Bad Should Be Played Every night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oscar08

The Fly
In my opinion, Bad should be played everynight. It's a must! I know Bono can't sing the song like he used to, but the spirit of the song is still alive when the song is played. It's one if U2'S greatest Anthems.

Last edited:
No, because that would mean no setlist variation.
And you know people here don't like no setlist variation. :angry:

I hope it comes back min the setlist..I never get bored hearing that song..I ve probably have heard that song more than 500 times maybe more....everytime they play that song live, it's different..that's why it's so amazing...

Valid point...But Bono does a great job in improvising when singing the song..He adds snippets of Ruby Tuesday, sexual healing, etc....Why play Vertigo twice..Play Bad instead..

Maybe I should make a Bad compilation on cd of all the different versions I have.....

Last edited:
oscar08 said:
I hope it comes back min the setlist..I never get bored hearing that song..I ve probably have heard that song more than 500 times maybe more....everytime they play that song live, it's different..that's why it's so amazing...

Considering that there are only 448 recorded performances of Bad (I think the total is actually 450), I'd like to know how you've heard it 500 times. :wink:

I really don't understand why Pride has been played at almost every U2 show since its debut while Bad has been on-again-off-again. It is easily one of U2's most incredible, amazing, and soaring live numbers. Performances like that on the RAH video are what prove U2 are the best live band in the world.

Dusty Bottoms said:
Part of what makes it special is that it doesn't get played everynight.

I agree. Hearing it at Chicago 1, I felt very special being there at that moment for Bad. I'm surprised Bad hasn't been played much in Europe.

BEVERLY56 said:
Bad...Chicago 1...:rockon: :dancing: :applaud: :up:

I was standing right there when Bono came out of the smoke after the ($160 seats) Human Rights speech with Bad intro starting. I nearly cried because of how much Bono nailed that song that night.

Axver said:

I really don't understand why Pride has been played at almost every U2 show since its debut while Bad has been on-again-off-again. It is easily one of U2's most incredible, amazing, and soaring live numbers. Performances like that on the RAH video are what prove U2 are the best live band in the world.

Because Pride was a single and the live version was also included on the Rattle And Hum album. So the average fan is way more familiar with it.

Personally, if they dropped Pride, Bullet and NY Day I wouldnt shed a tear. Bullet is the one I dont understand at this stage. Done to death, not a single, not even close to the strongest track on that album.

Onto the title of the thread. I think they should play Bad more on this tour, but not every night. They should alternate it as the closer.

Blue Room said:
Because Pride was a single and the live version was also included on the Rattle And Hum album. So the average fan is way more familiar with it.

You may have a point, but then again, consider ISHFWILF: one of only two #1 singles in the US, also on RAH, and yet that hasn't been played every night of every tour (cut on ZooTV, missed two thirds of Elevation, one third of Vertigo).

Personally, I love how Bullet's reinvented every tour, but it could use a rest for sure. I don't think New Year's Day should ever go, though. Edge's piano/guitar is so awesome and the song is one I never tire of.

Axver said:

You may have a point, but then again, consider ISHFWILF: one of only two #1 singles in the US, also on RAH, and yet that hasn't been played every night of every tour (cut on ZooTV, missed two thirds of Elevation, one third of Vertigo).

Personally, I love how Bullet's reinvented every tour, but it could use a rest for sure. I don't think New Year's Day should ever go, though. Edge's piano/guitar is so awesome and the song is one I never tire of.

I'm just saying Bad, is not as familiar to most of the songs you listed for the general fan. The fact that they have played it as much as they have is a testament to how good of a song it is and how much they enjoy playing it. ISHFWILF has actually turned up on most tours since JT eventually and even when it wasnt part of the standard setlist for the first leg of their tours, eventually it became a staple to a certain degree. Looking at the Euro setlists I would say thats happening again. Not every night, but its played most nights now. So I wouldnt really compare it to Bad from the single versus non/single perspective.

Your second paragraph is exactly why they play NY Day. Its also why they will never make all the die hards happy regardless of what they play. Some people are tired of X song, some still love it. If it was dropped a certain percentage would bitch about it, and if they play it a certain percentage bitch about it. For me personally, NY Day does nothing for me live any longer. But I also realize its one of the highlights for many fans out there. I understand why they play it and thats why I dont complain about it. Its a perspective I wish alot of people here would take. I think they understand it, but alot of people seriously are not happy, unless they are complaining. I guess its just the way it goes. But I dont see how its fun or how its doing anyone any good. :shrug: (oh, and I'm not saying you are a setlist bitcher Axver, just talking in general).

Last edited:
Blue Room said:

I'm just saying Bad, is not as familiar to most of the songs you listed for the general fan.

A lot of casual fans do know Bad, though. As a casual fan myself, it was my second 'favourite U2 song' after Pride. It's on the Best Of and the RAH video, so it isn't something like Electric Co. (which seems to be getting really good responses! That makes me happy.)

ISHFWILF has actually turned up on most tours since JT eventually and even when it wasnt part of the standard setlist for the first leg of their tours, eventually it became a staple to a certain degree. Looking at the Euro setlists I would say thats happening again. Not every night, but its played most nights now. So I wouldnt really compare it to Bad from the single versus non/single perspective.

That wasn't quite what I meant to illustrate with my Bad/Pride/ISHFWILF comparison, but I don't really need to re-explain myself as I know we agree. :)

(By the way, to clarify for anyone else reading who might be a bit confused: what I meant by saying 'ISHFWILF was cut on ZooTV' was that it was cut DURING the tour. It actually surprises me that it's been so on-again-off-again considering its huge popularity.)

Your second paragraph is exactly why they play NY Day. Its also why they will never make all the die hards happy regardless of what they play. Some people are tired of X song, some still love it. If it was dropped a certain percentage would bitch about it, and if they play it a certain percentage bitch about it. For me personally, NY Day does nothing for me live any longer. But I also realize its one of the highlights for many fans out there. I understand why they play it and thats why I dont complain about it. Its a perspective I wish alot of people here would take. I think they understand it, but alot of people seriously are not happy, unless they are complaining. I guess its just the way it goes. But I dont see how its fun or how its doing anyone any good. :shrug: (oh, and I'm not saying you are a setlist bitcher Axver, just talking in general).

I agree wholly on the perspective debate. I personally wish they'd stop playing One, but so many people here love it, it's huge with the casual fans, and any reasonable observer knows it's not going anywhere in a hurry. And regarding New Year's Day, remember all the bitching about it before 10 May? And then remember all the people desperate for it to return between 10 and 28 May? Whatever U2 do, there are heaps of people here to make noise and complain.

I kind of feel I Still Haven't Found... is like 'Ol Reliable. Everytime it's played it just works and if they're working a tune in rehearsals and have an open spot, they could put I Still Haven't Found in.

When I make it to a show I wish I could hear that song, along w/ Streets, COBL, The Fly, and Gloria

Axver said:

Considering that there are only 448 recorded performances of Bad (I think the total is actually 450), I'd like to know how you've heard it 500 times. :wink:

We must have somehow been seperated at birth - Bad is the epitome of U2 - When I think of how great a song could make me feel I think of this song. IMHO this is the definition of U2.

Bad during the UF and JT Tours was just fantastic, it was the "Centerpiece" of these tours. That was stated by one of the guys can't rember who though.

YBORCITYOBL said:

We must have somehow been seperated at birth - Bad is the epitome of U2 - When I think of how great a song could make me feel I think of this song. IMHO this is the definition of U2.

:applaud: In all of music, there is only one song I consider to be better than Bad, and it is Streets (and not by much either). Bad is the zenith of minimalism and the perfection of Edge's craft, and live it soars to an even higher level - I was absolutely blown away when I saw Bad on RAH, it converted me from a casual fan who reckoned U2 were the greatest into an absolute fanatic.

I also must say that AIWIY --> Bad from 20 October 1989, Sydney is easily one of the best things I have ever heard in my life. It really tips AIWIY on its head and makes it exceptionally dark and desperate.

zoopop said:

I was standing right there when Bono came out of the smoke after the ($160 seats) Human Rights speech with Bad intro starting. I nearly cried because of how much Bono nailed that song that night.

Oh it was awesome :drool: :drool: Im very fortunate to have them play that song at 100% of the shows ive been to :bow:

Well the setlist has not change for a while now, which is dissapointing. It will be great if bad was played it in full, all three verses. I hope they play it if they come out to Australia...

oscar08 said:
Valid point...But Bono does a great job in improvising when singing the song..He adds snippets of Ruby Tuesday, sexual healing, etc....Why play Vertigo twice..Play Bad instead..

Playing a song like 'Bad' twice in one night would take away the intensity of ths song. Not to mention, Bono's voice would never hold up.

Bad is a great song, and got a rapturous welcome when I saw it performed at Croke III. It was certainly a highlight of the night. From that insatiable opening riff to the explosion into the "HOO HOO" of the chorus and the bold and powerful chant, "I'M WIDE AWAKE, I'M NOT SLEEPING!"

My favourite versions of the song certainly including the now legendary Live Aid and Rattle and Hum performances. Ruby Tuesday and Sympathy for the Devil just fit the song perfectly. "Goodbye Ruby Tuesday... who's gonna hang a name on you" to "I'm pleased to meet you" (Larry: Bum Bum) "I hope you guess my name!" :drool:

Great stuff :up: Should feature in a lot more shows than it does!

Last edited:
hearing the opening notes of Bad at Denver 2 was the highlight of my live music experience....

Back
Top Bottom