Introspect: My Big Bono Moment*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
im sorry, it's great you got to meet bono and give him a gift, but the whole tone and arrogance of the story just makes me want to :barf: :barf: :barf:

beli said:
Jamila, I don't believe it's appropriate to be building yourself up by belittling other U2 fans.
You may perceive you received an "inordinate" amount of Bonos time. Others may perceive you as pushing in the way of other fans. Others again may perceive Bonos/Bonos bodyguards request to take a photo of you as taking a photo for the stalker file. Who knows? Only Bono (and his bodyguard.)

What I would like to say is that I personally find your observations of your meeting Bono to be patronising and rude to other U2 fans.

All U2 fans are equal. Every last one of them. There is no hierarchy.
The fan who does charity work is not more important than any other fan.
The fan who has many albums is not more important than any other fan.
The fan who has been to many concerts is not more important than any other fan.
The fan who believes in the Christian God is not more important than any other fan.

peace

5stars.gif

For some reason I feel the need to step in here. I was mentioned in Debbie's experience with Bono and after reading some of the self-righteous posts I really feel used and I don't even want to have an association with the experience. In a way I feel slightly wounded. I didn't do what I did for the story but I did what I did because its who I am. At the time I didn't know it would be flaunted on the internet. I shared my story with others in another thread not because I wanted 'recognition' but because I thought it was a great experience and really showed what kind of a person Bono is.

May I just ask why when the article by "Party Girl" from Chicago ran as an article here, no one else had this reaction?

That was a very self-centered article too.

I'm not putting that article down - she had the right to have it posted on the front page of Interference but what makes that article any different than this one? Nothing I can see.

Blair, you brought me up in your original post about that incident without my knowledge so I thought it was acceptable for me to bring you back up now.

I think you're a wonderful person and HARBOR NO ONE ANY ILL NOW.

Life will give us all what we deserve no matter what others say.

Please live in LOVE AND PEACE....:up:

Jamila said:
May I just ask why when the article by "Party Girl" from Chicago ran as an article here, no one else had this reaction?

I'm not putting that article down - she had the right to have it posted on the front page of Interference but what makes that article any different than this one? Nothing I can see.

Nobody had this kind of reaction because the article wasn't remotely self-centered. It was a simple interview, not a monologue that read like a cheesy romance novel. I don't recall Stories for Boys ("Party Girl") saying things like "I think that this particular encounter with Bono was SO SPECIAL and different than the regular 'fan' encounter that I'm trying to see if I can get my story as a feature on Interference's homepage" before her story got published here.

To be honest, your meeting wasn't anymore special than the meetings thousands of other fans have had with Bono.

Jamila said:

Blair, you brought me up in your original post about that incident without my knowledge so I thought it was acceptable for me to bring you back up now.

I think you're a wonderful person and HARBOR NO ONE ANY ILL NOW.

Life will give us all what we deserve no matter what others say.

Please live in LOVE AND PEACE....:up:

someone from interference contacted me requesting the interview. if granting that request and sharing with others the pure joy i felt is self-centered, then i guess i am. sorry.

Jamila said:

I had no problem with you mentioning me in what you wrote. I just don't want to be associated with the attitude you portrayed in subsequent posts.

Jamila, you are hysterical. Considering the absolutely repulsive arrogance and superiority in your article - and in your general posting on the forum - you're in utterly no position to be accusing anyone else of self-centredness, and certainly not someone as genuinely lucky as Stories For Boys.

Please stop wearing masks. All of us can see through your fake humility, cheesy catchphrases, and excessive smileys.

Axver said:
Jamila, you are hysterical. Considering the absolutely repulsive arrogance and superiority in your article - and in your general posting on the forum - you're in utterly no position to be accusing anyone else of self-centredness, and certainly not someone as genuinely lucky as Stories For Boys.

Please stop wearing masks. All of us can see through your fake humility, cheesy catchphrases, and excessive smileys.

:bow:

First. the most self-centered thing to do is to judge another's motivations and character.

I have torn nobody down in this thread but am bombarded by a string of assaults most of them by people who have a history of assaulting me in other threads over the last year.

"Introspect" columns have traditionally been columns of introspection or of someone's personal view on a matter, so an "Introspect" column would have to do with the way someone perceives an event.

The most insightful thing about this assault which started yesterday on me is. at the same time that people had nothing better to do than to bash me (a very negative thing to do)

I was hundreds of miles away at a Peace Conference in Dallas facilitating a workshop for educators on Children in Poverty worldwide and on ways to instill in our children a better Social Conscience! (a very POSITIVE thing to do)

So, while you are judging me, I am trying to do something good in our world!

HOW IRONIC AND INSIGHTFUL IS THAT?

The simple answer is: be the change you want to see in the world. Spread Joy and Peace and Love and Friendship and it is amazing how it will come back to you at the right times and with the right people.

Continue to flame me and you only continue to flame yourself on a Higher Level (check the Bible). And flaming people when they are simply trying to do things out of Love and Peace is a good way to not get the recognition you desire in life.

Now that the flames have been tossed my way and some of you have had a good laugh at my expense, why don't you leave this alone and go out and DO SOMETHING POSITIVE in the world?

It will make you feel happier inside and less inclined to tear down another.

I have things to do now. :yes:

Before I leave for the house for awhile, I want to stress one more thing.

After this experience happened with Bono, I was besieged by others in the crowd who asked me if I knew Bono personally because the conversation they witnessed seemed more personal and relaxed than some of the other "fan" encounters that they had witnessed.

I told no - I don't know the man directly but have been at events where he probably now remembers that he has seen me and briefly talked to me about the issue which matters to his heart - Africa Future's.

This recognition by him is what probably made him feel comfortable in the conversation - like he was talking to an ally for Africa rather than a fan looking for something from him.

I have had a few other brief Bono moments which I will not post about only because I really would like to keep my moments more private (I'm not alluding to anything that needs to be kept secret here).

But many people, both here at Interference and the fan line in Chicago and elsewhere ASKED ME TO WRITE THIS STORY for them, so I did.

I hoped that people could see it as a teaching story - that when you persevere and do things in life with all your heart and with the best motivations, Life will reward you.

As I said, I have been a U2 follower for nearly 25 years now and I still don't have an autograph from any of them. I normally keep myself in the background when I'm around U2 but this time was a special time that put me in the right place at the right time

and it is really unfair to castigate it or put it down.

Create your own positive aura around yourself and you might just get the recognition you deserve from the people you hope will recognize you.

Now, I really do have to leave the house.

But I wanted people to know other U2 fans actually DID ask me to write this story. I

If this story is not for you, leave it alone and find someplace where you're happy.

Why would you want to stay here and be miserable?:lol:

Unless you like misery.

Jamila said:
First. the most self-centered thing to do is to judge another's motivations and character.

Agreed. Please cease.

Jamila said:

"Introspect" columns have traditionally been columns of introspection or of someone's personal view on a matter, so an "Introspect" column would have to do with the way someone perceives an event.

Agreed but this does not give you the right to write about the way Bono perceives the event to have occured.

Jamila said:

The most insightful thing about this assault which started yesterday on me is. at the same time that people had nothing better to do than to bash me (a very negative thing to do)

I was hundreds of miles away at a Peace Conference in Dallas facilitating a workshop for educators on Children in Poverty worldwide and on ways to instill in our children a better Social Conscience! (a very POSITIVE thing to do)

So, while you are judging me, I am trying to do something good in our world!

HOW IRONIC AND INSIGHTFUL IS THAT?

And what was I doing today? Do you know? Or are you judging me sight unseen? What about the other posters in this thread? Do you know what they were doing today? (or any other day for that matter) Posting you don't believe in judging people and then immediately judging some of the posters in this thread and slandering them is indeed ironic.

Jamila said:

Continue to flame me and you only continue to flame yourself on a Higher Level (check the Bible).

I'm personally not a Christian so I'm not interested in your Bible. I'm not too sure to whom your comments are directed. My apologies if this comment was directed to some other poster who is a Christian and likes being threatened with eternal damnation.

Jamila said:

And flaming people when they are simply trying to do things out of Love and Peace is a good way to not get the recognition you desire in life.

I'm personally not into recognition. Never have been. Here lies the fundamental difference between you and me.

Jamila said:

Now that the flames have been tossed my way and some of you have had a good laugh at my expense, why don't you leave this alone and go out and DO SOMETHING POSITIVE in the world?

It will make you feel happier inside and less inclined to tear down another.

I hope so. I would love to see the day you cease tearing down other U2 fans by building yourself up.

As for other U2 fans who have written their story, my apologies if any offense was implied. I've not been taken aback in anger by any other fans description of meeting U2. I find most other stories delightful, and respectful to both the band members concerned and to fellow U2 fans.

Anyway, I've said my peace. I'm out.

Peace

Why have people assaulted jamila in the past? because of her stories? or the way she belittles other u2 fans? is there a biased view on her?Thats the way I see it. And by the way- I didnt see any attitude or arrogance in her story at all. it what you people read into it with your biased views. I havent gotten the time to know her at all but she doesnt seem belittling at all not in this post any way or in her story.

Colours4U2 said:
Why have people assaulted jamila in the past? because of her stories? or the way she belittles other u2 fans? is there a biased view on her?Thats the way I see it. And by the way- I didnt see any attitude or arrogance in her story at all. it what you people read into it with your biased views. I havent gotten the time to know her at all but she doesnt seem belittling at all not in this post any way or in her story.

:scratch: Are you Jamila's little sisther or a Alt??

No but its simple=If you dont like a persons story you dont have to berate it or say you dont like it in a nice way. i saw one person post that she didnt like it and then all others jumped in and berated her. thats what I saw. And Im not being biased. But really- I came in here to read a Bono story and I got a person hacked to pieces for it. Yikes.

Colours4U2 said:
No but its simple=If you dont like a persons story you dont have to berate it or say you dont like it in a nice way. i saw one person post that she didnt like it and then all others jumped in and berated her. thats what I saw. And Im not being biased. But really- I came in here to read a Bono story and I got a person hacked to pieces for it. Yikes.

Are you meaning me....?
And if so,what wasnt nice what i said?

I think all that needs to be said has been said here.

Jamila's article went through the editing process, and while that will probably be met with incredulity too, I didn't feel that her article was offensive. It's certainly possible that Bono was moved to see the book from Dr. Lewis, and other things written about in the article. I felt the article was sweet and not arrogant. I think we all can be considered judgemental here in a couple ways - but that is where perception takes over.

Let's not keep attacking each other. Personal attacks are not welcome here. If you have an issue with Jamila, please take it off of the forum and discuss it with her on your own time.

I think everyone has made their points here, and everyone has a valid one that perhaps it would behoove all to truly sit down and consider. I realize what I have said here will probably do nothing to quell anything or stand up as a way to have closure on this. But please understand that I can't allow the personal attacks to continue, and for this reason I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom