Tour Expectations??????????????????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not to sure about all these covers everyone is talking about. I can see U2 doing one cover, but if I was to pay good money I would rather hear U2 do U2 songs.

As for the tour. I'm really hoping they do something spetacular like ZooTV or Popmart. I think U2 is the only BAND in the world who can do a huge stadium tour anymore. U2 should take on the challenge and do a huge tour for the fans. Since they didn't tour the entire world last tour I would think they will see South America, Australlia, Japan, etc.

As for music on the tour. #1, I want to hear the new stuff. I think U2 is the only band where their fans and casual fans enjoy hearing new material in concert. Since Bono is always talking about rock n roll, I can see U2's rock tunes becoming staples on this tour. As for old gems I really hope they play some early stuff like Electric Co., Twilight, Gloria. When all said is done we'll have a new album and a new tour to enjoy. :ohmy:

My guess would be more like the Elevation tour with maybe a little more high tech involved. I think the band really enjoyed this more. I don't think we'll ever see anything remotely like ZooTV or PopMart again. They know after the success of Elevation that they don't need the huge spectacle surrounding them. As far as songs, I think someone mentioned not to play "Last Night on Earth" again. It's not my favorite U2 song but would just like to say that the only time I ever heard this live was during PopMart. This song wasn't played once during Elevation, at least to my recollection. It will be interesting tho, outside of the rest of the setup, to see what the stage itself will look like. They always have an extension going into the audience. With ZooTV it was the walkway going straight out, with Pop it was that curved walkway with a circle, and Elevation with the heart. Of course I liked the heart the best but they wouldn't repeat that.

i mention the covers because u2 is a band that likes to have a little fun on stage, mixing it up a bit but throwing something in just so they dont get to caught up in themselves. take a look at popmart and elevation, hell any tour. 'whats goin on', 'sexual healing' as part of mysterious ways, marley's 'stand up for your rights' in sunday bloody sunday (dont know official title) all nice additions to the show

theyve played a ton of covers, even if they are snippets. i find it hard now to speculate about their new songs and how theyll fit in, so the covers are my next best bet.

Personally, I'm kind of tired of Bullet... live. Haven't they included it in every set list since JT (or does it just feel like that)? Mind you, I don't hate it but I'd love to see it replaced with something new (although with the war going on, it's pretty timely so not likely that it's going away).

i like how the band updates bullet, if not with a new sound then with bono's ranting. thinking about how long its been on the setlist does kinda make the song unwanted, but you know theyll do something with it to rip the crowd to shreds this tour.

Would be dreamlike if they played Ultraviolet and Promenade. Love to hear Exit too. I just expect that they come here actually (Sweden), then anything goes.

On one hand I have a feeling they will be coming to stadiums again, on the other I'm thinking about that Larry quote about "less in quantity, more in quality" on their future touring and how much they enjoyed the last tour.

Maybe they will stick to arenas? I think Australia will see them again, not sure about S. America and Asia.

As for the songs, I'm hoping for Running to stand still to come back and I'm curious how Electrical storm will do live. If the tour wil be a mix of hits, 90's songs and some oldies like Elevation was, that would be nice.

MoFo, you're right.

They'll likely update it (considering the state of the world right now) in a way that makes it new and up to date. The John Lennon/Mark Chapman slant they added during Elevation was just creepy to me (not sure they did that at every show but I saw it at all of the ones I went to). I'm kinda superstitious so it always made me feel a bit uncomfortable (but maybe that was the intention).

mofo82 said:
btw, wanderer would be a great song to preceed streets, with bono wailing at the end of wanderer then continuing that into the intro for streets.

Imagine the concert goes on without Streets... The Wanderer ala Satellite of Love is the last song... and Bono says it is... Edge, Adam and Larry leave the stage and all is left is Bono with a TV screen behind him... The Wanderer goes on in a kinda electronic way (just the song though the PA)

id love to see the band closing out the show with 'the wanderer',possibly bono dueting with cash similar to 'satellite of love' where lou reed was up above on the screen. im seeing giant big screen behind the band with sun setting on a desert or city skyline (skyline would fit the song better) giving the stage a feel like the opening of streets on lovetown tour (R&H)

that way, Bono leaves, The Wanderer ends... but not all together... it continues extending that last note and turning it slowly into Streets, that comes out of nowhere, with all 4 members coming back to the stage kicking it hard for the final song of the show...

Great, isn't?

Of course, they should put the set list on view for all to see that there's no Streets, that way seeing it as a treat for all.

:drool:

well... that or the comeback of the ultimate combo:

DESIRE / ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER

double :drool:

Last edited:
pepokiss...that was an awesome scenario. the johnny cash factor gives me hope that the song will actually make this tour at some point. the wanderer is their song anyway so i wouldnt consider it in any way a cover. itd be great (and extremely creepy) if there was video of cash singing the song back from the time it was recorded that could be played while the band does their thing on stage.

for now its too difficult to know the bands current ideologies and putting a theme to a tour that doesnt even have an album yet is nearly impossible. I Do believe its possible to dream up some big scenarios like the wanderer/ streets combo and that they carry some believability.

just off the top of my head id like to hear 'dirty day' followed by 'beautiful day'. id love if the shows hit highs and lows non stop. i think of how fun zoo tv was then in an instant, everything changed and got heavy. 'dirty day' into 'bullet' with the cross on fire mutating into a crucifix was jawdropping when i first saw it. that kinda shock makes it all that more exciting and gives thier shows that added edge (no pun intended). the show becomes a statement rather than a greatest hits review. it seems the world is always in flux and on edge. itd be sweet to capture the anxieties of the masses in the tour.

i'll stop here :wink:

OzAurora said:
My only expectation or rather HOPE, is that they at least make it to Australia- anything else, will be a bonus.

My thoughts precisely. Just replace Australia for Brasil ;) Thinking better, not replace but add "and Brasil" :yes:

Cheers
MT

-The band has such an extensive catalog of songs, I really dont want to hear ANY covers unless their snippets like "Can't help falling in love." Play u2 songs.
-I wonder which songs from ATYCLB they will play on a regular basis??
-They like to have pretty concert setlists on their tours, but I think they should play at least ONE rare song a night. Some of my top choice: (Electric Co, Exit, Running to Stand Still).
-I would like Acrobat like everyone else, but thats not gonna happen. They didnt even play it on the ZooTV Tour (but we can wish)
-Stop playing BTBS every night!

Back
Top Bottom