U2 & Clear Channel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mo_Smyth

Babyface
I had these questioning thoughts when I realised U2 where teaming up with theClear Channel. As much as I love U2 I do wonder how Bono can jusify helping the poor while allowing the big business to run riot. I mean do his principles not extend beyond Africa? He lectures the world leaders - when is he going to tackle the far more influencial world businesses who control our lives?

It's especially galling to think of all those corporate "fat cats" getting pride of place at Live8. You know they don't give a damn about the music and just want to schmooze. Not that Geldof or anyone can do a damn thing.

U2 is a corportation doing deals with other corporations. The problem is I think this takes away from Bono's very effective campaiginig for Africa.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From Belfast Telegraph.

Ian O'Doherty

13 June 2005
When U2 drag their massive tour around America and Europe, punters are guaranteed several things. They know, for instance, that they will be bombarded by corporate sponsorship at every turn. They know that they can expect to pay over the odds for food and drink. And they know that they can look forward to an evening of tub-thumping entertainment from a band who, even their critics accept, are an astonishing live act.

The high prices are hardly U2's fault, given the way the costs of running a tour have escalated so much in recent years. And Bono's hectoring exhortations to give more money to Africa and other worthy causes have the added benefit of giving concert-goers the sense that they were at more than just another concert, that they were somehow celebrants in a very 21st century Mass.

What they probably won't know is that U2 have also thrown their lot in with Clear Channel, the American media giant which is staging the band's tour. Clear Channel is "the 800-pound gorilla of American entertainment", according to Eric Boehlert, an American journalist who has been following the company's inexorable rise over the last few years.

Bono's people would be quick to point out that you have to deal with the biggest when your own tour is that big, and music fans will remember with a wince Eddie Vedder's brave, if ill-fated, attempts to curb the power of Ticketmaster a few years ago.

Clear Channel is not just a music industry behemoth, it's also a company which proudly represents the very antithesis of what Bono and the band claim to be about.

In the early 1990s, Clear Channel owned 500 radio stations across America. Since then, it has acquired 1,500 stations in America, with more in Europe, and anyone working for it had better conform to the ideas and rules espoused by its overtly Republican leadership.

In 1992, for instance, Clear Channel paid for billboards throughout Florida boasting a picture of George W Bush with the slogan "Our Leader" under his face.

As one local Florida politician commented at the time: "The first thing I thought was, when was the last time I have seen a president on a billboard? Didn't Saddam Hussein have his picture up everywhere? What next, a statue?"

The company first came to European prominence in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, when it issued a list of more than 150 songs which were banned across its empire. Management subsequently sacked several DJs who played prohibited tracks.

Songs such as Walk Like An Egyptian and, incredibly, What A Wonderful World were banned, although Killing An Arab by The Cure wasn't mentioned.

Many Americans frustrated by the increasing stranglehold Clear Channel has over both radio and live music might be forgiven for thinking that Bono's time would be better spent trying to wrestle with that corporation rather than posing for photographs with European foreign ministers.

But it's not just Bono who has made strange bedfellows with the corporation - it is also staging the Live8 show in Hyde Park next month.

In a depressing sign of the times, Clear Channel has decreed that the best vantage points in Hyde Park will now be taken up by 15,000 "Gold Circle" corporate guests, while people who actually pay for their ticket will be left languishing in the poorest vantage points.

In what could be an interesting insight into the real control - or, rather, lack of real control - Bob Geldof actually has over the event, he is believed to have expressed concern that the television cameras will focus on what he refers to as: "the quail's eggs and champagne brigade". He may be uncomfortable with it, but there doesn't seem to be a lot he can do.

So while Bono and Bob flounce around the world, lecturing foreign leaders and the rest of us about what to do, perhaps they should try and sort out who they do business with first, before wagging their jewel-encrusted fingers at us the next time.

:rolleyes:

Besides, I thought Live 8 tickets were "free" (text lottery thing)

Bono has made it clear that he can't fight EVERY fight effectively... In the grand scheme of things, fighting for a whole continent's survival vs. fighting an entertainment giant seems like a pretty easy decision to me :rolleyes:

Easy with the eye rolls - you'll develop a squint. ;)

Miroslava: Besides, I thought Live 8 tickets were "free" (text lottery thing)
It is but not totally. Believe me the money men will have their seats without having to text anyone. And the best damn seats and food money can buy. Oh the irony.

Bono has made it clear that he can't fight EVERY fight effectively... In the grand scheme of things, fighting for a whole continent's survival vs. fighting an entertainment giant seems like a pretty easy decision to me
But he opens himself up to many many accusations of hypocrisy. Microsoft? Clear Channel? I just think it weakens his influence. Then again I don't normally care to listen to pop/rock stars preaching politics. Which makes live difficult as a U2 fan. :)

Well, I guess it doesnt bother me because Bono is the first to point out the many juxtapositions that is his life and how ridiculous his behavior may seem from the outside considering other aspects of his life. The bottom line for me is that he does more than mosts, and anyone that expects him to live a monastic life is just a foo' :rolleyes:

And I roll my eyes this often in real life too :wink:

isabelle_guns said:
there is too many politics in music and that is the sad thing really but we all know what bono stands for.

i have no problem with any contradictions in his politics. he doesn't see issues as black and white, and that leads to all kinds of ways for people to turn his words against him from one policy to the next. his politics are more about love and compassion than anything else.

but honestly, i felt the most hypocritical thing he did this year was at the hall of fame lecturing the music business on changing the way they do business. the biggest problem with the music business, and why young bands don't get a chance to develop, is because clear channel controls the radio. yet u2 does business with clear channel.

another threat to young bands is that major retail chains do the majority of the cd sales, and do not carry a lot of independent artists. yet u2, during elevation, chose to do an exclusive with target and a semi-exclusive with best buy.

i love bono, but there are tons of contradictions in his actions and words. that's why they call him bono.

I agree w/ Miro and also, what's the big deal w/ Clear Channel anway? Sure, they're a huge corporation, but....so what. As far as that article is concerned, they're legitimate. It's not like Clear Channel is against African aid or something. I've never liked Clear Channel b/c of its monopoly over radio, but I since I don't own a car or stereo, I haven't listened to the radio in years and really don't care all that much anymore. Now there's satellite radio anyway. I'm not seeing why Clear Channel is the "antithesis" of everything Bono stands for....

:combust: :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust: :combust:

"Bono's people would be quick to point out that you have to deal with the biggest when your own tour is that big, and music fans will remember with a wince Eddie Vedder's brave, if ill-fated, attempts to curb the power of Ticketmaster a few years ago. "

so in order to continue to to tour at the level they do and subsequently support thier humanitarian (the word i would sub for political) goals, they dance with the devil in the pale moonlight,but that does not mean they bed him...to me the philosophical anaylisis would indicate that the "ends justify the Means"

What is the beef with Microsoft? Perhaps I missed something, but Bill Gates has donated over a billion dollars of his own money to many of the same general causes that Bono fronts...I am a mac fan by the way...but my only observation is that just because they are big business doesn't necessarily make them the anti-christ. It does, however, in Clear Channel's case. :silent:

I think that Bono probably realises, or at least accepts, that sometimes you have to 'get into bed' with the devil to get things done.

He may not agree with their policies, but he got into the Whitehouse and 10 Downing Street and made himself heard by the leaders of nations. If glad-handing a few politicians can change the world, then maybe dirty hands is a small price to pay.

As for Clear Channel, they are just one of a few corporate giants who unfortunately, are calling some of the shots on the planet. Who hasn't bought Coca-Cola, subscribed to Sky Satellite or wears Levi denims? When we buy products from the supermarket, are we buying the "fair deal" products, designed to assist the 3rd world producers?

Can those who don't like the fact that CC are heavily involved in Vertigo 05/06, say they haven't also bought into other similar organisations?

Just a thought.

this is very interesting...
too bad about the Live8 GoldCircle thing, really.
Yes, to me it is a depressing sign of the times too.
I don't really know what to make of the U2 association with ClearChannel, don't know what their alternatives were. What could they have done? Had they real other options but to work with that behemoth? I just don't know enough..

But that's the sucky thing about media giants, that you might be in a spot where you have no choice. And that's also scary and majorly problematic, because then they can bully their agenda on everyone in a big big way. They can suppress free expression thusly, and creativity finding new audiences, and *that* I take it is the argument folks are making about ClearChannel. Propaganda machines bleeping out offensive words and blatantly creating little exclusive corporate clubs seems pretty anti-thetical to some apparent ideals espoused by the band to me...

But I also see how it would be hard to fight the pragmatically focused kind of fight bono seems to be engaged in while ...in an obvious way anyhow..also going after the good ol boys who hold all the power.
Maybe next battle he can come up with some good angles on how dangerous and wrong it is for government to let corporations run wild, accountable to nobody. Tricky in this current climate because if you don't spew the freemarket mantra then you get labeled a commie by the hounds of the allegedly 'fair and balanced' press, in the US at least.

cheers all...

stevec said:
I think that Bono probably realises, or at least accepts, that sometimes you have to 'get into bed' with the devil to get things done.

He may not agree with their policies, but he got into the Whitehouse and 10 Downing Street and made himself heard by the leaders of nations. If glad-handing a few politicians can change the world, then maybe dirty hands is a small price to pay.

As for Clear Channel, they are just one of a few corporate giants who unfortunately, are calling some of the shots on the planet. Who hasn't bought Coca-Cola, subscribed to Sky Satellite or wears Levi denims? When we buy products from the supermarket, are we buying the "fair deal" products, designed to assist the 3rd world producers?

Can those who don't like the fact that CC are heavily involved in Vertigo 05/06, say they haven't also bought into other similar organisations?

Yes, thanks for your post, well written.

My basic point is if these capitalists are not even indirectly supporting any genocide campaings then as you saisd so well,

"If glad-handing a few politicians can change the world, then maybe dirty hands is a small price to pay."

:p

Mo_Smyth said:

In 1992, for instance, Clear Channel paid for billboards throughout Florida boasting a picture of George W Bush with the slogan "Our Leader" under his face.

The interesting thing about this is that George W Bush wasn't elected President until 2000, 8 years later...so either Clear Channel is quite the fortune teller, or the Belfast Telegraph needs to pay more attention to cetrain (H) details.

Back
Top Bottom