MERGED-->Thoughts on Stage Design and Curtain of Lights+thoughts on the set/lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westport

Refugee
Thoughts on the Stage Design and Curtain of Lights

The stage design is Elevation Part Two...call it what you want but the heart from the last tour has been recycled. And the four monitors above the stage have been brought back as well. I am not saying that that is a bad thing. I enjoyed the last tour...but it does make it harder to separate this one from the last one except for...

The curtain of lights...There were a couple of nice moments...but it's they should limit it's use during the show. It comes down and then it goes up, it comes down and then it goes up....

It is an attempt to be hi-tech but it's really very low-tech. I would describe it as watching a very low resolution television set -like if you took your large screen television set and replaced the thousands of pixels with just 100 light bulbs that are hanging from the ceiling. Each old school American television has 525 lines of resolution....high definition is a lot more. This low tech curtain is very hard on the eyes. It would describe it as being akin to watching video on the strings of beads that some people hang between doorways in their homes...There are four to six of these curtains around the stage that go up and down throughout the concert. It will be a different experience depending where you happen to be sitting in the venue. We walked around the arena at one point and the best view seems to be straight on (but even there during The Fly I couldn't make out the words that flashed on it). After a while, I literally had to walk out and take a ten minute break because of the headache I got from watching this thing. (It's now almost 12 hours since the show ended and my eyes still hurt) I think there will be complaints about this and can't imagine being the crew and watching it night after night. Your cell phone has better animation...just wait until you see the stick figure walking man during Sometimes.

U2 has never repeated themselves but this is nearly identical to the set design of Elevation tour. The only thing that was different here was the light curtain. My question is where's the originality? This from the band that brought us ZooTv.

Concert, Setlist, Band Performance = A+:wink: :drool:
Set Design, Curtain = C+ :huh:

I can only agree with you... But beware, many won't and they will hunt you down for this topic :wink:

Its hard to say without actually experiencing it. But I agree with you somewhat about the stage design. Like I said in the other thread about this, the setlist more than makes up for it for me. I will take that over production any day.

If we were meant to watch such visuals....there would be no televisions....strings of light curtains would be hanging in every home across the planet.

There is a reason Sony doesn't sell these...

Re: Thoughts on the Stage Design and Curtain of Lights

Westport said:
U2 has never repeated themselves but this is nearly identical to the set design of Elevation tour. The only thing that was different here was the light curtain. My question is where's the originality? This from the band that brought us ZooTv.

Concert, Setlist, Band Performance = A+:wink: :drool:
Set Design, Curtain = C+ :huh: [/B]

U2 gave us all the innovation and creativity on Zoo TV and Popmart. They were great tours no doubt, but they won't top either of them - and nobody else has taken up the challenge of anything similar since. Now it's about the music, hearing some great songs. The Heart was such a winning idea they had to use something similar again - if they used a walkway again they'd be criticised for just re-hashing another old idea.

I'm not going to see this for the visual spectacle - I'm going to see it because it's a U2 show and because I love the music. For my money they could stand under 4 white spotlights and play - I'd still be happy to hear these songs live and see this band. As for those of you criticising without even seeing it - there are plenty of fans who would go along without your negative attitude so I suggest you dispose of your tickets. Go in with a mind-set to find fault and you will do just that.

I wasn't at the show, but my understanding was that this 'curtain of lights' was used so they could provide visuals without completely blocking out the behind stage viewing. Of course, the folks who were at last night's show that had seats behind the stage can confirm if this worked or not.

The stage design is one thing.....
it's actually a good design from what I've read about it...
cuz the "behind-the-stage" fans will still see the stage as well....
But that "curtain of lights" backdrop.. is gonna be something else,
for the "behind-the-stage" fans.... cuz when it's lowered down and used... the fans aren't gonna see "diddly-squat"... and then
there's gonna be alot of disappointment again!! :sad: :down:

I would love to hear the reactions and perspective of others who go to the show. I'd like to hear how it looks from different spots in the venue.

I have no idea what it looked like from the floor or behind the stage.

Anyone?

After seeing the show again in Anaheim again last night, it has reinforced my original thoughts on this lighting system.

Last night, whole strands of the curtain went on the blink. In other rows, it looked like the light bulbs had gone out.

There seems to be more feedback disrupting the audio of the show when the rows of light are lowered down... I don't know anything about how wireless broadcast could be hindered but it does seem to be doing so.

I was in front of the heart area and still had a hard time of words that were posted on the curtain.

The images of the walking man and now the nude, topless woman look like something that you'd see in an AOL commercial.

The show is much better when the lights are not used.

Across the board, the technical aspects of this show are just really poor. The One campaign with shots of various audience members looks terrible too.

Band Performance = A+
Technical Show = D+

And if you're gonna have a great ramp into the audience, USE IT. Other than Larry out there for half a song, and The Edge out there for another half a song...Bono's the only one out there, and he doesn't even use it much at all.

At least on the Elevation Tour they played out a the tip.

Chrisedge said:
And if you're gonna have a great ramp into the audience, USE IT. Other than Larry out there for half a song, and The Edge out there for another half a song...Bono's the only one out there, and he doesn't even use it much at all.

At least on the Elevation Tour they played out a the tip.

I was thinking about this myself. I was row 2 inside the Ellipse for the first show in Anaheim, and it seemed like Bono was 6 feet away from me the whole night. Night #2, I was in the back of the GA floor (see, it is random), and I barely got a peek at him.

I don't mind Bono sticking to the stage. It makes the band feel more cohesive in my opinion (and Clayton said he liked Bono staying on the stage in the EPK video). But then what is this ramp for? Right now it's nothing more than a security device to save the people in front from the crunch. I'm sure there's a way to do that while saving space and allowing GA people in back to get closer to the stage.

And the curtains? I do think they're cool sometimes. When? City of Blinding Lights, Bullet, and Zoo Station. But when they come down for Sometimes..., it feels tacked on. And for Streets, it's okay, but I would personally pay Bono $100 to get the red lights back for it. Is it up any other time? I don't even remember and I've seen 2 shows. I just know that I was expecting more gizmos.

Unlike others, I DID like the idea of the ONE campaign pictures, but I think those screens blow. They could be the same ones they used for Elevation. Maybe U2 should have only bought four curtains instead of six, and spent the rest on better screens for the people in nosebleeds.

With all that said, the passion they're putting into these shows seem to be at an all-time high. Especially with the old staples that usually feel a little stale.

It's a strange tour right now. It's the complete opposite of Popmart. The band has the songs down (well, Bono still doesn't have the words down), and they sound amazing, but the production itself is still forming.

westport: i haven't been to a show yet obviously but i'm going to be on the FAR side of the arena so i'm looking forward to the curtains because at least it will give me something to look at! i'm pretty sure at the distance i will be sitting it won't look that bad from some pictures i've seen

but i agree they need to fix up the tech a bit... maybe for the 2nd/3rd leg they need to use smaller bulbs & double the resolution

MsMofoGone said:
The stage design is one thing.....
it's actually a good design from what I've read about it...
cuz the "behind-the-stage" fans will still see the stage as well....
But that "curtain of lights" backdrop.. is gonna be something else,
for the "behind-the-stage" fans.... cuz when it's lowered down and used... the fans aren't gonna see "diddly-squat"... and then
there's gonna be alot of disappointment again!! :sad: :down:

I've been behind the stage on this tour already, you can see just fine.

Better IMHO behind the stage than in the far away front view sections of the arenas.

cardosino said:

I've been behind the stage on this tour already, you can see just fine.

Better IMHO behind the stage than in the far away front view sections of the arenas.

Where were you behind the stage ??????
Cuz, I'm talking about the 300-400 sections regarding my previous post...
These are the sections that won't see "diddly-squat" once that curtain goes down .... why ?? because they're too high up above..

They are very hi tech though, and not because of resolution. Each unit is an individual LED light that can be seen from any angle. That said, I don't really like them, I dunno. They don't do anything for me. But they are on the cutting edge in stage design lighting, and this technology will only get better.

i thought the curtain looked great, but wha t really blew me away was he stage lighting! the lights around the circles and the ellipse we so very cool, especially when they chased around during Miracle Drug, or the deep red when LaPoE started

MsMofoGone said:

These are the sections that won't see "diddly-squat" once that curtain goes down .... why ?? because they're too high up above..

I was 400 section last row at the very top on the right, (Bono's right), almost directly across from the stage of Anaheim 1, the curtains made it hard to see the show, it was like watching through a beaded curtain in a doorway. Also, because I was on the side, I couldn't see any of the words or images that were visible from straight on (I could see the African flags). I know they are trying to make sure everyone gets a good view, but the beads don't help. Also, Bono almost completely ignored that side of the ellipse and audience. Oh well, I am going to SJ1 with better seats, 100 section but still on the right side. At least I will have something to compare it to.

MsMofoGone said:

Section 422, right behind the satge last night. Sec. 422 is the upper section, Iwas abotu half way up.

I have the video to prove it.

Are you speaking from experience or just guessing here ?

Yes, it's like watching through a beaded curtain, but you CAN actually see the band members. It's not unobstructed, but it's definitely bearable, and IMHO MUCH better than being at the end of the arena facing the stage.

Plus they're not used that frequently, and not even always during the whole song.

I sat behind the stage for the first Anahiem show, and while I missed some of the impact of the lighted curtain, I could see the band just fine. I was up in the 400s on Adam's side. Last night I was up in the 400s again, but across the arena from the band. The lighted curtain is great! I think the whole stage and light show is just beautiful. I love the way the stage lights up for the songs, and the colored lights for BD are beautiful.

I really like it; I like it much much better than the set-up for Elevation.

lancerla said:

It's a strange tour right now. It's the complete opposite of Popmart. The band has the songs down (well, Bono still doesn't have the words down), and they sound amazing, but the production itself is still forming.

Perhaps the stadium shows will get the giant LED Screens for the outdoor shows. It is the same company that provided the screens for PopMart, as well as the LED bulbs for this leg of the tour.

Full article: http://www.smartvision.com/eng/news/03292005.asp?id=60

I also read that Bono was to wear a special jacket with LED panels built into it to flash along with some of the songs.

I haven't heard anyone mentioning Bono lighting up, however.
:wink:

Edited to add:
The LED jacket, another Saco design that pushes the technology envelope, will be worn by frontman Bono during the show. It is an entire jacket made of LED's formed onto flexible panels and features full motion video and animations to deliver visual content while coinciding with the song lyrics.

Last edited:
faithingrace said:

I was 400 section last row at the very top on the right, (Bono's right), almost directly across from the stage of Anaheim 1, the curtains made it hard to see the show, it was like watching through a beaded curtain in a doorway. Also, because I was on the side, I couldn't see any of the words or images that were visible from straight on (I could see the African flags). I know they are trying to make sure everyone gets a good view, but the beads don't help. Also, Bono almost completely ignored that side of the ellipse and audience. Oh well, I am going to SJ1 with better seats, 100 section but still on the right side. At least I will have something to compare it to.

This was my exact experience for SD1 everytime the beeded curtain came down Larry was lost. We couldn't see through them very well and from the back side of the beads the graphics just don't come through as well.

Trust me...it's not great from anywhere and the graphics that are displayed are just cheesy. You can't read the words from in front, side, or behind. I can't vouch from what it looks like at the upper levels. It's at it's best when it's just being used in the abstract.

I just can't wait til the show when Bono takes a baseball bat to this thing...

Idea: just send it all to NYC and use it on the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.

Once again...love, love the show but whoever thought this was a great idea isn't the brightest light on the curtain.

Last edited:
Westport said:
Trust me...it's not great from anywhere and the graphics that are displayed are just cheesy. You can't read the words from in front, side, or behind. I can't vouch from what it looks like at the upper levels. It's at it's best when it's just being used in the abstract.

I just can't wait til the show when Bono takes a baseball bat to this thing...

Idea: just send it all to NYC and use it on the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.

Once again...love, love the show but whoever thought this was a great idea isn't the brightest light on the curtain.

Agreed, I've seen 3 shows far, it really doesn't add anything at all for me. To all of you husbands who put up/take down Xmas dexorations, it looks liek a nightmare to handle and keep maintained. It's not a TERRIBLE idea, but pretty close.

were in the world are you baby its about the magic the bound of man and machine is the whole deal. were supposed to use our imaginations are we not in the desert to dismantle an atomic bound news flash fellas were else you gonna get that kind of talent for your hard earned cash?

From the floor it looks very very similar to Elevation. I wasn't aware that the stage was oval and lit up at all until I got home and saw the pictures. The lights work very well at times (Bullet, the fly, City of Blinding Lights) and not so well at others. In particular for streets. I am not sure if it is shock that they finally killed off the red lights or what, but it doesn't do anything for me with the flags.

I mean, everyone's entitlted, but what's the matter with just going to see them play? I know you guys generally thought they played well, but shouldn't that be the only thing that really matters?

I - honestly - could really care less what the stage design is like (I'll find out this Wednesday!)-- I'm just excited to finally hear them live. Maybe that's just me... :)

wow, i cant believe nobody has come in here and started bitching about people bitching

i tend to agree with the original poster, the curtain of lights is alright, but nothing spectacular

i thought they would go all out on production on this tour, but it really is just like a fancy elevation

but either way, its still an amazing show...

Hey I'm not here to complain but I do believe we can hold the show to a higher standard and express when we feel something is less than it should be.

I love the music and I love the band but I think I was a little thrown off base with the pre-show hype of that discussed the technical aspects of this show. Someone said (was it Paul McGuiness?) that the crew was more excited about this production than any other that has proceeded it. I just don't how that would be possible. Maybe they haven't seen a lot of the houses in my neighborhood at Christmas time with all of the dangling lights.

It is all about the music and at the two shows I've been to the band's performance has been outstanding and that IS all that matters but at the same time, I shouldn't be looking at those lights thinking, "Now what the hell is THAT?" "What they does that say?" That is a distraction. Once again, check out the curtain during the AOL Walking Man while Bono sings Sometimes and the girl with the boobs during Mysterious and any words that you may try and fail to decipher that appear on that curtain/Christmas decoration thing.

The tour is a work in progress. I'm sure it'll be a lot different a few months down the road.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom