U2 Filming for DVD Release in Vancouver.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vancouver was excellent on the Elevation Tour and any Canadian city would be great in my mind.

they were in gm place for a long time, but didnt seem to do a lot of rehearsing, maybe it was more a production scouting type thing going on...

Maybe, but i think they will release another british show. Twickenham sounds like a good one, especially because the British are amongst the most fanatical U2 fans.

Someone on the Elevation DVD said the best show was on NYC but of course the cameras weren't there to record it.

Do it in NYC. U2 have a special thing going on with that city and I want the best concer possible to be recorded.

BrownEyedBoy said:
Someone on the Elevation DVD said the best show was on NYC but of course the cameras weren't there to record it.

Do it in NYC. U2 have a special thing going on with that city and I want the best concer possible to be recorded.

No NO MORE US CITIES! Should be in Canada, i say toronto or Vancouver!

They have a special thing going for vancouver

I'm not sure what the benefit would be to filming a DVD in Vancouver. The whole point of making a DVD is to sell it. Like it or not, the US and Europe are the key target markets for U2 sales and markets prefer DVDs from venues/concerts closer to home or with some sort of special quality...ie. Boston has a huge Irish population. Dublin is their hometown.

A Vancouver DVD doesn't make any sense to me from a business standpoint. Toronto would make a little more sense, but I still think U2 would choose to film a New York or London show because even Toronto can't compete with these cities, whose markets are much more powerful and would prefer to buy a DVD of their hometown performance over a DVD in Vancouver or Toronto.

I'm not altogether sure why - in the context of a Canadian DVD - Montreal was left off people's lists in this thread, since the crowd makes it the most raucous show in North America and, just as it was on Elevation, it will be the loudest on the tour. If you want to show a U2 party, there's no competition from either of the above cities. However, I suspect that it has a lot to do with the typical Canadian attitude of forgetting that Montreal is Canada's second powerful market and is internationally known as a festival/party city. Whatever, the case may be, I would love to see a YVR DVD!

Finally, I was at the San Diego show and that was also taped, as it stated on notices pasted to the doors of the IPay One Centre. That said, I'm not sure that simply because it's being filmed that will actually end up on a DVD. The first show probably wouldn't be their best bet. it was amazing, but a little stiff.

Jon

Klink said:
I'm not sure what the benefit would be to filming a DVD in Vancouver. The whole point of making a DVD is to sell it. Like it or not, the US and Europe are the key target markets for U2 sales and markets prefer DVDs from venues/concerts closer to home or with some sort of special quality...ie. Boston has a huge Irish population. Dublin is their hometown.

Not sure about that Jon. There is a large Irish contingent in many cities throughout the world for sure, including my own hometown of Glasgow. Having said that, I can't quite see U2 or their management, basing a concert DVD simply on that town's Irish connections. Popmart in Mexico would be the obvious exception to that arguement I suppose.

Demographics aside, I think that crowd reaction is certainly part of it, tho' the overall performance during the show, quality of the sound and lighting, etc, are more likely to be the key elements in any final decision. A great crowd or a sympathetically Irish crowd is one thing, but if the show is not to U2 standards the cameras and microphones will reveal all. Like a U2 album, U2 won't put anything they consider to be less than their best on sale.

Where we go to a show, or a few shows and probably think they are the greatest, everybody will no doubt have that opinion about the one they attended. In theory, you would need to go to many shows, in several countries, comparing crowds, acoustics, lighting, location (i.e. stadia/arenas) to be able to say ONE in particular was best. U2 on the other hand, will be able to film as many or as few shows as they want/need, then decide which one will probably be best suited to broadcast or sale based on several different factors.

If a Vancouver or Montreal concert had all of the qualities they wanted in a possible DVD, that would be the one that ended up on the shelves. The same applies to any city on the tour.

Steve

You guys missed the biggest component. MONEY and LOGISTICS

U2's management has to figure out what the cost of the extra production in a given market, country, region etc. They have to determine if the venue suits the needs of that additional production and whether they can employ the additional staff needed and bring the technical staff expertise together at a given location. Not to mention you have to deal with the local unions and licensing laws and fees that apply at certain venues, cities, states and countries. It ALL factors in. Typically they look at what venue/cities meet those needs, where they fit in the tour and THEN decide which they think works best with everything combined.

Does Vancouver meet that criteria, it very well could. They may even film it. But as some pointed out it doesnt mean its going to be the DVD. My "guess" this time out is that they will probebly film one of the Euro Stadium shows this summer and possibly a few of the MSG NY shows this fall and decide which they want to release at that point. I dont think we will see a 2 separate tour DVD releases for Vertigo as we did for Elevation though.

Two places I can almost guarantee you they wont film in are Philly and NJ. Labor, union and licensing laws in those two areas are very prohibitive. U2 could afford it obviously, but I think they would opt for a different area and venue thats not so expensive.

Last edited:
Klink said:
A
I'm not altogether sure why - in the context of a Canadian DVD - Montreal was left off people's lists in this thread, since the crowd makes it the most raucous show in North America and, just as it was on Elevation, it will be the loudest on the tour. If you want to show a U2 party, there's no competition from either of the above cities.

Jon

Montreal IS loud and of the 9 Elevation shows it was easily the loudest (yes, surpassing Dublin, London, NYC, etc) but it's just noise. That's it. Hardly any singing at all!! I was disappointed in that regards but still a great show!

Anyhoo, I digress from the point of the thread...

i'm hoping the Canucks get a DVD! :up:

but if U2 for some reason decides not to... then could they please film chicago on 5/10 or 5/12? really, i'm not biased at all... :wink:

i think they should release the opener with a bonus feature dedicated to love and peace or else fan dancing :wink:

Twickenham, London: 75,000 people and 2 nights

Arena, Amsterdam: 50,000 people and 3 nights

San Siro, Milan: maybe 50,000 people and 2 nights

St Dennis, Paris: 80,000 people and 2 nights

and..

Camp Nou, Barcelona: 95,000 people, the biggest stadium and biggest crowd of this year :D:D:D

American friends, it's time to film an european show with a wild audience (Boston seems a zzzzzZZZZzz crowd!) or, film one stadium show and one arena tour, but not a single DVD with anoooother northamerican/arena show :(

In that case, my favourites are:

Manchester
London
Milan
Amsterdam
Paris
and
Barcelona :wink: :drool:

for Euro shows, and..

NY-MSG
Chicago (2nd leg)
Toronto
Montreal

for NA shows.

Vox

Last edited:
Canada has the most U2 fans per capita in the world outside of Ireland there is no questioning this fact.

I wanna know that too!
I wonder when they are arriving at the airport? Anyone know?
Ha ha!
All Because of you just came on the radio.

They have already been in Vancouver for days they went to Vancouver straight after Denver...I saw Bono on CBC doing an interview the other day.

Seeing the ratio of shows in North America versus the rest of the world makes me wonder about these claims that every where else has better fans. U2 doesn't seem to have a problem playing a majority of their shows when they tour to North American fans.

Yahweh said:
They have already been in Vancouver for days they went to Vancouver straight after Denver...I saw Bono on CBC doing an interview the other day.
What are you talking about?
Didnt they just play Seattle last night and the night before? :eyebrow:

And based upon pure record sales data the US makes up about 37 percent of the world market for U2....in the 80s it was about 50 percent.

stevec said:

Not sure about that Jon. There is a large Irish contingent in many cities throughout the world for sure, including my own hometown of Glasgow. Having said that, I can't quite see U2 or their management, basing a concert DVD simply on that town's Irish connections. Popmart in Mexico would be the obvious exception to that arguement I suppose.

Demographics aside, I think that crowd reaction is certainly part of it, tho' the overall performance during the show, quality of the sound and lighting, etc, are more likely to be the key elements in any final decision. A great crowd or a sympathetically Irish crowd is one thing, but if the show is not to U2 standards the cameras and microphones will reveal all. Like a U2 album, U2 won't put anything they consider to be less than their best on sale.

Where we go to a show, or a few shows and probably think they are the greatest, everybody will no doubt have that opinion about the one they attended. In theory, you would need to go to many shows, in several countries, comparing crowds, acoustics, lighting, location (i.e. stadia/arenas) to be able to say ONE in particular was best. U2 on the other hand, will be able to film as many or as few shows as they want/need, then decide which one will probably be best suited to broadcast or sale based on several different factors.

If a Vancouver or Montreal concert had all of the qualities they wanted in a possible DVD, that would be the one that ended up on the shelves. The same applies to any city on the tour.

Steve

I don't disagree with you. My comment was not mean to contend that it was simply based on Irish populations, but also many other factors, the most important of which is actually market power. Boston is a huge U2 market largely because of its Irish characteristics, but also because it's in the US and Americans would have a greater interest in purchasing a DVD of a show played in their country. It satisfies both fanbase requirements and an attractive, key US market that makes its purchase likely on a wider scale. Mexico city is the most populous city in the world, with a population that is comparable to that of our entire country in Canada. So it in itself is a significant market. I agree with you, and my post was not meant to convey the idea that there is only one factor playing into the launch of a DVD. Certainly the Irish component pales in comparison to the power of the market (city/country).

Jon

ladywithspinninghead said:

Montreal IS loud and of the 9 Elevation shows it was easily the loudest (yes, surpassing Dublin, London, NYC, etc) but it's just noise. That's it. Hardly any singing at all!! I was disappointed in that regards but still a great show!

Anyhoo, I digress from the point of the thread...

All I will say that this is not my experience. I have boots of all the elevation shows and the POP, ZooTv shows as well as many friends who were also at the elevation shows and as far as we can tell everybody was singing and going ballistic. Maybe it depends on where you were, but from our vantage points and re-listening to the bootlegged shows, you could clearly hear the crowd singing. Anyway, maybe it depends on where you're standing.

regards,
Jon

Last edited:
American friends, it's time to film an european show with a wild audience (Boston seems a zzzzzZZZZzz crowd!) or, film one stadium show and one arena tour, but not a single DVD with anoooother northamerican/arena show :(

In that case, my favourites are:

Manchester
London
Milan
Amsterdam
Paris
and
Barcelona :wink: :drool:

for Euro shows, and..

NY-MSG
Chicago (2nd leg)
Toronto
Montreal

for NA shows.

Vox [/B][/QUOTE]

if you think any of those 4 NA shows will be any crazier than vancouver on thurs & fri... you are sadly mistaken... the band will be at their peak for the entire tour, and the presence of 3 saskatchewan folk will take this thing up a couple notches...

and as far as the logistics stuff goes, everyone knows it's cheap as hell to film in vancouver... most hollywood stuff is filmed there nowdays...

Yahweh said:
And based upon pure record sales data the US makes up about 37 percent of the world market for U2....in the 80s it was about 50 percent.

Hey, if you're going to spit out a stat, can you back it up with a link as a source?

They'd definitely get more bang for the buck in Vancouver than stateside.

Vancouver does start with the letter 'V', just like Vertigo...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom