U2 on the Stand: December 2004*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/u2rs-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Caroline Eaton

With a new album in stores, it seems every magazine in the world is writing about U2. So what are the magazines worth buying? Interference.com has broken down the latest in American and British magazines featuring U2 and let you know whether to take it home or leave it on the stand.

Currently on Stands

Rolling Stone—Dec. 30, 2004-Jan. 13, 2005
At a Glance: $4.95; Pgs. 13, 156-162; “U2 Drops the Bomb”
Flipping Through: Writer David Fricke meets up with the band during their whirlwind weekend in New York, just prior to HTDAAB’s release on November 22nd. His coverage includes interviews with the band before their SNL appearance and discussions with Bono following the “All Because of You” filming.
u2rs.jpg

Soundbite: “We’ve closed the circle back to our first album. Maybe we should have called this one Man” (Bono).
Take It or Leave It: Take it. The December 9th issue was just to whet the appetite—this is Rolling Stone’s major coverage of the new album. Just as a caution, if you’re looking for great new pictures, there aren’t many to be found here. Aside from a full-page shot of Bono during the Brooklyn Bridge concert, the five remaining photographs are un-credited reprints.

Q—December 2004
At a Glance: £3.40/$8.75; Pgs. 80-81, 82, 126; "Elton vs. Bono," "2004 Q Awards," “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb [Review]"
Flipping Through: Although The Edge and Bono are featured on the cover this is the Q Awards issue—not a "U2 magazine" in the classic sense. There are only four band/Bono pages—two of Bono and Elton John, and a brief send-up of U2 on P. 82. However, for criticism junkies, this issue includes Q's wry "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" review (P. 126) that is definitely worth a look.
Soundbite: "U2 have effectively sampled themselves. It's a very U2 record . . . They've succeeded in not becoming crap quite admirably."
Take It or Leave It: Leave it. If you have $10 to spend there are better magazines to spend it on, but check out the HTDAAB review.

SPIN—December 2004
At a Glance: $3.99; Pgs. 58-68—"Mysterious Days"
Flipping Through: Chuck Klosterman's article revolves around one question: Is Bono for real or is he full of shit? Klosterman takes a long, winding road to get there, but his conclusion seems to be that he's a bit of both.
u2spin.jpg

Soundbite: "'We're gonna give these kids a ride,' says Bono. I look over my right shoulder at the girl from Austria, and I witness someone's mind being blown out of her skull. . . Bono drives recklessly, accelerating and braking at random . . .The teenagers aren't even talking. They're just kind of looking at each other, almost like they're afraid this is some Celtic version of 'Punk'd'."
Take It or Leave It: Take it. Klosterman's daring, his actually questioning Bono's sincerity—presumably a verboten subject among diehards—ultimately yields a startling new and valuable perspective on the U2 frontman.

Off Stands but Worth Looking For

Rolling Stone—Dec. 9, 2004
At a Glance: $4.95; Pg.172; "'Bomb' Hits Big"
Flipping Through: Rob Sheffield's review, where he gives HTDAAB four out of five stars, provides solid analysis of the album while also taking a moment to point out how it follows time-honored U2 traditions ("the album closing chitchat with the Lord," "experimental bathroom breaks," etc.).
Soundbite: "It's a reminder that what makes U2 so big isn't really their clever ideas, or even their intelligence—it's the warmth that all too few rock stars have any idea how to form into music."
Take It or Leave It: Toss up. If you've collected every single Rolling Stone U2 review, then obviously buy this magazine. Otherwise, if you're considering paying $5 for two pages, be advised that the review is available (sans the re-run Corbijn picture) for free at www.rollingstone.com.

Blender—November 2004
At a Glance: $3.99; Pgs. 112-122; "U2 Walk on Water"
Flipping Through: Reporter Adrian Deevoy catches up with the band in France, just before the now-famous nabbing of a demo disc. The article includes several photographs of the band standing in some sort of shallow body of water. Added attractions are the "10 Impertinent Questions for U2" column and a brief anecdote about Larry's fear of cats. Interestingly, in the track-by-track breakdown of the "magnificent, new album," the song order is significantly different—perhaps an original play-order that didn't survive?
Soundbite: Taking in Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen's massive yacht, Larry declares, "That is a ferry. A ferry with very influential friends."
Take It or Leave It: Take it. It's on the cheaper side as magazines go and the content (awkward photos, impertinent questions, etc.) equals a solid 10 pages on the band, including a good cover with a topless Larry for all you Hit Man fans.

Q—November 2004
At a Glance: £3.40/$8.75; Pgs. 68-77—"Riders on the Storm"
Flipping Through: This is a classic "U2 mag”—new photographs from Anton Corbijn, an extended interview with the band, and a healthy dose of name-dropping from Bono. During the interview, conducted during the summer as the band was finalizing the album's track list, the various members bounce ideas off managing editor Paul Reis, offering unique insight into the physical structure of the album. There is also a side bar with a track-by-track listing of the album, including band quotes on each song.
Soundbite: "It's never about competing with other bands. We compete with ourselves, with the idea of not becoming crap like everyone else does." (Bono)
Take It or Leave It: Take it. If you didn't spend that $10 on Q's December issue, find this one.

Uncut—November 2004
At a Glance: £4.20; $8.95; Pgs. 50-66; "Achtung Stations"
Flipping Through: With lots of Corbijn photographs, a bevy of quotes culled from Rolling Stone, NME, Uncut, SPIN, etc., and the occasional analytic digression, "Achtung Stations" provides a tidy introduction to/retrospective of U2, circa 1991-1993.
Soundbite: "I told somebody I though it was a dense record, and word got around that we were making a dance record." (Bono)
Take It or Leave It: Take it. If you're a devotee of early-90s U2, get this one.

Black Book—October/November 2004
At a Glance: $4.99; pgs. 124-131; “Bono vs. Helena Christensen”
Flipping Through: The premise of this photo spread (and it is predominantly photos—no article) is that Bono and Helena Christianson are great friends so the editors of Black Book have invited them to celebrate one another here.
Soundbite: “Sunstruck as I am/ I was just thinking/ How beauty makes its mark/ On everyone who looks”
Take It or Leave It: Toss up. If you're a die-hard Bono fan, you'll probably want to buy this. If you want the band and not just Bono, leave it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Los Angeles and I can't find Q, black Book, and Uncut. Can anyone tell me how to find these magazines or how to order them. thanx

mysticchild said:
I live in Los Angeles and I can't find Q, black Book, and Uncut. Can anyone tell me how to find these magazines or how to order them. thanx

Tower Records, Virgin Megastores and some Borders and Barnes & Nobles carry these titles. 7-Eleven carries Black Book.

Back
Top Bottom