U2 vrs. Eagles tour - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 Vertigo Tour Central 2004 / 2005 / 2006 Archive > General Tour Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
You could hear the poor man's testicles screaming for help.
Best... Quote... Ever...

Are we honestly having an argument over the Eagles & U2? I mean really people... What's next... The Rolling Stones vs. Chicago?

Let's get a grip here.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:27 PM   #42
War Child

Local Time: 07:12 AM
Kiss or Kitaro? Who is better?

Led Zep or the Carpenters?

Thin Lizzy or the Partridge Family?

The Yankees or Tiger Woods?

"My feeling is that it is cool for people to share our music -- as long as no one is making money from the process. We tell people who come to our concerts that they can tape the shows if they want. I think it is cool that people are so passionate about our music" -- Bono
The continuous search for purpose...
Old 04-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

Are we honestly having an argument over the Eagles & U2? I mean really people... What's next... The Rolling Stones vs. Chicago?

Let's get a grip here.
Oh yeah, well you just wait until Peter Cetera comes back into the fold, and we'll see who is laughing.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #44
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:12 AM
@ this thread.

Someone is honestly comparing the Eagles to U2?

And someone honestly used "The Eagles" and "one of the biggest bands out there" in the same sentence, not separated by "are not"?

Silly, silly people.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:45 PM   #45
Babyface

Local Time: 12:12 PM
hey the two bands can't compare- they both are so different. I must tell you i go to alot of concerts and the eagles were hands down the best musically i have seen. i was a little bit of a fan of their music as i grew up on it but then in concert they blew me away. it was amazing to see all the different guitars they used for each song and their harmony was incredible- i cannot put into words how good they were-HOWEVER- their words are not as meaningful to me- just fun- good time remembering lyrics! u2 really can't be compared- but i do know one thing and as a female Bono's sexiness has them all beat!
i could watch him all day and all night!
Old 04-10-2005, 03:51 PM   #46
The Fly

Lets not forget that U2 have covered The Eagles.

I think Larry sung Tequila Sunrise once!

I have seen the Eagles a few times, and they are great if thats what you like. They are somewhat low key onstage (except Joe Walsh who is worth the price of admission alone) and the songs are played almost exactly as on the albums. There are no forgotten lyrics or missed cues. A very different but equally (maybe not quite) enjoyable experience to a U2 show. Variety is the spice of life - I've also had fun seeing Cher, The Who, Kiss, Ozzy, etc etc...
Old 04-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #47
Babyface

It's Save The Trees VERSUS Africa! Afriac! Africa!

Ther are now winners....
Old 04-10-2005, 05:34 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 08:12 PM
The Eagles don't know how to work an audience the way U2 does.

Cheers,

J
Old 04-10-2005, 06:07 PM   #49
Babyface

Quote:
I paid $100 for subpar seats to see the Eagles two years ago, thinking it might be a fun summer show with a friend, and it was absolutely horrible. The band absolutely hates one another--you can tell. Don Henley's microphone was so much louder than everyone else's, and he definitely can't hit high notes anymore. You could hear the poor man's testicles screaming for help. Glenn Frey was trying so obviously hard to act cool that he was embarrassing in the way your best friend's dad was embarrassing when you were 13 and he was trying to seem "cool." The show was atrocious--probably the worse I've ever seen.
The band hate's one another? They have been back together for 11 years....they could easily tour by themselves and make more money, seeing as how they wouldn't have to split it four ways....so that makes no sense.

Quote:
"I fucking hate the eagles man"
This has been claimed to have been said by Henley....back in the 70's. Most likely it was someone trying to make a scene.

Quote:
Or to put it another way your grandma may not like rock music but she LOOOOVVVVES Desperado. And Friends in Low Places for that matter...]
HaHa....making fun of Desperado is like making fun of One. There is nothing wrong with Desperado.

Quote:
Glen Frey hasn't done shit in years, everyone knows this. His voice is similar to that of Henley's. They don't sing in high registers, and don't have much of a baritone either, just a good solid serviceable voice, that compliments the music well.
Henley can't sing the high notes? That's absurd. Listen to "Last Resort", or for that matter go to a concert of theirs. Then bite yourself after hearing his voice.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 08:12 AM
what do you think about hootie & the blowfish vs. the beatles?

my money's on hootie... he's still relevant. aferall, he's in that burger king commerical
Old 04-10-2005, 06:43 PM   #51
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by cardosino

U2 is the most popular relevant band who are still issuing new and interesting product. The rest are a bunch of old dinosaurs who can't cut it without a huge number of backing musicians to help out.
HAHA what? Let me just say I am a huge fan of both bands, but have not yet seen U2 (am flying from saskatchewan to vancouver to see them apr. 28&29)... to call the eagles old dinosaurs who cant cut it is completly out of line... u2 are the ones using BACKING TRACKS... u2 is the band with the singer who struggles through every song... dont get me wrong i love both bands, but the eagles are very much still alive
Old 04-10-2005, 06:45 PM   #52
The Fly

anyone who is actually a singer knows that henley can hit much higher notes than bono... and yes, last resort, one of my all time eagles favorites, their most underated song without a doubt... these two bands should be touring together haha
Old 04-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #53
The Fly

im a bit upset by the "i fuckin hate the eagles" people... i can pretty safely say no one has ever made an album as complete as hotel california... it is only 9 songs, so maybe if you took some u2 albums and cut out a few songs, they would be close... but that album is GOLD, start to finish
Old 04-10-2005, 07:16 PM   #54
War Child

I like the Eagles and love U2. The Eagles songs do create more emotional attachment than your average pop song, but for me, Bono's lyrics are the pinnacle of spirit and emotion. Bad, Wake Up Dead Man, Miss Sarajevo, Acrobat, Yahweh, Mofo, Stay, Beautiful Day, Until the End of the World, Heartland, A Sort of Homecoming, One Tree Hill, Kite, etc. are lyrical masterpieces IMO.

Thus, for me, U2 wins this battle without much of a sweat.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #55
War Child

Oh, and another thing, could you imagine Henley trying to portray a character onstage, ala Macphisto? That is one area where Bono would put him and just about everyone else, save Peter Gabriel of the early '70s, to shame. Many people would say that Macphisto has nothing to do with music, but who cares, it was so COOL!!