Interference Plebiscite: Abdicate or Mediate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeepers. I was busy and sick for a day or two and now everyone's got themselves convinced that it's all a pack of lies. Remember how "Creed" used to be censored? I think it's time for "beLIEve" to be censored. :rolleyes: Get a new cliche.

I guess right now I don't really give a shit if The Edge is The Edge or not. If Joel, or, as some of you obliquely refer to him, "the site's owner," is lying, then I'm gone. If someone else is lying, and was allowed to get away with it, ditto.

But all this detective work is fascinating. All the time zone work, all the demands for public acknowledgment on Edge's part, which would really fuck this place up by the way, all the analysis of writing styles, the comparisons of punctuation usage. Why? Have you all put that much effort into figuring out who to vote for for school board? Because that actually matters.

The @U2 link is interesting. Matt's been critical of Joel before, so that's nothing new.

I was busy lately, and it was nice to be away from this soap opera. Have we let Edge posting completely ruin this place? Whether it was him or not, why does it consume so much of our time?

Why does it matter if the band interview was conducted by email, by phone, in person, or by carrier pigeons? That's a real question, by the way, not a rhetorical one.

martha said:

Why does it matter if the band interview was conducted by email, by phone, in person, or by carrier pigeons? That's a real question, by the way, not a rhetorical one.

Of course it doesn't matter how the interview was conducted (although carrier pigeons would have been cool). What matters is that the way in which the interview was conduced was wrapped from day one in a thick gauzy veil of mystery, for no reason that anyone was willing to offer. The question was asked many times and received strange answers to the effect it was a "one off" interview, which is no answer at all. So yes, the only reason it matters is that no one seemed willing to offer any kind of actual scenario. No one likes a mystery, especially if there's no reason for one.

Angela Harlem said:

The whole point was my disbelief that this is Edge, had always been the problem. Do I think it is Edge? Hell no. I actually have a strong suspicion on who the actual person is, but unlike the reasons for my disbelief and proof of, I dont have any actual proof in this area (being who it is, not being Edge)... Just a whole bunch of suspicious question marks.

I have suspects too as far as the whole thing goes, but I am convinced katey wrote the 'interference interuption' thread post title, initial post and poem.

But, as our rules state, members can have alters as long as they are not abused. Members can post with their chosen nicknames without fear of being harrassed. Despite my absolute belief that Interference is being outright lied to, the person who is using this nick (unfortunately) still has the same rights as everyone else.

Ah, but are anyone else's alters given the status 'officially the real thing?'

I put unfortunately here in brackets because this happens to have evolved as one of the most contentious issues this site has seen in a long time, and like I said before, I truly think the person behind this alter has brought all this on him/herself. Go wave a nice juicy t-bone infront of a hungry German Sheppard, but dont come whinging to me when it bites you.

True. The person(s) have brought it all on themselves, however, I have a feeling others are going to be blamed and suffer for it (including you, and yours truly) The biggest thing we all want to know is, WHY?:|

I have suspects too as far as the whole thing goes, but I am convinced katey wrote the 'interference interuption' thread post title, initial post and poem.

Gee how could I have guessed you would assume it to be me??
Right off the money there..But I give you points for trying.Really now common at least get something substantial besides gee you seem to write and make the same spelling mistakes. However if this little concept makes you happy I am more then willing to take the heat here it seems thats all your after is a fall girl then sure hey I have really big shoulders lay it on.

damn it, i hate posting in the forum... i do so much better working behind the scenes. But when I feel compelled to do what I must... then I must.

U2Kitten and those who share her same misguided conspiracy theory pertaining to Katey; I can personally reassure you she is not "The Edge".

I am one of the all time best conspiracy theorists... and I could come to the conclusion that you, my dear are "Bono". are you?

biff said:

Of course it doesn't matter how the interview was conducted (although carrier pigeons would have been cool). What matters is that the way in which the interview was conduced was wrapped from day one in a thick gauzy veil of mystery, for no reason that anyone was willing to offer. The question was asked many times and received strange answers to the effect it was a "one off" interview, which is no answer at all. So yes, the only reason it matters is that no one seemed willing to offer any kind of actual scenario. No one likes a mystery, especially if there's no reason for one.

That's true. I've been noticing more that nearly every interview I've read puts that inteview in a frame of reference, giving the reader some details on the meeting, phone call, or email contact. It allows the reader to get a better feel for the mood and tenor of the conversation. Obviously, the preferred method would be the face to face meeting, as it allows both the interviewer and the interviewee to use all senses to communicate. The U2 interview here glances over that set up and leaves the reader wondering just who is being inteviewed and how (ok, now we know it was done by email -- too bad it couldn't at least have been done via telephone). I really haven't read a full fledged U2 interview in years, but this interview has the feel of being from one person...and if it's from one member of U2, why wouldn't it say so?

To me it has the feel of something answered, or at the very least typed up by someone in the U2 marketing machine, and not by the actual band members, although one or more might have been asked the questions. The whole "we" thing is odd to me if it was the actual members typing back, and as I previously said, it feels as if one person wrote it.

Of course, does it really matter? Well, it's touted as being an interview with U2, yet it reads like a publicity release and that, I think, is makes many people feel cheated -- as if it's a bit of a bait and switch scheme. So I guess the answer to the question, does it matter, depends on the person. I read it and I realize U2 is no longer (and maybe never was) Paul, Dave, Adam, and Larry, but rather them, their manager, and the whole U2 marketing machine. I think that is the U2 in that interview.

Not sure if this post will make sense to anyone but me!

I guess right now I don't really give a shit if The Edge is The Edge or not. If Joel, or, as some of you obliquely refer to him, "the site's owner," is lying, then I'm gone. If someone else is lying, and was allowed to get away with it, ditto.

^^^ That is exactly why it does matter.
Not only do I come to Interference to find out the up to the second news on U2 and what color goggles Bono is wearing today, but I also come to this site pretty much on a daily basis to get my fill of wonderful/funny/sad/excited/ etc... post by people, some I don't know in the real world and some that I have become friends with, :)wave: Martha) and I don't want those people to LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I see "beLIEve" one more time, I will vomit.

brook said:

3. I have noticed again and again that the Edge posts, and then within minutes, the site owner posts. Coincidence?

4. Edge, who is purported to be a MENSA genius, is an atrocious speller. One of his latest threads... Interference Interuption... misspells Interruption. That combined with the lousy grammar, the sprinkling of uniquely American sayings, and the over-use of smilies... all point me away from it being him.

5. You've got two mods, well former mods, who are vocally saying that this is not The Edge. Coincidentally, they are also now no longer mods. What's up with that?

6. U2.Com is in the process of a major relaunch. Their new site, presumably with their new forum (thank God) is coming online the same day as their new album. With Propaganda gone, I would assume that this new launch would also include some online fanclub with ticket sales etc. to replace Prop. Why on earth would any band member then, just a couple of weeks ahead of that, go post at a fan site that would pull traffic away from their own official site? It makes no sense. Why would a band member post at one fan site without ever having posted at their own site?

7. To say that The Edge is his own person and posts he makes about U2 on a U2 fan site are not within the domain of interest of their management company is absurd.

8. As has been mentioned several times in various places here, this exact stunt has been pulled before. The Edge himself has posted before, with a "Band" status, and has later been shown to in fact not be The Edge. I realize most of you were not around when that happened, but indeed it did.

9. The Edge has not answered any questions that have not been vague in nature, or that have not been already answered in the press.

10. As far as that interview goes, I believe questions were submitted to U2's management (most likely by email) and that answers were received back from U2's management (also most likely by email). My own personal suspicion is they were answered by someone at the management company and not by the band themselves. If you go read that interview, you will see that band members are almost always referred to in the third person. I believe that is the reason why you haven't seen that interview come down. Staff has been quite careful to not attribute that interview to anyone more specific than "U2".

The time zones thing is wrong, but I agree completely with the rest of this (especially the bit about the appalling grammar and spelling skills :|). I had managed to suspend disbelief until the post with the "self-potrait" which others have mentioned convinced me that it's not The Edge posting here.

Anyway, my question:
Can someone (preferably Elvis) explain the details surrounding the situation that happened several years ago when "The Edge" posted and it was revealed NOT to have been The Edge?

Katey may not be "Edge" in every post, I'm not saying she's acting alone. But I am convinced she started that one thread.

I also stand behind the message in the title of the "Steely Dan" album. She was posting a lot of things about contact with the real Edge that now are turning out not to be true:(

Originally posted by meegannie
but I agree completely with the rest of this (especially the bit about the appalling grammar and spelling skills ).

THAT'S what points to Katey (big shoes to fill...big shoes to fill...) I have noticed since she suddenly showed up here with a high level job over other long term and deserving interferencers that her writing skills were atrocious and I wondered how she was chosen for the job. I've paid a lot of attention to her style (maybe more than I should have) and often critique it myself at home like a teacher would grade a paper for mistakes almost every time I see her post. That's how I was able to notice the connection between "Edge's" "mistakes" and her style :eyebrow:

Also, why would my comments in the EYKIW thread be purposely buried and quickly blown away in a hurry by a flurry of off topic poitical discussion (to which no one can change the subject or get bashed for not caring)? It looks like that was done to hide that part of the thread because the average person only reads the last page. If there was nothing to it why was that done instead of a denial or explaination yesterday? It's all too strange:eyebrow: I also suspect Katey to be 'Caroltheone' the sudden newbie 'cheerleader' poster for the Edge storyline:eyebrow:

One of the threads she (as Katey) started in regards to the Edge situation (the one where everyone clapped and told her well said) was clearly NOT written by her, unless someone else edited it for corrections which is possible, but I also got the idea she was putting her name on things that others had done, and was perhaps some sort of 'fall girl" in case the whole thing fell apart to protect the site? She always posted, it was her credibility on the line, don't blame Elvis? You can call me conspiracy theorist all you want, something is going on here and honest people have been tricked. If there will be no confession or explaination could the charade at least be stopped for the dignity of us all and the site itself, please?

I had managed to suspend disbelief until the post with the "self-potrait" which others have mentioned convinced me that it's not The Edge posting here.

That's one of the things that was really a smoking gun. That's what I meant when I said it went too far and that's when people started to catch on. (among other things already mentioned)

EDIT TO SAY: I just got done looking back on more of "Edge's" other posts, and yes, Brook is right, they all have the writing errors. I guess I was too gullible and starstruck the first few times to pay attention, but looking again, yes I see it:|

I can totally understand why this is not being admitted to, but still, it has to stop. :|

Last edited:
salomeU2000 said:

I am one of the all time best conspiracy theorists... and I could come to the conclusion that you, my dear are "Bono". are you?

I'm not pretending to be. And even if I did, no one is going to give me the status of 'officially the real thing." THAT'S what sets this apart from other people's alters. Everyone who posts with an alter may or may not be intending to mislead people, however, labeling one as being officially a band member when it's not is site endorsed deception, and really, a lie:|

Re: If I see "beLIEve" one more time, I will vomit.

meegannie said:

The time zones thing is wrong, but I agree completely with the rest of this (especially the bit about the appalling grammar and spelling skills :|).

The time zone thing is wrong. My apologies - as someone else noted I had failed to set my time zone. I stand by the rest of the post though, and note other interesting items pointed out in this thread.

martha said:

It doesn't matter really. I only brought it up in my post because one of the ways that the Edge's posting is being defended as being for real is "You still see that interview up on the front page don't you? If this wasn't real then it'd be down because their lawyers would be on us..." etc.

Katey said:

Really now common at least get something substantial besides gee you seem to write and make the same spelling mistakes.

More substantial? What about, works for staff, has been openly bragging ("it's my pleasure") and claiming to be the one in contact with the band, has several times posted that it was you whose credibility was on the line and don't blame Elvis, has access to the things that would make it possible- is that enough, in addition to the writing style? Also I just noticed that the person who posted as salomeU2000 has similar style in that post

damn it, i hate posting in the forum... i do so much better working behind the scenes. But when I feel compelled to do what I must... then I must.

So, I realize this post was made, along with yours, to downplay suspicions but it has raised more for me. Is Katey posting under this username, or does this person write just like Katey and "Edge" :scratch:. Either way, to quote one of my favorite movies, "there's deception of the rankest kind going on here" and if no one will admit it they could at least just let it fade away. I am sure at least 2 staff members are involved in this. But the good people of this site deserve better.

also noted: favoring of the :wink: smilie by poster(s) in question which leaves me with the overuse of the :eyebrow: smilie.

I really need to go before I get myself banned or something, but I can't stand to see people's emotions being toyed with and decent folk being taken as fools. If we can't get to the bottom of this honestly, at least stop the games.

Last edited:
Okay U2Kitten you have stepped a bit off the line here really, if you have a problem with me being staff fine..you seem to have a problem with it from the begining if I recall but this is ridiculous..Like I said I do tend to have bad spelling when I am in a hurry typing etc, I dont check it in the forum and I do not rightfully care that much about it in the forum..When it comes to articles etc.sure I am more careful of course I am.I am very glad you are playing teacher to my spelling but I am fully convinced your time is better spent doing something a bit more productive..Wow I am an awful lot of people it is amazing to me I am able to hold down a job really..spend time with family etc.I will admit to anything that is true I will do that and stand up and take what I deserve for it, I will not however outwardly accuse anyone of anything that makes sense in my mind on this board such that you have..

and now should you bring any of these things to my attention that turned out not to be true that I posted ..I will address those

Last edited:
Thanks Pax. I feel sorry for you and the other mods being caught in the middle of this (and no I don't think any of it is your fault)

More substantial? What about, works for staff, has been openly bragging ("it's my pleasure") and claiming to be the one in contact with the band, has several times posted that it was you whose credibility was on the line and don't blame Elvis, has access to the things that would make it possible- is that enough, in addition to the writing style? Also I just noticed that the person who posted as salomeU2000 has similar style in that post

Such a shame as I sit here shaking my head.
It is understandable to have doubts and come up with elaborate theories; it happens to the best of us. I wouldn't mind being Katey :wink: but alast I'm not.
Had you done your homework correctly, you'd realize I have been on staff for quite some time as producer and now art director. And you would have also remembered you emailed me a link to your personal site a very long time ago wanting to be a part of the staff. Aren't you glad it didn't happen, otherwise you'd be in one of these 'theories'.

I never said you weren't real. I know you are a different person. That doesn't mean she didn't possibly post under the username just that once. I can understand how you all would deny and try to cover things up considering the circumstances. While I can't be totally sure of EXACTLY what's going on, I AM sure Katey is involved, and I am certain something is rotten here and people deserve an explanation or at least a stop to it all.

I can totally understand doubt having to be put on all the accusations here. Some people have said they'd leave the site if this is a hoax. A lot of members are disappointed by it all. Who wouldn't try to cover their butt? You can always try to take it back to the old 'you can believe or you cannot believe' philosophy, which is what is happening by casting doubt onto the doubters and their ideas. However, I'm afraid at this time the points of angela, brook, u2dork and myself are more believable than the idea of Edge actually making those posts.

:| :(

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
I never said you weren't real. I know you are a different person. That doesn't mean she didn't possibly post under the username just that once. I can understand how you all would deny and try to cover things up considering the circumstances. While I can't be totally sure of EXACTLY what's going on, I AM sure Katey is involved, and I am certain something is rotten here and people deserve an explanation or at least a stop to it all.

I can totally understand doubt having to be put on all the accusations here. Some people have said they'd leave the site if this is a hoax. A lot of members are disappointed by it all. Who wouldn't try to cover their butt? You can always try to take it back to the old 'you can believe or you cannot believe' philosophy, which is what is happening by casting doubt onto the doubters and their ideas. However, I'm afraid at this time the points of angela, brook, u2dork and myself are more believable than the idea of Edge actually making those posts.

:| :(

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:
Isn't it funny how the doubtee is instilling doubts into the doubtors. So lets see we all post under each others names..wow that is such a good idea.. careful U2Kitten I may post as you next.

SOME MEMBERS ON THIS BOARD SEEM TO BE PARANOID. MAYBE HAD TOO MANY PILLS FOR BREAKFAST. STOP THIS.

I AM A MEMBER HERE AND I WANT THIS STUPID ACCUSATIONS TO STOP. THIS IS LIKE A FUCKING WAR ON ONE OF THE BOARDS I REALLY LIKE WITH PERSONS I REALLY LIKE. I DON´T CARE SHIT ABOUT DAMN CONSPIRACY THEORIES OF WHOEVER.

I HAVE WORKED IN THE INDUSTRY AND I DON´T CARE IF THE EDGE IS ON THIS BOARD OR NOT UNLESS HE WANTS TO ADDRESS ME. I DON´T CARE IF AN INTERVIEW WAS REPLIED BY PRINCIPLE STAFF OR PERSONALLY - PRACTICALLY ITS THE SAME BECAUSE THE MANAGEMENT REPRESENTS THE BAND. THERE ARE REASONS FOR LETTING MP3S CIRCULATE FREELY - EVER THOUGHT OF MARKETING.

THERE IS NO RESPECT IN ACCUSING ALL THE STAFF OF STUPID SHIT IMO SOME MEMBERS HERE ARE BEHAVING LIKE THE FUCKING WARREN COMMISSION.

Excuse my rant, in another thread I said I would not jump in here and you all know I can be very friendly and diplomatic at times, I can even be NICE but only if I want to. Anyway, enough is enough. As far as I know there is no one called Nixon on this board so what´s the fucking use.

ITS NOT REAL JUST WASTING TIME - Tricky

PEACE AND ONE LOVE

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
..........RE ARE REASONS FOR LETTING MP3S CIRCULATE FREELY - EVER THOUGHT OF MARKETING.

ITS NOT REAL JUST WASTING TIME - Tricky

PEACE AND ONE LOVE

thank you

Thank You..as some one posted before on another thread can't remember who sorry..
War is Over if You Want It

:uhoh:
Uh, I would like to state for the record that I am not accusing or naming anyone as the culprit. I just wanted to point out my suspicions and now that I've done so in the proper thread, I'm going to move on and go look at some nice pictures, read some nice articles and have nice little chats with the other members of the board and hope at some point this is all cleared up.:)

Apart from things I mentioned in my posts earlier, yes, that pic he allegedly posted and I also doubt anyone in the band would go all the way and post the lyrics to the Zoo TV opening song in Everything you know is wrong. I bet none of them even remember it, care about it or have the time to post around on a forum.

There's a specific question for The Edge in As the boys play rock n roll that surprisingly has NOT been answered.

"I don't care if it is The Edge"? Well good for you, but do you not care we're being lied to and cheated if it's not him, not to mention the band's good name and reputation is abused?

Over and over, not only this thread and several other forums, questions have been raised about The Edge. It's time this is settled once and for all.

Last edited:
I'll be pissed if it turns out Edge is fake. We spend money for premium memberships and donate money to a new server and then we find out Edge is fake. So I feel like we are being had and it pisses me off.

This better come clean and out in the open, and if Edge is fake and a mod is faking him, I have no respect for this fansite anymore and I am gone.

Maybe a bit offtopic....maybe not....

Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Alva Edison, Pablo Picasso and Andy warhol were known to be dyslexic.....just to name a few...

Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Alva Edison, Pablo Picasso and Andy warhol were known to be dyslexic.....just to name a few
I feel in good company then:wink:

salomeU2000 said:

:lol: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :lol:
your behaviour in this thread has been more antagonising than mine even

Katey is on about the same level as me

congrats to both of you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom