Winnipeg Petition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I heard a rumour from a guy I know at the MTS Centre who said that the Managment is actively pursuing and close to booking a date in late september. :drool: sweet

Are you pulling my leg titans? When did you here this? It will be funny if they booked the day after Minneapolis. I'll have to do some major speeding back!

Earlier today i heard it. I just hate how fickle the U2 managment is. They will change their mind between Calagry in Winnipeg every day.

That stage wouldn't even fit in the shitty MTS Centre. What a dump. Biggest waste of tax payers money I have ever seen in downtown Winnipeg. If your going to build a new arena in downtown Winnipeg make it seat more than 13.000 people. Last week Montley Crue was listed as a sell out with 11.000 people. Even with GA and no seats the most their going to get in there for U2 is 12.500. There's no point in them comming here unless it's at the stadium where more then just MTS, Mooshead, & Manitoba Hyrdo people will be able to get tickets before they sell out in 5 minutes because OUR ARENA IS TOO DAMN SMALL!!! Yes U2 please come to Winnipeg but play the stadium at the end of september. Screw the MTS Centre. And what the hell is he talking about that someone signed the petition 500 times. Does he listen to power 97? They play that "Sign the U2 petition" every time they play U2. WHICH IS EVERY 20 MINUTES! I'm driving to Chicago in 3 weeks from Winnipeg and flying to Toronto in September to see them anyway so I don't really care. But I did sign the petition even though if they do decide to come I won't be able to get tickets. And there's going to be a lot of pissed of people that fought for them to come here and were not able to get tickets because the arena seating capacity is garbage. You can't even really call it an arena it's more of a decoration to spruce up downtown. Go to Grand Forks and see the Ralph Engelstadt arena and the Alerus Centre. A city that is 1/8 the size of Winnipeg and they have two arenas that both put the MTS Centre to sham. Come to Winnipeg U2 but don't bother if it's at the MTS Centre, save your time. What a shitty venue.

I have to agree that the MTS Centre is sort of crappy and cheap looking and doesnt seat alot of people. But I still think it would be fine for U2 to come play. Im sure the aucostics are much better than alot of the arenas on tour.

U2 COme to WINNIPEG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aww, I signed the petition and I hope you guys get it! (I'm a displaced Winnipeger but it's still my home!) I have to say 11,000 seats is pretty weak - is that what happens when the Jets leave?! What's the acoustics like at the stadium? How many seats are there? I heard the Everly Brothers there once a long time ago and it didn't seem too bad.

Good luck!

melsbud said:
Aww, I signed the petition and I hope you guys get it! (I'm a displaced Winnipeger but it's still my home!) I have to say 11,000 seats is pretty weak - is that what happens when the Jets leave?! What's the acoustics like at the stadium? How many seats are there? I heard the Everly Brothers there once a long time ago and it didn't seem too bad.

Good luck!

The MTS Center can actually fit over 17,000 for a concert which isn't that bad. I still think they will end up playing Calgary just for the fact the Saddledome can fit close to 20,000 people for a concert. Simple math: more seats=more $. Here's hoping they still make a stop in Winnipeg though.

I think U2 has to go to the city that has shown more support. The petition is reaching 8,000 which is alot. I dont know that 3,000 seats is going to be that much more money in the grand scheme of the tour.

Calgary might be a more probable possibility because the powers that make these decisions may think that Winnipeg is close enough to Minneapolis that fans will drive down there for the show, whereas Calgary is some distance from Vancouver, which I assume is the closest. I don't know whether it would help your guys's cause to lobby for a concert at the stadium instead of ETS. I don't know why all the N. American dates are strictly arena, when they could make so much more money doing stadiums here instead. :shrug:

Still, I'll pass on the word! (And extra fingers crossed, because if all things work out, I'll be at U of M Law by the time U2 swings by!) :rockon:

Haven't seen much action on this thread lately. Its starting to look like people are resigning to the fact the band may not be stopping here in Winnipeg or in Western Canada for that matter, which I think is a real shame. So many fans out here and we get the cold shoulder. Its starting to look like Ebay or a ticket broker for a Minneapolis ticket. :(

I havent given up, im just waiting for some real news. It would be retarded if they didnt fill the gap at the end of september, they can rest and relax after the tour is done, for now they should be playing shows.

Winterpeg just isn't a big enough city to warrant playing there. Why play Winterpeg when you can play an extra night in a big city, and get all the extra cash/publicity without going to some arctic outpost?

Besides, Winnipeg isn't exactly LA, if you carch my drift. Hell, it's not even in the same league as Edmonton....

CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY, CALGARY,
FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR
FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR, FOR,
V E R T I G O, V E R T I G O, V E R T I G O, V E R T I G O,
V E R T I G O!!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

Its all about Winnipeg. Theres no way they choose Calgary over the PEG ( the most rocking city ever).

starvinmarvin said:
Besides, Winnipeg isn't exactly LA, if you carch my drift. Hell, it's not even in the same league as Edmonton....
:eyebrow: i hope you're not knocking edmonton...

i just read something in the edmonton journal about the rumours of a calgary show in late september. :up:

lmjhitman said:

i just read something in the edmonton journal about the rumours of a calgary show in late september. :up:

The edmonton journal is published what we already know. Fictitious rumours.:wink:

dude, it's not a competition. i hope everyone who wants to see a show in their city, gets to, whether it's in winnipeg, calgary edmonton or saskatoon.

so just chill out, we're all on the same side here.

lmjhitman said:

:eyebrow: i hope you're not knocking edmonton...

Nothing against Edmonston. I just don't like the city.:madspit:

starvinmarvin said:

Nothing against Edmonston. I just don't like the city.:madspit:
\

I dont like it either. The peg is where its at in terms of Canada.expect for the fact that we dont have a u2 show.

lmjhitman said:
dude, it's not a competition. i hope everyone who wants to see a show in their city, gets to, whether it's in winnipeg, calgary edmonton or saskatoon.

so just chill out, we're all on the same side here.

:applaud:

Betty have you emailed or talked to Lochlin cross lately? I wonder if power 97 will ever do that contest to send someone to give the petition to them. By the way the petition is over 9000!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I doubt that U2 managment has seen it though.

Back
Top Bottom