OOTS in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

finnsmith

The Fly
It is maybe my favourite from the Chicago DVD. No effects, no nothing, except the four of them. Edge isn't playing guitar, neither. And sounds really great. I've said they should do something like this for ages (since Pop, or even before). Would they have the guts to do a whole tour just like this? all songs arranged for piano, and maybe bono on guitar? No effects, no big blinding show, just them. What do you think?

I think it's nice to see U2 with a different song arrangement for once :up:

Varying their arrangements is definitely not their strong side, usually.

U2Man said:
I think it's nice to see U2 with a different song arrangement for once :up:

To choose a not so popular track from HTDAAB I would have prefered something like crumbs from your table to be played live instead. I didnt get to see it at the gig I went to in London, but I just love the song, i think its quite a lot better than OOTS.

edmerch1984 said:

To choose a not so popular track from HTDAAB I would have prefered something like crumbs from your table to be played live instead. I didnt get to see it at the gig I went to in London, but I just love the song, i think its quite a lot better than OOTS.

Definitely, Crumbs is much better than OOTS, but i was thinking mostly in old songs. EBTTRT sounds so good with that arrangement in my head...
Talking about this reminds me of When love comes to town during ZooTv, all stripped down, and perfect.

U2Man said:
Varying their arrangements is definitely not their strong side, usually.

Really? I always thought they were quite inventive in this regard (Bullet, The Fly, Streets to some degree, Desire, etc. all going through various stages of rearrangement).

tommycharles said:

Really? I always thought they were quite inventive in this regard (Bullet, The Fly, Streets to some degree, Desire, etc. all going through various stages of rearrangement).

I must say that, in my opinion, bullet and streets have won, but the fly and desire have lost. The fly on the boston dvd is too much like any other song, like lady with the spinning head. Glad they went back to "something like the original feeling" on this tour. On desire, they went too country any time they played it after zootv. That song, for me, has some rock strenght that I loved, it was the first song i learned on guitar. On the pop tour, and elevation, it became quite "rockless". Didn't like it. But this is just an opinion.

I like the Chicago (first leg) versions of the song. More stripped down and raw. Gives it a cool feel. I like the Edge on guitar and Terry on piano version a little better though. But I think both versions are very good.

What is amazing (for U2) about Original from Chicago first leg is that they barely worked on the song prior to the show. The essentially hadnt played it since Vancouver at a show or soundcheck. They didnt really have this song down yet. Then to barely work on it prior to the Chicago show (they screwed up the intro when they worked on it) and put it on the DVD was sort of a bold move on their part.

Back
Top Bottom