, but I love my own shows best, especially DC where I got to grab Bono's leg
wink.gif

332%3C988%3B23232%7Ffp3%3Enu%3D3234%3E9%3A3%3E4%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3232364399%3B%3B9nu0mrj

332%3C992723232%7Ffp34%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E232327348%3A%3A%3C%3Bot1lsi

It was an adventure going to the shows and standing/sitting/laying in the GA lines! I got to meet Tony the good looking Bono clone twice! Here he is with his buddy in Baltimore!

332%3C992723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E9%3A3%3E4%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3232374%3B3869%3Bnu0mrj

I was next to the guy whose flag he took in Atlanta

332%3C992723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3234%3E9%3A3%3E4%3A8%3EWSNRCG%3D3232374%3B38697nu0mrj

After 7 shows, I am filled with waves of regret, waves of joy. That is how I describe my personal experiences.

But for U2 it was only exaltation and procession into history and immortality.

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 12-30-2001).]

2001 was also the year that Bono said hello to a new baby boy
smile.gif

332%3C992723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E232326692%3B%3B62ot1lsi

and good-bye to his Dad
frown.gif

332%3C992723232%7Ffp33%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E2323267477946ot1lsi

U2 also remembered Joey Ramone, Michael Hutchence, George Harrison, and others. Bono continued his crusade to help impoverished nations through dropping the debt, and he participated in the What's Goin' On video for charity. The tour was touched by something extraordinary, charged with power, and God was in the house. We were blessed to be a part of it. Carry on, guys. You rule.

332%3C992723232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D%3A94%3D599%3DXROQDF%3E23232678%3A%3B%3B99ot1lsi

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

[This message has been edited by GypsyHeartgirl (edited 12-30-2001).]

biggrin.gif
This is a cool thread. Sorry to pollute it with myself
biggrin.gif

P.S. Don't forget the cover of SPIN, if anyone has it

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

"Bono was embraced as rock's latest mystic leader, a sort of holy cross between the Morrisons, Jim and Van"

"I used to gaze out my classroom window and dream And then go home and listen to Ray sing "I believe to my soul" after school" ~Van Morrison~

[This message has been edited by WildHonee (edited 12-30-2001).]

My personal contribution.

This year was incredible for me, getting to see them 3 times since 15 years ago.

ff90238.jpg

ff89515.jpg

f618456.jpg

fj21685.jpg

n162679.jpg

nf81511.jpg

nj44870.jpg

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

[This message has been edited by SicilianGoddess (edited 12-30-2001).]

*what a great year we had!!!*
biggrin.gif

332%3C9%3A3523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3235%3E54%3A%3E84%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323237765693%3Cnu0mrj

------------------
she is the dreamer....she's imagination

*+*MaRiA*+*
a little girl with Spanish eyes...

great thread.

this is my first year as a U2 fan, and i'm hoping for many more!!!

happy new years, my PLEBA girls!

smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Does love light up your Christmas tree?

Happy Holidays!

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

...if God will send his angels...

this was the greatest year for me too because i had the 6 best nights of my life. 3 of these in the heart, 2 shows were also amazing road trips through the desert. holding bonos thumb, meeting edge, getting a pick from adam, and the moment wen larry smiled and waved at ME were so great. u2 brought me happiness and joy, and i think we did the same for them. heres a few pics i took...
adamclayton.jpg

bonored.jpg

meetedge.jpg

edgeblur.jpg

uh, come to think of it...this next one might belong in the elevated thread...
bonoone.jpg

thanks for a great year!

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

Wow...sorry I don't have any pics you all haven't already seen...but I have memories...and what memories they are...

I've been a fan since last Oct, but only a Fanatic since, well, about a month ago...I finally got to see U2 live in Miami 12-02-01 and it changed my life. To see that kind of love, power, energy, everything in one room was incredible.

Sometimes it's hard for me to tell people how much I really lo

So many "best moments" from 2001 to remember... actually they all kind of escalated since January...

January 2001: Had to get tickets for the rumoured heart area. Got up around 5 am to get to school early to buy the tickets (I thought that with a T1 line the school fournishes, I'd have a better chance). Around 10h20... I got my tickets in disbelief that they were GA tickets.

February 2001: U2 announced that they would add a second show in Montreal... more ticket stress once again. Went on U2.com pre-sale once again, but failed. Had to go see scalper, but got tickets... still very happy... another high.

May 27th 2001: The hype of seeing a U2 show with floor tickets. I didn't know how near we were actually gonna be (especially with all the crap that was happening in the GA line!). But when I got in the heart... I almost cried! We were soooo close! I just couldn't believe it!!! I still remember when Bono ripped his shirt in two then ran around the heart, I got a drip of Bono sweat in my glasses from his chest!!!

K911338.jpg

May 28th 2001: I was praying the GA line would be better organized than the previous day. I woke up to the cold and saw a security guard... I was so glad to see him! My first highlight of this day was seeing a terrified The Edge up close for a couple of seconds...

TheEdge.jpg

Called my father for no particular reason and told him I just saw The Edge up close and I couldn't believe it!!! He was just laughing...

Then later that night... well... must I tell you what happened?

Combine this with my signature and you understand why my friends and I are still knocked by such an intense experience.

__hr_Falling.jpg

After stunning many people with that experience... (that's how I got to know PLEBA, one of my internet buddies said:"You should go to this place... they are talking about you... then I saw a message board with 72 replies talking about my "roll") I got interview on radio and TV... very odd, but very cool
smile.gif

And of course the October Montreal show was great... Eventhough, I just get as much attention from Bono
wink.gif

bonooctober.jpg

This is us after Halloween... (the gold in my hair was from being disguised as a angel... I do have a devil in my head of course). Still 3 disturbed human beings who just can't get over what happened on that night.

us3.jpg

------------------
"Forgive me Father!"- Bono on May 28th after rolling around with me :)

So many "best moments" from 2001 to remember... actually they all kind of escalated since January...

January 2001: Had to get tickets for the rumoured heart area. Got up around 5 am to get to school early to buy the tickets (I thought that with a T1 line the school fournishes, I'd have a better chance). Around 10h20... I got my tickets in disbelief that they were GA tickets.

February 2001: U2 announced that they would add a second show in Montreal... more ticket stress once again. Went on U2.com pre-sale once again, but failed. Had to go see scalper, but got tickets... still very happy... another high.

May 27th 2001: The hype of seeing a U2 show with floor tickets. I didn't know how near we were actually gonna be (especially with all the crap that was happening in the GA line!). But when I got in the heart... I almost cried! We were soooo close! I just couldn't believe it!!! I still remember when Bono ripped his shirt in two then ran around the heart, I got a drip of Bono sweat in my glasses from his chest!!!

K911338.jpg

May 28th 2001: I was praying the GA line would be better organized than the previous day. I woke up to the cold and saw a security guard... I was so glad to see him! My first highlight of this day was seeing a terrified The Edge up close for a couple of seconds...

TheEdge.jpg

Called my father for no particular reason and told him I just saw The Edge up close and I couldn't believe it!!! He was just laughing...

Then later that night... well... must I tell you what happened?

Combine this with my signature and you understand why my friends and I are still knocked by such an intense experience.

__hr_Falling.jpg

After stunning many people with that experience... (that's how I got to know PLEBA, one of my internet buddies said:"You should go to this place... they are talking about you... then I saw a message board with 72 replies talking about my "roll") I got interview on radio and TV... very odd, but very cool
smile.gif

And of course the October Montreal show was great... Eventhough, I just get as much attention from Bono
wink.gif

This is us after Halloween... (the gold in my hair was from being disguised as a angel... I do have a devil in my head of course). Still 3 disturbed human beings who just can't get over what happened on that night.

us3.jpg

------------------
"Forgive me Father!"- Bono on May 28th after rolling around with me :)

HEY, why are a bunch of the replies missing??? there used to be 2 pages,a nd now there's only 1. and my response is no longer there!

can one of the mods check this out, please?

OMY! This thread is wonderful! I got all emotional going through it- what a year for our boys!

I went to 2 shows, both in Atlanta. I didn't even think I would get to go to the 2nd show, but I refused to take "not possible" for an answer...and I'm so glad! This makes 20 years that I've been a U2 fan and I've seen them 7 times- each better than the last (even when I didn't think it was possible that it could get any better). I know they'll always be my favorite band, the soundtrack to my life....THEY & YOU GUYS ROCK THE PLEBA!!!!

*Scary*

What happened with the thread?? It says the right amount of replys but it only shows less then half of them. My reply has dissappeard too!!!
frown.gif

I love this thread, please be ok again!!

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

I know I find it strange when some threads' pages disappear and others don't

Why is it the the "E-I won't say it" threads stay hunky doory after 100's of posts but some who have only 2 or 3 pages suddenly disappear.

Could give someone a complex
wink.gif

U2K - can you believe this happened again to a thread of yours. hmmmm I don't get it?

Wow, I had actually saved all I wrote so I just had to cut in the photos again. So here is the first part of my year, the next is on it's way.

*******************************************'I!'ve kept this thread in my mind for a while now. Didn't really know what to write. This year has just been so incredible. I've gone through the worst moments in my life and also the best and this year has really changed me, a lot, made me think. I'm really happy for that even though it had to come through some hard experiences. This might be kind of long but I would like to sum it up, mainly in a U2 way.

Late february we got the dates for the european tour. The next week I lined up for tickets in minusdegrees for hours, but I got what I wanted, floortickets. The next week they released tickets for the second show, the same again, wait outside in the cold.

Late april I decide to take my week off in May to go to Canada where u2 are playing in Toronto and Montreal. In Toronto I meet Hayley (ZooGrl) by accident. She had mailed me when I asked for help a few weeks earlier. Then we lost each other but somehow we ended up behind each other in line and we really got close.
M
ay 24th, first U2 show since november 1997. I was just amazed to be there. I don't remember much from that concert but being so close.

May 25th, second show in Toronto and what I remember from that show is that I was closer to be brought up onstage then I'll ever be again. It still makes me mad to think about what happened.

May 27th, first show in Montreal. The line up mess and I payed more for a ticket then I ever thought I would do. Got behind the stage before the show and saw what it looks like. I got to hear "stars" in WOWY for the first time live. Got my first pic.

May 28th, second show Montreal, first time front row, right in front of Bono. We all had hearts all over us and heartstickers in our faces. I'm the only one with it in the forehead and during MW Bono points at me to give him my sticker and I do and he puts it in his forehead. (Still looking for pictures of him with the heart in his forehead). Amazing moment.

June, Hayley decides to come and visit me for the nordic shows in Copenhagen and Stockholm. Another guy I met in Montreal also decides to come here. I finally get to know that I got tickets for Slane!

July 6th, first show Copenhagen. It was HOT!!! First row. Bono takes of his shirt in front of my eyes and I got my famous shirtless pics of him.
biggrin.gif

25369152taymooZdNa_ph.jpg

A guy gets to play harmonica in SBS.
After the show me, Hay and another friend, Johanna, are taken for prostitutes at the public shower at the trainstation in Copenhagen. LOL at that memory.

July 7th, second show Copenhagen. Even HOTTER!! Adam takes his shirt off and I get shirless pics of him.
biggrin.gif

25369840KAgCdNoMPM_ph.jpg

Hay gets to sing.

July 8th, after the show. I meet Larry for the first time and it was a magic moment. You could almost touch the air and he was just so nice. Signing my personal tour t-shirt.
Day, after a long trip to Stockholm with amazing memories of naked guys along the road, stopped by the police that didn't belive that we were sober after a U2 concert. A swim in a lake at 8am.
Afternoon, we meet Dallas who takes the time to stop by and talk for a while. He calls us the hardcore fans.
biggrin.gif
Very nice and humble person.
I meet Suzie, Catdubh, for the first time.

July 9th, first show Stockholm, first row. Amazing to finally see them at home after being in line with the best of people. It was pure joy, friendship and calmness in that line. Bono talks swedish.
arena3.jpg

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

July 10th, second show Stockholm, first row after another great day in line.
sleep.jpg

I get to hear Ground beneath... for the first time, I cry.
smile.gif
Bono asks me to sing for him in WOWY. Two classic quotes for the swedish fans are stated. "We've been here five times, in the Globe, how many times have Madonna been here? You see, she only likes you, we, we love you!" and "Thank you Stockholm, beautiful, beautiful, beautiful city!"
ticket2.jpg

August 16th, I head off for London.
August 18th, first show in London. I meet Johanna again. Just amazing to be there again. After the show I meet Bono and get my PLEBA tag signed. 
25405950QQiuHyosnG_ph.jpg

August 19th, second show in London. Bono unzips his pants in MW. I?m standing next to a young guy who?s attending his first concert, it gave me some perpective.
Qn37267.jpg

August 21st, third show in London. Bono?s dad died. Strange day. I get wrestled by a security, the worst memory in my life. But I guess that also helped this show to be one of the most emotional for me. The whole show was emotional, strange. I hear 11 O?clock?. For the first time.

August 22nd, fourth show in London. Edge takes my hand first and last when they say bye. Get a Bono souvinirpic. After the show I meet Larry and get my tourdiary signed. Amazing moment he stays with us for at least 20 min.
25406908mQnlGpRwQD_ph.jpg

[This message has been edited by MissZooropa (edited 01-03-2002).]

August 23rd, I miss my flight to Dublin. And is for the first time in my life scared for my life when I finally make it into the airplane 12 hours late. I finally reach Ireland and Dublin, a dream.
August 24th, Does a U2 tour.
25459291TXagbskOyG_ph.jpg

head for Slane, sleep outside and it?s freezing and stony.

August 25th, the show at Slane.
25459766ulawbRXHDK_ph.jpg

THE night of my life. A sort of homecoming, magical. Spirituell, overwhelming experience, hard to describe. I?m blessed to have been there.
25460377JeEODVNlPP_ph.jpg

October, I get daily reports from the NA leg adn I want to be there.

November, U2 is coming back to sweden is on the news.

December, More news about them coming back.

Oki, I think that was it. Hope it won't disappear again.
smile.gif

------------------

[This message has been edited by MissZooropa (edited 01-03-2002).]

my post got deleted, too.
frown.gif
well, i'll just have to put my pictures back up again! if you couldn't tell, i'm a *huge* adam fan.
biggrin.gif

here's a cute picture from the NJ 6/22/01 show:
En26015.jpg

this is one of my favorite pics: it's adam and randy johnson (of the arizona diamondbacks) onstage at the Phoenix concert, Nov. 2001:
Ez44578.jpg

here's adam taking the gift my friend and i gave him in miami, 12/2/01:
CQ44315.jpg

and last but not least, here's a photo of (from left) me, khelia, and ruth at the final show in miami... this is most special because it represents all the wonderful people i've met during the past year.
smile.gif

Df94516.jpg

Back
Top Bottom