So what's this whole deal about the sound?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikal

Blue Crack Addict
i've been reading a lot of reviews of this tour so far(i'm seeing them in Chicago, myself), and it seems that one consistent complaint i keep seeing is that "the sound sucked".

a couple questions i have about this:

What exactly sucks about the sound?

Does it have to do with wear you're standing in the arena?

Is this just a classic case of a couple fans that will bitch no matter what, just doing their thing?

Well, I saw LA1 and LA2. The first show the sound problems were that Bono's vocal could barely be heard; especially during the new songs. He was ofetn drowned out when the band was really cranking. For ex. when the band came out top LAPOE, the first line "Lay down your weapons..." was not audibl;e at alll." Or when in COBL when the song kicks in, "Time..." you could not hear that either.

I asked the people sitting around me and they noticed the same thinbg--don't think it had to do with where I was sitting (next to tip of ellipse 10 rows up) because I sat in the exact sme place for Elevation and the sound was incredible for all three of those shows that I saw at Staples.

The second night, it was much much bettter, but still at times the vocal mix was being drowned out by the band.

As far as overall sound quality--I thought it did sound good though--not sure what others are citing as bad sound, but that was my experience.

Last edited:
last night in Denver, all of the instruments were very balanced, but Bono's voice was almost completely drowned out. Also, the synths on SYCMIOYO drowned out that cool guitar line that Edge does during the chorus.

I do think a lot may have to do with where you are sitting (although, really this shouldn't happen). In Anaheim2 I was in the nosebleeds, directly across from the stage (up from the soundboard area) and the sound was great, never a probelm hearing Bono at all.

In Phoenix2, we were 5 rows up from the stage, right where the elipse curves (does this make sense? -we were very close), and the first few songs did have a bit of a balance problem it seemed - somethimes we couldn't hear Bono as clearly. BUt they did seem to correct it within 2 songs, and then everything was fine.

And hey, good sound, bad sound, it all sounds great when you are rocking out at a U2 concert!:)

I've noticed that it's hard to hear Bono sometimes. Is this his fault rather than something in the mix? Isn't this a technique of his? Especially when he's going for some high notes, he'll back the microphone away from him until he's hit the note, then he'll bring it back towards him. For example, at the start of Streets on this tour.

The sound in Denver was horrid. It sounded like they just cranked everything up to 10 except for Bono's mic. My left ear is still ringing. I sat in about the same spot for the previous tour and the sound was crystal clear. Either they got a new sound man (who should be fired) or the sound man lost most of his hearing. Except for the sound and the warmup act it was a great show!

The 9 shows I've been to have sounded great, but I've been on the floor every night. I do recall Bono's mic being low on some songs, but generally not the entire show.

I've been listening to a couple old JT boots and it's amazing how Bono's voice was the major sound of those early shows (at least equal with Edge's guitar...) Maybe they're just trying to help him out, but are going a bit overboard?

Back
Top Bottom