Experience: U2 in Portugal *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
By Tania Almeida

It was considered just a rumor that the band would be in Spain, France and Portugal to shoot a video for the new single to be released in September. I can?t confirm their presence in the other countries but I can assure you that U2 were in fact here in Portugal.

U2 arrived yesterday night. It wasn?t official, no one was warned about it. Someone talked to the band, and they said they were here to make some pictures for the new album?s booklet. They arrived, and walked around Lisbon Thursday night.

They went to a club in Lisbon, LUX (something not confirmed yet) According to an employee of a restaurant in a beach named Praia Grande, yesterday they had a reservation for the band?s crew as well as the crew of a national channel TVI. The channel was going to shoot some program with the band but they canceled the reservation and the shooting.

Friday morning was the first time someone talked about the fact that the band was in Portugal. A radio station, Best Rock said U2 were in Portugal and may be in Praia Grande. I heard it and I couldn?t resist, I had to find the guys so I went looking for them everywhere I possibly could. I talked with security guards to find out something, but learned nothing, no one knew anything about it, everyone looked at me like, ?Sorry? U2 are in Portugal? I didn?t know!? In fact, no one knew about it, so I thought I have no places left to look for them.

Then something came up to me, the airport. The airport had to be a good choice because the band had to depart from there, so I went. When I arrived, at 2:30 pm, nothing special was happening, everything was normal. I talked with some more people in order to sort something out about the band but even in the airport no one knew anything at all. Finally I found a lady that understood I was really serious and that I really needed to meet the band so she made some phone calls and told me that the band would depart at 6 from Gate C. So I waited near Gate C. How hard could it be?

I waited three-and-a-half hours (and those hours seemed an eternity to me) and nothing, no sign at all of the band, I was becoming nervous about it. Soon two reporters arrived, I chatted a little with them, they were also waiting for the band. We waited a little longer and finally, at 8 pm, the band arrived. Smiling and waving to everybody, as always, they came up trough the airport corridor.

Larry was the first one to arrive. I said, ?Hi Larry? and he answered back! Next came The Edge, who also answered. They seemed a bit shy, and maybe a little nervous. Adam must have been disguised because I didn?t see him pass by, I just saw him later inside the departure gate. Very quickly all of them got inside the gate, except Bono, Bono kept with us, talking and smiling with me, more four or five other fans and the reporters. He saw me, smile at me, and came towards me. I kissed and hugged him and he hugged me back, really hard. I had some things for him to sign (?Pop? album and ?If God Will Send His Angels? CD), so I asked him to sign them. He smiled and said, ?Sure? but my pen wouldn?t write, so I gave him another pen. While he was signing my stuff, we talked a little:
Tania: So, how is it going the new album? Can we expect the new single in September?
Bono: Yes, for sure you can
T: And the album, will it be out in October?
B: Yes, it is almost done, it will be out by that time
T: Bono, can you promise us you won?t miss Portugal with the new tour?
B: Well, we have been talking with people, and we are trying really hard. Let?s see what we can make.

After this, Bono smiled and said bye, and went to the departure gate. He still had time to make some funny face to a photographer, though. After that, they vanished.

The event was covered by the national newspaper Correio da Manh? and a story will be in the paper on Saturday. They are about to make a nice article about the band and are going to interview me as a lucky girl that had the opportunity to meet the band, they want to know what it?s like for a fan to meet the band. The article will include some of the pictures taken at the airport Friday.

All that happened made me thing about just a few words, it is, in fact a beautiful day.

Tania, congratulations on meeting the band! You're so lucky!

Do you still listen to your Slane cd?

Peace....emily (remember me?):wave:

dsmith2904 said:
By Tania Almeida

It was considered just a rumor that the band would be in Spain, France and Portugal to shoot a video for the new single to be released in September. I can?t confirm their presence in the other countries but I can assure you that U2 were in fact here in Portugal.

U2 arrived yesterday night. It wasn?t official, no one was warned about it. Someone talked to the band, and they said they were here to make some pictures for the new album?s booklet. They arrived, and walked around Lisbon Thursday night.

They went to a club in Lisbon, LUX (something not confirmed yet) According to an employee of a restaurant in a beach named Praia Grande, yesterday they had a reservation for the band?s crew as well as the crew of a national channel TVI. The channel was going to shoot some program with the band but they canceled the reservation and the shooting.

Friday morning was the first time someone talked about the fact that the band was in Portugal. A radio station, Best Rock said U2 were in Portugal and may be in Praia Grande. I heard it and I couldn?t resist, I had to find the guys so I went looking for them everywhere I possibly could. I talked with security guards to find out something, but learned nothing, no one knew anything about it, everyone looked at me like, ?Sorry? U2 are in Portugal? I didn?t know!? In fact, no one knew about it, so I thought I have no places left to look for them.

Then something came up to me, the airport. The airport had to be a good choice because the band had to depart from there, so I went. When I arrived, at 2:30 pm, nothing special was happening, everything was normal. I talked with some more people in order to sort something out about the band but even in the airport no one knew anything at all. Finally I found a lady that understood I was really serious and that I really needed to meet the band so she made some phone calls and told me that the band would depart at 6 from Gate C. So I waited near Gate C. How hard could it be?

I waited three-and-a-half hours (and those hours seemed an eternity to me) and nothing, no sign at all of the band, I was becoming nervous about it. Soon two reporters arrived, I chatted a little with them, they were also waiting for the band. We waited a little longer and finally, at 8 pm, the band arrived. Smiling and waving to everybody, as always, they came up trough the airport corridor.

Larry was the first one to arrive. I said, ?Hi Larry? and he answered back! Next came The Edge, who also answered. They seemed a bit shy, and maybe a little nervous. Adam must have been disguised because I didn?t see him pass by, I just saw him later inside the departure gate. Very quickly all of them got inside the gate, except Bono, Bono kept with us, talking and smiling with me, more four or five other fans and the reporters. He saw me, smile at me, and came towards me. I kissed and hugged him and he hugged me back, really hard. I had some things for him to sign (?Pop? album and ?If God Will Send His Angels? CD), so I asked him to sign them. He smiled and said, ?Sure? but my pen wouldn?t write, so I gave him another pen. While he was signing my stuff, we talked a little:
Tania: So, how is it going the new album? Can we expect the new single in September?
Bono: Yes, for sure you can
T: And the album, will it be out in October?
B: Yes, it is almost done, it will be out by that time
T: Bono, can you promise us you won?t miss Portugal with the new tour?
B: Well, we have been talking with people, and we are trying really hard. Let?s see what we can make.

After this, Bono smiled and said bye, and went to the departure gate. He still had time to make some funny face to a photographer, though. After that, they vanished.

The event was covered by the national newspaper Correio da Manh? and a story will be in the paper on Saturday. They are about to make a nice article about the band and are going to interview me as a lucky girl that had the opportunity to meet the band, they want to know what it?s like for a fan to meet the band. The article will include some of the pictures taken at the airport Friday.

All that happened made me thing about just a few words, it is, in fact a beautiful day.

dreamingoutloud1 said:
Tania, congratulations on meeting the band! You're so lucky!

Do you still listen to your Slane cd?

Peace....emily (remember me?):wave:

Emilie?? Where you the one that sent me my Slane cd's?? Off course i do remember you!!
And I still listen to the cd's all the time!!
I became a real trader!! When you need something...let's make a trade!!!

Yes...even though I felt very unlucky the whole day, because I looked for them in so many places, and because I spent so much time at the airport...at the end of the day I was more feeling like the most lucky girl on earth!! i mean...this kind of thing...how often does it happen?? I believe it's once in a lifetime!!! ;o)

Yeah, I'm that emily! We can definately talk about trading sometime. It's so cool that you acheived your goal of meeting the band! You rock!:up:

Heyeyeyeye!!
Emilie...you are the girl!!!
Thanks babe!! I am in fact very happy!! This is way beyond everything I ever wished!!
You are COOL!! You sent me my first U2 gift from the WIRE!!!
Thank you sooooo very much!! You definitely lighted my fire with U2!!!
:)

Hi there!
Yes...I am the girl that is alone with BONO!!
Yes!!! Way to go!!
Ain't the pic sooooo nice??
I feel lucky!!

Love
Tania

VERY NICE eye-witness report, my_kite!:yes:

And it's good to see U2 out together again - it's been way too long!:hug:

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY!;) :heart: :heart:

AHHAHAHAHHA!!
I can't believe it!! I shake everytime I see it!!!

Here we are

Us.jpg
[/IMG]

Is ain't so good...but it is for real...look at us, 'Stuck together with god's glue'!!! :)

It was the most BEAUTIFUL DAY I ever lived!! That's for sure!!!

Oh..i can see you screaming and jumping all over!!

By the way...it seems like the crazyness wont end!!
Today I received an e-mail from a radio station (the one where i first heard that 2 where here in Portugal) I kinda of now those guys from the radio!!
For what? They want me to tell the whole experience IN THE AIR!!! WOW!!! I can't believe it!! It's odd...but very nice!!!
So...this Friday...I'll tell it all in the radio!!! AIn't this crazy???

Hey...looks how it looked in the newspaper...

CM.jpg
[/IMG]

Hey...that's me...in the small right corner of the newspaper!!! :)

Back
Top Bottom