MERGED --> SAN JOSE 4/10 Pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bratty_cat

War Child
SAN JOSE 4/10 - Front row and center!

Want to begin by saying that my expectations for a great spot at the Sunday show were not that high because I was on the front rail of the ellipse on Saturday night and had an amazing time. Getting in to the arena was a breeze and Bono even took my friend Suzanne's camera, took a picture of us and then one of himself before tossing it back (bummer, but neither came out). Didn't think I could get luckier.

Sunday, I brought my friend Tri to the show. I've been a U2 fan since '85 and Tri has come with me to at least one show of every tour since Joshua Tree, including the free SF show in '87. I was excited to have her experience the band up close and intimate via GA so we got to the arena early in the morning to get our wrist bands. We then drove back to the city, each did our own thing and then drove back down in the afternoon. Unfortunately the admission process did not run as smoothly on Sunday and it was a bit of a scene to get in (I was about 30 back in the fan club line but doors opened late and by that time fan and non-fan lines had merged into one big mob trying to squeeze through three doors).

I finally got my ticket scanned and saw the "proceed to floor" message so was anxious for Tri to hurry up and get hers scanned so we could find a decent spot one or two back from the outside of the ellipse. She handed over her ticket and there was a split second when the screen displayed no message but then the U2 Vertigo message popped up! We started jumping up and down and ran over to get our new wrist bands. Then we walked out to the line to enter the ellipse where we were only the 2nd group of two waiting to get in! When they let us in, we ran in and stood at the front rail, right in front of where Bono would be! I think we were both in shock cause all we could do was look at each other and just laugh. Then we called my friend who had been at the show with me the night before to tell her. My hands were shaking and I could barely dial the number!

KOL were great, they are so cute, young and super-skinny that they look like little kids but they really rock! After they played, my cousin, who was up in the top tier, called to tell me he could see us on the screen. He couldn't believe where we were (neither could we).

U2 came on with L&POE and I was freaking out (was really hoping to see this as an opener), Adam, Edge and Larry were so close! When Bono came over I just lost it, again not believing our good fortune!

In the middle of Electric Co, Bono looks at me and touches his lips. I looked at him with a "huh, me, what?" expression on my face. He then ran his finger around his lips and I thought, 'is he telling me that my lipstick is smeared or that it's on my teeth' (my friends all tease me cause I wear lipstick all the time and am anal about it being perfect but even thinking that Bono would take time out of a live show to point out a problem out shows you how insane this whole front-row situation had made me)? Then he mouths the word "lipstick" so I frantically reach into my pocket for my lipstick, pull the cap off and roll it up so it's ready for application (Tri tells me I did this lightening fast but I was on auto-pilot at this point, only focused on B's eyes). I hand it to him and he begins putting my Clinique Berry Fusion ON HIS LIPS!!! When we see this, Tri and I are in total shock. He makes some kind of comment like, "well, this is the place for it" and then tosses the lipstick back to me and goes into the "Bring in the Clowns" segment during Electric Co. Crazy!

That just brought the whole show to another level for me and we were both in a super-happy, frantic U2 daze for the rest of it (even despite the drunk, irritating girls right behind us). Such a great concert, so much energy (crowd and band) and the first time we hear OOTS live! I'm still high from the experience...UNBELIEVABLE!

Hoping at least some of the pictures came out cause I brought in the crappiest disposable camera, never thinking I'd get anywhere close enough to take decent pictures.

Other high points from my vantage point:
1. Seeing Larry smile throughout the show, especially at B's comments cause he always looks so serious when he plays
2. Edge coming to the edge of the stage to jam looking perfect
3. Adam Clayton not even breaking a sweat (always the cool one)
4. The, very unbuttoned, hot chest-exposing red shirt that Bono put on at the end (which, unlike Adam's was drenched in sweat in about 2 minutes)

What a night!

EPandAmerica said:
:faint: That is so cool!

*edit to ask: What time did you go through the line?

Do you mean, how long did it take for us to get through the line and into the venue?

If so, was probably about 6 or 7 minutes to get through the door and have our tickets scanned (felt like forever but may have been less -- it was enough time that every spot along the outside rail of the ellipse was taken). On Saturday, I got in quicker and we got a great spot to the right of center on the outer ellipse rail. I noticed that the ellipse took a long time to fill up and never thought I'd be one of the lucky ones.

that's a great story- i love that bono put on lipstick! always pushing the envelope... :up: and congrats on getting into the ellipse- that is my dream for this tour! :)

btw, not sure if you saw this in the other thread, but this is a photo from the 4/9 show. it looks like bono is reaching for something in the audience- could this be your friend's camera?

d182c0e2.jpg

*Ally* said:
that's a great story- i love that bono put on lipstick! always pushing the envelope... :up: and congrats on getting into the ellipse- that is my dream for this tour! :)

btw, not sure if you saw this in the other thread, but this is a photo from the 4/9 show. it looks like bono is reaching for something in the audience- could this be your friend's camera?

d182c0e2.jpg

YES! That's it. You can't see her cause all the hands are in front of her face but that's my face on the right, above the security guy's arm! This was during City...!

bratty_cat said:

YES! That's it. You can't see her cause all the hands are in front of her face but that's my face on the right, above the security guy's arm! This was during City...!

cool! :) (thanks to kellyahern for posting this pic in Pleba...)

ramblin rose said:
Fantastic story!!. I have to ask.....are you putting that lipstick in a glass case?

I am in the process of erecting a shrine to it! It was a brand-new tube too (so nice and fresh for the B-man).

Wow!!! That was you and the lipstick. My husband and I were talking about that on our drive home today. For some reason he missed that whole part. So, when I read your post I had to call him and read it to him. Really cool.

bratty_cat said:

I was the dude standing next to you, when he took your camera--the guy in the Cal-Berkeley sweatshirt. Congrats on 2 encounters with Bono in 2 nights!

That's me in the photo, above the security guy's head and below Bono's thigh (man that sounds terrible). :wink:

LyricalDrug said:

I was the dude standing next to you, when he took your camera--the guy in the Cal-Berkeley sweatshirt. Congrats on 2 encounters with Bono in 2 nights!

Thanks, I remember you! Saturday's show was great too. I had a little run of luck this past weekend, should have played the lotto.

LyricalDrug said:

That's me in the photo, above the security guy's head and below Bono's thigh (man that sounds terrible). :wink:

:laugh:
Don't worry, we're in the 'enlightened' bay area where no one looks twice at that type of thing.

I was right there too!!! I must have been 2-3 people over.

we need to find pics that can show the positional relationship between ppla t this show!

btw I believe bono said " we're in the bay area" when he put on the lipstick

Awesome!! Looks like you were in the same area I was for San Jose 1 !

Sicy, I was looking at your pics and we almost have the same one with the Boy album cover on the screen and Edge ripping on his Les Paul Custom. Kind of freaky. I guess great minds think alike. :D

romi said:
you weren't atthe band's hotel before the show, were you?

No I wasn't. I take it you were. I've given up on trying to meet them. I'm always "a day late and dollar short" everytime I try so oh well. Did you get to meet them?

OffAxis said:
Sicy, I was looking at your pics and we almost have the same one with the Boy album cover on the screen and Edge ripping on his Les Paul Custom. Kind of freaky. I guess great minds think alike. :D

Haha that's cool.. you have to post it!

Well I thought my second pic up there was similar to this one...

16867boyedge.jpg

Photo by Sicy

I guess it wasn't quite as similar as I thought, but it's close. Almost like a few frames later if it was a video.

Oh my bad.. didnt even notice the boy in the corner! You are right though they are similar!

Great looking pics btw.. did you use a digital?

Thanks! Yeah it was all digital, but I was playing with the settings all the time b/c I didn't know what would happen. I got luck a few times. I actually have one blurry picture of Edge during COBL that reminds me of some of the blurry color stuff Cobjin has done with them. I'll have to post that one too.

I've actually been cheating a bit too and started Photoshopping some of the pics. Actually I've been using Macromedia Fireworks, but no one knows that program yet. The ones I posted are all original, but I took the one with Edge, Bono and Larry in a line and cleaned it up a lot (took out the Exit sign, some of the random lights in the stands, the lights from the "underworld" etc.) and it looks sweet. I know it's cheating a bit, but it makes it look so cool when all that stuff is blacked out. I just looks a lot cleaner. Once I change all of them I'll post them. It's actually good practice to learn Fireworks.

OffAxis said:

No I wasn't. I take it you were. I've given up on trying to meet them. I'm always "a day late and dollar short" everytime I try so oh well. Did you get to meet them?

Adam came out for five minutes. I spoke with him, tried to get a photo with him, but the person taking the photo didn't push the right button. Another guy took a photo, and then said he would email me. So far, I haven't heard anything:) If you this guy, Andy, let me know;)

I like your photos, by the way.

Great pictures OffAxis. The second show (as is usual with U2) was incredible. Both shows saw the band playing as tight as I've ever seen them, and Bono's voice is just amazing right now. "Electric Co." rocked both nights!

Back
Top Bottom