MERGED ---> Various GA Discussions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2_Refugee

The Fly
Rules of the GA Line

I read on U2.com that you cant be at the stadium any earlier than 9 am...and that they seperate you into two lines regular GA and U2.com club tix GA ( from previous experience I know this is true) is that up to the stadium to decide to do that or not?? because the vertigo dvd extras screwed me up..they formed one line and people said they were out there for up to like 48 hours
Sorry, I just want this experience to be perfect so I was hoping someone had an answer on this!

The info on U2.com is pretty trustworthy as far as the GA info goes. I'd check with the venue as well because they probably have their own rules as to when lineups can start.

The only Vertigo Tour stadium shows I attended were in Monterrey and Mexico City.

At Monterrey, the stadium parking lot was surrounded by a chainlink fence. Fans started lining up at the single entrance of this fence three days prior to the show.

Upwards of 3,000 people were in line 24 hours before "Wake Up". The line got so long that it started interfering with the motor traffic, so another line was formed on the sidewalk across the street from the original line. There was no U2.com line.

On the morning of the show, the security guards let people into the parking lot, where three different GA lines formed in front of the three different stadium field entrances. A numbering system was administered by fans, in which each person wrote on their hand whatever number in line they were. This enabled fans to leave the line and come back at will (though I didn't notice anyone leaving for hours at a time).

The numbering system only worked up until the gates opened at 3pm, at which point people started line-jumping and pushing ahead, which caused a small panic when some fans started getting crushed a bit.

We showed up at 10am the morning of the show, were number 860 in our line, and ended up on the barrier, Edge-side... not too terrible.

At Mexico City, they opened the parking lot a day early, so about 1500 fans were able to line up at the single entrance gate in relative peace. However, security then closed the parking lot for awhile, locking everyone in and preventing newcomers from joining the line. It was a mess.

We ended up blowing it off and heading back to our hotel rooms for some rest. We showed up at 8pm for MC1 and ended up at the far left side, not very good.

However, for MC 2, we showed up right when the gates opened at 3pm and ended up cutting the line because we were some the few fans there with TicketFast tickets, which had a separate entrance than everyone else. We ended up with the best spot in Azteca Stadium, inside the barrier, directly between the two B-stages.

I'm sure all of this is completely useless info for Aloha Stadium, but perhaps others can relate their GA line experiences in Europe to contrast and compare.

Last edited:
I think that Telstra dome in Melbourne have a no line up before 8 am policy.

Last edited:
The 3 UK shows I attended were much more sensible. For all 3 shows (Manchester 1, Manchester 2, and Cardiff) I arrived at around lunchtime on the day of the show, and in each case got into the center section.

The first Man show was a bit of a nightmare due to the "wristband fiasco", but we got lucky and found a guy at the back of the stadium handing them out.

The second Man show was arguably the easiest as the queue was quite short when we arrived, we had an easy time getting into the center and got a good spot near the stage about two rows back on Edge's side.

Cardiff was a bit tricky as there was a bit of a crush as everyone tried to muscle their way to the center-section entrance. But we got in and had a reasonable spot on Adam's side near the catwalk.

It sounds like there are some crazy fans in Mexico if they were queuing 3 days before the gigs!

4U2Play said:

However, for MC 2, we showed up right when the gates opened at 3pm and ended up cutting the line because we were some the few fans there with TicketFast tickets, which had a separate entrance than everyone else. We ended up with the best spot in Azteca Stadium, inside the barrier, directly between the two B-stages.

4U2Play - do you mean you were between the two bstages, in the crowd, but not on the rail? How was the view to the main stage and the bstages from there? I have HI tix but the thought of GA line drama to the nth degree because of thousands more tickets is making me rethink the trip (ie do I risk waiting in line for hours and end up in a crappy spot like it sounds you did for MC1).

Correct. But that enabled us to walk back and forth between the two B-stages, depending on who was there. If you pushed a bit, you could get one or two people deep from either of the B-stage rails, no prob.

The view was fucking awesome, probably the best spot in the entire stadium because the field at that spot was slightly elevated, so everyone in front of us was down below, creating a perfect view of the amazing wall of lights behind the stage... check out some of my photos from that day here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/547785170HSDXAX/1

Take a look at the shots I got of Edge playing UTEOTW on the left B-stage, then the subsequent shots of Adam on the other B-stage.

Getting a good GA spot at the Honolulu gig will simply require you to get in line early enough to get inside the barrier. If you get inside the barrier, you're set. You can come and go as you please, there's loads of space inside, and most of the fans are very cool U2 concert vets who will allow you to retake your spot should you leave for awhile to get some food or use the bog.

The question then, of course, is: when is "early enough"?

In Monterrey, it was at least two days.

In Mexico City, it was maybe one day, though some people arrived there at 6am and still got inside the barrier.

Jezh said 8 hours before the opening band came on at the 3 UK shows he/she saw.

I have a feeling the Aloha Stadium GA line will be filled with some of U2's most dedicated fans, who will probably start lining up at least one day prior, depending on the security situation.

Many of these same fans slept out overnight in sub-freezing temperatures at the Portland GA line last December, so camping out at Honolulu will be a breeze in comparison.

PS. Bratty Cat, don't even think about not going... Bono might want to use your lipstick again

Last edited:
Even if the stadium doesn't allow you to line up until the morning of the show, fans will definitely find somewhere else to line up. At the Miami show, the arena didn't allow us on their property until the morning so we made a line across the street in a parking lot, and then walked over in the morning and got in line according to our numbers. Very organized line there, except for a few line jumpers who arrived as we were walking into the arena.

thanks alot, im guessing hawaii will be insanity. alot of the dedicated fans will be going i have a feeling... i guess its all a matter of luck from there

U2_Refugee said:
thanks alot, im guessing hawaii will be insanity. alot of the dedicated fans will be going i have a feeling... i guess its all a matter of luck from there

There will be a lot of dedicated fans there, but the locals are pretty laid back. DEFINITELY won't be like Mexico or any of the Latin American shows...I would say 5AM the day of will get you an excellent spot...

4U2Play said:
PS. Bratty Cat, don't even think about not going... Bono might want to use your lipstick again

You're right, I dare not chance it :wink:

BTW, your pic is proudly displayed at home and office! People always marvel that 1. it happened and that 2. I have documentation, so thanks again for that. You take some damn good pics!

Appreciate the info, I'm thinking front rail will require way more stamina and with two bands opening, not sure I'm up for that challenge. I like your approach much better although given your experience, that probably means spending the night in line anyway...must start working on buttering up enabler friend...

Have a great weekend!

Say one for me too! I will probably have a child with me! We need tall person protection around us, LOL :yikes: :shifty:

oh, and those pics from Mexico are getting me :hyper:

4U2Play said:
Correct. But that enabled us to walk back and forth between the two B-stages, depending on who was there. If you pushed a bit, you could get one or two people deep from either of the B-stage rails, no prob.

The view was fucking awesome, probably the best spot in the entire stadium because the field at that spot was slightly elevated, so everyone in front of us was down below, creating a perfect view of the amazing wall of lights behind the stage... check out some of my photos from that day here:

http://community.webshots.com/album/547785170HSDXAX/1

Take a look at the shots I got of Edge playing UTEOTW on the left B-stage, then the subsequent shots of Adam on the other B-stage.

Getting a good GA spot at the Honolulu gig will simply require you to get in line early enough to get inside the barrier. If you get inside the barrier, you're set. You can come and go as you please, there's loads of space inside, and most of the fans are very cool U2 concert vets who will allow you to retake your spot should you leave for awhile to get some food or use the bog.

The question then, of course, is: when is "early enough"?

In Monterrey, it was at least two days.

In Mexico City, it was maybe one day, though some people arrived there at 6am and still got inside the barrier.

Jezh said 8 hours before the opening band came on at the 3 UK shows he/she saw.

I have a feeling the Aloha Stadium GA line will be filled with some of U2's most dedicated fans, who will probably start lining up at least one day prior, depending on the security situation.

Many of these same fans slept out overnight in sub-freezing temperatures at the Portland GA line last December, so camping out at Honolulu will be a breeze in comparison.

The people that started Portland GA line were insane. I just completed a _ unknown # days camp out all 3 Pearl Jam shows at Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco. The only problem from my touring reports of Ahola Stadium is there there are no shopping or places to get food or drinks around the stadium.

This show would attract possibly the traveling touring fans ( http://www.touringfans.com )of Pearl Jam diehards. Only problem is that their out of luck since Ten Club is not offering tickets to them. Thank God. Still this matches up to Rolling Stones/Metallica show last year. U2 and Pearl Jam on the same stage will never happen again.

Last edited:
The stadium shows in Europe had very laid-back GA lines compared to the U.S. (and from what it sounds like, Mexico :yikes: ). For the London shows, I got in the GA at noon and ended up with rail space on the far right side of the stage. I certainly would not have gotten rail between the two b-stages, but I liked my spot, and there was not much shoving. For other stadium shows in Europe (Glasgow, Cardiff, Scotland, Dublin) I arrived the morning of the show and got rail.

As SuperFan points out, though, the PJ diehard fans may change the complexion of things a bit...we'll see.

I'm glad I've had a few months to recover from the winter GA experiences!

I have a god-awful tent that I figure will take me around 2 hours to assemble, an air mattress and a big-ass citronella candle . I am not going to coexist with bugs the size of aircraft carriers. I figure last show of the tour - why not have a good old camp out.

I am not ashamed to say that all will be left in Hawaii when the concert is over.

nurse chrissi said:

I am not ashamed to say that all will be left in Hawaii when the concert is over.

Chrissi, I'm leaving mine behind too. The bottom got ripped b/c I kept dragging it around (full of stuff) in St. Louis.

nurse chrissi said:
I have a god-awful tent that I figure will take me around 2 hours to assemble, an air mattress and a big-ass citronella candle . I am not going to coexist with bugs the size of aircraft carriers. I figure last show of the tour - why not have a good old camp out.

Hey, if you assemble the tent in daylight it might only take you an hour and a half. :wink:

Hey Nurse Chrissi, no worries about your god-awful tent, I'll help you build it, I was the 1979 Tinker Toy champ.

Just don't ask me to blow up your air mattress, I have weak lungs.

WildHoneyAlways said:

Hey, if you assemble the tent in daylight it might only take you an hour and a half. :wink:

true but I also have the new matter of the air mattress which I am sure will take the remainder of the time. I'm guessing that by the time Pearl jam starts I'll have everything assembled :wink:

WildHoneyAlways said:

chrissi's tent... :cute: i especially enjoyed the "bay window"

:lmao:

ruffian said:

chrissi's tent... :cute: i especially enjoyed the "bay window"

:lmao:

hmmpf

in Hawaii the bay window will be nice - provided that it doesn't fall down on me when I'm trying to sleep :wink:

Back
Top Bottom