U2 commercial

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
Don't you have the feeling that U2 is going to be a little too commercial?

-Ticketprices for the last tour were very high. Seems that they're gonna be even more expensive for next tour
-Seems that (after ending the Propaganda) in the next future you can join their fanclub...and pay for it! They'll have everything in their own hands and want to earn as much money as possible...Maybe you'll have the first right to tickets for the tour, just as the Stones did for their previous shows....The reaction will be that a lot of die-hard fans will join the 'fanclub' and pay even more money for it!

Don't know for sure if this will happen, but I'm afraid for it...

Everyone has hight ticket prices. Except for tiny indie bands. U2 isn't a tiny indie band.

You had to pay for Propaganda as well.

I see no issue.

MrBrau1 said:
Everyone has hight ticket prices. Except for tiny indie bands. U2 isn't a tiny indie band.

Indeed. Plus, should U2 have low ticketprices, then you have a higher chance that you're not able to buy a ticket. Not only is the demand much higher then, but shady scalpers will buy up even more of the available tickets. Which you can of course buy from them, but with a premium. So in the end you'll pay probably much more than you would have should U2 have asked that much for it. Or you pay the same, but instead of U2 the money goes to those scalpers.
If you want to support them, great for you. I'd rather support the band.

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:

Indeed. Plus, should U2 have low ticketprices, then you have a higher chance that you're not able to buy a ticket. Not only is the demand much higher then, but shady scalpers will buy up even more of the available tickets. Which you can of course buy from them, but with a premium. So in the end you'll pay probably much more than you would have should U2 have asked that much for it. Or you pay the same, but instead of U2 the money goes to those scalpers.

C ya!

Marty

I have to disagree with you, If the prices were low, let's say $45 for ALL tickets then yes the scalpers would try really hard to buy lots of them BUT that would also dictate the price they would scalp them for. You could probably buy scalped tickets (really awesome seats) for $100. Now if U2 sells tickets for $80 to $130 then if you go to a scalper they will sell those tix to you for a lot more like for $120 to $200. I remember ticket brokers selling POPMart tix for $100 (once again top seats) that they bought originally for $65, now if they had bought them for $100 they would scalp them for $150. Do you see what I'm saying ?

THe other thing is that a band has the final say on the price of their tickets. How much does Dave Mathews charge for his tix and I heard he sells out lots of places too.

Last edited:
Popmartijn said:

C ya!

Marty

Don't fully agree with you. See also the reaction of EvolutionMonkey. Besides, shady scalpers shouldnt be a reason for high ticket prices. those two things have nothing to do with each other.

grtz, Pascal.

PS hey are you also a Spearhead fan!? Great music! I saw them in The Hague at North Sea Jazz. Awesome!

EvolutionMonkey said:
I have to disagree with you, If the prices were low, let's say $45 for ALL tickets then yes the scalpers would try really hard to buy lots of them BUT that would also dictate the price they would scalp them for. You could probably buy scalped tickets (really awesome seats) for $100. Now if U2 sells tickets for $80 to $130 then if you go to a scalper they will sell those tix to you for a lot more like for $120 to $200. I remember ticket brokers selling POPMart tix for $100 (once again top seats) that they bought originally for $65, now if they had bought them for $100 they would scalp them for $150. Do you see what I'm saying ?

Well, I don't think the ticket price has that much to do with the price scalpers sell their tickets for. If a scalper can get $200 for a $45 face value ticket it will not set its price at $100 just because he then already has a 100%+ margin.
As for your Popmart example, those scalpers might initially try to sell them at $150, but when nobody's buying them, their price quickly drops to a price they can get rid of them (even when that means going below face value).
Scalpers don't set the price solely based on the price they paid for it, but also on the price they can get. When there is high demand, prices will be high.

C ya!

Marty

most bands when they are sucessful are commercial or sell out. It is part of the Biz that I have learnt to accept.

Now I accept that we may all be a touch bias on this website but I think the one thing you can say about the band and it is particularly refreshing in todays manufactured music industry today is, that it has never been just about the money.
How much more money would Elevation have made had it been stadia rather than arenas.

Original price has little to do with the price scalpers sell at. It all has to do with supply and demand (like everything else in this world).

GA tix for Elevation shows in the US were selling for $200-300 each when original face value was $45.

'Professional' scalpers have pretty deep pockets ? they can afford to buy as many tix as possible cause they know they'll more than likely recoup their costs and make a profit.

It sucks, but there will always be people forced to buy tix via scalpers.

No matter the price, if you want to go to a u2 concert, get them the second they are available. The last show I saw the face value was $45 and I paid $169 for the ticket through eBay.

Back
Top Bottom