Vertigo Tour Idea -- Need Feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3invertednines

Babyface
Well, so far my absolute favorite part of this tour has been the acoustic live version Yahweh that Edge and Bono play together. It's very touching and just overall epic.

And let's face it, there's nothing bigger right now than this brilliant fucking tour, is there? It's discussed on every radio station in every town on the tour and everywhere else you go.

So here's my idea: U2 has been known to make some special engagements along the way, especially during ZOOTV. In my opinion, it would be absolutely fantastic if the band took a few days off to re-introduce the MTV Unplugged show to the world. MTV Unplugged was such a great show in the '90's, with some really good bands playing (the best being Nirvana, in my opinion) and I can only attribute it's demise due to lack of talent in the popular music industry (for instance, no one wants to see Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park play anywhere, let alone on MTV Unplugged). But U2 could not only pull it off, but it would be A) A great way to promote the second or third leg of the tour and B) the ratings would be HUGE and C) the Live CD of the concert would generate unbelievable revenue.

The songs that they could play Unplugged:

Running to Stand Still
One
Yahweh
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
In a Little While
In God's Country
Bad
All I Want is You
Staring at the Sun
If God Will Send His Angels
Peace on Earth

You might notice that we don't hear most these songs too much in concert, and that's exactly the point! Imagine a special acoustic engagement where they played all our favorite album tracks. It would be very intimate, I would think.

Anyone else feel this way? What songs would YOU like to hear them play an acoustic set of? I'm dying to know.

well if they did do this youd have to think stuck in a moment would be included since they already have an accoustic version of this

and original of the species is amaaaazing accoustic, i wish theyd add the accoustic version of this to the current tour

also the accoustic version of sometimes you cant make it... is amazing...

Last edited:
:hmm:

>>Imagines The Fly played on the banjo with scat singing (Vic Reeves (Shooting Stars) style)<< :lol:

:D

Don't forget Wild Honey :)

I've read quotes in an interview where they said they would never do MTV Unplugged because they already do an Unplugged set every night during their shows. But seems they've dropped that so who knows. :shrug:

Now, I HATE "eMpTy V" (MTV) just as much as every other music lover. But I think that the decision to revive a format like MTV Unplugged could definately bring U2 a wider and younger audience.

I'm 19 years old and I love this band. I wish I had more friends my age who felt the same way. But then again, I don't really want Limp Bizkit fans to start filling up U2 shows. We already have enough bleach-blonde, fake-boobed dunces who ruin the entire show by asking their boyfriend "what is this song called" after each and every fucking song! GROWL! Bitter? Yes, I'm bitter.

3invertednines said:
Running to Stand Still
One
Yahweh
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
In a Little While
In God's Country
Bad
All I Want is You
Staring at the Sun
If God Will Send His Angels
Peace on Earth
You can't play Bad unplugged! :?

My list could (would) be :

Running To Stand Still
Yahweh
One
Staring At The Sun
Desire
Stay (Far Away So Close)
When Love Comes To Town
With Or Without You
Walk On
Wake Up Dead Man
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Trying To Throw You Arms Around The World
The First Time

These songs can be done acousticly and would sound genuine and good... Songs like Bad and All I Wan't Is You lose their feeling when not played with a load of delay and Edge's strat sound!

bono_man2002 said:
You could add Vertigo and All Becasue Of You To That List.

It would be very cool to have edge Play Banjo Live :drool:

My nephew who is 2 1/2 loves to watch the video of Edge playing Vertigo on the Banjo, over and over and over.
:dancing:

I Still Haven't Found and A Sort of Homecoming would be nice sounding too:drool:

Cool thread -- I'd spend money on this.

How about adding some songs that feature piano only as well -- somewhere along the bootleg road there is a great version of Sunday Bloody Sunday that, if memory serves correctly, was done with simply the soft piano line. I want to say the well traveled and traded Tel Aviv show from Pop Mart, but I'm probably wrong.

Not much help on the set list ideas -- others have done a good job chiming in.

I just love U2 songs with piano lines -- NYD, RTSS -- others?

The Unplugged List: (not in order)

01 - Please
02 - Walk On
03 - One
04 - Even Better Than The Real Thing (yes.. it CAN be played)
05 - New Year's Day (beautiful acoustic)
06 - Numb (funny... and playable)
07 - Van Diemen's Land
08 - Sunday Bloody Sunday
09 - In God's Country
10 - Wild Honey
11 - Stay (Faraway So Close)
12 - Yahweh
13 - Desire
14 - Staring At The Sun
15 - October
16 - An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
17 - Where THe Streets Have No Name
18 - A Sort Of Homecoming
19 - Dirty Day
20 - Vertigo (on Banjo)
21 - Miracle Drug (or All Because Of You)
22 - Wake Up Dead Man
23 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
24 - Acrobat (amazing in acoustic, just B&E)

the only down side is that Bono would have to play the guitar in a lot of them :lol:

GREAT IDEA...:up:

my only comment is someone would like to see Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit play as together they have sold over 62 million albums/singles worldwide and would Linkin Park would probably have 10 times the ratings for show like this than U2 on MTV. UNFORTUNATELY.

My wife is a restaurant manager and has an entire staff of teenage employees. 8 of 10 have either never heard of U2 or couldn't pick a U2 song out of a lineup. If they do have knowledge of U2, it starts and stops with Vertigo and Beautiful Day.

What a wonderful world...

Last edited:
another idea would be VH1 Storytellers. Similiar to what MTV Unplugged used to be. And it seems like VH1 (which is owned by the same company that owns MTV) is pushing this show lately and spending the money for big named acts. Its not exactly unplugged but very intimate in nature at least. Unplugged would be best though of course.

I always wished U2 did MTV Unplugged but at the time U2 was going in the complete opposite direction as unplugged and it would have no sense.

Bono's voice would be amazing in an unplugged setting right now.

Back
Top Bottom