U2 in Amphitheaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_acrobat

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Does anyone wish U2 would tour amphitheaters instead of arenas in the U.S.? I'd like to see U2 outdoors, but they don't tour stadiums in the U.S. Why not play amphitheaters? I saw Aerosmith live at Germain Amphitheater in Columbus, and I just kept wondering what kind of show U2 could put on in a place like this. They are gonna have to do something different for their next tour, this could be it.

U2 have only played 3 amphitheaters in the U.S. Red Rocks of course, Compton Terrace in Phoenix, and World Music Amphitheater in Chicago. I think this could be a new frontier for U2's live show to explore. Most amphitheaters hold 15-20,000, same as an arena show. Also, they'd save money by not having to drag around that stage.

Stadiums rock..but man I'd love to see them do that. It would be a completely different experience. I think it would have suited a tour like elevation.

partygirlvox said:
Stadiums rock..but man I'd love to see them do that. It would be a completely different experience. I think it would have suited a tour like elevation.

Elevation did have an amphitheatre show, Berlin. I think Slane counts too.

i think the problem would be finding suitable ampitheatre's in every major market to make it work.

the main amiptheatre in the new york area i guess would be Jones Beach, with a capacity of around 15,000, a good 4,000 less than what would fit in MSG. one would think they would jack prices up once again to make up for having fewer seats... even if they don't scalper prices will go through the roof.

it would also mark the end of the GA ticket, with most ampitheatres having permanent seats close to the stage area.

:shrug: while i would love to see U2 at a place like Jones Beach...
JonesBeachTheater.jpg

or The Gorge in Washington state :drool: ...
DSCN1917.jpg

i highly doubt it'll ever happen

Last edited:
U2 will probably never do a stadium tour in the US again. They may do a handful of them in bigger cities, but even that is pushing our luck, sadly. (I realize Honolulu is in the US, but that doesn't really count.) I just think U2 could put on a really creative show in a space like this. Lets face it... the Vertigo tour was basically Elevation 2 with a few upgrades in the technology department. I really just want to see U2 outdoors, and I know this is the only way it's possible for me (unless I fly outside of the US, which is always a possibility as well.)

if u2 brought their vertigo stadium act to new york, boston, chicago, miami, vegas, LA and maybe a few other select cities, even with the material being 2+ years old, they would have no problem selling out a football stadium... they could probably do 2-3 nights in a row with no issue in new york and boston.

I think part of it is the general... I dunno, "aging rocker" vibe associated with shed tours. When Queen and Paul Rodgers toured the U.S. this spring, they specifically stayed away from amphitheatres, prefering to play to 3/4 full arenas because apparently that was more artistically satisfying (I think that's a bunch of crap, but it's what BM said at the time).

Personally I'd love to see U2 do a shed tour (I live an hour from Red Rocks, that would be heaven lol), but given the ticket fiasco with Vertigo, can you imagine what would happen if they had half the number of tickets on sale?

T

Fuck ampitheaters. If U2's next tour doesn't have a rotating or exploding part of the stage, I'm not going.

bono_man2002 said:
The Stage is part of the whole U2 experience though, right?

Why? U2 were regarded as one of the best live acts around in the 80's without 'The Stage'. In fact, they built there audience through their live shows in the 80's...hardly a video screen or catwalk in sight!

After 15 or so years of BIG tours, I would love to see U2 scale it right down on the next tour. Not a bare stage or anything. Just no screens, no catwalks, etc. Maybe just some nice lights and projector-type screens. Bring the focus back to being almost totally being on the music. :drool:

I believe Radiohead did a smaller venue tour this year of US playing places like the Greek Theatre. Is this a medium-size venue? Perhaps about 10,000? Perfect...

I really think this would be something unexpected from U2 these days and a great new challenge for them.

PS - This would also work in really well with my idea of playing a some more songs from The Unforgettable Fire. :drool: :drool:

bono_man said:
I believe Radiohead did a smaller venue tour this year of US playing places like the Greek Theatre. Is this a medium-size venue? Perhaps about 10,000? Perfect...

u2 are a tad bigger than radiohead...

as someone already said... the ticket fiasco was bad enough playing arenas. imagine if they cut the tickets back another 5 to 10 thousand tickets? it would be absolute chaos. imagine the scalper prices...

the stones still did it best on the 40 licks tour... clubs, arenas and stadiums in the biggest markets.

makes everyone happy while meeting the ticket demand as well.

i really think amphitheaters are the worst settings for concerts. cool amphitheaters like the gorge are few and far between.

I've never had a really great amphitheater experience in terms of going simply for the music. Sure, if it's all about socializing and fending off bugs as big as small children then it's a good time (most of my amphitheater experience has been in the river flats by the Missouri River).
Plus the 7 dollar beers :drool:

From my experience, most amphitheatres suck (at least the ones in northern california, with the exception of the Greek Theatre on the campus of UC Berkeley - but even there sound can be iffy depending on where you sit).

I was able to see 3 U2 shows in the amphitheater atmosphere (obviously Zoo TV in Chicago). While it was interesting and they were all good shows, it did have an odd vibe to it over the rest of the tour. :shrug:

I think the problem would be that U2's staging typically dictates only certain type of venues for the most part and amphitheaters typically don't fit the bill. Not to mention typically when U2 tours, they spend most of the summer portion of the tour in Europe, not in N. America.

I think they like the controlled setting an indoor arena offers. Mixing it up would be cool but I doubt it'll happen.

My biggest suggestions for the next tour. Raise the ticket price a couple bucks to cover the additional man hours- but all tickets must be picked up at the will-call window.

I would love to see them in an amphitheatre. The acoustics there and really in any outdoor setting is much better than in an arena. I nearly went deaf in Phoenix last yr standing in GA. I then used ear plugs (the cheap kinds, I didn't learn of the good ones that doesnt muff the sound until later) and that kinda ruined the experience. In an outdoor setting, you shouldn't have to use ear plugs and the sound is much better which is really what we're there for anyway.

Back
Top Bottom