New York or Boston?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2@NYC

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Well, it seems that D.C. will not get a show until October, based on the curremt rumors, and there is no way I am waiting until then... so I will need to travel.

Based on initial reviews and opinions, I am thinking of going to NYC (where I have seen them before in MSG). However, I also thought about going to Boston, given the big Irish community there.

If you could choose, and assuming that U2.com delivers tickets for one or the other, where would you recommend me to go?

That's a tough call.

Depending upon your monetary situation - do whatever would be cheapest for you in terms of travel and lodging. Both crowds will be fantastic to see a show with.

Hmm, I have friends in both places that I could stay with, and we have the Chinese bus that gets you from D.C. to NYC for $20 and to Boston for $25, so no big difference there...

i've been to both venues on various tours, both great but if you've never seen them in Boston definitely go, there is nothing like the atmosphere in that town when they play, hence the DVD.....great area too, great bars all walking distance to the fleet center.

NYC is the best city in the world. I am from Pittsburgh and I will be making the trip to the garden.

bold99 said:
.great area too, great bars all walking distance to the fleet center.

very important info. thanks, going to both venues as im in DC too and am in no way waiting til October, if those dates r true

Thanks for the tips. :up:

By the way, isn't it sad that Philly is getting at least a show in this first leg and D.C. is getting nothing?

Last edited:
yes i'm a new yorker so you know where i stand... buuuut i did go to school in new hampshire and went to many a celtic game at the fleet center (can't beat 10 dollar seats in an arena with lax security that lets you get 2 rows from the court... if you tried that at the garden you'd get beaten with a walkie talkie)

the area around the fleet is dingy. haven't been there in a year, but that's what it was like when i was there. transportation is tough in the area unless you can figure out how to navigate the T, which is much tougher for out of towners than the new york subway system is. as for bars in the area, i loved the fours, which is around the corner from the fleet center... quality place, good food and a fine pint of guinness... but frankly, there's a million places like that within walking distance of the garden. heck, the bar trax, in penn station directly below the garden, is just as good as the fours, and that's not even making an effort to find any place better... and there are plenty of places better.

and on top of that... the last question you have to ask is this...

the fleet center... which looks like a modified parking garage...
Fleet%20Center.jpg

Fleet_Center_from_Parking_Garage-Fleet_Center_from_Parking_Garage.jpg.jpg

or the World's Most Famous Arena...

msg_028.jpg

jma014.jpg

it's a no brainer in my opinon... not that my opinion matters or anythin'

Gawden? Is that a New Joisey accent or Lawng Island ;)

Go to the Meadlowlands as well if you head to NYC. They usually have the Jersey shows (Continental Arena, which is located less than 10 miles from the Gawden) right around the same time. And its easier to get tix (relatively) to that show.

Whatever the place or situation is, you're bound to have a great time.

I love how Headache uses a picture of the FleetCenter nearly empty 41 minutes before a Celtics game and a picture of a sold out MSG during an Elevation show...thats an accurately fair comparison. :rolleyes:

Edit: and to add to Headache's comments abot the area around the Fleet (which should have a new name by the time U2 plays), thanks to the big dig, the elevated sections of the highway and T are now demolished on Causeway Street, the area is much more open and accessible, not so "dingy".

At any rate, a show in either city would be great, but lets face it NY ranks 3rd in America behind Boston and Chicago for places to see U2.

Last edited:
Hewson said:

At any rate, a show in either city would be great, but lets face it NY ranks 3rd in America behind Boston and Chicago for places to see U2.

Boston and Chicago over NYC...PLEASE!!!

Yeah, I guess that's why 'City of Blinding lights" was written about U2's last visit playing MSG and how each of them have said that those shows in MSG were their most memorable along with the one they played in Bosnia of their careers.

When Bono signs the chorus of "Oh, you look so beautiful tonight" what arena is he talking about.He follows that lyric with"I'm getting ready to leave the ground" bacuse as Adam Clayton said "the crowd takes us on a journey in MSG" when we play there.

NYC is without a doubt U2's favorite city and the one they get the most up for as evidenced by COBL on thsi able, New York from ATYCLB and all the other NYC references they've made in their lyrics through out their 25 yr careers.

Also which city did they decide to kick off the album with?Which did they play the suprise show in?Where were they scheduled to play for St Patty's day if the tour isn't postponed?

Nothing brings the energy of MSG for U2, especially 2 new arena's that have zero atmosphere like you have in Boston and Chicago.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
I love how Headache uses a picture of the FleetCenter nearly empty 41 minutes before a Celtics game and a picture of a sold out MSG during an Elevation show...thats an accurately fair comparison. :rolleyes:

Edit: and to add to Headache's comments abot the area around the Fleet (which should have a new name by the time U2 plays), thanks to the big dig, the elevated sections of the highway and T are now demolished on Causeway Street, the area is much more open and accessible, not so "dingy".

i thought you'd like that...

it really has nothing to do with my dislike for boston. if the boston garden was still up, my opinion might be different. it's about the historic nature of the building... there's no comparing the fleet soon to be bank of america center to madison square garden. even you can admit that.

didn't know they knocked down the elevated highways and T sections... that really was what made the area look crappy when i was last there, so if that's gone then it would be much improved, but it still doesn't change my opinion.

if it was fleet center vs. nassau coliseum or continental airlines arena? i'd say go to boston in a heartbeat. but it's the garden... you can't top the garden. there's just something about looking up and seeing that roof... it adds to the experience. the fleet/bank of america center, the united center, the wachovia center, the whatever center... sure they're nice, clean, more comfortable seats, more spacious, more modern, more up to date... but they have no charm, no character, no nothing. they're dead, cookie cutter buildings.

where would you rather watch a concert/game... skydome, tropicana field, whatever that new park in cincinatti is called, giants stadium, shea stadium... or fenway park?

easy question... fenway. it's got history, it has character... just being in the building, seeing that wall... it adds to the excitement of the event, which you can't say about the newer more modern buildings i mentioned.

same goes for madison square garden... it's the garden. 'nough said.

Last edited:
JR#9: U2 has long called Boston its "home away from home".
Sure they write songs about NYC, but the fan base and energy of the shows in Boston and Chicago are the top 2 US Cities.
(Where did they play St Patty's day during ZooTV?, where were they planning a club show around July 3, 1997 before Bono had to rush back to Dublin to tend to fire damage?)

And Headache...Bank Of America won't continue the naming rights for the FleeceCenter, they bought out of the deal on Tuesday, the rights are up for grabs...I say you and I put up $50 apiece and call it Hewson's Headache Center.

I know MSG has far more history, but the building isn't whats important, its the people and the energy.

Have you been to MSG for U2?

There is zero chance that in the NEW building in either Chicago or Boston sounds anything like MSG does because of the large openess of these new style building which causes the acustics to sound like sh1t.

And I'm not trying to knock Boston, I'm an irishman and after NYC Boston is my 2nd favorite city but both Boston and Chicago are mini-NYCies and can't compete with the big city as far as energy both inside and outside the building.

NYC has the largest # of U2 fans of the 3 cities making the tix even more of a premium as well so those people that are lucky enough to get tix are pumped up for the show.Not many casual fans make it inside MSG for a U2 concert.

As for you feeling that they like to play Boston more than NYC I just can't see how you could say this based on all the SONGS, plural, that they write about NYC and all the references they make to it in interviews etc.

Bottom line is NYC is the biggest and mast alive city in the world No other city comes close to the enery present in this city, especially for a U2 concert and this is why NYC, NOT Chicago or Boston have obviously inspired the band on so many occasions to the point that they actually write songs about it and the song on the current album is directly written about the insane experience that the MSG fans took U2 on, the bands words not mine.

What could possible speak louder than that???

When U2 writes a song about the crowds in either Chicago or Boston then you'll have an arguement, until then it is quite obvious where U2 gets the most up to play and which venue brings the most energy.

Last edited:
Hewson said:
JR#9: U2 has long called Boston its "home away from home".
Sure they write songs about NYC, but the fan base and energy of the shows in Boston and Chicago are the top 2 US Cities.
(Where did they play St Patty's day during ZooTV?, where were they planning a club show around July 3, 1997 before Bono had to rush back to Dublin to tend to fire damage?)

And Headache...Bank Of America won't continue the naming rights for the FleeceCenter, they bought out of the deal on Tuesday, the rights are up for grabs...I say you and I put up $50 apiece and call it Hewson's Headache Center.

I know MSG has far more history, but the building isn't whats important, its the people and the energy.

To add to the above, where did they choose to film the dvd for the first leg of the elevation tour? And which US city has a concert included on the Complete U2? And what city does Edge refer to on the liner notes of the Complete U2 as having the fans that really gave them their break in the US? Boston, Boston, Boston. We may not be the biggest, but we have the most passionate fans (check out the RedSox and Patriots and make sure you wear sunglasses to reduce the glare of our championship trophies!!!)

Johnovox said:

To add to the above, where did they choose to film the dvd for the first leg of the elevation tour? And which US city has a concert included on the Complete U2? And what city does Edge refer to on the liner notes of the Complete U2 as having the fans that really gave them their break in the US? Boston, Boston, Boston. We may not be the biggest, but we have the most passionate fans (check out the RedSox and Patriots and make sure you wear sunglasses to reduce the glare of our championship trophies!!!)

Championship trophies???:ohmy:

They win one title since 1918 and you choose to talk smack??

Too funny.They got lucky this year.Sooner or later it was going to happen after having been NY's b1tches for sooooooo many years and even this year EVERYBODY had jumped off the wagon when down 3-0....

Back to U2, like I said, if Boston is so loved by U2 why no songs mentioning the love affair like they do with NY in at least 3 songs, one directly written about the FANS at MSG who Clayton said brough the band on a trip with them, not the band driving the crowd???

Show me where they said something of that magnitude about a Boston crowd.

Show me one word that mentions Boston in ANY of their lyrics.

Bottom line is the vibe in MSG, right smack in the middle of the most alive and exciting city in the entire world can't be matched, especially in that terminal you call the fleet center, in the middle of nothing with no energy surrounding the facilty.

Sure U2 loves Boston with all the Irish but that is what the appeal starts and ends with.There are just as many Irish in NYC and the building is packed with them and every other aspect Boston or Chicago simply can't compare to NYC.

JR#9 said:

Championship trophies???:ohmy:

They win one title since 1918 and you choose to talk smack??

Too funny.They got lucky this year.Sooner or later it was going to happen after having been NY's b1tches for sooooooo many years and even this year EVERYBODY had jumped off the wagon when down 3-0....

Back to U2, like I said, if Boston is so loved by U2 why no songs mentioning the love affair like they do with NY in at least 3 songs, one directly written about the FANS at MSG who Clayton said brough the band on a trip with them, not the band driving the crowd???

Show me where they said something of that magnitude about a Boston crowd.

Show me one word that mentions Boston in ANY of their lyrics.

Bottom line is the vibe in MSG, right smack in the middle of the most alive and exciting city in the entire world can't be matched, especially in that terminal you call the fleet center, in the middle of nothing with no energy surrounding the facilty.

Sure U2 loves Boston with all the Irish but that is what the appeal starts and ends with.There are just as many Irish in NYC and the building is packed with them and every other aspect Boston or Chicago simply can't compare to NYC.

I think anyone has to do is be a long time fan of U2 to know that they feel Boston is a special place for them. Over and over again they talk about Boston being their home away from home. They broke out in Boston and Boston has supported them ever since.

Oh, and on the sports note, no one I know wrote off the Sox down 0-3. That's the difference - Boston has the passionate fans and NYC has, well, I don't want to go there. Now I am sure the NYC fans expected a sweep - how did they know they would go down as the biggest chokers in the history of sports!!!

Oh, and don't even talk football. You can't.

Johnovox said:

I think anyone has to do is be a long time fan of U2 to know that they feel Boston is a special place for them. Over and over again they talk about Boston being their home away from home. They broke out in Boston and Boston has supported them ever since.

Oh, and on the sports note, no one I know wrote off the Sox down 0-3. That's the difference - Boston has the passionate fans and NYC has, well, I don't want to go there. Now I am sure the NYC fans expected a sweep - how did they know they would go down as the biggest chokers in the history of sports!!!

Oh, and don't even talk football. You can't.

U2 broke in Boston???:lol:

What a joke!!!

I'll ask again, where are all the songs about Boston?

Where are the songs written about the AUDIENCE in Boston?:shrug:

They've written at least 3 songs directly about NY and one each on the last 2 albums.

Clayton has said their shows in MSG last tour were the most special they played along with the ones in Bosnia.Want to read the direct quote go to atu2.com and look it up where he says it was the crowd taking THEM on a journey, not them taking the crowd.Show me where anything close to that was said about a Boston crowd.

What does that say to you big guy?

All you guys keep convienently trying to ignore these questions.I wonder how come.

Again, how can you compare the enegry of NYC to Boston?

Boston is a little town compared to NYC.It's not even close.Boston hot spots are dingy sh1thole bars that throw you out at 1am for Christ;s sake!!!What energy that provides.

As for the sports stuff, Redsox fans were the biggest losers in ALL of sports...ALL OF SPORTS, and you guys actually loved having the loser tag and PLEASE don't try and tell me people in Boston weren't jumping ship...Did you see all the signs, read all the newspaper articles....it's nothing short of a joke to even try and say otherwise.

As for the Yanks, the WINNINGEST franchise in ALL of sports, what can you say.They have tortured Bostonians and we've loved every minute of it.

Most passionate fans in all of sports???You really are a comedian.

Why is it all you see at the Fleet center is a sea of Gold for both Celtic and Bruin games???

Real "Passion involed in supporting them!!!:laugh:

Bottom line is Boston isn't in NY's league and U2's songs and actions indicate how they feel as well.

U2 broke in Boston??? What a Joke!!!

The joke's on you. Check out the digital booklet to the complete U2, or read any of Carter Alan's books on U2.

Look, I think you are a little sensitive about NYC. Its a great city. I am sure U2 love plaing there. But bigger isn't always better and Boston is considered special by U2. Period.

I am sorry that Steinbrenner couldn;t buy you another title. i am sure he will try again next year. For now, we are the champs and you are the BIGGEST CHOKERS IN THE HISTORY OF ANY SPORT.

Oh, and I agree the Fleet doesn't have the same feel and history of the old Boston Garden, but it does have the championship banners that MSG just can;t match. You know, the championship banners from the WINNINGEST TEAM IN SPORTS.

Still quiet on the football front, huh. Too bad, I'd love to chat. He, he

I could care less about football but while the Pat's have had a great team the last 3 yrs I wouldn't be chest thumping about them either with them being an absolutely MISERABLE franchise every yr of it's existence prior to the last 3~~~again, the laws of probrability had to sooner or later gone the Pats and Redsox way as they were just such losers for such a long time so get all your talking in now while they are both in "up" cycles because it will probrably be another 85 yrs for the next champoinship, especially with the Sox.

Now to put an end to the Boston-NY U2 stuff, I just get tired of all the "Boston is U2's favorite..blah, blah" stuff because EVERYTHING they've said and done has proved that NYC is their place to play of choice.

You have ONE thing going for your arguement, they filmed a concert DVD there....wooo F'in hooo....they've written NUMEROUS songs about NYC and one directly about the fans at MSG that in their own words blew their minds to the point that they've been quoted saying the shows their in the last tour were the most special along with the concert in Bosnia...how come you keep ignoring the bands own words.....stop skirting the issue, the bands words end the debate as well as their actions including launching the new album here, shooting the 2nd video here, throwing a suprise public concert to kick off the album...why isn't any of this stuff EVER in Boston?

JR#9 said:

U2 broke in Boston???:lol:

What a joke!!!
I'm gonna take a guess that you are too young to have been listening to U2 around 1980-1981, just a guess. But yes Boston was the first city in the US to embrace the band on radio, in the clubs, theaters and arenas (Where was U2's first arena sell out? Worcester MA ).
The band have said repeateedly that Boston is their favorite US city to visit and play, Mr. Clayton has been quoted as calling it their "home away from home".

As for Adam's comments about 2001's MSG shows, that is all tied in with the 9/11 situation, and I'm sure the shows were very special and emotional to the band and everyone in attendance as a result...I don't question U2's love for NYC, and they're also smart enough to know the importance of the city(and its size and available media) for marketing purposes, hence the ABOY video shoot.
But historically its no secret that if you're a U2 fan travelling to catch them somewhere special, and you're in the US, Boston should be atop your list, followed closely by Chicago.

And just one point on your sports analogy (don't now how any of that is relevant to this dicussion anyway), Its not Sox fans who were the biggest losers, any baseball fan knows that Cubs fans have always held that title (and still support their team). They haven't won since 1908, and have had decades of not even coming close. The Sox had several near misses, what stands (I should say "stood") out about the Sox was the bizarre twists that caused them to miss the title (Pesky double clutching in '46, non-call of catcher's interference in'75 along with Jim Rice getting his hand broken by Vern Ruhle, Bucky Bleeping Dent in '78, Buckner's Holland Tunnel legs in'86 and Grady Little's 2003 gaffe with Pedro), so a local writer dreamt up a non existant "Curse of the Bambino", which got a lot of publicity.

Yeah, they were well recieved in Boston b/c of the college population but don't forget early on that they also had many shows in NYC including places they constantly still talk about like CBGB's and the like from the early days.

As for the rest, Boston has the "small/big city" Irish feeling which certainly endears itself to the band but NYC is "THE CITY", the biggest stage in the world, the most exciting city in the world.

As the saying goes"If you can make it there you, you can make it anywhere".

Do any members of U2 own a home in Boston"their home away from home" as they do in NYC???

And you say it's not the building that makes the concert it's the people, then what would that mean, that bostonians know how to party harder than New Yorkers or that their crowd gets more up for U2?

The whole Boston thing is based on the irish connection but in actuality NY has more Irish then does Beantown so that goes out the window.

I love Boston, it's my second favorite city BUT you simply can't put it on the scale of NYC in regards to such things.

I really can't see how you compare U2's obvious love affair with U2 that has inspired THREE songs and numerous kickoff events to Boston just because that's where they sold out their 1st show or because the college population were AMOUNG the first to embrace them.

And Chicago a close 2nd after Boston....now your getting ridiculous.Just because they went to a F'in museum in town when touring there that inspired Unforgetable Fire let's not get hysterical now.

Last edited:
You keep saying the Boston thing has to do with the city's Irish pouplation...sorry, thats just not it.(certainly it helps a bit, but as you so eloquently state, NYC has more Irish)
Its a history the band has with the city's fanbase (and not just college kids, they turn over every 4 yrs you know)...whatever. NYC is bigger, so obviously everyone must love it more, right.

Hewson said:
You keep saying the Boston thing has to do with the city's Irish pouplation...sorry, thats just not it.(certainly it helps a bit, but as you so eloquently state, NYC has more Irish)
Its a history the band has with the city's fanbase (and not just college kids, they turn over every 4 yrs you know)...whatever. NYC is bigger, so obviously everyone must love it more, right.

It's not that it's bigger it's just the electricity in NYC...The energy in this place that is unmatched in the world.

Boston has a unique feel but that city is certainly not "alive" and it certainly doesn't come close to the vibe you get when in NYC.

Your whole arguement is that it's the people inside the arena that makes a concert but I'm still confused as to what that means, that Boston fans get more up then NYer's do for U2?

And what does Chicago bring to the mix that makes you slot them as the #2 place to catch U2?

Maybe when it was old Chicago Stadium where the acustics were unreal made it a fantastic place but the United Center sucks sound wise.No feel to the place.

Hewson said:

I agree with you Hewson, but maybe a casual fan just may not be aware of U2's history outside the last few years. I am sure they hold NYC in very high regard, but Boston is obviously special to them as well. If you want to see a show in one city, I say Boston, but NYC is still great. I won't denigrate the city like others.

By the way Jr#9, Pats = 4 AFC championships, 2 SuperBowl titles and all time NFL record for consecutive victories.

Johnovox said:

I agree with you Hewson, but maybe a casual fan just may not be aware of U2's history outside the last few years. I am sure they hold NYC in very high regard, but Boston is obviously special to them as well. If you want to see a show in one city, I say Boston, but NYC is still great. I won't denigrate the city like others.

By the way Jr#9, Pats = 4 AFC championships, 2 SuperBowl titles and all time NFL record for consecutive victories.

I've said repeatedly that I love Boston and it's my 2nd favorite city but when people here are crowing about it as a superior place to see a band like U2, who's extensively written songs about NYC on 3 different albums I have to try and show why I think it's inaccurate and I've listed the reasons why a number of times.

As for the sports stuff, aren't you the one who said Boston fans are the most pasionate in the world?

Where is all the passion for the B's and the Celts?What's with the empty yellow seats at each of their home games?

I guess you guys only get passionate when the teams are winning, huh?

As for the Pats, as I said they've FINALLY entered a "up" period after being simply dreadful for...for...forever.

And I love how the Pat fans had to start a "Yankees suck" chant at the Pats 1st Superbowl parade....such envy that it spills over into a totally different sport.

Back
Top Bottom