Pass up ellipse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonosloveslave

Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Staff member
Someone can yell at me if this has been posted before - yes I'm a mod but don't read every single thread in here ;)

I've heard the debates on whether being in the ellipse is better than being on the outside rail. I think if I get beeped for the ellipse I would go in for the experience, but if it happened a second time I may not be so pumped for it. Has anyone done that, pass up an ellipse opportunity? Do you just say 'no thanks' and go to the floor? Or can you pass your 'winnings' onto some one else in line?

Wow, why would anyone pass up being in the ellipse? It was absolutely amazing both times I was in and normally far closer to the band than you'd be outside.

I guess this is assuming you are one of the first in line and you have the choice between dead-center outside rail or dead center inside ellipse rail? Maybe no one has passed up the chance - but I wonder if you swap tickets with someone else and let them go in? Or would it be better to take the ellipse wristband in case you change your mind and want to go in the ellipse, say if the pushing outside was too much?

I passed up the chance of going into the ellipse...and probably would again. I was lucky enough to experience it twice before and the third time I wanted to see what it was like on the rail. We were in the front row and I really didn't notice too much pushing.

I would pass it up ONLY if I could see I was guaranteed the spot I wanted on the outside rail and ONLY if I'd already had a killer time inside the ellipse at least once.

The outside rail is pretty sweet, but even w/ something to lean on there's SO much pressure coming from all the people behind you and there's NO space to move.

I really want to get in the ellipse once, even if I'm not right in front and have to look over some heads. I just want to be able to move and breathe and relax a bit! So Beth, if you're passing, we can swap tix!

Do not pass it up under any circumstances except for the threat of death.

The outside rail is NOT worth it at all. The back of the elipse is actually my favourite spot (although the front row is good too). You get to move around, you get to dance, see the entire lights show, and you're so close.

The outside rail, IMO, isn't worth it almost at all. The pushing by the 79 girls who are all under the impression Bono will dance from them is ridiculous. You cannot leave to go to the bathroom in the middle of the show, you cannot dance, you can barely even jump down. You're a sardine in a tin can. It's the most overrated spot in the arena, IMO.

I have actually voluntarily abandoned a RAIL (front row) spot on the outside in favour of the soundboard, believe it or not.

anitram said:
Do not pass it up under any circumstances except for the threat of death.

The outside rail is NOT worth it at all. The back of the elipse is actually my favourite spot (although the front row is good too). You get to move around, you get to dance, see the entire lights show, and you're so close.

The outside rail, IMO, isn't worth it almost at all. The pushing by the 79 girls who are all under the impression Bono will dance from them is ridiculous. You cannot leave to go to the bathroom in the middle of the show, you cannot dance, you can barely even jump down. You're a sardine in a tin can. It's the most overrated spot in the arena, IMO.

I have actually voluntarily abandoned a RAIL (front row) spot on the outside in favour of the soundboard, believe it or not.

I completely disagree with you. I think the rail outside the ellipse is the best spot in the house, and I never felt pushed. I was there last night and tonight and jumped and dance as much as I wanted. You were probably very unlucky last night with the girls behind you.

I wouldn't pass up the ellipse for it, because it also has many advantage, but I think it's as good as being inside, if not better. It really depends what you are looking for. To each his own I guess...

Btw this is Elise, we met yesterday in the GA line.:wave:

Hi, hi! Hope you had a fabulous time tonight!

I don't know, I feel very restricted and claustrophobic on the rail. I guess it worked out for me that I moved back and got an elipse pass anyway.

But from my experience, the rail isn't worth lining up. I like to have more room to move around (which you have in the elipse and in the back of the floor). BTW, the sound is fantastic by the soundboard, so crisp and clear compared to in the elipse, I was pretty surprised at the difference!

I had an awesome time! Something really special happened to Miroslava (we were together again) tonight, but I think I should let her share her story with Interference herself...

Yeah, if you're claustrophobic I guess the outside rail is not the best. And it's great to be to the back of the ellipse because of the space. But you have to win the lottery, which I have only once in 7 GA shows. It's true the sound is good at the back of the floor, but the one show I was there I thought it was no nearly the same as being close, and took away a lot of the experience for me, so I'd rather not risk it anymore if I have the option of lining-up.

bonosloveslave said:
Someone can yell at me if this has been posted before - yes I'm a mod but don't read every single thread in here ;)

I've heard the debates on whether being in the ellipse is better than being on the outside rail. I think if I get beeped for the ellipse I would go in for the experience, but if it happened a second time I may not be so pumped for it. Has anyone done that, pass up an ellipse opportunity? Do you just say 'no thanks' and go to the floor? Or can you pass your 'winnings' onto some one else in line?

Passing up the elipse would be the stupidest thing ever. First off all no matter what, you'll be closer than all the people on the outside of the elipse. Secondly inside you get to move about at your own free will without the worry of losing your spot. Inside the elipse there are no spots save for maybe the first 3 rows. Other than that people move about to get pictures and jump up and down and dance and what not. If you're on the outside I can gaurentee you that people will always be fighting to keep there spot as they won't want to be squished out towards the back. There are alot of people inside the elipse but it's not crowded. Also being inside the elipse if by some freak chance you have to make an emergency dash to the bathroom or to get some "pop" you can leave and when you come back you're essentially in the same spot as you were when you left. PLus being inside the elipse is a better story to tell your freinds. No I don't even understand why this is up for debate. Inside the elipse rules outside the elipse just isn't as good no matter how anyone who's been on the outside trys to justify it.

Last edited:
My wife and I got scanned into the ellipse for TO 1 and followed the advice of a poster in this forum to go for the back. We did, got a spot on the back rail towards Edge's side, and in all honesty I believe this was the best spot in the house. There was never anyone standing infront of us, we got a full view of the stage and were still very close, and numerous times through the night Bono and/or the Edge were on the catwalk at our exact spot (once I even ducked into Bono's shadow to avoid the glare of the spotlight... I never noticed before that Bono is really balding). In addition to having an outstanding view of the action and being, you can come and go as you please before the show (people around were very respectful of your claim to your spot), no pushing or elbows in your back, and if you got a bit tired you could lean back against the rail and relax for a moment.

The other thing I liked about the ellipse is that you really felt like the crowd in there was all there was. I know its becoming cliche to say this, but it really did feel like a club show in there. I wish I could watch every concert that way. And by the time we'd gotten there, there were no good spots outside the ellipse anymore.

-Tim

For those of you who have gotten into the elipse 2 or more times, how many shows did you go to? I'm going to 4 shows this tour and I'm praying for once in the elipse...

I got into the elipse during Elevation tour. I was one of the first people in, got my rail position, and kept it most of the show. Towards the end I got brave and made my way to the front of the stage (it wasnt easy!) but I was standing right smack under Bono and the mike when he sang One. I told everyone that I got sweat drops on me. Hoping against hope to again get inside in Pittsburgh - or at the least get a good rail spot outside.

i was in the front row at Anaheim 2, in front of Bono inside the ellipse. Honestly. There is no better place in the entire arena. I was very blessed to have it happen once.

But if I got beeped another time, I would do it again!

Definitely DON'T Pass up the ellipse if given the chance!!

I've been in once before and think I'd pass it up in November because he doesn't bring a girl up to dance who is on the inside......:( and I'll be there so early that I know I'll be first on the outside rail.

Yes I know I'm a :reject:

I got into the ellipse for TO1 very early (#113). I had the advantage of being able to pick between: two very tall guys who stated there was NO WAY they'd let two short "pretty" women in front of them. They might bend down for a couple of seconds here/there. AND, the back rail right at the tip in front of Larry's drum for LPOE. Easy pick!!!

My friend and I lost out on Larry's drumstick when the guy next to us wrestled my friend, nearly to the ground for it during SBS. She relinquished it due to the spirit of the song. The tech had nicely handed it to us.

I was thrilled with our spot. We could dance, see Bono's greying beard, notice how absolutely tiny Larry is...I would say it's very intimate. I kept wanting Bono to turn around though when he was picking the dance "hug" girl for WOWY and see that I was wearing an Edun shirt!!!

I don't think I'd decline the ellipse experience...it's random...it's fate!

I got squished on the rail in NJ...had to leave....

But I ended up there for the 2 Boston shows that I had GA to, cuz I didn't get in the ellipse. The other shows I didn't get squished, we were w/ more friends so maybe that's why. Plus NJ was very stifling hot, even Bono mentioned it. But if I had my choice, I'd be inside. But if you wanna give the ellipse entry to me then I say go for it! :up: ;)

:wave:

I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I started this thread -

Chicago Sept 20th was my first Vertigo show, we were the 2nd couple buzzed in the ellipse. NOOOOOOOOO complaints here about front row center - other than not getting an official dance :grumpy:

Yeah, don't pass up the Ellipse. I was a hair to the left of dead center on on the outside rail 9/20, and dead center in front of Bono's mic, on the rail, in the Ellipse on 9/21, and while both nights were amazing, being closer was definitely better...

oktobergirl said:
i was in the front row at Anaheim 2, in front of Bono inside the ellipse. Honestly. There is no better place in the entire arena. I was very blessed to have it happen once.

But if I got beeped another time, I would do it again!

Definitely DON'T Pass up the ellipse if given the chance!!

ditto.

You only live once. If you're given this golden opportunity, DO NOT PASS IT UP. You will always wonder.. 'what if'.

I got in my first time and it's something I wouldn't trade for the world. I had front row in front of Edge. :combust:

I had front row rail for the Chicago show this past week and it was in some ways better, some ways not, because all four of them were out there and up close at one point and Bono spent a lot of time out there. Also, there's the whole LAPOE part. :larry: :drool:

That said, I want in again for one of my remaining shows. :shh:

if i was only going to one show, and i could pick any spot on the floor, i would pick along the rail outside the tip

Never pass up the ellipse. If you are worried about the crowding, you can always move to the back of the ellipse.

I was on the rail in front of Edge for LA1. Had plenty of room for dancing and having the best time of my life.

Chizip said:
if i was only going to one show, and i could pick any spot on the floor, i would pick along the rail outside the tip
:yes: The show is AMAZING from that point.

I've had 3 GA's and I hope I have 3 remaining, and I'd just like to get in ONCE.

On the other hand, if I get GA's for December 4 in Boston, I probably won't be able to get there until after 6:30...does anyone know what the party in the back of the floor is like? I've been up close three times and I'm actually looking forward to dancing in the back, if my plans go through!

bonosloveslave said:
I don't know what the heck I was thinking when I started this thread -

Chicago Sept 20th was my first Vertigo show, we were the 2nd couple buzzed in the ellipse. NOOOOOOOOO complaints here about front row center - other than not getting an official dance :grumpy :

i got in on my 1st vertigo show aswell .......and my 2nd and 3rd :drool: :drool:

i might have lousy luck meeting Bono :sad: but it seems the ellipse was lucky for me in Toronto 4 and Chicago 1 and 2 in Sept :hyper:

you must have been stood a few people down from me , i was front row centre between bono and adam on the 20th with WildHoney, next to Miroslava

i hope i get so lucky in Boston :hyper: :drool:

Last edited:
Chizip said:

I'm inclined to agree, but I wouldn't really know b/c YOU'RE always in that spot! :mad:

Only had tickets for one show on this tour. 10/10 @ MSG. Got into the ellipse. Right at the bono center of the stage. Amazing. I was in shock for the first 5 songs. I repeatedly looked at my girlfriend with my jaw wide open.

My rail-squish strategy was to lock my arms out in front of me; the pushing wasn't strong enough to bend locked elbows. And I'm no Adonis.

If you get in, go.

Back
Top Bottom