Who is responsible for this outrage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
As some of you know, I was never able to secure tickets for this tour :( I have held out hope that as tour dates approached (looking for east coast dates next month) I might find something online for a reasonable price. Last time on the Elevation tour I got GA's for $130. Other sites had tickets much higher, and I feared ticketsplus would eventually catch on and gouge too. Well I just checked, and tickets for the GA show are outrageous! :mad: :rant: :yell: GAs run from $440-550, and some tickets for seats are well over A THOUSAND BUCKS!! I am appalled at this! I know the band isn't getting this money. HOW are these online SCALPERS allowed to do this legally, and most of all WHO IS GETTING THE MONEY? I know last tour there were rumors about ticketbastard or their sales outlets being in on the scam. Does anyone know what's going on? This should be against the law. And nobody suffers more than ordinary fans like me who can't pay those prices. Yes, I did try when they first came out, but was shut out, most likely by the fuckers who are selling them at inflated prices now. Anyone got any info on this?

You could have bought Portland or Oakland GAs for $150 last month.

Now they're going for $300-$400.

GAs for the Fall Boston shows were going for $150 on eBay when they first went on sale a few months ago. Now, fergeddaboutit.

GAs at the Glendale shows last spring were going for face price.

Chicago GAs for 9/20 were available at Ticketmaster on the day of the show.

GAs are not too hard to get at reasonable prices, but you do need to hustle a bit and maybe wait in line at the box office on the day of the show and hope the ticket drop includes some GAs.

I really hate to be blunt and all, but theres not really a way to sugar coat this :(.

If you are going to complain about ticket prices & scalpers, complain to U2, and tell them to raise the GA ticket prices, thats the only reason why U2 concerts have so many scalpers selling the tickets, because the price point they currently have is way too low.

What market are you looking in? Im seeing outrageous prices in places like NY and Boston. Smaller cities like Pittsburgh, Cleveland (my closest town) are not so bad. I paid $200 for GA in Pittsburgh on Ebay a couple months ago but I panicked, wanted to have it in hand. I can recommend first-hand sites like buysell.com, I got a ticket for Chicago 1 in may, the monday before the sat. concert, UNDER ticket price. It really just depends. I know what you mean though.

Its no wonder regular folk like us get shut out of ticket sales - all the brokers, people in NY (excuse me if thats you) on line when tickets for Cleveland go on sale and snatching them all up. Those of us who want to go must pay the price - its a decision you have to make, unfortunately. But I feel your pain. (I also pd $200 for my seat behind the stage in Cleve in Dec from a broker)

Just today was snooping around Ebay, saw a couple tickets for tonight's Chicago show at a bargain price.

U2Kitten said:
As some of you know, I was never able to secure tickets for this tour :( I have held out hope that as tour dates approached (looking for east coast dates next month) I might find something online for a reasonable price. Last time on the Elevation tour I got GA's for $130. Other sites had tickets much higher, and I feared ticketsplus would eventually catch on and gouge too. Well I just checked, and tickets for the GA show are outrageous! :mad: :rant: :yell: GAs run from $440-550, and some tickets for seats are well over A THOUSAND BUCKS!! I am appalled at this! I know the band isn't getting this money. HOW are these online SCALPERS allowed to do this legally, and most of all WHO IS GETTING THE MONEY? I know last tour there were rumors about ticketbastard or their sales outlets being in on the scam. Does anyone know what's going on? This should be against the law. And nobody suffers more than ordinary fans like me who can't pay those prices. Yes, I did try when they first came out, but was shut out, most likely by the fuckers who are selling them at inflated prices now. Anyone got any info on this?

I think you need to wait them out. That's what I did.
I checked prices a few days before the show and they were outrageously high. On the day of the concert, when the scalpers were getting nervous, the same seats were available for less than half what they had been asking earlier. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but it was worth it. I saved hundreds of dollars.

Good luck, Michelle! I really hope you get to a show.:wave: :hug:

The problem with ticketmaster relseasing tickets for show the week of, it you live 14 hours away from the nearest venue, you need a few months to plan a trip.

Re: Re: Who is responsible for this outrage?

biff said:

I think you need to wait them out. That's what I did.
I checked prices a few days before the show and they were outrageously high. On the day of the concert, when the scalpers were getting nervous, the same seats were available for less than half what they had been asking earlier. It was a bit nerve-wracking, but it was worth it. I saved hundreds of dollars.

Good luck, Michelle! I really hope you get to a show.:wave: :hug:

Thanks :hug: I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath :sigh:

the prices are apalling. :huh:
In sweden the tickets cost something like.. 50-70 euros..
I had to buy from the internet and paid 370 euros. :scream:

(It was worth it, though)

free market at work. if U2 raised their prices overall (or even had differentiated pricing for high-demand markets), you'd bitch about the band making the money instead of the broker. unless you want a UN resolution to track U2 tickets, this is the way life is.

this is no more "unfair" than U2 deciding where they're going to play. brokers and capitalism are easy targets. you think "real fans" that see them 30+ times a tour (depriving 29 people of seeing the band once, and also driving up demand for tickets) and who feel entitled to get them at face value as well, are any better than the broker allowing 29 people to determine if U2 is worth the cost to see once?

yeah, GA's are usually in the hundreds and a great seat is going to run you more. get off your high-horse and get an upper-level seat for cheap if you want to see the band. if you think you're too good to sit in the nose-bleeds, like a lot of fans who are happy to get in, then maybe you should explain why you should get special treatment on everything.

I do find it odd that people that buy tickets drops are not ushered diretly inside. U2 did this on the ZOOTV tour in 1992, but do not do the same in 2001 and 2005?

I know of several U2 fans that travel to see the band and fund their trips by re-selling GAs.

u2fp

I was screwed with the presale just like everybody else, but I was able to get tickets to every show that I wanted to go to via Ticketmaster and tickets.com. It's not easy, but I am proof that it's not impossible...

i bought a GA ticket from a ticket broker for the scond night in NJ two days before the show for $115.00. If you can wait until right before the show you can get a decent deal, either from brokers or late ticket drops from tm.

"The problem with ticketmaster relseasing tickets for show the week of, it you live 14 hours away from the nearest venue, you need a few months to plan a trip."

BINGO!

Planning to get to a concert more than a few hundreds of miles away at the drop of a hat is a BIG problem with waiting for the last minute to get tix.

I wonder what site had Portland GAs for $150 last month - I didn't see it. :(

And the problem with buying tix on the spur of the moment is that sometimes when Ticketmaster wants to offer tix, you may not have that much available on your cc!

Ultimately it comes down to those whose have money can see U2 and those of us who are scraping botton economically are often left behind.

And for that kind of economic apartheid to take place at U2 concerts is quite discouraging - given their historic alliance with fairness and social justice.

I know it's all big business and the modern music industry but it's still disheartening.

I'm just buying a plane ticket to Portland and take my chances.:up:

Jamila said:
"The problem with ticketmaster relseasing tickets for show the week of, it you live 14 hours away from the nearest venue, you need a few months to plan a trip."

BINGO!

Planning to get to a concert more than a few hundreds of miles away at the drop of a hat is a BIG problem with waiting for the last minute to get tix.

I wonder what site had Portland GAs for $150 last month - I didn't see it. :(

And the problem with buying tix on the spur of the moment is that sometimes when Ticketmaster wants to offer tix, you may not have that much available on your cc!

Ultimately it comes down to those whose have money can see U2 and those of us who are scraping botton economically are often left behind.

And for that kind of economic apartheid to take place at U2 concerts is quite discouraging - given their historic alliance with fairness and social justice.

I know it's all big business and the modern music industry but it's still disheartening.

:Yes:

Exactly Jamila! That's how I feel!

Good luck, and I hope you're able to get a ticket :up:

Jamila said:

So, what you want is U2 *not* to be "discovered" or enjoyed by any people with money, just so you can go to a concert? If so, it's pretty damn arrogant to say that only real U2 fans are poor. It's supply and demand, and U2 has fans that have negative net worth as well as billionaires (e.g. Bill Gates). Reality is a fan that can afford a ticket for a couple hundred of dollars is not going to pass on it. Blame it on the bands popularity and the limited number of seats on a tour.

And really, tying this crap about a sense of entitlement to get into a concert over someone else (because you'll pay less for the ticket) with the band's campaign on "fairness and social justice" is absurd! You don't live in an impoverished African as an AIDS orphan. You aren't imprissioned by a military regime. Guess what, you actually have the ability to earn and spend money on a ticket if it's that important to you. Get off this website and put in a few extra hours of work a day.

Quit the woe-is-me, I'm the world's biggest victim, the rich are plotting against me crap. This attitude contributes more to your "poverty" as all these conspiracies in your head.

I'm sure Nelson Mandela would really approve of your use of the word apartheid-- let me know when you're out of solitary confinement in a few decades.

Last edited:
Jamila said:
"Ultimately it comes down to those whose have money can see U2 and those of us who are scraping botton economically are often left behind.

I'm not trying to be smart, but if you're struggling economically wouldn't it make more sense for you to try to get a Dallas ticket than to fly to Portland and get a hotel room there.

Airfare is a lot more expensive that some of the tickets available on ebay or the broker sites.

kellyahern said:

I'm not trying to be smart, but if you're struggling economically wouldn't it make more sense for you to try to get a Dallas ticket than to fly to Portland and get a hotel room there.

Airfare is a lot more expensive that some of the tickets available on ebay or the broker sites.

:yes:

In fact, if you are really, really struggling economically, wouldn't it be better to just forget about U2 concert tickets entirely?

my 169 dollar seat sold on ebay for below face because no one wanted to pay for it, so there are deals out there. that was for msg too.

if you really want to go, there are deals out there, but they may not be for the place that you want to see them in. can't be picky.

teammjs2 said:

So, what you want is U2 *not* to be "discovered" or enjoyed by any people with money, just so you can go to a concert? If so, it's pretty damn arrogant to say that only real U2 fans are poor. It's supply and demand, and U2 has fans that have negative net worth as well as billionaires (e.g. Bill Gates). Reality is a fan that can afford a ticket for a couple hundred of dollars is not going to pass on it. Blame it on the bands popularity and the limited number of seats on a tour.

And really, tying this crap about a sense of entitlement to get into a concert over someone else (because you'll pay less for the ticket) with the band's campaign on "fairness and social justice" is absurd! You don't live in an impoverished African as an AIDS orphan. You aren't imprissioned by a military regime. Guess what, you actually have the ability to earn and spend money on a ticket if it's that important to you. Get off this website and put in a few extra hours of work a day.

Quit the woe-is-me, I'm the world's biggest victim, the rich are plotting against me crap. This attitude contributes more to your "poverty" as all these conspiracies in your head.

I'm sure Nelson Mandela would really approve of your use of the word apartheid-- let me know when you're out of solitary confinement in a few decades.

Great post!:up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

shhh... if you complain about the total tickets banner fake edge will come and smoke you.

Cute...I'm not afraid of fake edge!

So, why don't we who think this whole modern-day ticketing process sucks (it's not just U2 of course; the internet makes scalping too easy and gives it the veneer of legitimacy, looking like free markets at work when it's more like the predatory practices and shady opportunism of unregulated and possibly rigged markets in many places, imho)...and who like Interference,
ask our leaders here:

WTF is with a fan site having a scalping agency at a banner position?!
Is the revenue significant enough to offset the blow to the soul?
I'd love to hear some justification...numbers on revenue for the banner, what's up?!
I'm already signed on as a premium member, but I'd be willing to buy wristbands or a t-shirt or something if that thing would come down. I mean, a link to the scalpers as some more hidden listing for tickets sources is one thing, but the big ol' ad banner is just cheesy to say the very very least, no?!

cheers all...

ShellBeThere said:
WTF is with a fan site having a scalping agency at a banner position?!

Just to clarify....

Scalper = person with no licence who sells tickets (against the law)

broker = person with licence to sell tickets. Total Tickets is a broker site. (legal)

Back
Top Bottom