Original "Edge" for Vertigo Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
A friend and I have been discussing the dark & eerie aspects of this tour. The discussion first came about when he thought that An Cat Dubh on the Chicago DVD is pretty chilling. I think the darkness is best emphasized in the eerie BTBS performance, and that the tour was originally going to have more of an 'edge' to it. Here's what I wrote my friend....I'd love to hear what y'all think:

<<<I definitely agree that the feel on the Vertigo Tour is much different than the last tour. The Africa/savetheworld/good feeling stuff can overpower the darker stuff, but if you really look at it, you can see that the darker edge stands out. The blindfold/on-the-knees-with-hands-in-the-air part in Bullet is the best example. The feel wasn't as strong from our seats the second night as it was the first night on the floor looking straight on, plus I think he sang less of the "Johnny comes marching home again, hoorah, hoorah" part than the did the first night. But that whole portion on the first night we saw them was chillingly eerie----he really sang the "Johnny comes marching home again, hoorah, hoorah" part in this eerie voice, and he really dramatized the on the knees part and the blind walking to the microphone. The picture of that for the cover of the Chicago DVD is a strong, almost chilling image if you look at it long enough. I really believe that this tour & this album were meant to be much darker, but then the G8 & Live8 stuff came in. Some of the reviews for the album talked about how ATYCLB was a renewal of innocence, while HTDAAB is like looking back on the age of innocence now with an older, experienced, almost sad viewpoint. Their attempt to emphasize that on tour is evidenced by the resurgence of the Boy songs. I think that starting off the shows with the Boy songs and then building up to their rage songs--LAPOE, SBS, BTBS--and adding the "this is your song now" preface to SBS and the blindfold part to BTBS, it's kind of like they're making a "there once was innocence, but now the world is changed" statement. It's also interesting to point out which Boy songs they've been doing----not counting Out of Control (which they did last tour) and I Will Follow (the two pretty innocent songs), they've got An Cat Dubh--a fairly dark song--and Electric Co., another dark song, especially when Bono adds in the "people I don't know are trying to kill me" part. I've been fascinated all along with the t-shirts they've had on u2.com since the album came out. One says "We win, we lose, it's perfect." Another says something like "All war is based on deception." One has a bunch of bombs on it (though that fits with the album title). And the craziest one is this skewed picture of this demon-dog head that says "Fear the Enemy," with "Enemy" capitalized. Crazy shit! I really do believe that there was a much darker political, philosophical edge designed for this tour, but that Edge's kid's illness & G8/Live8 put a damper on it. I have a feeling that we may see an edgier, darker album with the next one they put out, depending on what happens in the band's lives between now and then.

There's definitely some really dark and creepy stuff in the bonus book that came with the special edition of the album :yikes:

U2Man said:
There's definitely some really dark and creepy stuff in the bonus book that came with the special edition of the album :yikes:

I didn't get the special edition....What sort of creepy stuff is in the book?

pepokiss said:
it took me a lot of reading to realice that this wasn't about The Edge... :|

sorry, dude. thought I cleared that up with the quotes around "edge" and with the intro paragraph..and then the rest of the post... :shrug: just a pun.

I've wondered why the choice of the red and black which has become the scheme for Vertigo.....the target....the bomb....and yes the books that have accompanied the deluxe HTDAAB cd in its release a year ago as well as the bonus cd and book with the deluxe Chicago LIVE dvd was similar in the free hand, open free your mind kind of way, a lot of free hand sketches, somewhat dark lyric bits and thoughts....I definitely think the band's minds are or were in a different place at the beginning of the tour. I'm not so sure they are all in that same place as the tour has progressed, but it will indeed be interesting to see what the next cd and tour will be. All their tours have seemed different. What's next for U2? This tour has been shadowed by Edge's family illness, Bono's father's passing.....but now Adam is about to become a father....Edge and Bono's oldest are near college age and who knows those guys could be grandfathers by the time the next cd comes out.....a new age for them indeed!

Carek1230 said:
but now Adam is about to become a father....

really? :|.... who's the mother? :eyebrow:

Edge and Bono's oldest are near college age and who knows those guys could be grandfathers by the time the next cd comes out.....a new age for them indeed!

well... I voluntee to be a son-in-law :wink:

pepokiss said:
it took me a lot of reading to realice that this wasn't about The Edge... :|

Me too! I was sad. Boohoo! I actually don't think I like the dark stuff much tho. I miss the happy, bright Slane DVD. Cept Bono has nicer shades now andADAM IS SO HYPERACTIVE ON STAGE!!!!!!

Oh for fucks sake, stop speading crap. Adam is not f=going to be a dad anytime soon. I have a feeling he's not with Suzie Smith anymore. He's Caddagh ring is turned out?

p.s: the Adam-daddy thing belongs in PLEBA fan fict. Idea from me, go check it out

Carek1230 said:
I've wondered why the choice of the red and black which has become the scheme for Vertigo

I think it was the Rolling Stone interview (though I may be wrong) where Bono said they went with Black, White & Red in their early photo shoots because the are "the colors of rock 'n' roll," and that they've kept those colors (at least b&w, if not red) for most of their albums.

My heart just leaped five feet - I've read on a post a while ago that Adam's girlfriend is pregnant - why must these stories continue :scream: Is it true or not? I've noticed the ring turned out also.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom