seats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe the only way to have the insanity end is to have seats and no GA. Yes, I will get blasted for this but, I have seen Pearl Jam a few times and they do this. They go by year of membership in the fan club. For U2, they should go back to the earliest members of Propaganda, whom are still in the fan club and work their way up. When you get your tickets at a PJ show, there are several things you do. Actually Larry Mullen mentioned this when the whole ticket scandal was happening when fans didn't get tickets.
1. You have to pick up your tickets at the box office the day of the show and show your ID. No one else may pick up your tickets. They actually have tables set up for this and it runs smoothly. This makes scalping almost nil.
2. They actually have sections of seats reserved for the fan club. The section closest to the stage is for the longest members of the fan club. These seats are distributed on a first come first serve basis the day of the show. If you get there early, you can have front row, but even if you get their at 3:00 p.m. you are still in a kick ass section. There are more sections in the front reserved to the sides and second sections. These are for members who joined later.....like myself and my husband.
3. People were incredibly cool and there were not people doing things beyond what they would normally humanly do to ensure Eddie eye contact.
The crowds have immense energy and there is never a dull moment.
4. No one pushes their way to the front, although I have seen dudes standing along the stage who are in the front row.
5. People ususally hang out, tail-gate, relax and have fun. There is no competition, saving spots, cutting, or line leaders. It gets rid of all of that. Actually makes for a great time and not plotting and planning. You can sleep in and be rested.
Although, I think U2 have spoiled their fans a bit by GA and the possibility of intimate contact.
If they did GA next time, I will try incredibly hard to get really good seats, although I know that is hard with scalpers and all. If U2 made all ticket holders pick up tickets at the venue, the day of the show....this would almost end. It can be done because I have seen it. I am getting too old for the all night gig. Plus I do not like to leave my kids for that long...hence me only going to 3 cities this tour.
I think U2 should talk to Eddie Vedder.
Sorry, most of you won't like it, but I think you might like it after you have seen it done. I think it is nice to share that opportunity for people maybe only attending the show in their city. With U2, you have people flying in from all over the country and some of these long time fans never have a chance. I love it when someone is up there in front for the first time. I love seeing them happy and the look in their eyes. The lottery didn't work. It made people find ways to "work the system"....... ets?
UF

I like parts of that idea - especially the Will Call for ALL tickets. The thing I don't like is giving members priority based on a time legnth. How can you judge fandom based on time? I haven't been a fan of U2 since the early 80s b/c.....well I wasn't born yet! But I know someone who HAS been a fan since then, even went to shows in 1981, but she considers herself more of a casual fan. So, she would get front row seats and I'd get stuck at the back; I'd really want to be up front and she couldn't care less where she is.

I have to say, even though the lottery system was annoying, it really didn't take anything away from my three GA shows. I did seven altogether and the last two were GA, front row--now I have the unfortunate feeling that I'll never be satisfied with seats again. :wink: Maybe it's a good thing that I'll be in college next time they tour and won't have ANY money... :sad:

fan tickets

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I like parts of that idea - especially the Will Call for ALL tickets. The thing I don't like is giving members priority based on a time legnth. How can you judge fandom based on time? I haven't been a fan of U2 since the early 80s b/c.....well I wasn't born yet! But I know someone who HAS been a fan since then, even went to shows in 1981, but she considers herself more of a casual fan. So, she would get front row seats and I'd get stuck at the back; I'd really want to be up front and she couldn't care less where she is.

Actually, I have been a fan since 80 as well, but I didn't join Propaganda until much, much later. I don't know exactly how the system might work, but I do agree with you.....a great and loyal fan and the biggest fan, might be someone who just currently started listening to U2. In order to keep the energy alive, I do agree that you would probably want to keep the die-hards happy. I think that the system could be fixed to be more fair to many people who would never get the chance to be up front for whatever reason. I would surely draw energy off of watching their excitement of being front and center. I do think that you must certainly keep your most loyal fans happy....But, I do talk to many, many people who are insanely loyal and big fans who don't know what interference is, could care less, don't know what Zootopians are, could care less.....I actually admire those people for just staying with the music and not getting caught up in all of the side drift.
Soooo, I don't know. Maybe the genius management will figure it out or maybe they like it the way it is.
Either way, I will be listening.
UF

I don't see what the problem is with seats myself, the very first U2 concert I saw (and actually most of the concerts I saw in the 80's) were numbered seating (I got second row centre :drool: ) I don't think the atmosphere of the crowd suffered at all. And some of us believe it or not don't like getting squashed, elbowed, stepped on, have beer spilt on us and all the stuff we're supposed to endure for our $99.

But I suppose someone will come on and post that if I'm such an old fogy I should go get seats up in the stands and leave down the front for the young and nubile. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom