Lack of Audience during 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
After listening to 40 from all 8 shows thus far, I have come to the conclusion that it seems like when the band stops playing, people immediately cut out singing "How long....to sing this song...". And in some instances they start up again when Larry begins to play his drum solo.

I don't know if it's that people, casual fans, aren't familiar with the song and the history of it as a closer, or if '40' has lost it's spirit.

For those of you who have been to the shows already, does it seem like the recordings tell the truth in the crowd participation of 40, or is it much better than I think it is?

Opening night was REALLY loud and long, because I think there were so many psycho hardcore fans there.

I also saw the SJ shows, which were aweseome of course, but yeah, they trailed off at the end of 40.

I bet the first arena where the fans sing "how long..." at full tilt, for 5 minutes after Larry leaves, will get a surprise encore...

i was gonna say i was at opening night and it seemed to go on strong, but i havent been to the other shows, so i dont know about them

I'm sick to death of hearing about casual fans. Considering the obscene amounts of troubles you have to go through to get tickets I'd say there are no casual fans in concert. Lazy fans, of that I'm sure. When I first saw them in 1990 the audience was really going, singing between encores. Nowadays there's just this giant buzz and even the '40' chant is always shortlived. People expect encores to happen and after the 2nd they pack up and go home. Back then we felt an encore was something we fans deserved if we just made enough of the right kind of noise in order to call the band back. I once attended a concert of the Jeff Healey band and we called the band back for 5 encores. David Bowie was once called back for 9 encores, three times being recalled from his car.

STAY AND MAKE SOME FRIGGIN' NOISE, YOU LAZY BUMS!!!!!!

I suppose as people have already said on this thread it reflects casual fans being at the concerts - but in fairness newer fans possibly wouldn't be that familiar with the song.

I think people stop singing at first because the other band members walk off the stage and it seems as if the concert is over then Larry does one more big drum bit and he walks off too. But in reality the crowd is really singing along and alone for awhile. I was at Anah.1 and SJ 1.

they won't be able to stop me from singing it Wednesday night. I've been waiting 17 years to sing this song again!

Hey I am over 40 ....
Seriously by 6 yrs. when I met Edge JT tour 87 (4 Seasons) Boston he was surprised to find his peers were also fans.

But regarding the song it is a fitting closer.
People get loud Give back to the Band that just gave you a lifelong memory.

Trust me we will in Boston, not that it makes a better audience, it makes a better experience in my opinion.

40 is the ultimate closer. Anyone who suggests it should be elsewhere is on crack, and not the blue variety.

And if the audience aren't singing along, they need a swift kick up the arse.

Anaheim #1 went on strong for a good 5+ minutes after 40, then the lights came on so I'm not so sure about any future encore...

One local paper wrote that the band actually left The Pond in those few moments right after 40.... ????

When U2 gets to the Northeast it will be a different story. Crowds there put a lot more into getting an encore. There's a bit of complacency out here. This is a generalization, but you won't hear "40" trailing off 30 seconds after Bono's leaves in Chicago, NY, or Boston.

Having said that, Phoenix crowds were strong during Elevation. If U2 closes with 40 I'll be keep this thread in mind and see how they/we perform.

One last thought: A lot of video makes people passive. There was much less in the old days. Maybe some folks subconciously fall into the "TV entertain me" thing. ...And of course, when the screen (stops changing) says it's over...

David

I don't know what it is either...

While the LA2 concert I went to was a good one, I listened to it later and was stunned by how quiet the audience seemed.

My section (which was lower level, right across from the stage) was rockin' (everyone, including myself, was singing along and dancing the entire time), but I remember points in the concert when Bono had to sort of keep the audience singing... (during Pride and/or SBS, I believe). I remember it because it bothered me - I don't understand how you wouldn't want to sing along...

Now, I know the recording does cut out some of the audience participation (I was there, afterall, and people were singing), but if you listen carefully, it's obvious that the audience gets louder on the choruses of their better known songs. When 'the Ocean' came on, it got eerily quiet, which tells me that a lot of those there perhaps only knew the "bigger" songs... Yeah, it's not exactly a crowd-rousing song, but still... You could tell people didn't know the words to 40, even.

Regarding 40, specifically. I think it is a bit odd with everyone walking off stage... I don't know if people get what's going on... Larry pauses before beginning his solo and I think that throws people off -- singing '40' while he's jammin'? While no one is on stage?

It was a bit awkward... When he walked off, some were still singing, but people were busy cheering and applauding...

The house lights coming on quickly didn't help matters, either...

I'm not saying it's an excuse, but it might be part of it...

Of course, I don't have anything to compare it to (it was my first show), but, I think the recording doesn't exactly do the concert justice...

Plus, while the audience might not have been singing (for whatever reason), everyone whipped out there cell phones when Bono asked, laughed when he talked about the Pope, stood up, and danced, so I don't think it was audience apathy or anything...

I just don't know why they wouldn't sing more enthusiastically....

Ok, I don't think that made anything any clearer... :/

I was at LA2 as well.. I was singing for as long as I could, but my voice was just gone. I am excited for SLC. The people here are just loud! The last tour Collective Soul did here we got them out for 3 encores. It pissed off Ross Childress it seemed, so Ed Roland did the final song with the lights up, everyone rushing the floor, solo. It was really cool. I think the SLC fans have what it takes to keep going. I just hope they do. I think lots of times we all figure these bands are far to big to care about coming back out so we give up. It's all about not giving up that hope that you can get another encore!

Opening night during "40" was an awesome listing experience. I think that opening night had the real U2 fans and that now that the shows are progessing, it is either just teh causual fans etc.

Lucky for us Europeans the percentage of die-hard U2 fans is bigger due to the stadium shows... And since die-hard U2 fans mostly have GA tickets and wánt to be up front the 40 singing will be more impressive in Europe... (And before the US fans start flaming me, just saying that more people make more noise)

Oh, one more thing; Most people who don't know the song will most likely leave the venue as they think the show is over (lights out, screens on black, 2 hour show done)...

Last edited:
yeah the stadium shows will rock!!!

besides, didn't the audience sing 40 for like 10 minutes in phoenix? i read that in review on www.u2tours.com

Time is an issue - I know Boston has an 11 PM curfew so regardless of how long the audience carries the song the band/venue will be fined if they go beyond 11PM.

Axver said:
40 is the ultimate closer. Anyone who suggests it should be elsewhere is on crack, and not the blue variety.

And if the audience aren't singing along, they need a swift kick up the arse.

I agree with these thoughts, it's the ultimate closer.

Not that many out here will care much, but I am curious how 40 will unfold as a closer here in Omaha. First time in this city, older, historical song -- maybe Willie can drop the lyrics to 40 up on the light curtains so folks can sing along?

Otherwise, my hunch is that it'll be about half the ellipse folks singing along and fans that know 40 sprinkled throughout the arena trying to keep it going -- I doubt it will last that long, but I could be wrong.

For 40 alone, I wish I could hit Boston or Chicago.

That is true for a lot of arenas, but what is a measly fine like that to U2? I saw Pearl Jam in Buffalo and it was getting close to the arena curfew time and Vedder said "fuck it, stone (the guitarist) offered to pay the fine." I know not every band can play as long as Pearl Jam does every night, but it would be great to see an extra song or two if the crowd was really into it.

Last edited:
I was singing '40' in the streets after SJ1, but most people were just walking to their cars.
But we had this most amazing thing on Saturday in SJ--this stunningly good U2 tribute band played til 130am just a few blocks from the arena. 'Zoo Station' played some hits but also superb versions of songs we're not likely to hear at a U2 concert soon, like God Part ii, Surrender, stuff off Zooropa.
Let's hope the singing goes on long and hard in Chicago.
love & peace or else,
Anu

Back
Top Bottom