why are the setlists so short?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kromeis

The Fly
im excited to see them again, but u2 seems to be the only band of legacy who plays this short of a setlist....any reasons?

Are they so short?
They aren't any shorter as with their previous tours.

And many other bands also don't play much longer sets (like Rolling Stones, Madonna, R.E.M.). Sure, some play longer (Pearl Jam a bit, Bruce Springsteen a bit more and Elvis Costello inbetween), but not that many.

C ya!

Marty

In comparisson. in 1987 u2 played aroudn the 20 songs, zootv area aroudn 21/22, popmart the maximum was 24 or 25 I think..so if we get around the 23/24 songs I would be more than happy. Still no comparrison to the insane 38 song setlist of the cure in 1996..man they played for 3,5 hours lol....

3,5 hours of U2, I think I could die happily after that concert then

:drool:

Anaheim 2 had 23 songs. That's pretty long for a U2 show.
Bono's a showman. He has a sensitive voice, but also he's running and jumping all over the place for 2 hours. You see him exhausted every time during the closing song.

i'd rather have U2 play a strong 22 song set than a wimpy, dragged out 35 song set.

Most shows end around 11 pm, so this is the norm, 2 hours of U2 is plenty. Have you ever been to a Morrissey concert, homeboy sings 2-3 songs and an encore (if you're lucky).

mikal said:
i'd rather have U2 play a strong 22 song set than a wimpy, dragged out 35 song set.

Amen! If they tried to pull that off, Bono's voice would give out halfway through, U2.com fans would start complaining about how screwed over they got, and Jick would write post after post about how the band is on the verge of breaking up because Larry clearly hates this new direction the band's going in.

:wink:

I think U2 should consider doing a 25-26 songs. They could do like a 10 minute intermission or have the Edge do a 2 song set. I'm happy with the 2 hr show, its just they are the biggest band in the world and should add 10-15 minutes a night solidify their greatness :wink:

MrBrau1 said:
The 3.5 or 4 hour concert is SO OVER-RATED.

um....may I ask how so?

Pearl Jam...3 shows in Boston last tour. not a single repeat of songs until the final encore. The final show started an hour early so that they could fit more songs in. Was one of the best concerts ive ever been to. They also did a 4 hour show in State College, PA that was awesome

I see Gov't Mule several times a year. Their shows often go 3 hours+. Every single time I have been blown away. They once played till dawn.

Bruce Springstein plays 3 hours fairly often. Reviews for him are always outstanding.

By the way, I pay 25 bucks for Gov't Mule tickets and 40 for Pearl Jam. 160 for a 1 hour 45 minute U2 performance.

Springsteen usually plays about 2 hours and 30 minutes, add a 30 minute intermission and you have your three hours....
.. I saw Springsteen in concert twice and both times I went to get myself a beer while he was on stage.. problem with long shows is that time you remain focussed on the stage is limited..
A two hour U2 set is cool and when you're lucky enough to catch the occasional 2hours and 10 minutes show, be happy..
I'm fine with two hours of U2 per show...
It's better than the 80s. Joshua tree was 1:40 and lovetown 1:45 effectively...

applenut said:

By the way, I pay 25 bucks for Gov't Mule tickets and 40 for Pearl Jam. 160 for a 1 hour 45 minute U2 performance.

you get what you pay for.

(i love pearl jam- but the concert experience is not even in the same ball park as U2)

pxlphish said:
They are not a live band. Get over it.

Oh, so the six shows so far this tour are just a figment of Interference's collective imagination? Thanks for enlightening me.

They could easily do 3-5 more songs per night. Their set seems a little thin. Not in comparison to any tour or any other band, but in comparison to themselves. They've been around 25 years, have an awesome back catalogue, and are charging an incredible amount of money (don't go giving me this shit about it's no more than other bands blah,blah,blah-- the eagles ruined it for everyone when they did their hell freezes tour-- before that tickets were often the same price for every seat in the house and were like $30 for a big band. Even w/inflation tickets shouldn't be anywhere near this expensive. Were big bands and promoters going broke before this phenomenon? They've figured out we're willing to pay more. And they're right, we are.)
And who said you can't remain focused?? What the? People are going for beer during Electic Co. and it's 4 songs in. Maybe they can't, and maybe you can't, but I sure can. I'll go piss during SBS, there will be no line, and I've heard it live way too many times.
And it being too hard on Bono's voice? What was the excuse when they were doing 1:45 and he was 10 years younger? Tell that to Bob Pollard of Guided By Voices. 2.5 hour sets when they started headlining when he was about 33 until this year when he's like 48 (and he did 3h45mins their last show).
I'm not asking the world, and I certainly don't expect 30 songs. I don't think 25-27 seems that much to ask.

What you also have to remeber is the average u2 song is about 4:30 which is longer than most bands, who's songs are 3:30

pxlphish said:
They are not a live band. Get over it.
Ladies and gentlemen, we finally found the dumbest poster of all time!! Yeah, U2 isn't a live band...mouhahahahahahahahaha

zoopop said:
I think U2 should consider doing a 25-26 songs. They could do like a 10 minute intermission or have the Edge do a 2 song set. I'm happy with the 2 hr show, its just they are the biggest band in the world and should add 10-15 minutes a night solidify their greatness :wink:

agreed!!
They should justify the status of being the biggest band in the world! Metallica plays 2.5-3 hours, so does the Boss and the Rolling Stones!
But i'm also not sure if bono's fragile voice could handle that....Too much smoking in the past---just had to pay the price!

Back
Top Bottom