Book Review: 'U2 & i' By Anton Corbijn*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11632antonbook_thumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Devlin Smith, Contributing Editor

Once upon a time five young men sat in a diner and discussed their collective future. Four of the young men, up-and-coming musicians from Ireland, were looking for someone to chart their progress and eventual world domination. Was the fifth young man, a Dutch photographer, up for the challenge? Could he spare at least the next 20 years of his life?

That may not be exactly how it happened but it is Anton Corbijn's version, as presented in the new coffee table book "U2 & i," available from Schirmer/Mosel. In his intro to the 400-plus page look back at the relationship between photographer and band, Corbijn paints a slightly magical picture of his first meeting with U2 in New Orleans 23 years ago, imaging the five of them instantly striking a collaborative deal that would last more than two decades.

11632antonbook_cover.jpg

(Image courtesy U2-corbijn.com)

Maybe that first meeting wasn't magical; in honesty Corbijn wasn't too impressed with U2 on first listen, but something happened in that first photo shoot that led the band to ask the photographer to take its picture again and again and again. The band and photographer would work together for magazine shoots, album covers, videos and, sometimes, just for fun.

Captured in "U2 & i" are some of the most memorable images in rock history—from a young band huddled in the snow, to a slightly older band huddled in the desert to a maturing band clowning by the sea. As the photos progress, so does the talent and stature of both band and photographer, each becoming more comfortable and confident with their respective gifts.

11632antonbook_jt.jpg

The working relationship between U2 and Corbijn is unmatched in any medium; it's nearly impossible to think of one without picturing the other. Looking through this book, it's easy to understand why the relationship has lasted, and flourished, as it has. There is an amazing amount of love and respect between band and photographer—not only does U2 call on Corbijn when wanting to document new looks and phases in its career, the individual members also invite Corbijn into their homes and take trips together. He knows them on stage, in the studio, on set, at home, with friends, with family—and that knowledge and experience leads the photographer to take pictures of the band no one else could because no one knows U2 like Corbijn does.

11632antonbook_ab.jpg

That closeness is explored in the book through 22 years of photographs, Corbijn's handwritten notes (which can be a little hard to read at times) and introductory articles written by notables including Bill Clinton and Wim Wenders. Among the intros, Corbijn's own is the best, with an interview between Bono and Corbijn, (where it seems Bono the interviewer talks more than Corbijn the subject) and a small piece by Michael Stipe (who has also been on the other side of Corbijn's lens) also being highlights. The short pieces submitted by Clinton, Salman Rushdie and Helena Christensen do little to add anything to the book, not shedding new light on why the U2/Corbijn relationship works so well, and probably could have been left out.

11632antonbook_elev.jpg

Weak introductory articles aside, there is very little to criticize this book about, except Corbijn's time line. A picture of Bono, wife Ali Hewson and baby Jordan is dated February 1989 though Bono's eldest wasn't born until May of that year. A great picture of Edge and wife Morleigh Steinberg showing Edge wearing a shirt that says, "Happy Fortieth Dad You Rock Star You," is dated August 2002 (the guitarist turned 40 in 2001). These date slips aren't major but for the details-obsessed U2 fan, these mistakes can be grating.

Beyond the words and dates, it really is all about the photos, and what photos these are. If you were mesmerized by the dour-looking four men in the California desert, if you giggled at them not-quite-successfully dressed in drag, if you got the pimps in polyester thing, if you wanted to be frolicking in the sea with a mermaid as well, "U2 & i" will bring back so many great memories and magic moments, and leave you with few doubts that the working relationship between U2 and Corbijn will never be rivaled.

I just got this book last week, and I've been unable to put it down. The photos are amazing, and the trust between Corbijn and the band is obvious. Even though it is more than 400 pages long, I still wish there had been room for even more photos. Wow!

Back
Top Bottom