U2 on Radio Times magazine cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flexing

Babyface
For the first time ever in the 83 year history of the UK's best known magazine brand, (it''s like an upmarket TV Guide) U2 are appearing on the cover of the UK's Radio Times.

This is to celebrate Live8 and they are part of an eight (yes eight) cover special (others include Macca, REM and Coldplay).

The mag is out next Tuesday and is just 93p. A friend sent me the cover but I'm not sure how I post it????

Oh - forgot to say - there's an interview inside too!!!! Bono's quote on the cover says - "The molecules are vibrating very fast"

eh??????? Has he been at the tinker juice again??!!!

ee27529d.jpg

Theres a larger version here (189k)

Corr. :ohmy: Here it is. Thanks for sharing. Do you happen to have the interview as well?

I will early next week. Tuesday probably - when it goes on-sale.

The cover shot was done just before the second gig at Manchester.

Floyd won't be in the same room until probably this weekend - rehearsing I'd imagine! These covers were all shot in the last week and given the mag goes on sale Tuesday - it wouldn't have been part of the plan. Logistically, this is an amazing thing for any publisher to pull off. Eight different covers. Wow. Imagine how l they'll look on the shop shelves!!!

Floyd at Live8....:drool:

Sorry, but they will steal the show on the day. U2 were 2nd best to Queen at Live Aid in 85, and I reckon they'll have to settle for that again next week.

Tho I guess I should wait and see the performences first!:wink:

Thank Beli for actually sbeing able to see the cover. I'm so technophobic, it's a miracle you can actually see this message! lol

Will post the interview possibly monday. Now, gotta catch a plane to the best town in the world for a very important gig this Monday (my home town). Croker - here I come!

Thanks Beli. As I said in the email - I'm pretty sure they'll come to Oz in the spring.

Here's some more news from today's Irish Independent:

Fans determined not to miss a beat of U2's first sell-out gig in Croke Park

IN a show of devotion, U2 fans began queueing outside Croke Park yesterday - more than 36 hours before the band takes the stage tonight.

A small army of technicians inside the ground was assembling the massive stage which has been hauled to Dublin piece by piece for three sold-out performances this weekend in front of 240,000 people.

Outside, Dutch fan Jan Moet (40) began queueing from 7am in the morning and was joined by other European U2 devotees within hours. "I want the privilege of being right up front when the cameras begin rolling. It's very important to me because I think this will be one of their last tours," said the Dutchman, who has tickets to see all three dates in Ireland, as well as their concerts in Holland and Spain.

Beside him were Italians Andrea Traversa (27) and Stefano Tupone (29), from Modena and Naples, who had started queueing at 10am.

For Andrea, tonight is the first of 15 U2 concerts that he will attend across Europe over the coming months before he heads for the USA in October to see the band play in New York.

The student estimates that up to 80pc of the money he earns from part-time work as a waiter, a soccer referee and a Maths lecturer is spent on records, albums and posters of the Irish band.

Inside Croke Park, U2 manager Paul McGuinness said that the band relished performing at the venue, describing it as a perfect place to play. "There is a gladiatorial aspect to playing the outdoor shows of this type, in comparison to the smaller places like Madison Square Garden," he chuckled.

All around him was evidence of the mammoth undertaking that is the 'Vertigo' show - one of the most expensive rock events ever staged.

A total of 83 technicians have been assembling podiums, speakers and a giant video screen which will form a backdrop to the band. The stage at the Hill 16 end reaches a height of 28 metres and is 68 metres wide and 30 metres deep.

Around 9,000 individual lights will flash, while a total of 210 speakers will blast out the voice and music of Bono and the boys - with the potential to reach 250,000 watts.

The stage has also been built back into Hill 16 in order for its bulk not to stand on the "sacred" Croke Park turf.

The band are set to gross €175m from their 'Vertigo' tour, and sales of merchandise are 30pc higher than expected. "The demand has been higher than at any time in U2's career. All the shows sold out instantly," he added.

The gates at Croke Park are due to open to fans this evening at 4pm, while U2 are due to take the stage at 8.45pm following two support acts.

ends

Diane L said:
What is WITH these guys? They keep looking better and better!

I'm not crazy about how Bono looks in that shot, but the other three...!!!

Yeah Bono's head looks a little out of shape somehow on that pic. Larry just looks great always these days..........hang on, I keep doing this, commenting on the bands looks! What's wrong with me?! Am I turning?:ohmy:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom