kanye west opening for u2 .... why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ZeroDude said:

However I like Kanye West and find him to be a force for good within the Hip Hop community the majority of which is currently regurgitating the themes that are responsible for my dislike of 80's Hair Metal, Kanye seems to have an interest in serious issues and understands music can influence peoples opinions although his outburst on that certain relief show is something that reeks of trying to rekindle an archaic argument akin to myself going on about how the British have mistreated Irish people in the past, all in all I'm happy enough if he opens, there are so many worse acts that could be brought in as openers other than Mr. West...........

:crack: All those periods at the end of that sentence, yet none in the middle of it.

[/punctuation geek]

They should get The Alarm to open for them again, those guys were pretty good...

...unless of course they've gotten all fat and sclerotic, in which case I think U2 should hire a mime.

martha said:

:crack: All those periods at the end of that sentence, yet none in the middle of it.

[/punctuation geek]

Arrrrrrrrrrrr, ah well I'm not too concerned about correct grammar:wink:

Guys I am embarressed to be a U2 fan with some of the narrow minded idiots on here, Kanye is a breath of fresh air, I am shocked fellow U2 fans have not learnt anything from the years we have been listening to the band that narrow minded bigotry is bull shti.

There is obvioulsy a lot of mutual respect between him and U2 or he would not have been asked by U2 to open for them. This is why I continue to love U2 they never go for the easy option and they still after all these years have their finger on the pulse musically and politically. Well done Bono and the boys.

Gabster, FYI, it's still rumor at this point. There has been nothing official about Kanye opening for U2, so we don't know if U2 asked him to open for them.

corianderstem said:
Gabster, FYI, it's still rumor at this point. There has been nothing official about Kanye opening for U2, so we don't know if U2 asked him to open for them.

Other than the headline on U2.com regarding the openers:

From Patti Smith to Kayne West

Lowdown on very cool line-up of acts playing with U2 in the next few months.

Rest here:

http://www.u2.com/news/index.php?mode=full&news_id=1695

Oh, for real? Sorry, I hadn't heard anything about it being official (obviously). Thanks for the link!

I'm glad I'll get to see him in Portland.

Face it people here would only be happy if U2 opened for U2. Anything after the release of Achtung Baby would be in the opening act for people here and Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire and War would be the main act....people here have a very narrow mind when it comes to music in general.

looks like ill be seeign kanye in st louis

The Grammy Winning producer and rapper from Chicago, whose most recent release is 'Late Registration', is set to perform with U2 in St Louis (December 14th), Omaha (December 15th), Salt Lake City (December 17th) and Portland (December 19th).

should be interesting

Yahweh said:
Face it people here would only be happy if U2 opened for U2. Anything after the release of Achtung Baby would be in the opening act for people here and Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree, Unforgettable Fire and War would be the main act....people here have a very narrow mind when it comes to music in general.

:lol:

The only reason I don't want Porcupine Tree to open for U2 is because they'd blow U2 off the stage.

The Chills opening for U2 would be perfect, but of course, the odds of anyone else here actually knowing who they are is really slim.

Gabster2004 said:
Guys I am embarressed to be a U2 fan with some of the narrow minded idiots on here, Kanye is a breath of fresh air, I am shocked fellow U2 fans have not learnt anything from the years we have been listening to the band that narrow minded bigotry is bull shti.

There is obvioulsy a lot of mutual respect between him and U2 or he would not have been asked by U2 to open for them. This is why I continue to love U2 they never go for the easy option and they still after all these years have their finger on the pulse musically and politically. Well done Bono and the boys.

This is the most intelligent thing I've read on interference in a long time. Thanks Gabster....you brightened my day.

corianderstem said:
U2wedge, I think we're just going to have to disagree on the Kanye West thing. I've kind of hit the wall with all of this and just can't argue it anymore, but I respect your opinion.

All I'm saying about Kanye is he made a poor choice in the timing of his comments. He could be the best thing to come to the rap community, but what I saw was someone who was not making the situation better, he was blowing on the flames. Based on that choice, he's lost my interest in discovering his music. Who knows, maybe it's MY loss? I'll take my chances.

And for those of you who keep on referencing institutional racism, let's not forget that gangsta rap and derivatives of it is probably the single most influential institution there is in this whole equation (and sure there are a lot of flavors of rap, but what gets most airplay is most relevant here as that's what is listened to most...). Let's count how many rap artists have been gunned down in the industry. And to my knowledge they're all black on black crimes. Does rap typically endorse strong personal moral accountability?

There is justifiable anger within the black community, for sure, but there is also a responsibility to look forward and work together to solve the problem. The situation in New Orleans is incorrectly being framed as a racial issue. The mayor and police chief are both African American and had the responsibility of ensuring that their disaster plans were adequate. This was not an issue of white vs. black. The only crime I see is the complete failure of those guys to have a plan to cope with a disaster of this scale. And I'm not even sure if ANY plan would have worked. And besides, If the military had assets in the immediate region, it's very likely that they would have been wiped out too. And let's not even begin with the LA. governor... I'm not sure what her deal is...

My final statement...

Kanye has a right to play the race card as a matter of free speech on a normal day, but what he did on the relief benefit was tantamount to him crying 'fire' in a crowded theater. Any 1st amendment expert will tell you that is not covered under free speech rights.

You know who I DID discover out of this whole thing? Chris Thomas King. That song he wrote, "What Would Jesus Do?" was amazing in my opinion... and I'm not a religious person... so don't snap back saying I'm narrow minded... level headed, yes. Narrow minded, no. And I respect your opinion, too.

"Standing outside of Walgreen's with a stone in my hand. I asked myself, 'Would Jesus understand?'."

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

Kanye has a right to play the race card as a matter of free speech on a normal day, but what he did on the relief benefit was tantamount to him crying 'fire' in a crowded theater. Any 1st amendment expert will tell you that is not covered under free speech rights.

Oh come on!
That is just rediculous. What Mr. West said was wholly covered by the first Amendment. To suggest otherwise is to support censorship. :tsk:
Please tell me that was tongue in cheek. :| :| :|

WildHoneyAlways said:

Oh come on!
That is just rediculous. What Mr. West said was wholly covered by the first Amendment. To suggest otherwise is to support censorship. :tsk:
Please tell me that was tongue in cheek. :| :| :|

Yes, what he said is covered under the 1st Amendment.

I was trying to explain that he should have just waited until another time other than in the middle of a non-political benefit and at a time when cooler heads could prevail.

I stand by my opinion that what he did was completely irresponsible given the severity of the crisis at hand.

To call George Bush a bigot was just indefensible and in no part was aimed at making the situation better, how could it? And like I said earlier, I am not a George Bush fan.

My only opinion is he made a bad choice in timing.

Last edited:
u2wedge said:

I stand by my opinion that what he did was completely irresponsible given the severity of the crisis at hand.

Irresponsible? Or just poorly-timed? There is a difference.

Was anyone injured as a result of his one single line that echoed the sentiments of people across the country, white and black? That would be irresponsible.

Poorly-timed and poorly though-through might be a more accurate indictment.

I'm glad to see that you back-pedaled on the unConstitutional part.

And your references to rap and crime might betray a different motive for your criticism of what Kanye said. Did he hit a nerve you didn't know was so raw within you?

martha said:

Irresponsible? Or just poorly-timed? There is a difference.

Was anyone injured as a result of his one single line that echoed the sentiments of people across the country, white and black? That would be irresponsible.

Poorly-timed and poorly though-through might be a more accurate indictment.

I'm glad to see that you back-pedaled on the unConstitutional part.

And your references to rap and crime might betray a different motive for your criticism of what Kanye said. Did he hit a nerve you didn't know was so raw within you?

Both. By irresponsible I'm referring to the possibility of someone not donating based on his comments, and I suppose by extension if someone died or whose injuries lasted longer as a result of supplies not being available that that money could have bought, then yes, I would say that was the case. He should have helped calm any unrest or anger by promoting unity in a time of crisis, that's all I'm saying. There is a time and a place for his point of view, but again, in the middle of a relief concert was not it. So it was untimely AND irresponsible, IMHO. I'd have more respect for him if he said something like, "Now I know that a lot of people are going to have questions as to why the response has taken so long. There will be a lot of time to hold the government responsible and ask tough questions, but right now we need to take care of each other, so donate now." Why he thought calling Bush a bigot was going to bring in all sorts of donations is a question for the ages.

I am a big rap fan. I've listened to rap going back to the early days of Run DMC through Coolio to Snoop. That doesn't change my opinion of the culture it helps perpetuate. Rap music is as much of an institution in the 'hood' as schools are in the 'burbs', whether you want to admit it or not.

Would you expect someone to say during the Jerry Lewis telethon that MD is pretty much incurable and Jerry Lewis really doesn't care about MD victims? That would be irresponsible, right? I mean, if anyone says anything during a fund raising event that is focusing on anything other than raising money for that event, they are irresponsible at best. Kanye did a disservice to the evacuees who are counting on those donations and to the others who are busting their butts trying to raise money.

Last edited:
Kanye West would not be a concert I would go to on my own so I'm going into this with an open mind - The couple of songs I do know of his I do like so it might be a good time

of course I probably will be spending most of the opening act defrosting myself from spending the day outside waiting in the GA line in St Louis - in December:|

I seriously doubt people wouldn't donate to the Red Cross or Salvation Army b/c of something Kanye West said. :rolleyes:
That makes no sense at all.

That doesn't change my opinion of the culture it helps perpetuate. Rap music is as much of an institution in the 'hood' as schools are in the 'burbs', whether you want to admit it or not.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

Not sure what the point is, either, but rap music is an institution in the 'burbs. White teens constitute a HUGE percentage of rap/hip hop music.

And no, I don't have figures to back that up. But if you didn't already know that, you haven't been paying attention.

WildHoneyAlways said:
I seriously doubt people wouldn't donate to the Red Cross or Salvation Army b/c of something Kanye West said. :rolleyes:
That makes no sense at all.

What exactly are you trying to say here?

People were mentioning institutionalized racism. I was just pointing out that rap music was one of those institutions.

And I agree that rap music is big in the 'burbs, I did state that I listen to rap and I am in the 'burbs.

That doesn't change my stance on Kanye's irresponsibility given the circumstances.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really had no point in bringing up the thing about white teens and rap. I'm just kind of pointless tonight.

And a little bored.

:| :wink:

The assumptions you're making are mind-boggling.

u2wedge said:
By irresponsible I'm referring to the possibility of someone not donating based on his comments, and I suppose by extension if someone died or whose injuries lasted longer as a result of supplies not being available that that money could have bought, then yes, I would say that was the case.
You really think that people would not donate money to the Red Cross because Kanye West got emotional and said something of questionable taste? It seems to me that if people would allow that to influence their generosity at a time like this, they have deeper problems than we all want to think about.

u2wedge said:
He should have helped calm any unrest or anger by promoting unity in a time of crisis, that's all I'm saying. There is a time and a place for his point of view, but again, in the middle of a relief concert was not it. So it was untimely AND irresponsible, IMHO. I'd have more respect for him if he said something like, "Now I know that a lot of people are going to have questions as to why the response has taken so long. There will be a lot of time to hold the government responsible and ask tough questions, but right now we need to take care of each other, so donate now." Why he thought calling Bush a bigot was going to bring in all sorts of donations is a question for the ages.
But what you wanted him to say wasn't what he meant. He saw people in deep pain, in dire circumstances. He reacted.

u2wedge said:
Rap music is as much of an institution in the 'hood' as schools are in the 'burbs', whether you want to admit it or not.
I don't want to think about what you may mean by a comment such as this. Perhaps you are a bigger part of the problem Kanye was talking about than you want to admit.

u2wedge said:

Would you expect someone to say during the Jerry Lewis telethon that MD is pretty much incurable and Jerry Lewis really doesn't care about MD victims? That would be irresponsible, right?
How do you equate Jerry Lewis, the sponsor of the telethon, to Bush, NOT the sponsor of the telethon? :scratch:

You're making tremendous leaps and assumptions to back up your claims. You know, you can be pissed and annoyed by Kanye's comments without resorting to elaborate arguements that don't make sense. It's ok to just be annoyed and pissed. Kanye was. :wink:

martha said:
The assumptions you're making are mind-boggling.

You really think that people would not donate money to the Red Cross because Kanye West got emotional and said something of questionable taste? It seems to me that if people would allow that to influence their generosity at a time like this, they have deeper problems than we all want to think about.

But what you wanted him to say wasn't what he meant. He saw people in deep pain, in dire circumstances. He reacted.

I don't want to think about what you may mean by a comment such as this. Perhaps you are a bigger part of the problem Kanye was talking about than you want to admit.

How do you equate Jerry Lewis, the sponsor of the telethon, to Bush, NOT the sponsor of the telethon? :scratch:

You're making tremendous leaps and assumptions to back up your claims. You know, you can be pissed and annoyed by Kanye's comments without resorting to elaborate arguements that don't make sense. It's ok to just be annoyed and pissed. Kanye was. :wink:

Tell me Kanye was responsible. Is that what you believe? In your heart of hearts you think that what he said was the correct thing at the correct time?

If so I respectfully disagree, that's all I'm saying. We're having a conversation here, don't start insinuating I have racist blood, that's not the level we're at here. It's difficult to talk about race issues in this format without using the terms associated with the issues. Using 'hood and 'burbs does not a racist make.

Do I think that someone may not have donated because of what Kanye said? Literally, no, I'm not that stupid. But how many people changed the channel? How many people did not change the channel and got into debates such as this in their living room and missed the rest of the program? I'm sure some people called their neighbor and said, did you just see Kanye and then tuned in. Your opinion that no one was dissuaded to donate based on his comments is just as arguable as mine saying that some were dissuaded. And I know what I wanted him to say isn't what he meant (obviously?). I was just saying that would have been a responsible response. Remember, we're talking about the responsibility of his comments. If he isn't helping the cause he's being irresponsible, that's the standard that has to be met or refuted in this argument. If you think otherwise, give me your opinion.

Tell me that rap music is not the dominant music listened to by the black youth community in low income neighborhoods. I think that's common knowledge and my stating that fact does not make me 'part of the problem', that makes me 'aware of the problem'.

I wasn't comparing Jerry Lewis to George Bush. I was illustrating that it would be just as irresponsible for someone to say what I posted in that context, as it was for what was said in the Kanye context. Two different contexts. Same irresponsibility. Subsititue anyone who appeared on the MDA telethon if you don't like the Jerry Lewis reference. Same point can be made.

Everyone else saw people in great pain and in dire circumstances, and no one else 'responded' like Kanye (on the TV show.. :wink: . Actually, there is a difference between responding and reacting. Responding requires comprehension and reason. Reacting is strictly emotional. I'm trying to respond via this post, where many who disagree with me just react and dispute without backing up their statements.

I want to hear where you are on this issue. Are you in the Kanye was responsible or irresponsible camp for calling George Bush a bigot on national TV? It's got to be one or the other. I don't want to assume you agree with Kanye if you don't.

And I'm asking that in the most intellectually positive way, I'm not trying to turn this into a hostile argument. I want to hear what your position is. Give it a shot.

I wouldn't take the time to post about this topic if I didn't have a genuine interest in the issue, BTW.

:wave:

Last edited:
I didn't watch the show, I don't really care what Kanye said at all, I think you're way over-reacting to what he said, I doubt sincerely that anybody called their neighbors and discussed it, and I don't know why you're so wadded up over this. Are you looking for someone to blame for something? The whole thing is over. It wasn't even that big a deal the next day, really.

Back
Top Bottom