Willie's Diary quote re Croke Park shows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morgoth321

Acrobat
Don't worry, this isn't another one of those 'Release a Croke Park DVD now' threads - sadly, this isn't likely to happen, is it?

I was at Dublin 1 (24/6/05), and a guy I work with was at Dublin 2, the following night. I'm lucky enough to have the wonderfully compiled 24/6/05 DVD from the U2 Videodrug project, and they're now working on a Dublin 3 DVD (for the 27/6/05 show). However, there doesn't seem to anything similar in the offing for Dublin 2. But could anyone find me the quote from "Willie's Diary" that mentioned Croke Park shows being filmed purely for archival purposes? I've seen it before many times in this forum, but can't seem to locate the particular threads.

Many thanks in advance.

Morgoth321 said:
Don't worry, this isn't another one of those 'Release a Croke Park DVD now' threads - sadly, this isn't likely to happen, is it?

I was at Dublin 1 (24/6/05), and a guy I work with was at Dublin 2, the following night. I'm lucky enough to have the wonderfully compiled 24/6/05 DVD from the U2 Videodrug project, and they're now working on a Dublin 3 DVD (for the 27/6/05 show). However, there doesn't seem to anything similar in the offing for Dublin 2. But could anyone find me the quote from "Willie's Diary" that mentioned Croke Park shows being filmed purely for archival purposes? I've seen it before many times in this forum, but can't seem to locate the particular threads.

Many thanks in advance.

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but there is speculation that Dublin 2 was filmed for a DVD release...

The show was just being filmed for archival purposes – there’s no particular end in mind for the footage, but given that this was U2 at home it seemed rude not to record the proceedings in some way.
-- Willie, 25.06.2005

Re: Re: Willie's Diary quote re Croke Park shows

theu2fly said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse, but there is speculation that Dublin 2 was filmed for a DVD release...

By who? You? Fans here? I could speculate that my first Joshua Tree show in 1987 will be a DVD release. Does that make it likely?

See tommycharles post right after yours. Should answer your speculation response pretty definitively.

Tommycharles, thanks for the quote. In terms of the Croke Park shows, I'd say that at least two of them were filmed, but that they were never intended for public release, and never will be. These shows seem very well served with bootlegs, so it's not like there's no record of them at all.

Re: Re: Re: Willie's Diary quote re Croke Park shows

Blue Room said:

By who? You? Fans here? I could speculate that my first Joshua Tree show in 1987 will be a DVD release. Does that make it likely?

See tommycharles post right after yours. Should answer your speculation response pretty definitively.

Wasn't that "U2 Go Home" DVD also filmed only for archival purposes?

Lighten up on your posts man, it's like something's being taken away from you the way you respond with such anger. :rolleyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Willie's Diary quote re Croke Park shows

BrownEyedBoy said:

Wasn't that "U2 Go Home" DVD also filmed only for archival purposes?

Lighten up on your posts man, it's like something's being taken away from you the way you respond with such anger. :rolleyes:

Nope, it was filmed to be broadcast on television originally with a possible DVD release. Once they saw how it turned out they decided to release it on DVD. Almost all of the Slane shows are shot to be broadcast on the RTE regardless of who is playing it.

:rolleyes:

:laugh: TheU2fly literally beats a dead horse with this, thats why it gets irritating. All I asked was where the "speculation" came from. Sorry, use the ignore function on my posts if it bothers you so much. Thanks! :wave:

Last edited:
"The show was just being filmed for archival purposes – there’s no particular end in mind for the footage, but given that this was U2 at home it seemed rude not to record the proceedings in some way."

I can understand if they decide not to release everything but would it hurt if someone shared "by accident" a couple of videos at least every 5 years?

It's always a possibility, but perhaps not a big possibility that it would ever get released.

I can say for one reason, it wouldn't get released due to the poor lighting, (it was almost dusk before they performed LAPOE) and it seems the Milan show was right on target.

Back
Top Bottom