New York or Boston?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JR#9 said:

I've said repeatedly that I love Boston and it's my 2nd favorite city but when people here are crowing about it as a superior place to see a band like U2, who's extensively written songs about NYC on 3 different albums I have to try and show why I think it's inaccurate and I've listed the reasons why a number of times.

I don;t think people are crowing that Boston is a superior place to see U2. To some, it is a special place to see the band. That's all. The first post in this thread crowing about one place and denigrating another is yours. I love NYC and think it would be great to see a U2 show there. But when someone puts down Boston, especially with respect to seeing a U2 show, I have to remind them (or in some cases, inform them for the first time) that U2 has a special history with Boston.

As for the sports stuff, aren't you the one who said Boston fans are the most pasionate in the world?

Celtics fans aren't passionate, that's why they made a Hollywood movie about overly passionate Celitcs fans, right?

And I love how the Pat fans had to start a "Yankees suck" chant at the Pats 1st Superbowl parade....such envy that it spills over into a totally different sport.

Sorry, I don't envy things that suck. By the way, if you want to hear the chant at home, you can watch the B-side sgement on the U2 Live from Boston dvd. Its a great show - in Boston.

JR (or is it Jr.?),
I can't deny that NYC is a great city. It's the largest in the United States, so I will admit that it has more U2 fans, both casual and passionate. But it has more of EVERYTHING, because it's a much bigger city than Boston.
But proportionately, if a city like NYC gets 3 or 4 arena shows on one leg and Boston gets 3, AND NYC has millions more in population, what city has a greater percentage of fans? I'm guessing that would be Boston.
I can't say that the Yankees "suck," but once again, having the most championships does not mean having the most passionate fans. How do I know this?...Well, I don't. There aren't hard facts about "passionate fans," but once again you can look to the fact that it's easy for there to be more Yankees fans when NYC is so much larger in overall population. Having a $200 million payroll doesn't hurt either.
"New York" and "Angel of Harlem" are clearly about NYC, but are not really about the FANS in New York, but talking about the city itself. City of Blinding Lights is an amazing song about life after 9/11, and you are right that it was inspired by their show at MSG.
Immigrants of all backgrounds for have been coming to New York for a couple centuries, but Boston is UNIQUELY IRISH.
Personally, I'm going to put our differences aside and probably see a show at MSG AND whatever they call the former Fleetcenter.

martha said:
I prefer Phoenix. It's hotter.

You mean like 113 degrees when we saw Bruce? :help:

As a New Yorker at heart, naturally I agree with Headache--it's a no brainer. Plus the last time I was in Boston I found the people to be very grumpy--yes, grumpier than New Yorkers--and don't forget that little sitdown demonstration they had during the Elevation filming. :wink: *runs away*

JR#9 said:
Have you been to MSG for U2?

There is zero chance that in the NEW building in either Chicago or Boston sounds anything like MSG does because of the large openess of these new style building which causes the acustics to sound like sh1t.

I really didn't want to get into this but...

The old Boston Garden was a sister building (Built by the same people at about the same time) to MSG. I saw U2 there twice, 9/87 and 3/92, and neither time could I understand a damn thing Bono said, and barely could make out lyrics to songs I didn't know (like cover versions). All these problems went away when they wisely tore down the old Garden and built the Fleet. I saw them play MSG in 10/01 and lo and behold, the same awful sound, the same exact look, old and decrepit, as the old Garden.

While the sentiment was great in NYC after 9/11, give me the Fleet. (God, I never thought I'd say that!)

I've also seen U2 play in 5 different states on both coasts and several European countries, and the only place the vibe is similar to Boston is Dublin. I think they import the Irish to go to U2 shows here!

not to get into all of this again, it's really old and tired...

But those sitdown people weren't from anywhere near Boston, I believe at least 3-5 of them were from CA, and were following U2 all over the place.

And you'd be grumpy too if you lived through winters here :wink: . I'm sure there are plenty of grumpy people in NYC too :shrug:

MrsSpringsteen said:
not to get into all of this again, it's really old and tired...

But those sitdown people weren't from anywhere near Boston, I believe at least 3-5 of them were from CA, and were following U2 all over the place.

And you'd be grumpy too if you lived through winters here :wink: . I'm sure there are plenty of grumpy people in NYC too :shrug:

I was joking.:|

:huh:

I guess this thread has become the reflection of all the love that exists between Newyorkers and Bostonians. I only wanted to have an idea of which crowd would be better and it seems that both are as passionate so the experience would be great in both places.

Thanks to all for all the feedback and as someone who now lives in D.C., but used to live in NYC and have had the chance of visiting Boston at least 5 times, you both have great places to live and should be proud of them.

DubbalinGirl said:
The old Boston Garden was a sister building (Built by the same people at about the same time) to MSG. I saw U2 there twice, 9/87 and 3/92, and neither time could I understand a damn thing Bono said, and barely could make out lyrics to songs I didn't know (like cover versions). All these problems went away when they wisely tore down the old Garden and built the Fleet. I saw them play MSG in 10/01 and lo and behold, the same awful sound, the same exact look, old and decrepit, as the old Garden.

this thread makes me laugh... buuuuut i have to take exception to this particular post, because of it's factual inaccuracies in the above statement.

the old Boston Garden opened 1928. the current Madison Square Garden opened in 1968, replacing the previous Garden, which opened in 1926. The current Madison Square Garden is NOTHING like the old Boston Garden, and the fact that you said they were the same building makes me wonder if you've ever actually been to Madison Square Garden like you said. To start, MSG is round, the Boston Garden was rectangular. the interiors are not even remotely similar. The Boston Garden had a similar design to the old Chicago Stadium & the old Maple Leafs Garden, while Madison Square Garden is similar in design to The Forum in LA. And MSG also went over a $250 million dollar face lift in the mid 90s, and is in now way old and decrepit looking.

The Boston Garden was a great old building, and presented one of the greatest home court advantages in basketball history. The crowd was literally right up on the court. The visitor's locker rooms were dingy, dim pieces of crap... and they were kept that way on purpose, much like what was done at Chicago Stadium.

10-5024.jpg

gardensm.jpg

as you can see they aren't even remotely similar...

the boston garden and chicago stadium, however...

8-4060.jpg

chicago_stadium.jpg

almost identical in design...

not that any of that matters...

boston did have a grasp on u2 before any other city in the US. that's fact, so it's no use arguing it. u2 were first popular on college radio. combine a large college population with a large irish population, and it's no wonder why u2 were big in boston first. that said, new york wasn't very far behind... their first concert in america was at The Ritz in Manhattan. i think everyone in the band except for adam has a place in or near new york city. they obviously have a love affair with BOTH cities, and arguing over who's city they have a bigger love for, or who's fans are bigger u2 fans... well, frankly that's stupid.

and for people arguing sports... well... i dunno what the hell sports has to do with the whole argument, but ok... i'll bite. new yorkers... sorry... we can't say shit. they've got the world series champion, they've got the super bowl champion... new york right now has shit. the yankees choked, the mets blow, the giants blow, the jets are about to get bounced by san diego... both the knicks and celtics equally stink and have no chance of beating the heat or any of the west teams... and hockey? well? frankly... who cares... they don't even play hockey anymore.

boston has the two most important american sport trophies in their clutches... until new york does the same, just shut up... you sound silly.

and as hewson could tell you... that took ALOT for me to say, 'cause i fricken hate every team in boston more than anything. but reality is reality, and ya can't lie about reality.

that said... i'd still recomend a show at MSG over the not so Fleet Center any day of the week.

and Hewson... I've got my $50 bucks ready... i say we make our bid.

Last edited:
Fleet Center I do not like the fact you can enter the building and leave it from the train station area. After doing my traveling this past year twice to Boston for both Pearl Jam and Metallica shows, where are you going to form a GA line? The only good things about it are Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds and its indoors.

Super_Fan said:
Fleet Center I do not like the fact you can enter the building and leave it from the train station area. After doing my traveling this past year twice to Boston for both Pearl Jam and Metallica shows, where are you going to form a GA line? The only good things about it are Dunkin Donuts and McDonalds and its indoors.

We formed a GA line at the Fleet during the elevation tour in the fenced off area (sometimes used as a parking lot) by the west entrance (by the pro shop). It worked quite nicely.

brkngrrl said:

We formed a GA line at the Fleet during the elevation tour in the fenced off area (sometimes used as a parking lot) by the west entrance (by the pro shop). It worked quite nicely.

That was June. It should be much colder in this area if they return in March and/or November

Tour on hold?

I heard a rumor that The Edge's Son was just diagnosed with cancer and that the tour will be put on hold? Anyone else heard this.

I am a bostonian planning on going to both ny and fleet shows, the vibes in these cities is so different it is hard to compare them- they are both great in their own ways-
whoever said that there arent any good bars near the fleet center is out of their mind, that area has quite a few bars- most of them irish ones! faneuil hall is right down the street, and there are dozens more Irish bars down there as well- around the corner from the fleet is the north end- with some of the best italian restaurants in america
(and yes i know ny has little italy-but its not as close)
Even though i am from boston, i have no problem stating that nyc is a great city- but the area around the fleet is great for going to a show-
sounds like we have some ALCS sour grapes going on here

Attachments

• arod.jpg
    arod.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 12
U2@NYC said:
:huh:

I guess this thread has become the reflection of all the love that exists between Newyorkers and Bostonians. I only wanted to have an idea of which crowd would be better and it seems that both are as passionate so the experience would be great in both places.

Yeah. Being a Chicagoan, I feel kind of left out. :p

Just a few words about U2 and Chicago: Park West, UIC Pavillion. Perhaps meaningless to New Yorkers and Bostonians, but very important to Chicago U2 fans. :up:

knox said:

Just a few words about U2 and Chicago: Park West, UIC Pavillion. Perhaps meaningless to New Yorkers and Bostonians, but very important to Chicago U2 fans. :up:

I would agree that Chicago is also a special place for U2.

It isn't his son, it's supposedly his "second to youngest"
daughter..

..which woukd be Blue Angel, and not Morleigh's child.

The truth is, we don't know...and following the Pollstar article today, I'm REALLY confused..it might not even be true at all. So here's hoping.

Mrs Springsteen, I was Boston that week, and you are right about the California people in the front of the GA line. I talked to some of them. They are from the U2la site on yahoo, mailing list, and there is a bunch of maybe 20-25 people that followed the band around cross-country for like 25 shows that year, and from the sound of things were planning to do it again. We still don't know exactly what happened regarding the line snafu, but reports that Bono was reportedly sick of seeing the same old faces in front and wanted "circulation in the Heart" conflicted with stories of an NBC TV crew plucking a few pretty faces from the back of the crowd MTV-style and sticking them in the front rows without the band's prior knowledge, for the filming..we willnever know exactly what happened, only there was a mass crossing of wires.
Which was a real pity, b/c that show, I was at, the 2nd show, was the one that should have been used..it was far better than what ended up on the DVD.

Last edited:
knox said:

Well the original question by U2@NYC was whether to travel to Boston or NY to see the band in the event they don't play DC on leg 1, but if you look closely, Chicago was given props...in fact I said that NYC was 3rd best option to see U2 after Boston and Chicago.

I saw the show in Albany, NY in 2001. It's a great place to see a show and easier to get tickets. The venue is a little smaller than MSG and Fleet Center, all the seats are pretty good. The downtown area has a ton of bars and restaurants to pre and post game. The bars are a lot cheaper. The set list was awesome at that show, Bono thanked the crowd for lifting him up since he was a little down when the show started. He even mentioned the Albany show in the Elevation DVD. Boston and New York are great cities and the shows are amazing there, but I Albany is a good alternative and it's only 2 1/2 to three hours from both cities.

Back
Top Bottom