with or without you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've had dozens of threads like this.
IT...DOESN'T...SOUND...GOOD...ANYMORE!
Why destroy a classic when Edge doesn't care about it and Bono can't sing it?

djerdap said:
We've had dozens of threads like this.
IT...DOESN'T...SOUND...GOOD...ANYMORE!
Why destroy a classic when Edge doesn't care about it and Bono can't sing it?

:crazy:

It's one of the best live :eyebrow:

I guess we have to open this discussion again.
Listen to the live versions from 1987 to 1992. Phenomenal. Probably my favorite song ever consists of these performances. Rattle and Hum version is breathtaking. Some ZooTV versions are fantastic too. Bono sang perfectly, Edge played wonderfully - especially the improvised ending and Larry played the drums with passion. The Shine Like Stars added verse is beautiful.
The Popmart and Elevation versions sound tired and worn out. The band does not feel the song anymore. I think Larry even said so in one interview. There is no added solo at the ending, drums practically don't exist, Bono's vocals for the most of the time are not good, Shine Like Stars verse is very rare(and when Bono does sing it, it saves the song from being a total failure).
I understand a lot of people want to hear With or Without You. But, the live versions today lack something. It was a very wise and brave decision to delete it from the setlists this tour.
At least until Edge starts finally to care about the song again and do something on that ending again. And Bono does sing better now, so maybe he could nail it...

even if Bono can't sing it as well anymore, it should be played every few shows. Not every night, but every 3 shows or something like that.

Still a classic.

hopefully they will do it when they record their DVDs (chicago?) - i cant see amy peopel wanting to buy it if there is no WOWY - and i mean general fans who are not hardcore..

when i bought the Boston DVD I wasnt hardcore and WOWY was one of my faves on it.

Listen to djerdap.

We should all be thankful that it is not being played.

i think they can still do it. whether they will do it properly or not is the question.

Its one of my favourites too, and the aformentioned LT and ZOOTV versions were absolutely brilliant (when Macphisto sings it:drool: )

BUT
I agree that it is somewhat lackluster and has lost the emotion that made what was an absolutely vague and almost nonsensical song into an absolute beauty. Although, I thought it was very moving on the Boston DVD, i'm still not impressed by it anymore.

I think that on this tour we are seeing the songs that U2 want to play, not the songs that they think the fans want to play. Honestly, what other reason would they have for bringing back the rarities from boy. Most casual listeners don't give a flying fart about An Cat Dubh, but it's still being played at at least one of every two shows.
It seems to me that this is the music that U2 wants to play, and they did give WOWY a try, it flopped like a large german man in a speedo(a little too much, yeah, but i digress) and they took it out. It's that easy. It was a very brave decision to get rid of one of their most popular songs, but its one that they should stand by.

All the better to them
~A.j.~

mo786 said:
hopefully they will do it when they record their DVDs (chicago?) - i cant see amy peopel wanting to buy it if there is no WOWY - and i mean general fans who are not hardcore..

when i bought the Boston DVD I wasnt hardcore and WOWY was one of my faves on it.

You really think people won't buy a DVD just because ONE song is not on it? And why would they play said song on a DVD being filmed when they have not played it recently and, even though they played it a million times before, is under rehearsed? And how many people buy a DVD if they are fans of just ONE song the band plays?
These threads are getting pretty phunny. "Wher's Discoteque? Where's UTEOTW? If they don't play Acrobat on this tour, I'll cry like a little girl!" I don't mean to bash anyone, mo, but it is getting funnier and funnier the more I read these threads. They will play that song again, I am sure of it, but most probably, not anytime soon!

Atrivis said:

You really think people won't buy a DVD just because ONE song is not on it? And why would they play said song on a DVD being filmed when they have not played it recently and, even though they played it a million times before, is under rehearsed? And how many people buy a DVD if they are fans of just ONE song the band plays?
These threads are getting pretty phunny. "Wher's Discoteque? Where's UTEOTW? If they don't play Acrobat on this tour, I'll cry like a little girl!" I don't mean to bash anyone, mo, but it is getting funnier and funnier the more I read these threads. They will play that song again, I am sure of it, but most probably, not anytime soon!

:up:

God Part III said:

That's because you like the song.

I don't like it, studio or live.

Keep it off. Bad is better.

Yes I do like the song, especially the live version of shine like stars in the summer nights, which yes I know hasn't been played in awhile but there are some songs I like that I hate live :|

My favourite Queen song is Don't Stop Me Now but that doesn't stop me enjoying bootlegs from every tour apart from the Crazy Tour.

josh82 said:
they should reinvent this song somehow

Aside from the Macphisto/Zoomerang/Zooshi version of WOWY, you should listen to WOWY during the Popmart rehearsals. They slowed it down so much that it was unrecognizable. Although I never heard the full version, Bono had to ad-lib lyrics... It's really hard to explain. You just have to listen to it. :wink:

Among other things, I'm sure the band is getting sick of playing WOWY since they've played it 10,000,000 times already.

i'm hoping to hear WOWY once on the tour since its probably my favorite song of all time - but if i don't life will go on. You still get to see your favorite band live playing the songs they want to play.

Last edited:
In all fairness....the only time they played it during this tour it sounded better than the absolutely horrific popmartversion or the elevation version...it doesn't come close to the zooropa or jt era version though.:drool:

Personally, I thought the Slane version sounded beautiful, and it had the added "we'll shine like stars" part. Bono may not be able to sing it full blown like back in the day, but I like how he sings it now...his voice havin a desperation sound to it.

And when the hell did Edge come out and say "he doesnt care about it"?? :eyebrow:

Last edited:
djerdap said:
I guess we have to open this discussion again.
Listen to the live versions from 1987 to 1992. Phenomenal. Probably my favorite song ever consists of these performances. Rattle and Hum version is breathtaking. Some ZooTV versions are fantastic too. Bono sang perfectly, Edge played wonderfully - especially the improvised ending and Larry played the drums with passion. The Shine Like Stars added verse is beautiful.
The Popmart and Elevation versions sound tired and worn out. The band does not feel the song anymore. I think Larry even said so in one interview. There is no added solo at the ending, drums practically don't exist, Bono's vocals for the most of the time are not good, Shine Like Stars verse is very rare(and when Bono does sing it, it saves the song from being a total failure).
I understand a lot of people want to hear With or Without You. But, the live versions today lack something. It was a very wise and brave decision to delete it from the setlists this tour.
At least until Edge starts finally to care about the song again and do something on that ending again. And Bono does sing better now, so maybe he could nail it...

Of course, we have to also rememeber the 80's singing (I mean screaming your lungs out) almost helped Bono losing a voice alltogether...Popmart version almost ruined the song but the Elevation version was an improvement. And if you think Bono should stop singing any of the 80's songs because he doesn't have the range anymore, keep dreaming. There's a reason why songs like WOWY get played every tour, they work live.

The song was not deleted as it was already played once on this tour, and with first leg not even being finished it's a bit early to say that. Since when does Edge not care about WOWY anyway?

Last edited:
WOWY really should be played live. If Edge is tired of it, he needs to suck it up, and play the damn song. At the very least, put it back into the rotation.

Besides, does Edge really think we fans aren't tired of hearing Bullet The Blue Sky tour after tour? Sheesh. The tickets are pretty pricey, but I guess when you're the Edge money isn't really a factor.

starvinmarvin said:
WOWY really should be played live. If Edge is tired of it, he needs to suck it up, and play the damn song.

Yeah, because U2 should never have any say in the matter, they MUST play what YOU want to hear.

:rolleyes:

Clearly U2 has the right to play some obscure material that keeps them interested in the music, but....

U2 plays SEVEN songs from the new album every night. They play THREE obscure songs from BOY. They play the stale and boring Bullet The Blue Sky night after night. They play Zoo Station most nights. They even play the assinine Elevation, for the love of God.

It is not unreasonable to expect U2 to play a song that is undoubtedly the biggest hit of their career. There are only a handful of songs that U2 HAS to play every time, but this is one of them.

The earlier live versions of WOWY (pre-93) were very cool. But ever since the POPmart tour the song has been very lethargic-sounding, for lack of a better word. Instead of an adrenaline-pumping tempo leading up to the song's climax, it sounds like they lazily meander through the song until finally waking up near the end. I agree that if the song is to return, they should either play it like they used to, or else completely re-tool the song and inject some new life into it.

As it now stands, they really sound like they're bored when they play it.

WOWY is one of the most beautiful songs U2 have but it's so so overplayed that it starts to annoy. sometimes, listening to JT I pass directly from ISHFWILF to RTSS.

I watched the San Diego 2 dvd the other night and it was good, but not nearly as energizing as the rest of the show....

I love With or Without You. I think it's good live. But I agree with most people here who say there is an energy that just isn't on it. And if it goes away, and comes back later with an energy fine. Bono, I am SURE can most likely sing it again. Bad this time sounds nothing like Bad from Elevation. It's so much better, mostly due to his voice being better. I'm sure it would be the same with with With or Without You. But if they don't have the nergy to play it, then let it rest for now.

Back
Top Bottom