Chile, the highest ticket of the tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepokiss

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
the top price for the Santiago show is 335 USD

GA is 65, or something like that. I emailed HelloAngel with all the info

:|... really, an abuse, but the top tickets are in the place where people that CAN afford it WILL afford it

I'm happy with GA

Hey, Pepo.

There are lots of strange rumours going around here about the prices for São Paulo concerts. One of them suggests that they would have a 'hot area', in front of the stage for over USD 400 a piece. I really don't want to believe that until the official announcement which will be made on January 10th.

Patrick,

I've also been reading those rumors about the insane prices for Sao Paulo. That stupid hot area for R$1,000 means U2 will be looking out from the stage on just the extremely rich people, some of whom undoubtedly will only be rich people there to be seen at the "in" event and not real hard core U2 fans. This goes against everything that U2 seems to stand for and very against the pricing they have used for the past 2 tours. I'm also reading that R$160 is lowest price, so at least it seems that Santiago will get some cheaper than that, as their lowest prices are about US$37.

This is a real disgrace after U2 have made a fortune off touring in 2005. The high tickets costs in North America and Europe should have been enough to help subsidize the South American concerts, where most people earn far less money.

Here's what U2log.com is reporting about the Santiago ticket sale:

Today the Chilean promoter DG Medios announced the following details regarding the U2 concert in Santiago:

Tickets will go on sale on Wednesday, January 11 at 14:00 p.m.
The main sponsor is Ripley (a shopping mall).
Tickets will be available for sale ONLY from Ripley’s and can be purchased online at www.ripley.cl. (Disregard the previously published information about tickets being sold via Ticketmaster.cl.)
Ticket prices ranges from US$37 to US$335 (19.000 to 175.000 pesos)

It seems odd that somehow Buenoes Aires, even though the tickets were expensive in the local currency, avoided having these ultra high priced hot areas. Their top price I believe was about US$80.

well, the HIGH PRICE tickets are NOT in front of the stage here.. they're on the side of the stadium, they're numbered and you can arrive like 2 minutes before...

Prices most likely have something to do woth customs and exports and negotiations with the venue/labor relations. It all boils down to the tour shows being a business and the tour promoters have to make bank. They also know die hard fans will pay. :wink:

pepokiss said:
well, the HIGH PRICE tickets are NOT in front of the stage here.. they're on the side of the stadium, they're numbered and you can arrive like 2 minutes before...

This is very interesting. I'm going to be attending the Sao Paulo shows, so I hope it will be the same plan there where the hot area will be off to the side. They need to allow the hardcore fans who'll be spending 1-2 days in line a chance to get upfront, which will help energize U2 into doing better performances.

I was hoping to also go to Santiago, but the airline prices seem way too high from Sao Paulo. :(

The prices I saw for Santiago said 185000, which would be more like US $355. That's stunningly expensive. Thank goodness they have some $37 cheap seats too.

Halup,

I totally agree with everything you have said. As it is only a rumour, I am really not keen to express my disappointment with the band. After speaking about "the journey of equality" all year long, one can think something along these lines would never happen at a U2 concert.

There's a reason why the São Paulo concerts are slightly more expensive: in Brazil, there's a law that obliges any music concert/movie theaters to charge only half of the ticket from students. So if you are associated to the National Union of Students, you would pay R$ 90 for the GA ticket. How the promoters bank this? By skyrocketing the normal prices for the regular, working, non-student ones.

BTW, I'm also going to SP concerts. I am from Rio. If you need any help trying to find cheap hotels in SP, I may help you: my email is patrick [dot] moraes [at] gmail [dot] com.

Kultschar,

the best tickets for majority of fans is GA. In Chile, you will look for "cancha" - it cost around 32,000 pesos [USD 60/61].

I posted this in a similar thread at the U2 News forum. There´s a press release posted at my local mailing list here. As you can see, it seems that Chilean prices won´t be the highest :ohmy: And PatrickM explained the policy for students paying half the price here. So here it goes, my original post:

A bit off topic, but I did the math for Brasil, if that press release is correct (yesterday´s exchange rate):

field (your GA): R$ 180,00 / US$ 78, 82
stands: R$ 160,00 / US$ 70,10
something called Espaço Pão de Açúcar Emotion (don´t ask me what the hell is that): R$ 380,00 / US$ 166,48
something called Hot Area (again I have no idea on what the hell is that): R$ 1.000,00 / US$ 438,12
Students may pay half the price here. That helps to explain why the regular tickets are more expensive, but it sucks, one way or the other.

MT

no, as of now, we're the only country in the world with a show and no presale... and francly, it doesn't surprise me

I hope this hasn't been posted...off u2.com

Tickets for Chile Show
Tickets for the Vertigo '06 stop in Santiago, Chile on February 26th will go on sale tomorrow, Wednesday, at 2pm.

Tickets will be available at Ripley stores, www.ripley.cl and www.dgmedios.com or charge by phone 600 462 6000

Ticket prices will be:
UPPER SEATS UNDER MARQUEE: $140.000 CLP
CENTER MEZZANINE SEATS UNDER MARQUEE: $175.000 CLP
LOWER SEATS UNDER MARQUEE: $90.000 CLP
CORNER SEATS: $32.000 CLP
ANDES: $50.000 CLP
FIELD - STANDING: $32.000 CLP

I converted them and 32000 is about $61, while the 175000 CLP top ticket is an insane $335. :shocked: I dunno how many of these expensive seats there are, hopefully most are at the 32000 or 50000 CLP price so the avg ticket price won't be too bad. Still though, the highest ticket price for the Buenos Aires shows is 80 USD whereas the the lowest for this show is pretty close to that. :scratch: I mean 335 bucks would outprice the majority of the American population..

aHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

student policy?....

AHAHAHAHAHAHA...

half price?...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

:hug:, I'm not laughing at you, but the thought of that happening here is hillarious... because one way or another that would go to hell :|

ah, and its not 175.000... it's 185.000 really... expense charges :wink:

at least in FIELD about 35.000 people get in... so, that's not bad

you can't even begin to imagine the mountain of troubles that has come up since the press conference last friday... I mean, this have been the longest 5 days of my life. So many production and organization mistakes that you people don't know...
and the inner circle?.. don't get me started...

maybe in thursday I'll describe the problems that has happenned

pepokiss said:
aHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

student policy?....

AHAHAHAHAHAHA...

half price?...

HAHAHAHAHAHA

:hug:, I'm not laughing at you, but the thought of that happening here is hillarious... because one way or another that would go to hell :|

:yikes: sorry lol, i just figured that might be the case since the prices are more similar to brazil's than the mexico or argentina ones. that's really shitty...i know U2 are evil/greedy and everything, but are the chilean promoters (or whoever they are) particularly bad? it just seems weird...

you can't even begin to imagine the mountain of troubles that has come up since the press conference last friday... I mean, this have been the longest 5 days of my life. So many production and organization mistakes that you people don't know...
and the inner circle?.. don't get me started...

maybe in thursday I'll describe the problems that has happenned

:hug: sorry...hopefully the sale will go relatively smoothly for you guys tomorrow (ha)

I was wondering how come anyone has said a thing about that inner circle policy: "for exclusive use of the band". It really sucks!

In 1998 for the Popmart tour they did the same thing, if you bought GA tickets you would be allow to get close only to the b-stage but not to the main stage and in that middle space you'd have found people who didn´t enjoy the music as much as the people who waited all day in line..who were those guys?.

I remember reading months ago about the lottery system for the North American legs and how people though it was a non fair system...what would they say now? that theres no chance at all of getting in there. What would we say now..that it is happening to us??

Anyone?

Oh my god you need a Ripleys storecard - no credit card?? Thats bizarre and now im screwed!

everyone without a Ripley card is screwed.. except me, that I got my ticket :D

wacth for my full report on the ticket sale... wait, did I said sale?, try PANDEMONIUM!!!

I`ve got it...but this organisation was a mess. bought it in the mall and it was the worst ticket-selling i´ve ever seen.

with a little better organisation, everybody would have gotten the ticket 2 hours earlier...

but whatever, i´ve got it :D

but i think, this "buying-online-just-with-ripley-card" is the biggest commercial gimmick....really bad

edit: @pepokiss...not everyone without a card is screwed, you just cant buy online or over phone without a card...

didnt know that, called last night, ordered tickets, gave all my details and at the end he asks me for my ripley card number...bad luck...lool

Last edited:
Hmm what a terrible mess - Ripley card only ive missed out because of this stupid system

is it sold out yet?? Keep reading about the rush but I dont think it is on the web. Guess the ripley thing is screwing and slowing people down??

nice job scoring tickets dave & pepokiss :D

sorry you got shut out kultschar, hopefully you will have more opportunities to get some before the concert. :hug:

the ripley thing is really screwy to put it nicely...the band may not be in complete control of everything that goes on with this, but they need to intervene (although it seems too late for the santiago show), because their fans are getting fucked over and it's wrong.:|

VertigoGal said:
nice job scoring tickets dave & pepokiss :D

sorry you got shut out kultschar, hopefully you will have more opportunities to get some before the concert. :hug:

the ripley thing is really screwy to put it nicely...the band may not be in complete control of everything that goes on with this, but they need to intervene (although it seems too late for the santiago show), because their fans are getting fucked over and it's wrong.:|

I have a feeling that the band did intervene with the Sao Paulo shows and forced the promoter to eliminate charging US $440 for the floor tickets in the Hot Area (inside the ellipse type area).

Back
Top Bottom