Bono and Ali at dinner last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
There are run-ins, and there are run-ins.

This was a good one.

I know I haven't been around here for a while, but I figured if any group of people might like to hear this it would be on Interference.

My wife and I went to dinner last night to our favorite Greek restaurant and we sat right next to Bono and Ali. That is the punchline - the build-up is better.

We said hello to the host who always helps us and she said that our table would be ready in about 10 minutes and that we should have a drink at the bar. This usually pisses me off, but since we already had a few drinks in us, what was one more?

We went to the bar and had to stand, but there was one kind of gruff looking young guy sitting at the bar on a stool that he kept trying to offer my wife. We kept refusing and he finally sat back down. My wife and I stood and talked for a bit when he finally said to us, "Hey guys, I do not mean to be rude, but if you see me staring between you, I am not trying to listen to your conversation but rather I am a bodyguard and I need to have direct sight of my client at all times." This obviously piqued my interest and I looked around but could not see anyone famous in clear view. I figured he was either watching a politician I did not recognize, or he was full of crap.

In any event we started talking to this guy who had an accent, but as the restaurant was rather noisy I could not make it out. I said, "Hey where are you from - Greece?" He said, "No Ireland" and then I heard the accent clearly. My wife and I did not want to push and ask who he was here to watch, but our curiosity got the better of us. I said, "Are you protecting someone who is Irish?" He gave a smirk and said yes. I replied, "Well right now there are about 5 very famous Irish guys you would be here for, and four of them are in a band." Again he smirked. My wife finally cut through our crap and said, "Is Bono here?" He smiled and said yes. I almost dropped my drink.

We kept talking to the guy and out of nowhere he said, "Wait until you hear the new album." I said, "Really? you have heard some - I heard they had 50 or 60 parts of songs recorded." He said they do and it is going to blow me away. At this point I still had my doubts about this chap so I said, "Excuse me, I am going to go up to the host and see if our table is almost ready." I walked away (leaving my wife with him, probably not the nicest thing to do) and went to the host station - looking in the direction the guy was constantly looking and bingo there sat Ali and Bono. As I walked away I heard my wife say, "I actually like the Edge better - I have a crush on him" and the guy said "Yeah he is the cooler one."

The host said our table was ready, but was in a quiet part of the restaurant and pointed to the table next to Bono's and asked if that was OK - I think I actually slurred my words when I said yes of course. I went back, got my wife and tried to buy the bodyguard a drink. He said no, but thank you anyway and asked where we were sitting, I said, "Next to your boss."

The way our two tables were laid out my seat was immediately facing Bono and it was really hard to not stare. I actually felt like I had to conciously look away. I mean not 6 feet in front of me sat the one person who has been the most consistent part of my life aside from my immediate family. I have listened to him speak, sing, and grow up for the past 25+ years. It was really something.

Ali is absolutely gorgeous.

She is very skinny and looks much younger in person than some photos lead you to believe. They looked like a really really happy couple and were canoodleing, and kissing at the table - it was very cute. Again - we tried not to stare, but there were a few times I looked up and he was looking right at me. Now, without sounding strange, I have to say it was hard to describe that moment. I mean I have gone to too many shows to count and have sat everywhere from the front row to the rafters, but to sit there and basically look Bono in the eye and not say something to him...

I really considered getting up and saying something to them, or buying them a bottle of wine (that they were drinking) but did not want to be that person. What could I possibly have said, it would have totally interrupted them and they were having such a good time.

They ate and then got their bill which really brought them down to earth. It was actually really strange seeing Ali grab the check and pay. The bodyguard told us he was at Madison Square Garden during the day to see Madonna do her soundcheck, and I think Bono and Ali went to her show last night after dinner.

They got up, gave the waitress a double kiss, Bono threw on his army hat and they were off.

10 minutes later I said to the waitress, "You are still smiling." She replied that they are always at that restaurant, and that they are the nicest people in the world.

It was a great night.

:wave:

You should have put your nuts in his soup.

Then you REALLY woulda had a story.

:up:

ETA: Welcome back, BTW. Long time no see.

Wow what a story! congrats to u! :hi5::applaud:

Were you talking with Brian Murphy (his bodyguard when not on tour)? I have met him and he is a real nice guy.

And can I ask, was this in NYC??

Hello, ouizy!

My wife and I stood and talked for a bit when he finally said to us, "Hey guys, I do not mean to be rude, but if you see me staring between you, I am not trying to listen to your conversation but rather I am a bodyguard and I need to have direct sight of my client at all times." This obviously piqued my interest and I looked around but could not see anyone famous in clear view.

It's a great story and it must have been an awesome experience for you and your wife.

But I can't help wondering why a bodyguard would point out his client like that. He must have realized that you were unaware of Bono being in the restaurant, so why would he want to make it known? He could have just moved to another area where he had a clear view. It seems like the less people who know, the safer an environment it would be, both for him and the person he's being paid to protect.

Sounds like a great story. Doesn't sound like Brian, though, to announce that he's a bodyguard, blah, blah, blah. Seems to me he would just move somewhere else to continue observing Bono. Ali doesn't look real skinny in photos to me, just average. I'm sure you know what you're talking about but just seems kind of strange. Are you absolutely sure it was him?

I am 100% certain it was Bono.

I could hear his conversation, smell his food, and was practically sitting on his lap.

I am not sure what the bodyguard's name was, but Bono it was.

I am 100% certain it was Bono.

I could hear his conversation, smell his food, and was practically sitting on his lap.

I am not sure what the bodyguard's name was, but Bono it was.

Hi Ouizy, long time no see!

Not to invade their privacy too much, but what was the general gist of the conversation? Would love to know what they chat about. And so nice to confirm that they are the happy couple they've always appeared to be.

What were they eating? LOL! :reject:

Very cool Ouizy, very cool.

I think I'd probably let them eat in peace as well, but only because I don't think I'd be able to utter a coherent sentence....

:ohmy:

You are talking about New York,right? So Bono's still there.

I wouldn't have been able to eat anything in Bono's presence.

Quizy, you and your wife are very, very cool fans for not bothering them. I don't know if I could have eaten infront of him. Brian is so very cool and really nice too.
Great experience for you guys, btw what was the name of the resteraunt?

^ sorry, but I don't think it would be fair to give the name of that restaurant here... :down:

ouizy, I love their :heart: picture you gave us with your exciting story :cute: thanks a lot!

Yes - in New York at the restaurant ... (I just removed the name after seing the post above - sorry)

They ate fish (the restaurant is known for its fresh fish) drank red wine, and he had an espresso at the end.

No - it was not the big bald bodyguard - this one was smaller and had salt and pepper hair.

I was also shocked about how much information he gave up - I asked how much longer they would be in town for and he said another week.

Bono was talking US politics (no real opinions) and she was listening intently.

I was also amazed that no one approached them at the table, but then again it is the type of restaurant where during any given night dignitaries, celebrities, and others could all be in the same space at the same time without being bothrered. He did not wear any shades, and she had black-rimmed glasses on. When they took off he threw his hat on and as the restaurant is very crowded in the front they moved pretty quickly and the bodyguard followed about three steps behind from the bar.

we tried not to stare, but there were a few times I looked up and he was looking right at me. Now, without sounding strange, I have to say it was hard to describe that moment. I mean I have gone to too many shows to count and have sat everywhere from the front row to the rafters, but to sit there and basically look Bono in the eye and not say something to him...

I would have winked at him! :sexywink:

AWESOME encounter, thanks for sharing!

FANtastic story ouizy! :up:

I have no idea what I would do if I were sitting at a table next to them. Sounds like you handled it well. Did you actually end up eating? LOL

No - it was not the big bald bodyguard - this one was smaller and had salt and pepper hair.

I was also shocked about how much information he gave up - I asked how much longer they would be in town for and he said another week.

Ouizy, the body guard's name is Brian Murphy. I had a feeling that it was him. He is very distinctive with the salt and pepper hair. Brian is very down to earth and forthcoming so him telling all this info isn't a surprise. When I ran into him at a event in Va a year ago. Me and a few girls were talking with him for a good 30 min. and we asked various questions about Bono and the band he didn't hesitate to tell us this information.

Btw, you handled yourself so well. Not sure I could remained as restrained as you did. Again, thanks for your story and sharing it with us. I am sure you are on cloud 9...:wink:

The bodyguard told us he was at Madison Square Garden during the day to see Madonna do her soundcheck, and I think Bono and Ali went to her show last night after dinner.

:ohmy: I was at Madonna show last night!

Fantastic story, you handled that so well!

Red wine to fish? That's a bad combination. :wink:

Seriously I thought Bono doesn't drink red wine any more because he's allergic to it.

Great story, thanks for the details! :up:

:ohmy:

You are talking about New York,right? So Bono's still there.

I wouldn't have been able to eat anything in Bono's presence.

Of course Bono's still going to be there if not another member of U2 as well(The Edge)...Daniel Lanois is in New York City mixing their album until the middle of next week..I'm sure either Bono or Edge or both of them have a vested interest in how the mixing process is going down..I'd expect Bono or Edge to be in New York at least for another week until Daniel's done.

I love that the bodyguard is singing praises of the new album.

WOW!!:drool:...I know both Brian and John to spill a little more info than maybe they should, I recall a few conversations with John and if JCoaster will recall a certain conversation with Brian a year ago in NY *remember JC?? * and even after JC and blm had gone home we had a little more info than we should have talking to Brian!

CONGRATS ouizy !!! Im shure itwas a FANTASTIC night!!! :D:up:

Back
Top Bottom