Classic Track : Kite *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/reviews/kitethumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Gregory Mc Guire

kite.jpg

Under-shadowed by the opening bliss of All That You Can?t Leave Behind?s four singles, ?Kite? lies as the moody, rather emotional and rich-in-meaning fifth track. To look first at it musically, the song begins with an uncommon but fitting organ intro before kicking into serious action with an even less common searing slide-based riff by The Edge. Several rhythmic guitars comprise the layering of the song - one of Edge?s only pieces to make such use of dramatic sliding.

Lyrically, the focus of the song is a matter of some debate. To put it in very simple terms, it is about the acceptance of death as a part of life. ?I?m not afraid to die, I?m not afraid to live? denotes a seemingly calm acceptance of life, while ?and when I?m flat on my back, I hope you feel like I did? sounds as if the narrator is an old man, smiling as he remembers his long journey through life.

Bono has said before live, that ?Kite? is a song that ?I thought I wrote for my children, but I realised that my father wrote it for me.? It seems an almost definite foresight about his father?s passing in lines such as. ?I want you to know that you don?t need me anymore.?

The beauty of U2 lyrics in the past have been that so many different people get so many different meanings out of their songs. Whatever way you look at it though, ?Kite? seems like a passing-on song, the end of one generation at the start of another.

Bono?s posit during the chorus that ?I don?t know which way the wind will blow? feels like an acceptance by the narrator that although he is at comfort with the past, the future is as just an open field to him as it is to anyone else. The analogy of the ?kite blowing out of control in the breeze? is a simple metaphor for the uncertainty of life, and how a single gust of wind could change everything.

In the third verse, the narrator seems to come to a hitch. The cry of ?I?m a man, not a child? seems as much to him himself as to anyone - attempting to convince himself perhaps that yes, his time is up. Meanwhile, ?a man who sees the shadow behind your eyes? sounds as if he?s putting the person spoken to in his place, once again perhaps a sign that he is not as fully in acceptance as hinted so strongly in the first two verses.

The final verse seems like a summary of thought. ?Did I waste it? Not so much I couldn?t taste it,? Bono ponders, as if questioning all his decisions and motives while on his deathbed. Referring most likely to himself in the line ?the last of the rock stars,? his pride, content and acceptance, seemingly lost for a moment, appears restored.

Since his father?s death in August 2001, Bono has emotionally dedicated this song several times to Bob Hewson. Never then on the August 25th 2001 performance at Slane Castle, a mere 24-hours after the burial of his father, did ?Kite? take on so much emotion. And never have the lines ?I know that this is not goodbye? made so much sense. Is it possible Bono stating that this is a song that his father wrote for him mean that this is how he imagines his father felt about their last times together? Another clue to that is in the fact that he changes the line about the rock stars to ?the last of the opera stars? (referring to Bob) during the concert.

In conclusion, I believe that ?Kite? is an insightful and beautiful song, one U2?s greatest, in fact. And indeed my lyrical interpretations are, of course, only my own and you are free to take your own meaning out of the song, as Bono has so often publicly encouraged.

Sl?n until the next column!

Copyright ? 2003 Gregory McGuire.

Kite does have an elegant beauty....funny, I can remember not liking the song much at first but now it reaches a chord with me......maybe after seeing it live and seeing the bands emotion as they played it........"I'm a man not a child" is one of Bono's most forceful statements ever.

Yes, I too never really liked it much at first, but it's really grown on me lately, especially after I heard it played over the sound system before assembly at school one morning (I nearly fell over when I heard them playing ATYCLB!). It's a great song. I love some of the lyrics.

Was quite easily my favorite track off the album when I first purchased it and it remains that to this day. It also makes my top 10 list of greatest U2 songs ever.

When I fist put ATYCLB in my player Kite was one of the sonsg that grabbed me first. Beautiful lyrics, Beautiful emotion, Beautiful Song!

My friend did not become a U2 fan until "Kite". She says the song represents a message from a close and personal friend of hers that committed suicide several years ago.

this is most likely one of my all time favourite songs from any band on the face of the earth, especially since im a U2 fan.

it's because this song really hit me- i didn't know anyone who has died that was close to me, but i was wondering as a teenager about life and death (what it all means).

and then i realised after listening to this song on repeat for 4 hours, life is about living while you have the chance and doing all the things you want to do before you die.
death is not about the end, but facing the fact that you've accomplished the things you want in your life. because we are all going to die- no one lives forever (only memories) its about whether you feel you are ready to let go yourself or of someone you love and need in your life and wanting to say and do things with that person.

its complicated and im probably going on, but bear with me because i feel listening to this song and 'when i look at the world' bring up these feelings perfectly for me------> and then im at peace

that song is one of the best songs i have ever heard in my life. when my grandma died this year, that song helped me in ways i never imagined. it means something different every time i hear it.

acbt1212 said:
that song is one of the best songs i have ever heard in my life. when my grandma died this year, that song helped me in ways i never imagined. it means something different every time i hear it.

I know exactly what you mean.....
I lost my grandmother in April and as much as I loved this song before....it was a true blessing after her passing.

The best U2 lyric of all-time:

"I'm not afraid to die. I'm not afraid to live. And when I'm flat on my back, I hope to feel like I did."

Swan269 said:
...."I'm a man not a child" is one of Bono's most forceful statements ever.

Absolutely.
Having lost my dad I find it a beautifully comforting song, it mixes the angst and the acceptance of death, and Bono sings it perfectly.

I think the end of the song is in reference to the early 90's during zoo tv---" the last of the rock stars" were u2 and Bono "when hip-hop drove the big cars" when Rap and hip hop kinda ruled things "in the time when new media-was the big idea"-zoo tv was all about "new media"-tv, internet, etc....I think it was Bono reflecting on what they were in the early 90's----

Back
Top Bottom