MERGED--> OPINION: Tour will not start with Vertigo + Song opener for the tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Fan101

Refugee
OPINION: Tour will not start with Vertigo

Last album, each promo show began, for the most part, with Beautiful Day. And the actual tour opened with Elevation.

I am thinking the same thing will happen here.

It will either open with All Because Of You or City of Blinding Lights, in my opinion.

Also, I am beginning to think more and more that we will not hear LAPOE on opening night, and quite possibly for the first few shows of the tour, if not at all.

They already have played 6 songs from the new album (I thought they had done A Man and a Woman once or twice, but maybe not), plus I am sure they will play Electrical Storm. I wouldn't be surprised if LAPOE doesn't make it.

That being said, here is a setlist I made up in about 2 minutes. Realistic...ehhh, maybe.

1. All Because Of You
2. Vertigo
3. Gone
4. The Fly
5. Until the End of the World
6. Even Better Than The Real Thing
7. Miracle Drug
8. Electrical Storm
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

B-STAGE
10. Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
11. Angel of Harlem

ACOUSTIC
12. Original of the Species

MAIN STAGE
13. Bad-One Step Closer*
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Running To Stand Still
16. Where the Streets Have No Name
17. New Year's Day

ENCORE
18. City of Blinding Lights
19. One
20. Beautiful Day

ENCORE II
21. Mysterious Ways
22. With or Without You
23. Love is Blindness

*first verse, and "One Step Closer To...." Before Bono sings 'knowing', Bullet kicks in ala ZooTV tour with First Time snippeted.

Now the setlist I put on here was something I was thinking, somewhat in relation to my post, but really not having anything to do with my earlier comment. I just wanted to post a setlist:)

I don't think he'd do One Step Closer into Bullet, I'd say One Step Closer into Streets. Makes more sense in terms of serving the memory of his father well. Can you imagine SYCMIOYO-OSC-Streets?

Also, I think the tour will open with Love and Peace or Else into Vertigo

I hope they have more than one starter song. From the new album, potential starters are:

- Vertigo
- Love and Peace or Else
- City of Blinding Lights
- All Because of You

Why COBL as a starter? Doesn't it seem more like a Streets sort of vibe that could come at the beginning of an encore?

BTW, definitely LAPOE as a starter. Imagine, as they walk onto the stage, that bass sound at the beginning of the song is playing, and then the starting of the concert is the drum crash and "Lay down, lay it doooowwn. Lay you're sweet lovely, ON THE GROUND!!!"

Needle_Chill said:
Why COBL as a starter? Doesn't it seem more like a Streets sort of vibe that could come at the beginning of an encore?

Streets was the greatest opener of all time, so COBL would be a pretty damn good one too.

they should open with zoostation. that would be pretty cool.

realisticlly, i think its gonna be lapoe

Numb1075 said:
I don't see how it WONT be Vertigo.....

Perhaps, a real heavy opening of LAPOE into EXIT:drool:

None of their shows has opened with the first single of the new album. Think about it...

Lovetown opened with Streets (the first single from JT was WOWY)
ZooTV opened with Zoo Station (first single from AB? The Fly.)
Popmart opened with Mofo (first singe was Discotheque)
Elevation opened w/ Elevation (1st single - Beautiful Day)

I suspect that the opening number will be City of Blinding Lights. They could stretch that opening section (without the guitar) into a couple minutes of noise and add some other parts like they did with the Elevation opening tape. They get onstage, Larry sits down, Edge grabs his guitar and starts in on the Streets-like part, the rest of the band comes in, and Bono pops up onstage in time to belt out the first verse.

Vertigo's too much, too quick. Love and Peace is far too low energy at the beginning to make a good show opener, and Yahweh is too climactic to be the first song on the setlist.

I think Love and Peace crackles with energy, and I looooove the slow build. By the time that last guitar solo is over... click click click.. uno...dos...tres...catorce!

I have thought for a while that they wont open with Vertigo.
because

1) Its too obvious
2) Its too short
3) It leaves Bono out of breath (has any one seen him talking on the miracle drug video on u2.com from cd. uk.He is struggling badly to get his breath)
4) Its the lead single from the album and they dont(usually) open with lead singles.

If Im wrong and they do open with it I think they could use the Jackknife remix as an intro thats quite cool.

All because of you is a strong possibility but would they follow that with Vertigo, they are in a similar vein, fast & punchy.This would push vertigo further down the set.
I think it has to follow straight from the opening song.

Miracle drug, Great song! but doesnt have the qualities needed for an opening song.

COBL.Very strong candidate

LAPOE.I think this will be a massive song live.Could be an opener! But I see this more as first encore ala Bullet. I see this pushing Bullet out of the set. The middle portion prior to the solo
becoming a Bono rap and then an extended solo from Edge.

I could also see though The slow intro, Bono picked out with a single spot light then the whole ban kicking in. I think that would be awesome!

Crumbs.Another fantastic song but not an opener

OOTS.I see this as a closer or possibly Yahweh.

So i think there are four posibilities as opening songs

Vertigo
All because of you
Love & Peace
City of blinding lights

I can wait to find out

Listening to LAPOE at the mo, and id love them to kick things off with this one! Adam and Edge come on stage first, the distortion beginning starts. Larry comes on....and BAM!! That first drum beat smashes through the stadium, followed by "Lay Down...Lay Down" from Bono, who is unseen, until you see him stroll on saying "hey...hey....LAY DOWN YOUR TREASURE"! Then it all kicks in....fantastic!:wink:

I agree with other posts here. U2 has recently surprised us with its openings. Pop Mart served up a giant Lemon and MOFO. During Elevation, they walked on stage with the house lights still on, throwing the unexpecting crowds into pandemonium and ripping into Elevation. Vertigo would be the best opening song, but I think it's become too predictable. So what will it be? They can open with COBL, ABOY or LAPOE. I think LAPoe has a great intro, but it lacks the sing along quality of good opening songs. I think it's between ABOY and COBL.

Jon

Last edited:
If Vertigo opens, it will be a complete break with setlist tradition. Beautiful Day is the only lead single to open a full-tour concert and that happened ONCE, 2001-10-10.

I think this one could depend on the stage. If it's similar to the Elevation stage, they could walk out and rip into Vertigo. However, they couldn't have done that on Popmart. LAPOE would make a very interesting opener ... I hope they actually change the opener between arenas and stadiums. With the exclusion of Beautiful Day on 2001-10-10 and Sunday Bloody Sunday at a public ZooTV rehearsal, U2 have not played an alternate opener during a full tour since 1990-01-09/10.

Song opener Shuld be LAPOE and then Vertigo.

But what about: Fast Cars --- Desire? (or vice versa), acoustic? They did play desire on the last two tours, so it might be dropped, but still...

Needle_Chill said:
BTW, definitely LAPOE as a starter. Imagine, as they walk onto the stage, that bass sound at the beginning of the song is playing, and then the starting of the concert is the drum crash and "Lay down, lay it doooowwn. Lay you're sweet lovely, ON THE GROUND!!!"

Exactly right. It may not be the best song but it's a perfect opener to the Love and Peace Tour :wink:

I knew people would start to come around!

Love and Peace or Else to kick off the Love and Peace Tour!!

Aardvark747 said:
Listening to LAPOE at the mo, and id love them to kick things off with this one! Adam and Edge come on stage first, the distortion beginning starts. Larry comes on....and BAM!! That first drum beat smashes through the stadium, followed by "Lay Down...Lay Down" from Bono, who is unseen, until you see him stroll on saying "hey...hey....LAY DOWN YOUR TREASURE"! Then it all kicks in....fantastic!:wink:

I actually got goosebumps just trying to visualise this. Good description Aardvark!:up:

I would love for them to start with Love And Peace Or Else, but for some reason I doubt it. I do think that it is much more likely to be the encore opener.

I have this feeling that City Of Blinding Lights will be used to close out the main set instead of Pride.

As for the actual opener...well, I do honestly expect it to be Vertigo->All Because Of You, but I could see it being the other way around.

COBL opening the show with LAPOE opening the first Encore. To Me City of Blinding Lights has a decent amount of intro music before the vocals kick in, and "OH YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL TONIGHT!" is a wonderful way for the band to say hello to the crowd and vice versa.

Love and Peace -> Desire -> All Because Of You -> Vertigo -> Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me -> One Tree Hill -> Heartland. :wink: :drool: :drool:

:drool:

I think Love and Peace could lead great into All Because of You!
Imagine Edge playing his solo in the end of LaPoE. In the moment when he should finish it, he would continue it into the main riff of the ABOY. This version is only possible if Bono will be able to play rythm guitar. What do you think about it?

Back
Top Bottom