MERGED-->March 28, San Diego Sports Arena

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank heavens you were able to be with your wife....despite the circumstances. Looks like you ran the gamut of emotions. What a story!

Thanks for the detailed review cmb. I'm quite sure that the whole ticket system will be tweaked over the next several shows to make sure that the fans are happy and that the band is happy. It's tough I'm sure for them to enjoy playing when they don't have that energy of real fans right down in front. And I'm sure this was discussed at length after the show. That's one of the cons of attending one of the 1st shows of a tour. I attended the 1st and 2nd Miami shows for Elevation and I had seats (I have GA's for both shows on this tour) but I'm sure that there were issues with GA. Bottom line..I'm sure they'll work it out within the next week or 2...so I wouldn't give up my GA's yet if I were you.

It's really unfortunate that you didn't relay your frustration about the lotter to Paul McG. I think he, of all people, needed to hear it.

I'm not a fan of this lottery either. U2 kept this ellipse as the heart worked so well on the last tour. Therefore, I think they should also let the fans decide who gets into the ellipse and where. If someone wants to wait out all night, so be it. Why should U2 care? I have GA's for 3 shows - including one in Ireland. And I'll be very disappointed if I'm stuck somewhere near the back of the floor because of this ridiculous lottery.

My intentions regarding GA is to wing it I think. I don't see the point in waiting too long so a magical beeper can decide to beep you into the heart. Personally, if I get in there, great! If not, I'll hang back a bit and enjoy from the sound desk area. I want to have the space and avoid the shoving. Most of all, know that my wife and I are safe and together.

i bet they'll change the whole Beeping business before long ... do the lottery around 3 PM at least!! allow fans at least some control on getting into the ellipse

Great review gregvernon. It's like I was actually there. So nice to get away from some of the negative stuff floating around here. We love you U2!!!

I wanted to tell him my frustrations, but like I said before, all the intentions in the world melted when I looked eye to eye with the fifth member of U2 and was going to tell him in his elipse that it wasn't working.

Mostly I think the balance was off because of the extreme amount of VIPS, Guests, etc., that had access to the elipse.

I also forgot to add that I waited out after the show to see if I could see them, but there were so many I figured that they would only wave from a car window and it wasn't worth waiting hours for. Needless to say about 1:45 I was heading north on the 5 and was being tailgated. I moved to the far right lane, and sure enough two blacked out Lincoln Towncares go flying past me.

Great...first I don't get in the elipse and then Adam and Larry are tailgating me through Del Mar. :wink:

Thanks!!!! It's so cool to share thoughts with other U2 fans-- I can't wait to read what other cities have to say & hear how they change up the set list...

The return stints in 1987 and again in 2001 were such emotional highs for different reasons- in 1987, U2 had just been crowned "The biggest band in the world," and in 2001 it was post-9/11. For a first-swing show I can say last night was easily my favorite. Bodes well for the return trek this fall, yes?

Possibly San Diego 2, Denver 1 and 2...am going to wait to see how the third leg shakes down. They would have to be pretty good seats...first 1 or 2 sections right beside the stage.

But, I will post in the What Do You Want Section so as not to turn this into a trading post.

Can you comment on what the view/distance is like if you are unable to get in the elipse but have ga? Im looking for some feedback on that and I can't find any...

xmarcx said:
Can you comment on what the view/distance is like if you are unable to get in the elipse but have ga? Im looking for some feedback on that and I can't find any...

This is exactly the crux of the situation in regards to the elipse. If you get the elipse its great, but you don't know until you are at the door...so many will line up to get the best possible spot outside the elipse assuming the worst that they won't get in. I was in the front part of the line to get in the door, but by the time I got in, there were many many people in those prime spots. Anywhere from 3 to 9 people deep depending on where you chose (sides or center). In order to see over these people (if you are shorter or your partner is shorter...my wife is 5'8" and couldn't see) you need to retreat to the back of the floor where the sound desk is. You can certainly see from all parts of the floor, but the variable is how tall you are. In addition, how willing you are to defend your spot. Pushing was extreme at points, but this is I am sure different in every single case.

The view from the back is ok, its far...but you do see the whole context of the show. If you are used to being close (i.e. in the heart on Elevation) you will feel unattached and almost uninvolved in the show. If this is your first GA show, you will think you are in heaven.

It is really your personal history with shows and such that will dictate your perception. It was not something that we wanted, so we tried our best to change it (and were very lucky that we did) I do not think there will be as much letting people in the elipse after the show starts once they figure out the correct ratio and formula to fill it effectively every night. This will happen, and happen soon.

I personally would prefer seats on the sides to GA in the back of the floor. The energy level is similar, but at least in seat you can see better. Hope this helps.

Ugh, looks like the odds are better for fan club members...........there was no GA presale for the second SJ show, unfortunately, and I left my damn keychain at home.........I guess the best I can do is show that the "FAN" label is on my ticket for the previous night......

Well I never had GA on my 3 elevation shows, so I guess I ll fall into the category of being in heaven either way--but damn I hope one of my 2 gas I get in the elipse!

Thanks that does help...

I was there last night as well. I won't go into a lengthy review because I know I can't top any of the others but I will hit on a few points.

1. For those of you who seemed disapointed that they played such "overplayed songs", such as New Years Day, and Pride, let me just say that they both moved the crowed more than I could have imagined, and their energy on those songs were spectacular.

2. The 3 song encore start of Pride, Streets, and One will be something I remember forever. Especially how Bono let the crowd sing the first few lines of One, without out him. It was mind blowing.

3. And last, Love and Peace was worth the wait and the price of admission all by itself. This song will be a staple in the live show's for the rest of their career. I'm still speechless.

The energy was amazing for what seemend such a small venue. I can't wait to see them at the pond and at Staples

Sean

Great review. Too bad the whole experience wasn't more positive for you and your wife. I mentioned this dead ellipse atmosphere to my sister yesterday. If you don't reward the hardcore fans who sacrifice holiday time, huge amounts of money of flights, hotels,etc. with an true opportunity to enter the ellipse, then you might end up with a casual ellipse like you mentioned which is probably the opposite of what the band intended. New faces don't mean new energy.

Hopefully, they will work out all the bugs after a few shows. Especially, separating friends and couples which I think is rather harsh. I know I wouldn't want to choose between 2 friends as to who gets to go the ellipse with me.

In any case, still looking forward to the Vancouver shows.

Thanks for the report. My tickets say B-FAN. Should I be worried? They were pre-sale tickets.

I don't think the random selection is a bad idea. I'm a hardcore fan and would love to get in the ellipse and I would be willing to get there the night before, but I can understand why the band would want a random selection. It's true new faces don't necessarily mean new energy, but I'm sure they get tired of seeing the same people. There are hundreds of hardcore fans at every show, more than could fit in the ellipse. They don't want the same thing to occur that happened during the Elevation tour where people would actually leave early to get in line for the next concert the next day. Everyone deserves to experience to get in the egg, but there should be a screening process like being able to name all the albums, sing the lyrics to A Celebration and 11 O'clock tick tock while tapping the bass rhythm to Mofo.

Last edited:
I am not 100% against the idea of a lottery, not just this kind of lottery. I understand the band's goal of not wanting the same faces every night and giving everyone a chance, but this system equally rewards people who actually show up at 8pm than those who show up at 6am.

I think if they REALLY want to do a lottery (and I still personally prefer first-come first-serve), they should do a 'regular' lottery, where wristbands/numbers are given out in the morning in either a limited amount or until a certain time in the afternoon. Then at about 4 or 5pm ONE number is picked up, and it becomes the first number, then everyone lines up in order behind.

This system has the following advantages (compared to the current one):

1. Groups are not split-up. If ever the number picked up splits a group of less than 4 people, security can just let them go together.

2. It wil prevent crazy lining up (like the night before), because it will make no difference if you are there at 6am or 2pm in terms of your spot in line. (which the current system does not)

3. People can choose whether they want to go into the ellipse or not.

4. If the numbers are limited (in amount or in time), they will still mostly go to relatively dedicated fans. You don't have to show up too early in the morning, but people who don't really care and got tickets because of connections (and that is a LOT of people, believe me, including in GA) and only show up during the opening act will not end up in the ellipse instead of fans.

5. It gives a better chance to more people to get up close, and the band will not see the same faces every night.

As for U2.com member preferences, I'm not sure there is any fair way to deal with that, so I would just screw the idea.

Everyone could tell LAPOE would kick live. Would the San Diego concert goers say it was the best HTDAAB track done live?

This band's catalogue is way too big. No songs from R&H, Zooropa or Pop the first night. And only one song off of UF. That's almost four albums worth of materials untapped. No wonder they've been practicing so many songs...other bands would kill to have access to so much amazing material.

oceane said:
I am not 100% against the idea of a lottery, not just this kind of lottery. I understand the band's goal of not wanting the same faces every night and giving everyone a chance, but this system equally rewards people who actually show up at 8pm than those who show up at 6am.

I think if they REALLY want to do a lottery (and I still personally prefer first-come first-serve), they should do a 'regular' lottery, where wristbands/numbers are given out in the morning in either a limited amount or until a certain time in the afternoon. Then at about 4 or 5pm ONE number is picked up, and it becomes the first number, then everyone lines up in order behind.

This system has the following advantages (compared to the current one):

1. Groups are not split-up. If ever the number picked up splits a group of less than 4 people, security can just let them go together.

2. It wil prevent crazy lining up (like the night before), because it will make no difference if you are there at 6am or 2pm in terms of your spot in line. (which the current system does not)

3. People can choose whether they want to go into the ellipse or not.

4. If the numbers are limited (in amount or in time), they will still mostly go to relatively dedicated fans. You don't have to show up too early in the morning, but people who don't really care and got tickets because of connections (and that is a LOT of people, believe me, including in GA) and only show up during the opening act will not end up in the ellipse instead of fans.

5. It gives a better chance to more people to get up close, and the band will not see the same faces every night.

As for U2.com member preferences, I'm not sure there is any fair way to deal with that, so I would just screw the idea.

great idea's !!! I totally agree this is how it should be.

Ok... I think I'm getting seats next show :huh:
This is just too much stress and drama.. just reading it and knowing I have to go through it in a couple weeks. I'm too old for this lol.

cmb737 said:

Great...first I don't get in the elipse and then Adam and Larry are tailgating me through Del Mar. :wink:

Are you serious about the towncars? I had the impression that band was staying downtown at the W or something, not in North County.

That really sucks that so many people in the ellipse or whatever it is they are calling it were casual fans. I have a feeling it will be a lot better when they come back in the fall because it seems like during those presales they managed to lock out the scalpers so the real fans got a lot more of the GAs, but it really isn't fair to those of you going to shows on the first leg - especially if you didn't get tickets for the third leg.

Yes

Westport said:

Also, another negative....the worst bunch of t-shirts that I have ever seen at a show. Horrible.

Saw those pictures.......just awful! Nothing inspiring or exciting about them.......and they're charging $35..........crazy. I definitely didn't feel the need to buy anything from the tour, and after seeing the poor quality and high prices, I won't be buying anything.

Bono's shades said:
That really sucks that so many people in the ellipse or whatever it is they are calling it were casual fans.

Why? I don't understand this attitude saying casual fans are less deserving of being close. Hey, maybe they'll have the night of their lives. Everyone, let's just go to the shows, enjoy ourselves, and not worry about the fan 'status' of others.

Btw, some people from the 'U2.com team' posted in Zootopia asking for people's impressions about the system. I suggest that all of you who don't like the system go over there and post about it. Who knows maybe they'll change it... It's in the general forum.

And Axver, it's not a question of which fans are more 'deserving' than others, but the fact is that for many of us, a U2 show is a religious experience, something we look forward to for months. A lot of people who go to rock shows go because they can easily have tickets because of connections. That includes a lot a GA holders. Believe me, I had 'connections' during Elevation, which helped me get GAs a lot, but I realized how so many tickets go to people who just go because they can and it's an 'event'.

I don't really think those people should be at the front while some hard-core fans are at the back. Giving as much chance to someone who shows up at 4pm than someone willing to sleep overnight? OK. Give as much chance to someone showing up half-way through opening act? No.

oceane, exactly what I was thinking! I'm hoping things smooth over by the time my shows (Chicago) come around.

Thanks for the review, very helpful!

Back
Top Bottom