Introspect: My Big Bono Moment*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632debbiebono_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Debbie Kreuser

Bono moments. Many of us have heard about them. Many of us have had them. Some Bono moments are asked for while others are freely given. I've been fortunate enough to have several Bono moments that have been given to me, freely and quite unexpectedly. This is a firsthand account of my latest Bono moment, an exchange between Bono and myself of words and information, but also of our hearts and maybe even our souls.

What was the spark that set off this memorable exchange between Bono and myself? A birthday gift for him. But not just any birthday gift—a very meaningful one for him. Let me explain.

Back in October 2004, I wrote about my trip to Memphis, Tennessee, to participate in the activities surrounding Bono's receipt of the National Civil Rights Museum's Passion for Change award for his humanitarian activities for Africa.

Being honored with Bono was Rep. John Lewis (D-GA), a personal friend and fellow civil rights activist with Martin Luther King Jr. As a student organizer of the Freedom Rides through the South in the early 1960s, Lewis risked his own life several times in the pursuit of racial justice in the United States.

I knew that Lewis and Bono had met before. Earlier in 2004, Lewis had accompanied Bono to King's gravesite where Bono laid a bouquet of white roses to honor King right before Bono received the King Center's "Salute to Greatness" award for his humanitarian activities for Africa, an event I attended.

During the activities in Memphis, Bono kept mentioning much he admired Lewis' personal courage, sense of justice and adherence to nonviolence over his lifetime. Bono referred to how Lewis was a personal hero of his. So when Lewis came to the University of Texas in Austin (where I live) on April 29, 2005 to speak about his life and his participation in the Civil Rights Movement, I knew I had to go. Lewis was on a tour to promote his newly published book of memoirs entitled "Walking With the Wind," chronicling his youth in segregationist Alabama and his rise to the top of the civil rights movement.

I also knew that before his talk, Lewis would be available to meet the public and sign copies of his book. A friend of mine and I went to meet and greet Lewis. When we got to the event, he was already sitting at the table signing autographs in his new book. We purchased our books and got in line. My friend got her book signed first. She told him how she was a graduate student in music and how she hoped to put her love of music to benefit Africa. Lewis encouraged her by reminding her that music played a pivotal role in the civil rights movement. Often it was the freedom songs that people sang that gave them the strength to continue their struggle.

Then it was my turn. I greeted Lewis and thanked him for his contributions to the Civil Rights movement. I then showed him pictures of himself and Bono being honored in Memphis and he was thrilled that I'd been there. I told Lewis that I was leaving in a week to go to Chicago to see U2 in concert, and that I'd see Bono on his birthday. Lewis smiled and told me what "a nice young man" Bono is and relayed a story of how earlier this year for his 65th birthday; Bono had sent him a really special message/gift that touched Lewis’ heart.

I asked him if he would like to sign my copy of his book with a personal message for Bono for his birthday. He wholeheartedly agreed and signed my book to Bono. I thanked him again for all that he has done in his life to promote and create a world of peace and justice. I left Lewis with two pictures that I'd taken of himself and Bono in Memphis standing in the exact spot on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel (now the NCRM) where King was shot.

After the talk, I approached Lewis one more time right before he was ready to leave to thank him again for his inspiring example and to reassure him that the book, which by now had almost transformed itself partly into Lewis' birthday gift for Bono, would be delivered personally by me. Lewis smiled and said 'Thank you" and waved at my friend and me as he left the building.

About a week later, on my way to Chicago, I began to realize just what an important responsibility I had asked for. This book, now with a personal birthday message in it for Bono written by one of King's closest and most trusted associates and friends and one of Bono's personal heroes, had to be delivered. If I failed to deliver it, I'd feel like I'd let Lewis down.

I was planning on giving it to Bono during the fan line outside the United Center on Saturday, May 7th, but I got there about 30 minutes after Bono arrived. Disappointed, I made up my mind that Monday, May 9th, would be the big day when I would give Bono the book.

I got to the fan line about 1:30 pm on Monday. I met a friend there and we stood in the second row of people to greet U2. Things were orderly until U2 started to arrive and then the shoving and the pushing started. First, The Edge showed up and got out of his car briefly to shake hands with the crowd. All the shoving and pushing to shake Edge's hand and take his picture had now put me dangerously close to the third row of fans. I was beginning to worry about my chances of getting to Bono that day.

My friend had another friend, Blair, in the first row of fans who had already seen the book and the personal message for Bono from Lewis in it and recognized that this book definitely needed to get to Bono for his birthday. She assured me that she would do her best to help me deliver this book to Bono. And then, Bono's car pulled up in the driveway.

The crowd was ecstatic with everyone trying to get Bono's attention. I was opposite where he started so the people on my side had plenty of time to position themselves with their requests for Bono. Finally, he made it to our side. Blair had managed to secure me a spot next to her, so I knew the moment was near.

As Bono was approaching Blair, he saw her button of John Lennon with the phrase "Listen to This Button" on it. As Lennon is one of Bono's heroes, the button naturally, intrigued him. He smiled at Blair and said, "I have to listen to this button.” Blair blurted out "No, you have to listen to her." A bit baffled, Bono exclaimed, "I do?" and directed his attention to me.

I showed Bono the book that I'd been carrying for over a week. He was immediately enthralled by the book and began talking about how much he admires Lewis and how Lewis is a personal hero of his. I mentioned to Bono that I'd been in Memphis for the Passion for Change events and he smiled again. Then, with cameras rolling for the Chicago DVD that is to be made for the Vertigo tour and with about 300 people watching, I showed Bono the special birthday message that Lewis had written for him. I told Bono the story of how I obtained this now-priceless birthday present for him, all the while looking straight into Bono's eyes as he kept his eyes fixed on me.

Along with the book, I'd brought Bono another birthday present that I knew he would appreciate, a small photo album of around two dozen pictures that I'd taken over the last three years of various events where Bono had spoken about Africa, DATA and The One Campaign. These events included the Salute to Greatness awards ceremony in Atlanta in January 2004, the Passion for Change awards ceremony and activities in Memphis in October 2004 and the very first DATA event at the "Heart of America" tour date in Lincoln, Nebraska, on World AIDS Day 2002.

I told Bono that the pictures I took of him on the Heart of America tour were very special since audience members weren't supposed to take pictures of that event. I told Bono that I snuck in the camera anyway and took these "illegal" pictures of him. Everyone laughed at this, especially Bono, who jumped back and exclaimed, "illegal photos." I gave the photo album to him and he said, "For Me?" seemingly surprised that someone would be so thoughtful toward him. I said, "Yes, Bono, they're for you. I want you to have these to help you remember some of my memories of you."

As Bono took the photo album, I could see something happening on Bono's face, in his eyes, in his smile. I'm not sure what exactly happened but I truly think that Bono remembered me. I think something clicked inside him and he remembered the woman who greeted him at these various events and took these pictures of him in the photo book he was now holding. I think he remembered how intensely I listened to his words, kneeled motionless in front of him during his speech at the Salute to Greatness awards ceremony (while I was supposed to be taking pictures) and how sincerely I greeted him after these events.

Whatever it was that "clicked" for Bono, it made him take action. Bono, who'd earlier said that he would “take no pictures that day” suddenly said, "I gotta get a picture with you." The crowd was stunned and I was speechless. In all my nearly 25 years of following U2 and after numerous opportunities, I had never asked Bono for anything—a picture, an autograph, a hug, a kiss, etc. But now, for the second time in my life, Bono was asking to give me a moment with him. It was like he wanted a visual reminder of our latest encounter. I eagerly agreed and handed John Sampson my camera and he took a beautiful picture of Bono and me.

I was totally unprepared for this. I'd no illusions of being singled out by Bono for special attention. I'd simply come to complete a "mission" and to give Bono a birthday present that I'd hoped would be truly cherished by him. It evidently was.

11632debbiebono.jpg

In posing for this picture, I wasn't sure what to do. Do I attempt to hold Bono, ask him to hold me (tighter) or just allow him to do whatever came naturally to him? I opted for the third choice so I just stood still, letting his face press next to mine. All I kept saying was, "Thank you, Bono," the same words that he has heard me say to him many times at our previous meetings. After the picture was taken, Bono proceeded to "listen" to Blair's John Lennon button, sign a few more autographs and then headed back into the car for sound check at the United Center.

The next day, Bono's 45th birthday, Bono came back down the fan line at the United Center. I had brought a big, bright, beautiful bouquet of flowers to celebrate his very special day. When he saw me, Bono smiled broadly, held my hand and simply said, "Thanks for all you're doing," referring to a picture that I'd given him of me during one of my volunteer opportunities for The One Campaign. As Bono continued down the fan line, I asked one of the security guards if he could hand the purple iris flower I'd brought to Ali Hewson who was sitting in the car. I briefly explained the significance of the iris for Bono to the guard and he agreed to hand her the flower. As the car rolled down the driveway, I thought that I saw Bono hold the iris out the window and then wave as if to say "Thanks.”

We would all like our Bono moments to last forever. This one, for me, will always be extra special because this was a Bono moment that Bono wished to give to me. I didn't have to plead for it, I didn't have to struggle for it. It was already written in the stars. And I don't wonder if I will share another magical moment with Bono either, I simply know that I will.

Actually, the original title of the article was "All I Want Is To Get Right Next To You: My Incredible Bono Moment" but I guess that was a bit too much for a title.:wink:

It WAS an incredible experience, almost a transcendent experience but my motivation came from "that other place".

And when we do anything "In the Name of Love", we are somehow rewarded.

Thank you so much for the heartfelt feedback. :up:

I remember reading your story and seeing pics back in May when this occurred in Chicago. I remember sharing the story with my family as well. (I cried then & now!)

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and all that you do & have done in the name of love :hug:

This story made me cry, because I am so very happy that you got to share such a special moment with this man who is so special to you, and to all of us.

Your passion for working on the ONE Campaign and your drive to make the world a better place shines through in your posts. No doubt Bono saw your caring, concern and commitment when you met.

Thank you, Debbie, for sharing this story with us, and for all you've done in the past and will do in the future!

I believe that Bono saw exactly what you described in me as we were talking.

What I really thought was so great of Bono was as the conversation developed, he let me speak more than himself.

I was a bit self-conscious about this because I really am a shy person like Bono, but I knew that he wanted the DVD people and the crowd to hear and see that one of them - an ordinary person -can speak with as much passion and love for Africa as he does.

I think he wanted people to see that it's truly not just rich Rock stars that will go to work for Africa's Future.

Thanks, Bono, for letting an ordinary person speak their personal passion and concern for Africa.

Such an extraordinary man.:angel:

Wow. That's such a wonderful story! :up: :applaud:
Grace, friendship, joy, respect, awe and connections! And I'm sure bono doesn't get surprised too often! Thanks for sharing & all you do! :)
rock on....

I think you're very correct, p8ru2.

Bono has probably seen it all, heard it all and put up with it all, so you know something of a different nature (probably Higher nature) is happening between Bono anda person when he is taken off guard (in a positive way) and reacts as enthusiastically and sincerely as he did.

It is still a transcendent moment that I am trying to fully comprehend. :angel:

:hug:
Jamila, I have to say, you are one of the most humble people I know of. I admire modesty and have utmost adoration of your unending focus on the cause, not your own 'good deeds' and how people need to aspire to great things - things you don't realise you yourself possess. I hope vanity never finds you!

:up:

Angela, you are too right.

Jamila, you really need to tell the world about all the work you do, it is truly amazing and inspiring. And the modesty is astounding. A very rare quality, indeed. I am so happy to see U2 fans getting out there and spreading Bono's message of love.

"Grace finds beauty in everything" :heart:

Dear Deabbie,
I wrote you several days ago, but now I came bach here because I felt there was something I must add.
You know, I think that what you've done, the picture book, the signature oon the book for Bono are really amazing things.
In a sense, you made me feel ashame of being selfish: I think I would never think about doing the things you did.
It's incredible that you get to the idea of make such a special present to Bono and I am really happy that he decided to share something with you.
So, thanks Debbie: for your work, your words on this forum, your passion in doing special thing.
Than you.

We should all thank Jamila for her qualities, she's a source of optimism and love :up: everytime I read her posts I just feel the LOVE she's eager to spread.
And I'm sure Bono will remember her :hug:

Thank you all for your very kind and sincere words for me.

I truly am humbled.

And MissMaCo, I hope you're right.

I'll have several more opportunities to meet up with the B-man this Fall during the third leg.

I can only hope that we will get the time to speak again.

It evidently is good for both of us.:hug:

Sweetheart, no negativity here - please.

I'll let the story speak for itself.

If Bono didn't want to spend the inordinate amount of time that he spent in the conversation - he simply would have cut the conversation short and moved on - he was in a hurry.

And the fact that he said he was taking no pics that day and then asked me to take that pic with him would point to the fact that he truly enjoyed the conversation.

I hope that answers your question, ageeth.

LOVE AND PEACE....:yes:

Jamila, I don't believe it's appropriate to be building yourself up by belittling other U2 fans.
You may perceive you received an "inordinate" amount of Bonos time. Others may perceive you as pushing in the way of other fans. Others again may perceive Bonos/Bonos bodyguards request to take a photo of you as taking a photo for the stalker file. Who knows? Only Bono (and his bodyguard.)

What I would like to say is that I personally find your observations of your meeting Bono to be patronising and rude to other U2 fans.

All U2 fans are equal. Every last one of them. There is no hierarchy.
The fan who does charity work is not more important than any other fan.
The fan who has many albums is not more important than any other fan.
The fan who has been to many concerts is not more important than any other fan.
The fan who believes in the Christian God is not more important than any other fan.

peace

dear Jamila,

Since when am I not allowed to answer one of your threads when you don't like the answer?

I'm happy for you that you could give that book to Bono. But it seems like you see yourself as a better fan than all the other U2 fans...
And to say you know how Bono feels, that seems to me as a big joke. I hope you're not that naive...

LOVE AND PEACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom